Tank to Healer conversion

inknform

Yeah, I'm sure the thread title confused a few of you ;)

In any case, I just thought I would share the story of how I died...and came back as a healer. Amen brotha! :D

But seriously, I've played a tank for many years in MMOs, never thinking I would want to be a back-seat healer/support class. However, I re-rolled another JC and went Sage. Typically I was soloing a lot of content in TOR as a tank, but as a Sage I wanted to put my Seer-dom to the test and did as much pugging as I could in FPs and Heroics.

I basically sold myself as an "experimental healer with no promises of life-safety", but when it came to nomal FPs and Heroics, most people didn't care and were just happy to have a healer at all. So, I did my part: bubbled & healed the MT and OT, cc'd elites, and occasionally threw out some dots, and channeled dps to help when my force pool allowed. But then I (at least with a few groups I was in) had to deal with my cc's being broken by my own group members (no thanks to those pesky exploding AoE barrels that ppl love clicking on indiscriminately) and mobs attacking me most likely due to healing aggro.

So, in all the mad juggling of re-ccing, pushing inc mobs away from until the MT/OT taunted, re-bubbling the tank, and trying to keep my force pool in the upper bracket, I managed to allow the MT to get burned down to almost nothing, and see the poor guys comment of "Well this is a wipe..." UNTIL I shifted gears with noble sacrifice, and spammed the only two heals I had at lvl 25 and brought that health back up to par and the MT was back to doing his worse.

Now, I know this is nothing special and quite honestly most of the stuff I read from healers are way more drama than what I experienced, but the best part about it was the fact that the MT was so blown away by the last second save that he asked me to join him on a few more heroics. Now that's just an awesome feeling, especially when you are just starting out in a new role and anxiety tries to hold you down.

So, between my Operative and Sage, I think I'll have my work cut out for me :)

I guess all those DPS players have little concept that not only are healers overpowered, they are the most important character role in the game. I myself started as a Vanguard tank, and you really appreciate what a healer does to keep you in the fight.

Nice work on good use of Noble Sacrifice. Later on Long term force preservation is a must, but you cant really control your team-mates.

at least you knew who the tank was...

on many lowbie fp's i am constantly running into group setups of 1 healer (myself) and 3 main tanks

each "tank" will hurl himself into a different group of mobs simultaneously and they are all just a hair out of healing range

as you mentioned- this is only with the 2 heals the lowbies get - the one that takes forever to cast and can maybe fill 3/8 to 1/2 of a health bar depending on crit/relics/adrenals; and the other one that "lol's" at you as you cast it for tons of resources and it heals just enough to let one think the inc damage might be outhealed if only one could spam it 15x's in a row

spamming the shield on the group just makes them believe they are now invincible as they will force jump into a new group as the problems grow exponentially...

then there are times as the op mentioned where a certain wipe was avoided and the group realizes what had actually happened for once

good on ya

Edited by Daxy