Augment slot on all gear 1.3

Kosef

That does indeed make sense. If you can currently create an equippable item with an augment slot, you should be able to create an augment kit for that item. It opens the market up significantly.

For the reasons stated above, I hope they will be better focussed and not cross-skill.

This is so awesome can't wait for 1.3 to hit.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying that anyone should be held back as far as appearances, only that it should be players should have access to the schematics and be able to contribute to an actual economy rather than simply mass producing augment kits.

This ^^

This is actually an incredible opportunity to get not only the economy jump started, but more game content started as well.

There are so many good looking pieces of armor that players want, but crafters are currently unable to provide. Some of these armor pieces just aren't moddable, others ARE moddable but they don't have a schematic in order to mass produce.

Personally I agree with Karl. Allowing crafters access to make a WIDE AND VARIED assortment of goods is much, MUCH better than allowing all 1 million plus subscribers to make ONE, COMMON thing. The most boring economy I can picture.

If Bioware was creative, they would make a quest chain, similar to the recent Rakghoul plague. Maybe you raid an old, abandoned factory.

You obtain a random schematic.

You drive traffic to a specific area that way, encouraging open-world PvP.

I think the augment table will be valued in order to solve the problem of using social gear as BiS. But I think it should stop there.

That does indeed make sense. If you can currently create an equippable item with an augment slot, you should be able to create an augment kit for that item. It opens the market up significantly.

For the reasons stated above, I hope they will be better focussed and not cross-skill.

The problem with focusing it is that some people may not know what kind of kit to buy for their armor. Crafters would obviously know but what about non-crafters. What's going to happen when someone wearing Armormech armor buys a Synthweaving kit for it? You can't even say that Bounty Hunters need to buy Armormech kits because what if they have orange custom armor that was made by a Synthweaver?

What would keep a level 50 from using a level 1 item and get the same benefit?.

The same thing that's preventing them from using a lvl 11 or 15 or 19 or whatever item now. Nothing. If they want the look of the higher level item though, they have to use the higher level augment.

And, more importantly, if they don't want to pay 100k or whatever it is to strip the mods out of their raid gear. (assuming the raid gear even HAS mods... IIRC bracers/belts don't) They'll have to buy that high level augment. Which would presumably be cheaper than 100k to buy from a crafter, and presumably cost less than 100k for the crafter to make.

So adventurer saves money, crafter makes money. Win/win.

The current and the upcoming crafting system is not that i was expected from the game ,because the items that i reverse engineer in the levels from 1 up to 50 level are total useless for players.

i know that was your choise to give to all the players from the beginning the possibility for an easy leveling route ( now i am sure that you are very dissapointed for your Decision ) but also you discourage players to be dedicated crafters .

i have crafted many superior parts in syntweaving but ppls didn't want to buy my work because they are viable in heroics and fp with green or blue armor from drops and quest rewards.

In 50 lvl the current system in synthweaving is unfinished . i have 49 war hero armor parts without augment that are waiting from me to take them from email because nobody needs them and i can sell them for only 1 credit in vendors.

the upcoming system will resolve one part of the problem but it will not fix the problem that i have as dedicated crafter .

as a crafter i want to create really shops ( put level shops if you like ) and not to sell and buy for only two days .i want an neutral area where the two factions can trade items in peace. i want to have better critical change if i have craft 1000 more armors than a crafter that just hit the 400 skill level.

i want to be a dedicated crafter in swtor . is that possible ?

Edited by SWTOR-GR

Why would you need such things to be a dedicated crafter?

Having an item on sale for more than 48 hours is a bad thing, i never put them for more than 24 hours since the prices go up and down on a daily basis.

You can already have higher crit rate if you invest in crafting, that's what your droid is for. Maybe that it's bonuses are not a complete set, but the system is in place at least.

The only thing that i as a dedicated crafter would like is an higher slot number at the GTN.

Augment kits are tiered.

How are they tiered? That is the question that is going to make or break the system.

If I might make a suggestion, tier the items by their highest potential level, not just their actual level. So then orange pieces would always require the highest tier of augment kit even if their actual level was much lower. Have them give augment kit parts based on their actual level when REed. So then if a person really wants to keep the look of the armor from a low level orange it's the same augment kit as would be required on a max level orange and they can get an augment slot on it through a crit craft or through adding the highest level augment kit. Yet if they were to RE that low level orange all they would get would be low level augment kit parts that would only be useful for low level non-moddable gear. Either that or just make it so that orange/purple gear doesn't give augment kit parts when REed.

That way the only reason to craft low level oranges would be for their actual appearance.

Edited by Rouncer

Yes.

I expect that many people will not use those 10 crafts on the item they want. Instead, they'll make one copy of the item, then if it does not crit they'll make 10 cheap items that fall into the same range and provide the necessary component.

Imo a better way to make people still want to crit orange gear would be to make those added augment slot not reusable. So you will still want to get those true crit orange crafted gear but you can settle for a temporary augment until then ( or keep buying augment slot).

Quote: Originally Posted by Sithhelmet

2. What items will be RE'able to get the materials to make the kits?

Crafted gear.

Its only armour not weapons, and only the new end game armour from 1.2 (campaign, war hero) right?

I expect that many people will not use those 10 crafts on the item they want. Instead, they'll make one copy of the item, then if it does not crit they'll make 10 cheap items that fall into the same range and provide the necessary component.

More I think about this, more I think that the "range" (or tier) can't JUST be level, but also needs to be quality.

i.e. to add an augment slot to a lvl 49 purple item, you have to use a lvl 49-50 purple augmenter, which requires mats that come from REing lvl 49-50 purple items. (You could still add purple augments to a green item that had it's augment slot added via a green augmenter)

Orange should probably be considered either it's own entity (giving orange augment mats) or purple.

By and large, items that take lots of mats only take 2x as much of the blue mats (or same number, if purple) as the cheaper items to make. On average, it takes you 4-5 tries (depending on crit bonus) to create an augmented version.

So, crafting 1 thing you're trying for, then (if that fails) crafting 10 cheap things of the same range will end up, on average, to cost about the same number of the expensive mats (if not more, for purples) than simply keep trying the actual item until it crits.

Just that you will also, on average, get out 4/10ths of a bonus augmenter if going after the actual item you want to craft.

(Incidentally, I'd also be inclined to argue that augmenting something should bind it.

I really do try to stay positive and look at the positives in every crew skill (and the game as a whole). But after reading this new information on the addition of augments to non-critted/regular gear - it's starting to sound like one big headache. It seems like it would just be nicer to be able to actually DO something without having to mess with a crafter. We already buy the armor and augments and mods from crafters. Just let us go to an augment table and put the damn agument in the gear!

Really, it's just starting to be to much.

Yes.

Augment kits are tiered.

I like to think this mean we will be able to add augment slots to _all orange items_ not just the crafted ones. Is that correct?

If so this sounds great!

Finally people would not have to choose between the look they like and the performance they want.

If this is true thank you Bioware.:)

Oh... and give us more orange gear ;)

*dream mode* Best... make all gear RE_able to render an orange version. And give us that Thana vesh outfit */dream mode*

Your expectations are way, way off. What will happen is that thousands of cheap high level items will be crafted and reverse-engineered to get the mats and then sell the augment kits for maximum profit, because, frankly, many players have non-crafted equipment of which they want to keep the style, and all those who just did not bother with crit-crafted stuff for this reason will have an enormous demand for augment kits.

At the same time, those without many millions of credits (the majority according to data presented on the guild summit) on their accounts will still get the shaft.

Edited by Mephane

So, lets talk specifics. Lets say, I've made the orange, lev 400 blaster - Two Finger's Revenge. It took me some durasteel / zal alloy, along with 10 blue mats from lev 49-50 missions, and 3 lev 7 exotic crafting mats - biometric cell.

Of course, it was not critical hit, so no augments. To get the augment slot, I need to RE 10 items. But, the question is, any lev 400 armstech weapon be sufficient, or do I need to craft 10x orange lev 400 weapons, to get an augment hit.

If it's the latter case, then the crafting system will be pointless, becasue, if I make 10 orange blasters, there is a nice change, especially with armstech crit companion, that I'll get augmented weapon before I get an augment.

So, lets talk specifics. Lets say, I've made the orange, lev 400 blaster - Two Finger's Revenge. It took me some durasteel / zal alloy, along with 10 blue mats from lev 49-50 missions, and 3 lev 7 exotic crafting mats - biometric cell.

Of course, it was not critical hit, so no augments. To get the augment slot, I need to RE 10 items. But, the question is, any lev 400 armstech weapon be sufficient, or do I need to craft 10x orange lev 400 weapons, to get an augment hit.

If it's the latter case, then the crafting system will be pointless, becasue, if I make 10 orange blasters, there is a nice change, especially with armstech crit companion, that I'll get augmented weapon before I get an augment.

This is the extreme case that will be very uncomfortable for a dev to comment on. You're talking about a moddable, offhand only blaster with a VERY COOL skin. One that's very desirable to dual-wielders. So if you're determined to get an augmented version, let's say you run off 5 in a row with Corso. You exhaust your supply of alloys (15). Burn through the expensive materials and come out with 1 augmented version and 4 non-augmented versions.

In reality, you created the blaster that you wanted but now you're stuck with 4 'Flashies'. You literally have 4 guns that may have level 50 blue mods in it, but for all intents and purposes the gun itself is no better than any other random, moddable blaster drop. The only difference is this one is offhand only and has a great graphic skin.

So if the devs are saying you can create 10, 'green' blasters and get the augment kit material.....

Then you're printing money.

This is a band-aid change. It's coming into the game because players want to be able to run around in slave-top bikinis and not get a handicap for it. Even on Hoth.

The unintended consequence is that ALL orange gear up for sale on the GTN will now have an augment slot in it. Meaning anything without one will be poo.

'Disposable', gear will be hard to find because players will stop selling those drops on the GTN and reverse engineer for augment kit materials. If new players thought finding gear on the GTN was hard before, they're in for a shock in 1.3.

The devs again, have taken something 'uncommon' and made it common because that's what everyone wants (the best gear).

Edited by CompassRose

You are right Compass. It took me a lot of money / time to get my 6 biometric cells for the pair of lev 48 blasters - some I bought, some I, by luck took from space dailies crates. But, lets just say, I bought it by my server price - 140k per cell, that is 520k + other mats, lets just make it 550k.

As I do not raid or do HM, and I hate doing dailies daily, it's a certain investment for such blaster. and hell, it feel really an achievment to be able to soon wield one (still on lev 40 with my BH). To make 3 or 5, to get one augmneted would really require investment of both time and money. But it would feel great.

Also I could live without augmented version - for normal FPs and OPS, you could manage without maxed gear and augmented stuff. But, if everything now will hae augments, anyone who hasn't got augmented stuff might hear "**** from the group".

Also, I believe you have to make choices in MMO - you want augmented weapon, work for it, burn money and time, to get something better and unique. If not, then you should take some responsibility, like not being able to access the "elite content". I'm cool with not being able to do HM OPS, because I don't have enough time to spend it on gearing myself.

Right now, as everything on GTN will be augmented, maybe devs should just stop bothering, and add the augment stats to items, without making us crafting the kits ;)

The problem with focusing it is that some people may not know what kind of kit to buy for their armor. Crafters would obviously know but what about non-crafters. What's going to happen when someone wearing Armormech armor buys a Synthweaving kit for it? You can't even say that Bounty Hunters need to buy Armormech kits because what if they have orange custom armor that was made by a Synthweaver?

Generally, people can tell that stuff intended to be used by a Force user is Synthwoven (Strength or Willpower), and stuff intended to be used by Tech users is Armorcrafted (Aim or Cunning). Of course, there are grey areas, such as orange shells usable by two categories, but there is another possibility: Dropped items already have the information on what skill can be used to create them encoded, because the "disassemble" option pops up in group loot when someone has the right skill to reverse-engineer it. So, it would just be a matter of updating the item tooltip to include that infomation -- eg "Use Synthweaving Kit 5 to add augument slot".

This is the extreme case that will be very uncomfortable for a dev to comment on. You're talking about a moddable, offhand only blaster with a VERY COOL skin. One that's very desirable to dual-wielders. So if you're determined to get an augmented version, let's say you run off 5 in a row with Corso. You exhaust your supply of alloys (15). Burn through the expensive materials and come out with 1 augmented version and 4 non-augmented versions.

In reality, you created the blaster that you wanted but now you're stuck with 4 'Flashies'. You literally have 4 guns that may have level 50 blue mods in it, but for all intents and purposes the gun itself is no better than any other random, moddable blaster drop. The only difference is this one is offhand only and has a great graphic skin.

So if the devs are saying you can create 10, 'green' blasters and get the augment kit material.....

Then you're printing money.

This is a band-aid change. It's coming into the game because players want to be able to run around in slave-top bikinis and not get a handicap for it. Even on Hoth.

The unintended consequence is that ALL orange gear up for sale on the GTN will now have an augment slot in it. Meaning anything without one will be poo.

'Disposable', gear will be hard to find because players will stop selling those drops on the GTN and reverse engineer for augment kit materials. If new players thought finding gear on the GTN was hard before, they're in for a shock in 1.3.

The devs again, have taken something 'uncommon' and made it common because that's what everyone wants (the best gear).

The primary problem is that the augment slot is tied to a RNG crit mechanic. RNG crit on crafting is fine if the reward is an extra item (like stims and mods), but not when it changes the value of the individual item. At that point, it becomes fail. It is ludicrous to have to queue up 5 or 10 <insert moddable name here> chestpieces only to cross your fingers on whether you get a usable piece or not.

As it is in 1.2: if it's not augmented, it's trash except for a very tiny number of people who want that specific appearance and don't care about an augment slot.

It would be much better if crafted gear automatically came with the augment slot and RNG crits did something else that did not impact the quality of the finished product. That something else might be a reduction in the materials it took to make the item, an extra copy, a reduction in the time for the companion to make the next piece or even a standalone augment kit. The point is it will be fail for a crafting system to modify the finished product on crit chance that is entirely outside of the player's ability to control, no matter how many band-aides get thrown on the system.

During my last War Hero gear job, I came to the point of regretting my decision to take on Armormech and spending the time to level it up pre-1.2. I essentially made almost 7 complete sets of War Hero gear to get enough augmented pieces to make my guildy his single set of augmented gear. This was not fun at all. I did a mountain of missions to get more materials (Ciridium). I used my only companion with an Armormech bonus (+5 crit) and still had to make about 27 pieces to get 5 augmented pieces. I couldn't even find guildies to give the standard versions of the gear to - I finally just vendored most of it for 1 credit to open up inventory space.

Fail system is fail. It will be fail until Bioware wises up and removes the augment slot from RNG crit.

Edited by Raeln

The primary problem is that the augment slot is tied to a RNG crit mechanic. RNG crit on crafting is fine if the reward is an extra item (like stims and mods), but not when it changes the value of the individual item. At that point, it becomes fail. It is ludicrous to have to queue up 5 or 10 <insert moddable name here> chestpieces only to cross your fingers on whether you get a usable piece or not.

As it is in 1.2: if it's not augmented, it's trash except for a very tiny number of people who want that specific appearance and don't care about an augment slot.

Fail system is fail. It will be fail until Bioware wises up and removes the augment slot from RNG crit.

Disagree. If every piece of orange gear automatically had an augment slot, then it would be a joke. The market would be flooded with augmented gear and it would be worthless to sell. Why not just hand everyone augment slots when they create a character?

Is it a pain to try for a specific piece of armor and have to craft 7 or 8 just to crit on one? Sure. But I'm selling augmented gear typically from anywhere between 60k to 150k, so am I really not losing out because I have a few extras. Besides, I've been able to sell all my extras for 3k to 8k each...although I may have to throw them back on the GTN once or twice before they sell. Keep in mind, there is really no need for augmented gear while leveling (other than an OCD, min/max complex) so plenty of people are content to buy gear without augment slots before their toon hits the higher levels. So even on the low end, if I end up crafting 5 pieces and only one crits, then I'm still selling all 5 for about 75k combined if it's a less desirable piece and the mats cost me much, much less than that. So it's profitable for someone that has a little patience. I can see the A.D.D, gotta-have-everything-right-this-second, instant gratification crowd not being a fan of the system though.

Obviously they aren't going to remove the crit part of things as they are adding the augment kits to 1.3. I'd rather have the crit + augment slot system as it makes the critted gear more valuable to sell, there will now be crafted augment kits to sell (and those should be pretty valuable on the GTN) and now I'll be able to use some of that flashpoint gear for end-game stuff that's been sitting in storage because I'll be able to add an augment slot to it through the kits.

Disagree. If every piece of orange gear automatically had an augment slot, then it would be a joke. The market would be flooded with augmented gear and it would be worthless to sell. Why not just hand everyone augment slots when they create a character?

Is it a pain to try for a specific piece of armor and have to craft 7 or 8 just to crit on one? Sure. But I'm selling augmented gear typically from anywhere between 60k to 150k, so am I really not losing out because I have a few extras. Besides, I've been able to sell all my extras for 3k to 8k each...although I may have to throw them back on the GTN once or twice before they sell. Keep in mind, there is really no need for augmented gear while leveling (other than an OCD, min/max complex) so plenty of people are content to buy gear without augment slots before their toon hits the higher levels. So even on the low end, if I end up crafting 5 pieces and only one crits, then I'm still selling all 5 for about 75k combined if it's a less desirable piece and the mats cost me much, much less than that. So it's profitable for someone that has a little patience. I can see the A.D.D, gotta-have-everything-right-this-second, instant gratification crowd not being a fan of the system though.

Obviously they aren't going to remove the crit part of things as they are adding the augment kits to 1.3. I'd rather have the crit + augment slot system as it makes the critted gear more valuable to sell, there will now be crafted augment kits to sell (and those should be pretty valuable on the GTN) and now I'll be able to use some of that flashpoint gear for end-game stuff that's been sitting in storage because I'll be able to add an augment slot to it through the kits.

No, they aren't removing the crit augment mechanic - they are just marginalizing it. Considering the lack of good looking sets of moddable gear to make, many people will likely prefer to just buy an augment kit - thus rendering the augmented gear market in an unhealthy state.

Yes, all moddable gear should just be augmented from the start. Do you realize how inconvenient it is to try to price someone a set of augmented gear when you may get lucky and crit the first 5 combines or unlucky and have to make 30+ pieces to get the full set? You can't price that to a would-be client. Now imagine that being applied to any salesman in the real world -

You - "Mr. Salesman, how much will it cost to get this gun with the super-special scope on it?"

Mr. Salesman - "Um well, it depends on how many different guns and scopes they have to make before they find one that works together."

You - "Uh, what does that even mean? It's a gun, not a surgical laser. Bolt the scope on it and sight it in."

Mr. Salesman - "Well, it may cost $500 - it may cost $250,000. We won't know for sure until the gun is made."

You - "Are you serious? You're supposed to be an expert and you can't even tell me how much it will cost to buy one of your products?"

^^^ That sir, is a company that won't be in business very long.

Edited by Raeln

You - "mr. Salesman, how much will it cost to get this gun with the super-special scope on it?"

mr. Salesman - "um well, it depends on how many different guns and scopes they have to make before they find one that works together."

you - "uh, what does that even mean? It's a gun, not a surgical laser. Bolt the scope on it and sight it in."

mr. Salesman - "well, it may cost $500 - it may cost $250,000. We won't know for sure until the gun is made."

you - "are you serious? You're supposed to be an expert and you can't even tell me how much it will cost to buy one of your products?"

^^^ that sir, is a company that won't be in business very long.

roflmao