Synthweaving is *HORRIBLE TERRIBAD AWEFUL*

pahbi

and at 400 you can make rakkata armour (140 epic). thats pretty good.. right?

You can also crit when making these and get an augment in them which i did on one piece.

Still its ******** that theres nothibg usefull at all b4 400, and its impossible to make money with it... I only make money by selling mandelorian iron on the GTN, ive never used any of the gear from synthweaving

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy moddable schematics from the AH, not sure what server you are on but they sell for like 700-1000 credits on mine, dirt cheap. Craft these and sell them, mats aren't expensive and the items sell well. 8000 - 12000 credits each for moddable gear at my lvl (31).

Also the rule of thumb I generally go by is make 6 of the same green at a time, RE them all, 95% of the time you'll learn the blue in less then 6 RE's. Make 6 blue and RE them and you have a pretty good chance at the epic. I've got about 11 epic patterns on my toon and I'm lvl 31 with 270 in synthweaving. If I don't get the epic within 6 then I usually just move on. I've noticed though that it seems to work better if you make 6 at a time and then RE them, doing 1 every once inawhile doesn't seem to work very well.

Edited by Synistra

I've worn purple armor that I've self crafted all the way from 15-45, so yeah, you are probably doing it wrong. I've yet to find a replacement to any of the pieces I've made in a given level range. From commendations, flashpoints or heroic missions, nothing outclasses the stuff I've made for myself.

I've worn purple armor that I've self crafted all the way from 15-45, so yeah, you are probably doing it wrong. I've yet to find a replacement to any of the pieces I've made in a given level range. From commendations, flashpoints or heroic missions, nothing outclasses the stuff I've made for myself.

Definately gotta give you mad props. Thats some mighty fine trolling there bro. :p

- P

Hey! The grass is greener on the other side.

Dude, go ahead and spend your time making FANTASTIC mods! And you know what? You can replace every one of them with commendations at the end of a planet, or just buy new ones from the mod guy at the begining of a planet.

Then, wonder of wonders, you can hit 50 where your PvP gear doesn't even use mods, and your PvE gear already had better mods.

You can't win dude. Crafting is meant to be something to do while you level, it isn't meant to gear you, to gear your companions, or to make you money. Its just for fun.

The issue comes with the difference between the inquisitor and the consular.

The first companion Inquisitor gets is Khem Val, tank, wearing heavy "strength" armor which you can craft with synthweaving.

The first companion Consular gets is Qyzen Fess, tank, wearing heavy "aim" armor which you can't craft with synthweaving.

Synthweaving sounds like a good choice at start for an inquisitor start but very weak for consular.

Late game, you can not make money out of synthweaving. People get the armor they need by questing or they simply use "moddable orange" items.

I tried to have an artifact version of an armor by reverse engineering , i had to reverse engineer like 35 green items just to get the blue version. At that time i noticed how weak synthweaving is and it killed all my economic enthusiasm. I too do not suggest people to take synthweaving as their crafting skill, especially if your playing a consular.

I'm not sure what game your playing, but its not this one.

I have yet to see a synthweave item of blue quality even come close to what my roommate gets from her moddable orange armor. She hasn't had to replace a piece of armor in 30 some levels. She just makes new mods and BAMN, totally up to date armor.

And don't even get me started on needing to make 10-15 of an item before I get a single one to RE so I can get a blue schematic. I'm on my 13th pair of Force Adept Boots, still no RE.

Oh, and just to make things even that much happier, those Force Adept Boots I'm trying to RE (and have failed 13 times so far), take a material that can only come from crew missions, even though its a green item. Talk about *EPIC FAIL*.

Sorry, but your the odd data point. In terms of helping a player level, cybernetics beats synthweaving hands down, no contest.

Bioware should just ditch synthweaving, or at least put a "This skill sucks donkey deeks" disclaimer in the codex so others don't make the same mistake I and others have.

- P

yeah. i played a smuggler and did arms tech for him, which was cool cause i could mod my weapon barrel and potentially make some cool weapons. for him it was all about modded gear.

but on my guardian I am synthweaving. and wile i could get custum gear i could also just make gear when ever it comes around and it is better than the gear that you get from quests. so it is a different route then wearing moddable gear and switching mods ever lvl you are able to.

and like someone else just said in the post the end game apparently is legit. so i wouldnt advise people on something unless you really know everything about it. why not just get rid of it and switch it cant take that long to lvl something else.

Edited by Paralassa
content quote

If you simply like the orange custom gear better, then obviously a crew skill that makes armor that isn't custom isn't going to be for you.

The reality however, is that reverse engineering a blue armor piece will yield pretty much the same result and a custom armor piece with blue armoring/mod/enhancements of the same level. And those mods have to be reverse engineered as well.

You are just seeing the easy side of of the custom gear, not how much work your cybertech buddy is putting into it. You would be getting the same results with synthweave if you put the same effort into it.

I am leveling a trooper with armormech. I gear myself and my companions with reverse engineered blues at every level that a new piece becomes available, with the stats appropriate to our roles. These items I make are just as good as my friends custom gear that he outfits with equal level blue mods from cybertech or commendations.

Both methods work just fine. I'm guessing you just feel your like armor is weaker because it doesn't have a fancy orange label.

Edit: To say that you are reverse engineering 35+ items with no schematic is just BS. I usually start to get frustrated if it takes more than 10 shots, but I've never done more than 15 without getting some result. Usually I get one after 5-8.

Edited by lueckjathom

Sorry gona have to disagree, and here's why.

Today i made gear for my inquisitor and khem val all which where upgrades from existing quest gear. Got lucky and found a design for synthweaving from a drop that was a fully modable chest piece. If i didnt have synth i would have just sold it or sent it to an alt.

Synth gear beats commendation gear due to lack of dark/light requirements. I can RE greens and get blue quality that exceeds quest gear. All my mats are free and i use commendations to buy mods and weapons.

Sorry you dont think synth is any good but i dont think you see the bigger picture here.

I have to disagree with your disagreement? lol

I just dropped 400 Synth yesterday for Biochem. At max level synth doesn't offer anything that you cant get elsewhere. The rakata pieces are nice, but you can get equivalents from HM OPs. While leveling I found synth pretty much useless because the level 20/40 pvp sets are better and so easy to get. 500 WZ commendations will get you 4 pieces of the pvp set for your level and takes a handful of warzones to get.

I never made myself anything while leveling for myself because I always had better from somewhere else and it was easier to get. The point of having a profession like Synthweaving is to craft gear that is worthwhile to have that for the most part you can get faster because you can craft it rather than trying to farm it somewhere else. But in this game the gear from synth just aren't that good.

When I hit 49 I finally made myself a decent waist and bracers and.......thats about it. I kept sending out companions hoping to get good schematics but nothing ever came so I dropped 400 Synth 400 Archeology 400 UT for Biochem/Bioanalysis/Diplomacy. And its 100x more useful. Maybe I will go back to synth at some point if its ever made worth while to have but Biochem still being better after the nerf to it says something.

Atm my level 42 shadow infiltrator is crafting gear for my lowbies - I've never *really* gotten good use out of it myself because I didn't have the mats/cash to level it fast at the time I started - I'm just hoping that will change at some point because I really like the idea of making 'better looking 'gear than I can get from quest rewards/commendations even if the stats are very similar. I have a feeling this was the intended use for this skill, at least in part, but so far its not worked out as well.

I haven't kept up the skill to my level because of the issues (which is fine for my low level alts, just sucks for my main) and if I had to choose over I think I'd go cybertech or bio jsut because their products are useful for my toon as she is NOW. I've decided at this time though not to dump it in favor of a more 'FOTM' skill and keep my fingers crossed that they buff it/rework it without me having to re-level it all.

Edited to add: I agree with Hakkology - if we could craft gear for our companions (more than ONE of them..) then it would work out much better all round.

Edited by Vexxation
to add

Craft your Rakata pieces at level 50 then drop Synthweaving for something more useful such as Biochem.

Because there will never be any changes or expansions or anything...

I don't know why anyone would level a skill to 400 and then drop it. If you want another skill, why dont you level an alt with different crew skills?

Definately gotta give you mad props. Thats some mighty fine trolling there bro. :p

- P

I'm not trolling, and people saying that warzone/commendation/quest gear is better than you can craft with synthweaving are wrong, I checked them myself the instant I hit 20-40, and they didn't have any upgrades for me, or if they were an upgrade, they were by 2-5 points and being replaced by a pre-crafted purple waiting for me at level 41.

I love my blue and purple crafted gear with auggie slots. And they didn't cost me a dime.

And I also have quite the number of orange moddable gear I could sell if I needed the mula.

But they need to change the helm designs in the late 30s and 40s. I feel like I am wearing wrestling gear on my head...

Not gonna bust the top hat with a caps if I can help it.

Edited by Amiracle

Hey! The grass is greener on the other side.

Dude, go ahead and spend your time making FANTASTIC mods! And you know what? You can replace every one of them with commendations at the end of a planet, or just buy new ones from the mod guy at the begining of a planet.

Then, wonder of wonders, you can hit 50 where your PvP gear doesn't even use mods, and your PvE gear already had better mods.

You can't win dude. Crafting is meant to be something to do while you level, it isn't meant to gear you, to gear your companions, or to make you money. Its just for fun.

I'm usually 3-5 levels over a planet by the time I first step on. By the time I can buy the blue mods from it, they're now like 3 tiers or more below what I can make.

The way i see it purple synth gear is better than purple modded gear due to the augment slot, but you only have to learn one purple mod per level you want purple gear at. You have to RE each individual purple piece with weaving.

• 1 month later...
My biggest problem with this skill is this: I'm a 50 jugg 400 synth and am currently running NM ops and all the patterns that drop are one infurior or equal to tier 2/3, and two it's almost all bind on pickup. What's the point of gathering so many patters when you cannot do anything with them? My companions are decked out in tier 2/3 gear for no reason atm. There no good thing about 400 synth end game junk unless you can sell it and or send it to alts or different toons. After you craft your t3 gear it become the most useless crafting skill there is. Bioware definfinatly needs to fix this major problem for this skill. It's utterly pointless for end game content and patterns.

I'm usually 3-5 levels over a planet by the time I first step on. By the time I can buy the blue mods from it, they're now like 3 tiers or more below what I can make.

The way i see it purple synth gear is better than purple modded gear due to the augment slot, but you only have to learn one purple mod per level you want purple gear at. You have to RE each individual purple piece with weaving.

But on the flip side, none of the crafting skills can create all the mods needed for a standard orange armor or weapon, so even though you can create purple armoring and mods, that piece you customize will not be as good as a purple snythweave of the same level (unless the item doesn't have an enhancement slot). I go back and forth with weapons in Armstech because of this, since the only mod I can directly generate on my orange blaster is the barrel. (But I like my pistol model too much to use another, so my weapon crafts go to my companions.)

I do agree that commendation vendors take a lot of the excitement out of crafting. I don't feel like making much with my Cybertech alt when I can get blue mods after every planet that are usually superior to what I can craft for my level without constantly going through the effort of RE my mods for upgrades.

Edited by dizzyMongoose

The daily lv 50 heroic quests get me all the mods I need. At lv 50 I haven't bought any mods for my self or my companions. I have no need to because I can get them for free (or cheaper then what people are offering on the GM).

I have been able to sell a lot of the modable gear on the AH. Particularly the modable lv 47 light armor head piece that looks like a head band. It can be worn by companion characters and doesn't look silly like most light armor hats. Been able to sell a lot of other modable chest and leg piece on the ah because people like how they look and can mod them accordingly.

Synthweaving has been worth it for me. My knight alt has been appreciating it and I am rather fond of my t3 belt and bracers on my sage.

I actually like synthweaving because I spend 10 mins every now and then getting the blue versions of items which are better than equivalent lvl orange gear with green mods etc. Also my look changes more often, I don't want to wear the same armor from lvl 10-50. RMG is random but I've nevr had too much difficulty getting blue recipes, and if you stay on top of your gathering skills you'll have an abundance of mats and every now and then will even get a purple version of an item.

In short, if you're not making yourself good gear while leveling, it's cause you're not doing it right. :-/

The only good I can see Synthweaving is, is when it's maxed out or for RE'ing to get epic versions of schtuff. It's also nice to learn custom gear to make for alts and yourself. Not a terribly practical/useful profession though. I wore custom gear the whole time so I didn't finish my Synth. My husband stayed on top of his, maxing his out maybe in his 30s and only got a few good pieces while leveling (rare custom gear slots basically). It's more useful now that he's 50. Edited by Xelestial_Dragon

Hey, Synthweaving is getting a significant update in the upcoming Game Update 1.2.

Leaving it to the imagination as per usual. Would be nice to actually get a little bit more info than the same response "Upcoming".

Edited by Mysquine

Synthweaving at max level is now theoretically one of the best min/max skills in the game... To get a crit slot crafted belt/bracers = a free 56 main stat, and the best part is afterwards you can drop the skill for biochem or another crafting skill. But cybertech is absolute garbage now, and with the biochem nerfs you can just buy the equivalent of rakata at an affordable price (or better if you're rich) and enjoy you're free 56 main stat and rakata belt/bracer ahead of everyone else.

Now if you're talking about leveling up that's an entirely different story--but I leveled with a synthweaving buddy and he always made us awesome blues that ended up lasting many levels until he could create the next blue.

Edited by Anbokr

Leaving it to the imagination as per usual. Would be nice to actually get a little bit more info than the same response "Upcoming".

What we know so far is that orange armor will be crittable. That combined with the fact that we will be able to remove armoring from set pieces should produce some interesting alternatives for endgame.

I'm personally hoping they will add legacy schematics.