BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, the burst damage is in a good place, it's just not available frequently enough...The off healing is in a terrific place, and imo, helps justify us to some degree...Now for the fix to commandos before everyone unsubs and yada yada.

I don't think this is terribly different from what many of us have commented on. Merc dps improved measurably in 2.0 from a pvp standpoint. At least from the view of the one useable subclass - the other subclass remains useless. But it still lags behind other dps subclasses. I'm agnostic about the method by which BW buffs Merc dps. It just needs to be significant. Will it happen? Unknown. That's the problem....

I don't think this is terribly different from what many of us have commented on. Merc dps improved measurably in 2.0 from a pvp standpoint. At least from the view of the one useable subclass - the other subclass remains useless. But it still lags behind other dps subclasses. I'm agnostic about the method by which BW buffs Merc dps. It just needs to be significant. Will it happen? Unknown. That's the problem....

We should be more survivable then snipers, not less.

They should trade our knockouts.

yeah, i just played my sniper for the first time since the patch. i was rusty and forgot some of my keybinds, but was able to do 90% of what i usually do on commando.

It sure doesn't hurt you don't have to worry about ranged interrupts, gap closers, or most stuns.

They nerf our 30 meter stun, but give us nothing to get snipers out of cover as a ranged DPS. They also give us a ranged interrupt which is useful, but useless against all damage dealers except other ranged dps.

We need a lot of work. We're better, but please developers, play rateds and just see how well you do under focus fire. I know we're viable if we have a team built around us, but that's not feasible for 99% of mercenaries. The rare 1% that are the top guild on the server, while being the guild leader may be the exception.

Please do something. I've invested so much time, money, energy and effort into this game. Make it worth something.

^this.

His RbG Team is pretty damn successful with a mando in their lineup.

Did mention that with certain groups they have their roll. However when a mercenary is focused his damage output drops too dramatically in comparison to the damage output of say a sorc or sniper. Hell any other class can still keep outputting damage. Between every single stun in the game and interrupt, there are many classes that can effectively nullify our ability. The issue is that we're like a healer in this regard, while our dps counterparts have an easier time relocating. (Force sprint) and (16 meter roll + tech immunity) Not to mention high tail it.

Add to the fact snipers has so many defensive tools, (3 minute Aoe shield that guards an area) and cover. In addition to all the utility, ranged 30 meter aoe 8 second mez. The 20% armor debuff + a 8 second uncleansable healing debuff. Then they also have the damage. A ranged execute. There really is no comparison when it comes to how much a class brings. With how armor isn't as powerful anymore, the difference between medium and heavy really doesn't make up for our cd's.

From my experience in ranked games since 2.0 hit, snipers are easier to kill than mercenaries.

Only because they are stupider. I can't tell you how many snipers I have fought and they do nothing other than shoot at you. No repositioning. No trying to break LoS when they are obviously losing. And most glaringly, no use of their defensive shields. There are some good ones, but let's face it, the sniper/gunslinger classes are the refugee of the low skill, clicker, keyboard turning, no stim using player base.

Did mention that with certain groups they have their roll. However when a mercenary is focused his damage output drops too dramatically in comparison to the damage output of say a sorc or sniper. Hell any other class can still keep outputting damage. Between every single stun in the game and interrupt, there are many classes that can effectively nullify our ability. The issue is that we're like a healer in this regard, while our dps counterparts have an easier time relocating. (Force sprint) and (16 meter roll + tech immunity) Not to mention high tail it.

errrm....wrong

not really. sorcs are able to put out a nasty amount of damage

While being focused? Not at all. Shock. That's it. And a merc is significantly more survivable than a sniper thanks to hydraulic overrides and self cleanse and self heals. I guess you could be talking about madness spec - but that's not a rated warzone spec - and pyro is the closer spec to madness than arsenal which is much more similar to lightning.

Edited by dcgregorya

And a merc is significantly more survivable than a sniper thanks to hydraulic overrides and self cleanse and self heals. .

this is false. they both shred melee from range, but when a melee is on a mando, it's game over. pray you have electro net up (1 in 4 encounters) or that the idiot used his closer to reach you and can be punted. it's laughable, but 2 of the 3 medium armored classes (snipers, maras) have better face tanking skills than the heavily armored mandos/pts. it's laughable from a lore standpoint. I don't really care at this point.

this is false. they both shred melee from range, but when a melee is on a mando, it's game over. pray you have electro net up (1 in 4 encounters) or that the idiot used his closer to reach you and can be punted. it's laughable, but 2 of the 3 medium armored classes (snipers, maras) have better face tanking skills than the heavily armored mandos/pts. it's laughable from a lore standpoint. I don't really care at this point.

Are you talking about regular warzones? ... Sigh. If you're queueing solo for regular warzones and expect to steamroll any class you're hopelessly deluded.

In ranked warzones however, a gunnery mando really shines. The burst is incredible and we're quite sturdy.

Of course we suffer from melees focusing and interrupting us. But which caster class doesn't?

finally got into some ranked matches. honestly, i felt that commando is pretty good. i still want a shorter tech override cooldown somehow, its not ready nearly a third of how often i really need to use it.

my biggest issue was with the crit rate. granted i have no crit in my build, so its partially my fault, but burst is entirely dependent on landing crits. if i got crits, my burst was competitive. if i didnt, i was just tickling people while they got healed back up.

but in general, survivability was good, mobility was good, and my damage output was towards the top of the chart in most of the matches. i think that if tech override gets a shorter cooldown there really wont be anything left to complain about.

finally got into some ranked matches. honestly, i felt that commando is pretty good. i still want a shorter tech override cooldown somehow, its not ready nearly a third of how often i really need to use it.

my biggest issue was with the crit rate. granted i have no crit in my build, so its partially my fault, but burst is entirely dependent on landing crits. if i got crits, my burst was competitive. if i didnt, i was just tickling people while they got healed back up.

but in general, survivability was good, mobility was good, and my damage output was towards the top of the chart in most of the matches. i think that if tech override gets a shorter cooldown there really wont be anything left to complain about.

well ya for dps.....:(

well ya for dps.....:(

I tried, but here are the two changes they should do for the commando/merc healing, this would make healing really fun (and potentially replace the sage healer in rateds?!?!):

1) Kolto bomb ticks higher on everyone within the aoe, and the heal to yourself is 2x more on kolto. This will also boost the self healing we need to get us closer to force mend.

2) Casting hammer shot (green beam of death) 3 times on same player places a bubble on that target. That's the best idea I've had since HTL finishing the cd on tech override.

Such an easy fix and the commando healer is viable again. Bioware get to it...

Edited by ciTriChOtshOt

In ranked warzones however, a gunnery mando really shines. The burst is incredible and we're quite sturdy.

finally got into some ranked matches. honestly, i felt that commando is pretty good.

in general, survivability was good, mobility was good, and my damage output was towards the top of the chart in most of the matches.

Sounds like class is OP, isn't it? :rolleyes:

And if class is OP, its need nerf :o

Are you talking about regular warzones? ... Sigh. If you're queueing solo for regular warzones and expect to steamroll any class you're hopelessly deluded.

Of course we suffer from melees focusing and interrupting us. But which caster class doesn't?

Um, snipers?

Sounds like class is OP, isn't it? :rolleyes:

And if class is OP, its need nerf :o

When 2-3 mercs are MANDATORY in RWZs like they used to be with smashers, then we'll talk about what is OP. Right now, we're debating whether ONE is viable. ONE.

And it looks like ONE might be viable! Maybe. Once in a blue moon. But not for healing.

NEEEEEERF.

May every Merc you ever see save his electronets just for you. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jherad

When 2-3 mercs are MANDATORY in RWZs like they used to be with smashers, then we'll talk about what is OP. Right now, we're debating whether ONE is viable. ONE.

And it looks like ONE might be viable!

NEEEEEERF.

May every Merc you ever see save his electronets just for you. :rolleyes:

is that guy serious? i thought he was saying that sarcastically. yikes :eek:

and there is nothing like electronetting an enemy healer under focus fire. they melt :D