Marauder Changes - Game Update 2.5

EricMusco

So my progression raid group should only have one Marauder now since bloodthrist can't be used by two people anymore? Whats the point of making the debuff last five minutes if that's how long the cool down on bloodthrist is? You should at least make it 2.5 minutes so a second Marauder can have more utility and value too a group.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question. Currently the first 2 MH hits happen within the first half second of the channel while the last hit happens towards the end of the 3s. Thus, I doubt there is reason to rethink our rotation/priority. Perhaps this is a way to increase the usefulness of Alacrity...

Regardless of alacrity, I don't see how that actually help us beyond the opener!

I think it turns UR into a viable escape ability, but it no longer has any other productive utility use in PVE. That's fine, but it seems to be a silly change, once again, for the sake of PVP without considering the effect on PVE.

Again, it's not a serious problem IMO...It just changes the usefulness of UR and what it will probably be used for. No longer a cushion for healers to get you healed, now a solo escape mechanic instead.

I wonder if it was originally intended as an escape mechanic....

If it's an escape mechanic, at least they should have give back the second of its duration when they changed it a while back, when they nerfed it for both pve and pvp because of pvp whining. And yeah, it was brilliant when they un-nerfed it later on only for pvp leaving the nerfed "version" for pve. :rolleyes:

So my progression raid group should only have one Marauder now since bloodthrist can't be used by two people anymore? Whats the point of making the debuff last five minutes if that's how long the cool down on bloodthrist is? You should at least make it 2.5 minutes so a second Marauder can have more utility and value too a group.

Probably that's exactly what they want, maybe the want to discourage to bringing a 2nd mara/sent into your group.

Edited by wainot-keel

Probably that's exactly what they want, maybe the want to discourage to bringing a 2nd mara/sent into your group.

I am the second marauder in a progression group. This change makes me very sad.

edit to add: This game is already rather punishing for melee when ranged DPS can sit and turret and have higher consistent damage contribution. At least I had Bloodthirst as an ability I could use to buff our DPS overall and I could contribute to the group as a whole (and make up for the fact that I have to chase the boss around while our sniper just sits there and cranks out damage). It was also useful in situations where we just need a teensy bit of a boost to get past that one bit of content which will drop the comms/gear we need to, you know, progress. I don't think we were abusing it, I think we were using the ability in smart ways. You know, playing the game.

I'm second marauder in my prog group. I was happy they were keeping me around even if some people think you shouldn't take us at all, let alone a second. This just gives them even less reason to keep me around.

Edited by Aalya_Ardinn

The way the ability works is that the 50% health cost happens at the end of the abilities duration, not based on when the ability activates but when it ends. That means in simple terms, under the best case scenario, when the ability ends you will go from 100% to 50% health.

-eric

hmm, guessing it's going to work sorta like Endure Pain, so you'll potentially end up with 1 hp at the end of the effect if you don't receive any healing and if you're being attacked when the effect ends.

hmm, guessing it's going to work sorta like Endure Pain, so you'll potentially end up with 1 hp at the end of the effect if you don't receive any healing and if you're being attacked when the effect ends.

so stupid. why change this at all. should be left as is.

Correct, I was sort of grasping at straws as I don't see a difference between 1s and 1.5s unless there are changes to OH or something.

What about battering assault ? Do all of the hits happen at the same time ?

Edit: Checking parses, it would seem the answer is yes all the hits happen at the same time.

Edited by znihilist

To be honest, Marauders don't have a 4s stun like other DPS do. All DPS got a 4s stun, except Marauders. Why is there a need to punish our defensive cool downs? We sacrifice a stun for it.

Because we are totally OP during those 4 seconds and cant be rooted or stunned...oh wait....

It was a L2P issue for the most part. The ability was extremely predictable and easy to stop.

To be honest, Marauders don't have a 4s stun like other DPS do. All DPS got a 4s stun, except Marauders. Why is there a need to punish our defensive cool downs? We sacrifice a stun for it.

What stun are you referring to? Sins/Sorcs, Mercs, and Snipers all have hard stun but the rest have a mez which we also have so...but seriously? You're complaining about survivability on a Mara?

These changes don't effect the way I play, which was a concern as I am staring a new Mara character. This seems more for the PVP crowd which I don't really play other than to get the daily/weekly comms which I use to convert to Plantary commendations.

I really hope they don't nerf Smash. Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight class is dependent on that ability and if they nerf it then there is no reason to play that Class. That said maybe they can grey out the "smash" in Warzones, duels, and other pvp content and replace it with a similar ability that deals out less damage. This way we can keep Smash for the vast majority of game content and keep the game balanced for those that like the PVP content which is very small relative to the rest of the game's content.

I am the second marauder in a progression group. This change makes me very sad.

edit to add: This game is already rather punishing for melee when ranged DPS can sit and turret and have higher consistent damage contribution. At least I had Bloodthirst as an ability I could use to buff our DPS overall and I could contribute to the group as a whole (and make up for the fact that I have to chase the boss around while our sniper just sits there and cranks out damage). It was also useful in situations where we just need a teensy bit of a boost to get past that one bit of content which will drop the comms/gear we need to, you know, progress. I don't think we were abusing it, I think we were using the ability in smart ways. You know, playing the game.

I'm second marauder in my prog group. I was happy they were keeping me around even if some people think you shouldn't take us at all, let alone a second. This just gives them even less reason to keep me around.

Again, seems they're taking the easiest way. Instead of giving more reasons to bring assassins, sorc, operatives dps to a raid, they just nerf one class

In any case, while I get the idea behind the global debuff, I think its' a bit too harsh... the only case I can think of now of one use of an ability completely negating it on another player is the rez, but since several ACs have it, kinda makes sense the global debuff

But Bloodthirst is unique. At least, while the global debuff is active, the Bloodthirst on the 2nd marauder should work on himself/herself (only). I don't think that would be too "unbalanced"

Again, seems they're taking the easiest way. Instead of giving more reasons to bring assassins, sorc, operatives dps to a raid, they just nerf one class

So, what reasons should they be giving to bring those classes to a raid? Not sure I can think of anything that isn't an identical cooldown, which robs marauders of their precious unique mechanic anyway.

The BT change is both good and silly at the same time. The raid wide BT will be nice for tanks and healers (+ more dps and healers in 16m), but in reality they practically just gave the finger to progression guilds that run with two maras (in 8m) or pehaps more (in 16m). There's no reason for those guilds to consider that second marauder anymore if they have ranged around the same skill level. There is no denying that a lot of the current boss fights are melee unfriendly and the overall efficiency of the group would probably rise if you bring a third ranged. Indirectly a buff to all ranged, snipers in particular (on top of those they actually got), doing PvE. A buff they did not need. Apparently it's all good to juggle a good defensive, aoe cooldown such as sniper bubble, but two successive BTs are bad.

A better way would probably be to put that debuff at three minutes or so. That way you'll have a window between three and five minutes for a second marauder to pop his BT at the best moment. The "abuse" of maras, as BW put it, are not really present. They are valued for their dps and BT, but not to the degree of taking more than two of them in 8m groups. It would just be too big of a disadvantage in a lot of fights involving lots of movement, such as the Dread Guards in TFB NiM. Far bigger possibility of running with three snipers, even more so with this change.

Edited by Xenphon

Hey everyone,

•  
  • The health for Undying Rage is now spent when the damage reducing effect expires, rather than when it begins. It still costs 50% of current health.

Will this kill us when it ends?

i.e. 100% hp, pop undying rage, take a hit or 3 (down to say 40%), undying ends, we loose 50% of the original health, killing us in the process?

Will this kill us when it ends?

i.e. 100% hp, pop undying rage, take a hit or 3 (down to say 40%), undying ends, we loose 50% of the original health, killing us in the process?

It was just in the next page!

The way the ability works is that the 50% health cost happens at the end of the abilities duration, not based on when the ability activates but when it ends. That means in simple terms, under the best case scenario, when the ability ends you will go from 100% to 50% health.

-eric

And how would you go from 100% to 40% while undying rage is up ?

Edited by znihilist

-eric

Wow. Just wow. As someone who plays a healer main with an Annihilation Marauder alt, I have to say this change sounds terrible. If this goes live as described here, I will be removing this ability from my Marauder's hotbars and demand when healing that any Marauder in my group do the same.

Currently in PvE, Undying Rage is a defensive ability of last resort: when down to very little health (say 20% or less) the Marauder could use Undying Rage to buy the tank a few seconds to regain agro and the healer a few seconds to heal them up. These changes make that scenario completely unworkable. Consider:

Why would I, as a healer, bother spending any power healing a Marauder in UR knowing that my heal-per-power ratio during that time is effectively being halved?

Why would I, as a Marauder, use an ability designed to prevent damage knowing that it may well end up accounting for MORE damage than I would have taken otherwise if I get any heal during its duration?

The only rationale I can see for this change is to correct a perceived PvP balance issue, and I absolutely detest that kind of decision-making. I am sick and tired of having abilities that work perfectly fine in PvE nerfed because PvPers thin they're unbalanced.

Annihilator Buff up to 24s is nice but:

Implement a Spell for Annihilation

Self-injury: (Cost 2 Rage) 1min CD
With a radical self-injury you will lost 50% of your life but you refresh your Annihilator buff for 24s.

So this is a emergency button you can use during a pause in a fight.

I just want to add more to my previous post regarding BT.

Some Operation groups felt like they needed to bring a Marauder/Sentinel for each party in an Operation group to get the Bloodthirst/Inspiration buff, so we have made it affect a Marauder’s/Sentinel’s entire Operation group.

This is perfectly fine and should have been in the game from the start, tbh.

We have also added a five minute long debuff to Bloodthirst/Inspiration to prevent Operation groups from feeling the need to bring as many Marauders/Sentinels as possible to “chain” Bloodthirst/Inspiration for as long as possible. Now a single Marauder/Sentinel will be able provide the full Bloodthirst/Inspiration benefit to his or her Operation group.

No, just no. I cannot help but feel this is purely pvp-related, although you try to justify it by giving a pve example. Sure, it may give a reason to mix up arena compositions, but this is in no way an issue that ruined PvE in any way, shape or form. 8m groups would only take two maras due to my previously mentioned melee unfriendly fights. However, you do nothing about the snipers bubble. Successive damage boost is bad, successive damage taken reduction is no problem. Why? Would really like to hear your justification for this, BW.

You're changing a PvE formulae that's working well because of PvP issues. Really not the way to go, BW.

Edited by Xenphon