Enjoy story or just "get it done"?

Pengatron

Quoted from someone's long "review" of TOR in another thread...

I don't care about your life story, I just want to get this quest out of the way.

(referring to the voice and animated scenes you get with the quest givers)

And that's the problem with many players. They do not want to experience the quest and the story and the adventure, they just want to "get it done" and move on to the next one. Click, go, click, go, click, go, etc

They may as well just be playing "Generic MMORG" where all you do is get quest, do quest, turn in quest, and move on. Not caring whether it is SciFi, fantasy, or Cowboys and Indians.

They just see it as a mechanical process, not as an adventure in a specific setting (Star Wars, in this case).

And that's the problem with many players. They do not want to experience the quest and the story and the adventure, they just want to "get it done" and move on to the next one. Click, go, click, go, click, go, etc

They may as well just be playing "Generic MMORG" where all you do is get quest, do quest, turn in quest, and move on. Not caring whether it is SciFi, fantasy, or Cowboys and Indians.

They just see it as a mechanical process, not as an adventure in a specific setting (Star Wars, in this case).

It's hard to care.. when the objectives given and the process to complete said objectives seem mechanical in every way.

Edited by CalvinDu

I think they're talking about the side quests, which in my opinion are three minutes of voice overed fluff followed by, "Go click on three glowing objects.". If there was more variation to the quests then I'd be more inclined to listen, but after the 30th 'Go click on three glowing objects' after listening patiently for 3 minutes, I tend to find a use for that space bar.

That's the way they want to play. I'm enjoying the story, but on my third alt through Korriban I'm skipping most of the dialogue.. I've heard it all before.

I don't understand the people skipping it the first time, but it's what they are conditioned to do by the MMO community at large.

Amusingly, to me, this is the one game where it is not encouraged by the devs.

I love the story in this game. Not interested in any other MMO's, don't want to collect boar tusks for soup and have no options on how to complete the quest.

To each their own, although it doesn't surprise me when people who spacebar the stories don't enjoy the game as much as i do.

Edited by TheHeadCapper

I'm guessing this is a troll but if it isn't would you mind explaining to me why there's a problem if a player isn't interested in a story but rather the game play?

And that's the problem with many players. They do not want to experience the quest and the story and the adventure, they just want to "get it done" and move on to the next one. Click, go, click, go, click, go, etc.

I have the opposite problem... I want to listen to the stories and could care less about the quest. Oh well, to each his own!

I'm guessing this is a troll but if it isn't would you mind explaining to me why there's a problem if a player isn't interested in a story but rather the game play?

The "get it done" mindset I saw in the phrase I quoted originally gave me the impression that person was not even interested in the game play, just in getting things done in the fastest way possible, just to get to max level as fast as possible (for what reason I do not know).

That person was calling these "stories" a "negative mark" in his review because it slowed down his "getting it done". My response is if you want a fast "get things done" type of game play, instead of a "take your time and enjoy the journey" type of game play, then this is not the game for you.

I think it all depends on the player. It's also easy to say that "someone who does something differently then me is doing it wrong."

With that said, I am a Star Wars fan FIRST, and a video game fan second. The only MMO I ever played before this was Star Wars Galaxies. I was never interested in WoW or any of the others.

For me, the story IS the only reason to play. I also think there is the PvP aspect. IMO, the people that started SWTOR to "level to 50" really fast for PvP "usually" didn't care about the story, they just wanted a different PvP Challenge.

Like I said above, I'm not condemning anyone for their playing style, but for me, a MMO is better when players have similar tastes and that's why I like that there are PvP, PvP and RP servers.

To prove this point just go to the PvP SWTOR Forum read the posts, then go to the SWTOR Story and Lore forum, it's like day and night. I hang in the lore forum and we talk stories and characters all day, in the PvP forum it's all tech talk, strategy and gearing up. Once again, neither is right or wrong. Some poeple just want to get the MMO under the belt, Some want to enjoy the journey.

I'm actually super depressed I'm level 46! I look at it like I will only have four more levels of stories to go :( But then I can always create and alt and start all over!

I think they're talking about the side quests, which in my opinion are three minutes of voice overed fluff followed by, "Go click on three glowing objects.". If there was more variation to the quests then I'd be more inclined to listen, but after the 30th 'Go click on three glowing objects' after listening patiently for 3 minutes, I tend to find a use for that space bar.

In my opinion that you do not care about, it is much better to know why the hell you're clicking on them rather than "Collecting 3 bear pelts" for no apparent reason that has any visual affect on how the character reacts to you or storyline moving with you.

The "get it done" mindset I saw in the phrase I quoted originally gave me the impression that person was not even interested in the game play, just in getting things done in the fastest way possible, just to get to max level as fast as possible (for what reason I do not know).

That person was calling these "stories" a "negative mark" in his review because it slowed down his "getting it done". My response is if you want a fast "get things done" type of game play, instead of a "take your time and enjoy the journey" type of game play, then this is not the game for you.

/thread

In my opinion that you do not care about, it is much better to know why the hell you're clicking on them rather than "Collecting 3 bear pelts" for no apparent reason that has any visual affect on how the character reacts to you or storyline moving with you.

What does it really matter? It's no different than having a wall of text in a game like LOTRO. That tells you the reason but nobody cares. The only difference here is that it's voiced and 'acted' instead of just something you read, which I admit is nice at first but when all the quests amount to the same thing it just gets tedious.

Class quests on the other hand have a continuous flow to them so I watch every one, but side quests where I hear the guys life story and then never see him again after clicking three glowing objects. As pointless as the walls of text from past games.

This is a problem for everyone who got tired of the quest progression system from other MMO's. I have the same issue.. And for me also, after getting to tatooine, I started pressing spacebar bcoz it is almost just as boring as to read that the guy is being attacked by horrible things who are just standing in a field where they always are.

Everyone who came from other MMO's and have grown tired of the quest system already I would like to advice going back to either WoW, or move along..

You will have to wait for Guild Wars 2 which will be released later this year.

To each his own, I like seeing how my new alt is reacting to things. Even if you have the same quest the different classes might react a little bit different approaching them. My smuggler felt really sad for the guys on Taris who had been there for so many year that she helped them get away from the army. Hmm... I don't see my Trooper giving them a easy time for leaving their group. But there isn't a right or wrong way to play, if you are enjoying your time gaming, you are doing what is right for you. I happily listen to the same quest a 6:th time. Did it all in beta twice before =) and have 4 republic chars.

Once in a great while I'll skip the dialogue if its a quest I know is just a lame sidequest. "Go find my favorite necklace!" or something.

Other than that, I'm the opposite of most MMO players. The travelling, mobs, looting, leveling, questing...those are all in the way of my story! I just want to get them done so I can see more story!

This is a problem for everyone who got tired of the quest progression system from other MMO's. I have the same issue.. And for me also, after getting to tatooine, I started pressing spacebar bcoz it is almost just as boring as to read that the guy is being attacked by horrible things who are just standing in a field where they always are.

Everyone who came from other MMO's and have grown tired of the quest system already I would like to advice going back to either WoW, or move along..

You will have to wait for Guild Wars 2 which will be released later this year.

You're advising people to go back to a game that has an even more boring quest system? Personally, I enjoy the quests and I never have spacebarred through one. Namely, because, even though I'd be doing the same sidequest, there are different reactions to your class/race and vice versa. In addition, of course, my characters all act differently, so I receive new dialogue from the quest-giver. :p

I don't care about your life story, I just want to get this quest out of the way.

I am this way in real life, I want people to GET TO THE POINT in as few words as possible. I would listen to every line of text if I knew every line was relevent and not just fluff and filler.

(Don't get me wrong the voice acting is great, but I just hate listening to people waffle on. If I owned a company I would sack anyone who took too long to get to the point because someone who can get to the point faster would be more efficient)

What does it really matter? It's no different than having a wall of text in a game like LOTRO. That tells you the reason but nobody cares. The only difference here is that it's voiced and 'acted' instead of just something you read, which I admit is nice at first but when all the quests amount to the same thing it just gets tedious.

Class quests on the other hand have a continuous flow to them so I watch every one, but side quests where I hear the guys life story and then never see him again after clicking three glowing objects. As pointless as the walls of text from past games.

Sometimes the dialogue is different from class to class for the side quests, but yeah after the first run through I tend to just space bar through the side quests if I do them at all. I've skipped a lot of the side quests when possible and mainly PvP'd and done the class quest on my alt (which might end up being my main lol) I actually enjoy leveling tho in this game compared to lotro, which to me was boring and I just wanted it to end. Leveling felt like more of a grind in lotro than it does in TOR.