2859 RWZ Rated Juggernaut PvP Movie

selimonengut

Its okay. Most of these people who are anti-backpedalling are the same idiots who complain because in the half-second it took them to turn their screen they didn't realize that their opponites blew a cooldown like bloodthirst. They turn back and jump into the fray only to get decimated by those 3000+ damage hits.

Or in the half a second it took for them to strafe back, they didn't see that a powertech, or assassin used their pull. These guys proceed to stun them (assuming their competent) in a huttball match when they should've been stunning the other powertech/assassin who still has their pull.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strafe most of the time, I don't have an issue with key binds with a 16 button mouse so I left backpedal binded. I still use it occasionally for positioning reasons or if I don't want to turn my camera angle just to move backward a few feet to get positioning on a key ability that requires me to be facing the target. Edited by DimeStax

Outside of TAS (tool-assisted speedruns), it's virtually impossible to see 'skill 'in videos to begin with. Go look at the clips for major fighting game tournaments for example. They're rarely anything impressive but you sure won't be able to beat anybody who made it to the final round even though it looks like it's something anyone can do. Edited by Astarica

Speed isn't always > than Positioning. Backpedaling is still useful for positioning,

If I understand you correctly, here is one instance i feel backpedalling will be a little bit more useful.

==================================================

BP = back pedal

© = you

◊ = charge target

- - - - -> = min charge range / distance between © and ◊

Scenario 1: BP > Strafe

Goal: © - - - - -> ◊

1. © - - - -> ◊ = can not charge (BP~0.15 seconds to get to get to Goal: © - - - - -> ◊ )

2. backpedal for 0.15 seconds**

3. © - - - - -> ◊ = charge

** said player instead used Strafe = resulted in ~0.50*EDIT FOR ~MTGREX second to reach Goal (due to hitting key + mouse turn)

Also Strafe depended on player skill; might take longer for some people

Scenario 2: Strafe > BP

1. © - ◊ = strafe + camera turn to get into min range (BP ~6 seconds to get to Goal: © - - - - -> ◊ , Strafe takes 2 sec)

2. © - - ◊ = strafe + camera turn to get into min range (BP ~4 seconds to get to Goal: © - - - - -> ◊ Strafe takes 1.5 sec )

3. © - - - ◊ = strafe + camera turn to get into min range (BP ~3 seconds to get to Goal: © - - - - -> ◊ Strafe takes 1 sec)

Conclusion:

In Scenario 1, BP is better as it takes a mere one hit of the button ~0.25 sec to get to charge range as opposed to a strafe + mouse turn which would take ~0.75 sec and is vastly dependent on player skill

In Scenario 2, Strafe will always come out better.

Query: If you are 0.25m away from min charge range, would it not be easier, better, FASTER to hit the BP + Charge key rather than hit Strafe Key + Mouse turn + Charge key?

Thoughts anyone?

Edited by paowee

If I understand you correctly, here is one instance i feel backpedalling will be a little bit more useful.

BP = back pedal

© = you

◊ = charge target

1. © - - - -> ◊ = can not charge (BP~0.25 seconds to get to get to Goal: © - - - - -> ◊ )

2. backpedal for 0.25 seconds**

** said player instead used Strafe = resulted in ~0.75 second to reach Goal (due to hitting key + mouse turn)

1. © - ◊ = strafe + camera turn to get into min range (BP ~6 seconds to get to Goal: © - - - - -> ◊ )

2. © - - ◊ = strafe + camera turn to get into min range (BP ~4 seconds to get to Goal: © - - - - -> ◊ )

3. © - - - ◊ = strafe + camera turn to get into min range (BP ~3 seconds to get to Goal: © - - - - -> ◊ )

Conclusion:

In Scenario 1, BP is better as it takes a mere one hit of the button ~0.25 sec to get to charge range as opposed to a strafe + mouse turn which would take ~0.75 sec and is vastly dependent on player skill

Thoughts anyone?

Your numbers are complete nonsense. How would it take .75 seconds to strafe and mouse turn? That's right, it wouldn't. It might take YOU .75 seconds, but any person who knows how to multi-task more than one thing at a time would do it faster than the backpedaller.

Edited by Megatfx

BP = back pedal

© = you

◊ = charge target

1. © - - - -> ◊ = can not charge (BP~0.25 seconds to get to get to Goal: © - - - - -> ◊ )

2. backpedal for 0.25 seconds**

** said player instead used Strafe = resulted in ~0.75 second to reach Goal (due to hitting key + mouse turn)

1. © - ◊ = strafe + camera turn to get into min range (BP ~6 seconds to get to Goal: © - - - - -> ◊ )

2. © - - ◊ = strafe + camera turn to get into min range (BP ~4 seconds to get to Goal: © - - - - -> ◊ )

3. © - - - ◊ = strafe + camera turn to get into min range (BP ~3 seconds to get to Goal: © - - - - -> ◊ )

Conclusion:

Query: If you are 0.25m away from min charge range, would it not be easier, better, FASTER to hit the BP + Charge key rather than hit Strafe Key + Mouse turn + Charge key?

Thoughts anyone?

LOL. I love your post but had to stop myself from bursting out laughing. It's funny how it takes a mathematical formula to prove to misguided players what a good player instinctively knows. But seriously, good post.

Edited by DimeStax

Your numbers are complete nonsense. How would it take .75 seconds to strafe and mouse turn? That's right, it wouldn't. It might take YOU .75 seconds, but any person who knows how to multi-task more than one thing at a time would do it faster than the backpedaller.

Ok skew the numbers. They are guesstimates and in now way can be proven given current resources. Check the Query at the end of the post then. Also 0.75 sec takes too long, then let's adjust it.

Edited by paowee

lol. I love your post but had to stop myself from bursting out laughing. It's funny how it takes a mathematical formula to prove to misguided players what a good player instinctively knows. But seriously, good post.

he just made those numbers up. It does not take .75 seconds to strafe and mouse turn simultaneously, it is still faster to do that, than to backpedal at 40% slower speeds.

he just made those numbers up. It does not take .75 seconds to strafe and mouse turn simultaneously, it is still faster to do that, than to backpedal at 40% slower speeds.

Quoting myself to further explain, you are strafing and mouse turning SIMULTANEOUSLY. A player does not go, "Right I need to strafe... let me slowly angle my camera, now I will begin strafing". It becomes an instinctual turn done instantly and simultaneously.

Quoting myself to further explain, you are strafing and mouse turning SIMULTANEOUSLY. A player does not go, "Right I need to strafe... let me slowly angle my camera, now I will begin strafing". It becomes an instinctual turn done instantly and simultaneously.

In fact, I'm going to record a video later because I have been doing it over and over again to try and find ANY situation where you might be correct and have yet to come close.

Some people will just never get it. Let them play the way they feel comfortable playing; if they don't want to backpedal then let them strafe for every little positioning movement they need to do in the game.

In my opinion, using backpedal isn't bad, but never using strafe IS bad. As long as you're strafing more than you're backpedaling you're doing fine. Heck, as long as your achieving the desired results, doing your job, and are noticed as a good player; then you're doing fine. You don't need to change every aspect of your play style to match other people's because they say its the best. There are many ways to reach successful results, and no one is perfect.

All I know is that if I'm a sniper on a ledge and it says I'm too far forward to use cover, I'm going to press the back pedal button once so I can drop cover and I'm not going to hold my mouse button while strafing sideways because I'm not concerned with speed loss in this situation, only positioning, and it is achieved just fine by pressing backpedal once.

Edited by DimeStax

Ok let us change the numbers. They were guesstimates and thanks to your added insight, we're able to put out a more accurate scenario. Let's change the numbers: BOLD will be the changes made.

1. © - - - -> ◊ = can not charge (BP~0.15 seconds to get to get to Goal: © - - - - -> ◊ )

** said player instead used Strafe = resulted in ~0.25*EDIT FOR ~MTGREX second to reach Goal (due to hitting key + mouse turn)

===========================================================

There edited it for you. Also let me add some things:

© - - - -> ◊

© - - - - -> ◊

difference in distance is 0.2 meters.

Character position needs to move 0.2 m for minimum range

Problem: Which method would give the faster solution = move 0.2m backward ◊?

1) Hit BP key

2) Hit A key + Hold right mouse button + move mouse towards the right ( to keep forward facing angle)

done SIMULTANEOUSLY as per ~MGTFERX which is a given anyways....

Actually after doing some mental simulations of 1) and 2), they might actually be around the same amount of time! With the difference being a few micro seconds. lol. Although BP is better for QoL.

Edited by paowee

Trying to theorycraft in the most simplistic way and come up with a more civil solution instead of flaming.

Yep i understand. Strafe + mouse turn + Mouse move right is done simultaneously. I did not mention they were done in a few milli second intervals.

I assumed it is a given for YOU that the strafe + mouse turn is SIMULTANEOUS because i know you seem to be a skilled pvp players.

I am saddened that you did not assume the same for myself. Ok let me go and say now that yes the Strafe + turn is completely simultaneous and i adjusted the amt of time as well. See above posts.

I am basing the amount of time for BP on the actual speed at which my finger hits S. which is like "click!" mental picture hitting my keyboard right now.

Let's put your experience into it.

Question 1: How long does it take you to do the strafe + mouse turn?

Question 2:

and this is my most impt point.

Given you only, strictly, absolutely have to move 0.2m DISTANCE directionally facing towards the back of your avatar, and that moving 0.1m outside of 0.2m would void the attempt because we are looking at the fastest moment to charge in the easiest shortest time possible, would strafe+mouse turn be better? I am trying to simulate it right now, and it is damn hard to "lightly" click on A as fast as i can while doing mouse turn + mouse movement without going outside of the 0.2m required to start Charge.

:-\ shrug

Didn't bother watching the movie after people said it was mostly against pugs in WZs. I was excited when I saw the title of the thread, but then got disappointed it was just an eye catching title.

As for the whole backpeddling issue. According to the people in this thread, he did it like once and it wasn't during combat. So who cares? I personally unbound backpeddling to get extra keybinds (all 4 bars are keybound and I use every spot on most of my classes), but just because a guy backpeddles once or twice when it's not critical, doesn't make him bad.

i enjoy S-keying while holding a beer with my right hand, and spamming flame burst on my OP pyro, face rolling sorcs into the ground.

that's how PT pyro works, i'm told. :p

You and me both brotha. Except I'm a Gunslinger, the next FOTM class apparently.

Didn't bother watching the movie after people said it was mostly against pugs in WZs. I was excited when I saw the title of the thread, but then got disappointed it was just an eye catching title.

As for the whole backpeddling issue. According to the people in this thread, he did it like once and it wasn't during combat. So who cares? I personally unbound backpeddling to get extra keybinds (all 4 bars are keybound and I use every spot on most of my classes), but just because a guy backpeddles once or twice when it's not critical, doesn't make him bad.

QFT >_<! yay Dont Panic!

/icanhaslunchnow

Edited by paowee

I am trying to simulate it right now, and it is damn hard to "lightly" click on A as fast as i can while doing mouse turn + mouse movement without going outside of the 0.2m required to start Charge.

:-\ shrug

Your finger does not rest on the "s" key, I'd wager that even the bad players do not rest their middle finger on that button because nobody walks everywhere backwards (Even though in PVP it seems like it sometimes).

But your pointer finger or index finger should always be on "a" or "d" as they NATURALLY rest on the strafe keys. To backpedal you have to conciously take your finger off the forward key "w", place it on the backwards key "s", and then press it as well as move 40% slower. Mine, and every other pvpers finger automatically RESTS naturally on the STRAFE key, so while your turning your mouse which should only take a millisecond you are simply pressing down on the left or right strafe button which your finger is already resting on while moving at 100% speed.

It in fact takes LESS time to start MOVING if you strafe than it does when you backpedal because of the travel time of your middle finger from the forward key to the backward key versus just PRESSING DOWN on your strafe button while simultaneously flicking your wrist to adjust your camera angle.

The fact that you move 40% slower while backpedalling FURTHER proves my point at how slow in comparison it will ALWAYS be in in ANY situation.

Edited by Megatfx

It in fact takes LESS time to start MOVING if you strafe than it does when you backpedal because of the travel time of your middle finger from the forward key to the backward key versus just PRESSING DOWN on your strafe button while simultaneously flicking your wrist to adjust your camera angle.

The fact that you move 40% slower while backpedalling FURTHER proves my point at how slow in comparison it will ALWAYS be in in ANY situation.

I understand and you are correct in everything, however remember the specific single situation in which this discussion is all about. Moving 0.2m directionally facing the back of your avatar.

40% slower movement i believe is null and void given you only have to lightly tap S to move 0.2m maybe even less then hit your charge button. As far as everything you said, you are right, i agree, and that is how i play.

I still believe tapping S+Charge covers 0.2 m faster than

Strafe+mouseturning+Charge to cover that same 0.2m distance.

Anyway, im hungry, will go to lunch and lastly, a good bye note

Play how you want to play! And more imptly, play in a way that is convenient for you!

I understand and you are correct in everything, however remember the specific single situation in which this discussion is all about. Moving 0.2m directionally facing the back of your avatar.

40% slower movement i believe is null and void given you only have to lightly tap S to move 0.2m maybe even less then hit your charge button. As far as everything you said, you are right, i agree, and that is how i play.

I still believe tapping S+Charge covers 0.2 m faster than

Strafe+mouseturning+Charge to cover that same 0.2m distance.

Anyway, im hungry, will go to lunch and lastly, a good bye note

Play how you want to play! And more imptly, play in a way that is convenient for you!

That still doesn't make any sense, you cover the .2 meter in almost twice the time you also start moving immediately versus having your middle finger travel from forwards to backwards. It just isn't.