SPOILERS FOR THE LAST JEDI!!!!! Scene discussion and fan theory about Rey

Adam_J_K

My personal theory is that Rey is the reincarnation of The Chosen One. If you think about it, it makes a lot of things that were kinda dumb make sense. Like in The Phantom Menace when Qui Gonn takes Anakin to the Jedi Council and tells them he's TCO, they actually believe him, but decided to not train him anyways. That makes no sense! If he's going to destroy the Sith, then they have to train him. Unless TCO is reincarnated every now and then; in which case they can just wait for him to be reincarnated again, this time hopefully in the Republic, and train him/her from a proper age. I mean, who wants to train someone as powerful as TCO starting when they're too old? There's a small but real chance they could go dark side and kill the whole Jedi Order and the Republic too! Better to just wait it out.

I came up with this theory after watching The Force Awakens. Rey was very strong with The Force, and instantly had a Force Vision when she touched her old (as Anakin) lightsaber (the vision even started out with a scene from the last time she was in its presence in Cloud City on Bespin). Near the end, when Kylo Ren is trying to pull the lightsaber from the snow, instead it goes to Rey because it's her lightsaber. She made it in a past life.

Anyways, in The Last Jedi...

... there is a scene where Rey goes into the dark side cave and has a vision where she sees a line of herself mirroring her actions. This line of "Rey's" goes on and on until it gets to a cloudy mirror. She begs to see her parents, and it's just her reflection again. She narrates this all to Luke.

I think that she was shown where she came from. That she has been around many times over the centuries, and that her parents don't really matter, it's her who decides when/where to be reborn.

What do you think? Am I crazy, or am I on to something?

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched TFA again and I noticed something. When Rey is offered to sell BB8 she first grabs the food then hesitates, looks at BB8 and then looks off to the distance.

Yup its clear her parents were nobody who sold her for drinking money. It's clear in that scene that's what she is remembering.

Just watched TFA again and I noticed something. When Rey is offered to sell BB8 she first grabs the food then hesitates, looks at BB8 and then looks off to the distance.

Yup its clear her parents were nobody who sold her for drinking money. It's clear in that scene that's what she is remembering.

Hindsight is 20/20, but admittedly that is a plausible link :)

Agreed. That may be a stretch and she just wants to do the right thing.

However, speaking of hindsight 20/20, I did watch TFA after TLJ and it really felt better. I already liked it, but really seemed to make sense after watching TLJ.

That says a lot for RJ and the job he did to make JJ's story work.

All that remains is for JJ to tie it all together. Think he can do it?

of course it is and i'm not saying that it was all planned out, but neither were any of the big reveals in the OT ie Vader being Luke's father or Luke and Leia being brother and sister.

I'm just saying it all fits together much more nicely now since in TLJ she seems to always have known what her Mother and Father really were.

One thing to consider, perhaps Kylo Ren was not telling the truth.

If her parents were nobodies that sold her for drinking money and died and buried on Jakku, why was she crying as the ship flew away after she was left with the junk dealer there? Presumably, one or both of her parents were on that ship.

Just a thought.

One thing to consider, perhaps Kylo Ren was not telling the truth.

If her parents were nobodies that sold her for drinking money and died and buried on Jakku, why was she crying as the ship flew away after she was left with the junk dealer there? Presumably, one or both of her parents were on that ship.

Just a thought.

but her reaction again she knew he was telling the truth. You're assuming the ship went off world and not to just another part of the planet.

All things considered Kylo hasn't lied once and he knows her parents are junk dealers because he saw it inside of her mind.