lack of story/dialogue in flashpoints...

don't get me wrong. i LOVE this game. i still rush home from work to play all night every day, and will continue to do so...

but man, black talon was so good. lots of story segments, lots of player dialogue/choices..

hammer station, athiss, mandalorian raiders, and cademimu (spelling not sure on last one) - the first 4 after black talon..

all identical. and not in a good way. the combat's fine, the bosses/level design are fine...

but there's literally the same thing for all 4.

a: talk to malgus via holo terminal

b: go in, halfway thru, hit spacebar after a series of who-gives-a-darn text, then choose either light side (save random people) or dark side (kill said random people). with no dialogue, just the winning character pressing a button on a machine

c: talk to malgus via holo terminal after you leave

that's it.

anyone else disappointed in that?

i'm HOPING some instances in future will be as immersing as black talon.

at least the "operations" at 50, etc.

this is a big big turn off so far. After BT they get lame fast.

yea... i think it's a typical thing for bioware since EA got them.. they focus on a great start to games.. it's smart... gets people to stick w/it...

i just wish they had same effort in the later ones......

I think about 1/2 of the flashpoints are awesome. tarval V, jedi prisoner, Athiss, Directive 7, the one where u have to fight versions of your group members, the one where u fight a team of the other factions classes. the ones that i cant remember obviously lacks intrigue. battle of ilum or ilum beseiged was pretty epic if you care about the story of the game.

still need to do foundry and upward for sith.

don't get me wrong. i LOVE this game. i still rush home from work to play all night every day, and will continue to do so...

but man, black talon was so good. lots of story segments, lots of player dialogue/choices..

hammer station, athiss, mandalorian raiders, and cademimu (spelling not sure on last one) - the first 4 after black talon..

all identical. and not in a good way. the combat's fine, the bosses/level design are fine...

but there's literally the same thing for all 4.

a: talk to malgus via holo terminal

b: go in, halfway thru, hit spacebar after a series of who-gives-a-darn text, then choose either light side (save random people) or dark side (kill said random people). with no dialogue, just the winning character pressing a button on a machine

c: talk to malgus via holo terminal after you leave

that's it.

anyone else disappointed in that?

i'm HOPING some instances in future will be as immersing as black talon.

at least the "operations" at 50, etc.

The 30-40 Flashpoints and some endgame ones have as much dialogue as BT.

And honestly, all that dialogue gets old....fast...

No, it doesn''t. Story can be atmosphere, boss voice-overs, NPC interactions, relevance of our involvement. It does not have to equate conversation wheel.

Don''t be so narrow minded.

i just disagree.

bioware's tool for storytelling, which is a fantstic one, is the player being involved in the dialogue. that's HOW they tell stories in Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc. also in every quest in SWTOR.

this is the tool they use. the flashpoints referenced in this thread have been done lazily and/or rushed.

Hammer station has a great story that has no need for the standard wheel.

That said the reason NONE of these have that is because they were all created and thrown in during the last legs of Beta. Black Talon, Esseles, Taral V... and such were all fully fleshed out and tested for many builds, these intermediary ones were not.

Hammer station has a great story that has no need for the standard wheel.

That said the reason NONE of these have that is because they were all created and thrown in during the last legs of Beta. Black Talon, Esseles, Taral V... and such were all fully fleshed out and tested for many builds, these intermediary ones were not.

ya, that much is clear to me, i just wish they incorporated more dialogue. it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard... just re-write the text into a holo visual of an npc explaining things, etc...

I just did Boarding Part last night(Empire, lvl 33 FP) and it was the first FP since BT that actually had a lot of dialouge and written story behind it. It was a nice change of pace from Hammer Station, Athiss, Mando and Cademinu...but i wouldn't want to have to go through that every FP. Sometimes its just fun to run in and spank some mobs and get some gear.

Though the second time i did Boarding Party, two of the security chests were locked and inaccessible...not a happy camper after that.

No, it doesn''t. Story can be atmosphere, boss voice-overs, NPC interactions, relevance of our involvement. It does not have to equate conversation wheel.

Don''t be so narrow minded.

But then I'd have to admit that other MMOs might have story too and that would ruin the only thing that this game has going for it :(.

I agree, we ran hammerstation last night, and I cant even tell you what the hell we were doing there. Just felt like I was running through a dungeon in any other game, though the final boss battle was very tough and well thought out. Granted having a very weak player made it worse, it was still a nice surprise for such an early instance. I guess had the idiot jedi not been rushing from spot to spot like this was a damn random dungeon finder mission in wow, it could of been better, but I miss the dialouge. Me and my buddy on skype were laughing are asses off at the stuff our characters were saying in the first one.

Oh well, as long as the latter ones get better, Ill look past it. At least the encounters themselves are more than just basic tank and spanks.

I agree, we ran hammerstation last night, and I cant even tell you what the hell we were doing there. Just felt like I was running through a dungeon in any other game, though the final boss battle was very tough and well thought out. Granted having a very weak player made it worse, it was still a nice surprise for such an early instance. I guess had the idiot jedi not been rushing from spot to spot like this was a damn random dungeon finder mission in wow, it could of been better, but I miss the dialouge. Me and my buddy on skype were laughing are asses off at the stuff our characters were saying in the first one.

Oh well, as long as the latter ones get better, Ill look past it. At least the encounters themselves are more than just basic tank and spanks.

yep, you're echoing my exact feelings.. not a clue what hammerstation was about.

And then you start farming Flashpoints on expert mode for better gear and you realize that you've heard the same story 10 times already...

This. Not only that but I agree that it doesn't take a lot of dialog and decisions to make a good story. Its everything.

a long long time ago in a beta far far away, these FP had 0! none , zip dialogue/text/ls/ds and there was outcry. hence they did the lame text patch cuz they seem to have rushed everything towards the end. So in that case they did add at lest something but there reasoning for no dialogue was that "other" players just wanted to get in do missions and get out and not repeat dialogues over and over again because it got old fast. In this i agree and in hopes i too wish they add 1 or 2 cut scene/ dialogue wheels per FP , to at lest talk to the last main boss or something. :rolleyes: Edited by pawnstar

i just disagree.

bioware's tool for storytelling, which is a fantstic one, is the player being involved in the dialogue. that's HOW they tell stories in Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc. also in every quest in SWTOR.

this is the tool they use. the flashpoints referenced in this thread have been done lazily and/or rushed.

Your opinion is fine. But you cannot stand up and say "these flashpoints lack story." It's just not true. It's as if you think you're running through a cave with mobs that all look the same.

The claim is just ridiculous.

Your opinion is fine. But you cannot stand up and say "these flashpoints lack story." It's just not true. It's as if you think you're running through a cave with mobs that all look the same.

The claim is just ridiculous.

agree to disagree! :)

could have option to skip, then...

Mash. Spacebar.

That said, my real gripe with the lack of dialogue is the hindered increase to Social points.

On Tatooine, the social vendor calls for Social III. Having grouped only for group content, I don't even have Social II yet. I understand that dialogue is not the only way to have story, but adding some pre-boss dialogue choices would help some with the social points. Even if the choices don't do anything... I mean, even the wimpy guard at the start of BT has two dialogue choices.

I wouldn't care at all about the lack of dialogue in these if it didn't make me feel like I had to either group for random quest accepting/turn in or grind BT to get the various social vendor outfits.

I suggest adding a social point bonus to the flashpoint clear rewards, based on party size (And larger for later flashpoints). Possibly contingent on how much dialogue is there otherwise. I don't see why Hammer Station is maybe 20 social points at best (If you group for the Malgus conversations before/after), while Black Talon gives well over a hundred.

Edited by Randomness