Early Access 'Waves' - Updating Here

StephenReid

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think everyone should calm down, and be patient. THis is how Bioware has chosen to do the damned thing so there is nothing that complaining on a forum is going to change. I put my preorder code in on 12/3, and would love to be playing right now, but have no preconcieved notions that I will get in today, and maybe not till the weekend. I am just happy for the opportunity to play this game again, and ahead of the normal launch date at that.

these wave roll outs should be 24/7 every few hours not just in a 8 hour period. No excuses. They have people working 24/7 how else do you keep the servers up and running. Besides how much money has been put in to making this game millions? Its launch week for crying out loud. Every few hours launch another wave don't wait 16+ hours before the next wave. That is just plain stupid.

+1....

. . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,

. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,

. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,

. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,

. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}

. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}

. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./

. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./

. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./

. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/

. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}

. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../

. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../

. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”

. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\

. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__

,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,

. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

In today's Society kids want everything yesterday, EGA is not a right of passage, it is a bonus. Stop being impatient whiny spoilt brats, and wait for your email or your play button to become clickable... if you don't like it cancel your order and go back to WoW (where you belong!).

It has been clearly known from Day 1 this would be the process, your not the only one who hasn't got in, so get the f over yourself!

Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

I pre-ordered on 7/29---I think that should put me in the first or second wave tomorrow. I'm gonna head to the store to pick up a whole lotta cheese to go with all this whine. I will see you all with Lightning shooting out of my fingertips tomorrow morning ---Server: Sith Meditation Sphere. :cool:

Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One.

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'.

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and roll out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come. Today's just the first step in that - an early step, too - and we'll be running smoothly, with a stable population, before too long.

Sir, I just want to say thank you for taking the time to explain how your process is working. The only regret is that I wish this was posted the day before you guys opened the servers. I suspect that you would have had a lot less grief and nerd rage. I, for one, appreciate your efforts. Thank you again.

I don't recall Blizzard doing it like this when World of Warcraft was opened up.

So honestly, all the posting about being careful blah blah is just pure bull.

I don't really care if I have to wait some days, what I care about is getting stupid excuses for how things are done.

Then you don't recall very well at all. The WoW servers melted and were down for 3 days...

Originally Posted by Aurainsoph

Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One.

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'.

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and role out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come. Today's just the first step in that - an early step, too - and we'll be running smoothly, with a stable population, before too long.

Please BW, I beg of you, lock any further EA invites untill the 19th, since that is all you are OBLIGATED to give. This nerd rage is the most entertaining thing i've seen in a very long time :rolleyes:

I'm not in but definately worth it

The only reason I look forward to getting into the game early is for a chance to get certain avatar names that I have wanted to play, having to wait multiple day’s puts a damper on that chance. Obviously your servers can withstand a great deal of stress, it handled it just fine on Thanksgiving.

So while you don't want to stress out your servers, this is something not done by other MMOs and is causing a great deal of outrage by the community.

You mention letting people login in waves but don't give any real timeline that people can expect, so players are basically left in limbo. Obviously this is going to cause a great deal of irritation as players saw how smoothly the servers ran during beta and don't have a clue when they will be able to play.

Feels very misleading and while you give explanations players feel that is a copout.

Hey everyone.

So actually servers can handle the stress... so why not let everybody in? why letting people go crazy

Than provide your customers a server that can handle more people. This way there won't be much que, and not to mention people prefers waiting que to wait on forums.. Not to mention not everybody has job/school, some of us has to wait 24/7 for the invite mail, do you have any idea how that feel mister mmo expert? how many mmo launch or ega you experienced? Trash talk is easy it's just considered announcement when it comes from Stephen Reid

How many mmo launch have you experienced in person? how do you know you invited more people than any other launch? i remember Rift letting everybody in on same day with no problem. why you guys scared of letting a lot of people log in? are we living in 1999 or 2011?

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Eare Access'.

thats doesn't change the fact that people who started today will be level 20 by the time we log in to game. ask yourself is this fair?

in your post you stated clearly that you already stress tested the servers with not much problem... why not let everybody in.. there is no good reason for stopping the waves right now

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and role out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

This system already failed by Guild deployment system plus the staggered EGA is the seasoning over it.. one word terrible...

we will play but let me tell you this is the worst launch ever

:confused::mad::p;):p:(:confused: