Beginner Questions

Kenickie

Hi. I am a beginner so I believe this thread would work best. I purchased this game really on the fly. I have been waiting over 8 years for a game that would be similar and stack up to the fun I had playing Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided back in mid-2003. What I'm really looking for is the more in-depthness to the game than just doing missions. Can someone please let me know if there are other things to do? I really liked that in the old game you could spend hours and hours working to Master the ability to have the best campsites (Ranger), medicines (Doctor), foods to improve fighting (Chef) or someone who improves fashion (Tailor) or can sell you the best weapons and armor (Blacksmith). You could find a remote area in the huge worlds and build a house by a stream. Those were some of the really cool things I enjoyed in SWG. Does this game provide the same attributes? Or is it simply single and group questing? Thank you for your input!

best you can do as far as i know is crew skills and work on gathering items for crafting, crafting, and reverse engineering so you can make epic items, but you can still quest while your companions are off getting you stuff and building their skill/your skill. keep in mind though when your companion is off on a mission he/she cannot help you quest

You're not going to find those sorts of things here.

You can certainly pick up crafting, different crafters make different things

artificers - enhancements, and saber modification

cybertechs - mods for weapons and armors, spaceship parts, speeders (bind on pickup)

armormech - armor

armstech - weapons

synthweaving - force sensitive armor

biochem - stims, medpacks, etc.

No housing in game, you do have a spaceship that sort of acts as a house, but really you can't put things in it to show off yet.. I imagine alot of these things will come later.

This game does have ALOT of depth, but its more in the forms of story etc.. you could focus on just crafting if you wanted

Hope some of this helps I'll watch the thread a bit if you ahve more questions.

So, if I decided to become say, a biochemist for example - would it take me a long time to master it and make the best stims, medpacks, etc. as possible? And are they able to be sold into an open market and make some kind of monetary gain on them?

What really keeps you coming back to the game time and time again? Is it the new quests? Improving your character? I just want to know where the drive is that is the thirst for this game.

So, if I decided to become say, a biochemist for example - would it take me a long time to master it and make the best stims, medpacks, etc. as possible? And are they able to be sold into an open market and make some kind of monetary gain on them?

What really keeps you coming back to the game time and time again? Is it the new quests? Improving your character? I just want to know where the drive is that is the thirst for this game.

well, i'll have stab at this... biochem (as most crafts) mostly depend on your source of raw materials... should you have unlimited credits, good friends or guild, you can master a craft pretty fast.. every craft does take real time (like 1-5 minutes at the begining) and you can only que 5 craft per companion. There's definately a market for the right stuff as most people rather buy items outside of their own expertise.. medpacks etc are needed by most players. Haven't done much biochem my self, but on the cybertech -side.. there's definately those certain items that sell fast if the price is right....

why do i keep comin back ? storyline. first and most. every class has a different path and even most players... although it must be said, the pve content is pretty straightforward and linear. pvp, crafting, spacefight, flashpoints, ops.. plenty to choose from at day 1. And more will come.

not sure i answerd anything but..

/2 cents

Thank you. That does help. I just really have no knowledge of this game but I want to be sucked into it. I want to be at work and thinking "damn, I want to get home and play that game because tonight I will [enter fun thing here]!!"

I will need to restart the game at this point. I am only Lv. 2. I had to add Windows 7 to my MacBook and at first boot of the game, I had no sound. So to follow the storyline, I'm already lost because I couldn't hear a thing. I logged out though, ran my OSX Disk which added all the necessary drivers to my Windows 7 partition of my HDD, and now I have everything I didn't at first [most importantly sound and wireless internet]. So if the storyline is what is a main driver, I must restart my character.

I would suppose restarting a character is a simple task?

well, i'll have stab at this... biochem (as most crafts) mostly depend on your source of raw materials... should you have unlimited credits, good friends or guild, you can master a craft pretty fast.. every craft does take real time (like 1-5 minutes at the begining) and you can only que 5 craft per companion. There's definately a market for the right stuff as most people rather buy items outside of their own expertise.. medpacks etc are needed by most players. Haven't done much biochem my self, but on the cybertech -side.. there's definately those certain items that sell fast if the price is right....

why do i keep comin back ? storyline. first and most. every class has a different path and even most players... although it must be said, the pve content is pretty straightforward and linear. pvp, crafting, spacefight, flashpoints, ops.. plenty to choose from at day 1. And more will come.

not sure i answerd anything but..

/2 cents

Just to add to this, you can only send out 5 companions at 50.. so one companion @ a time every 10 levels.

Also the missions at higher levels take up to 30 minutes to complete.. the purple one **** rich yield items can take over 2 hours.

Anyone can become 400 of a crafting skill (the current highest lvl) but it takes a lot of time and resources to master all the schematics. You can first make green schematics, then take them apart for a chance to make them blue. Then you make blue schematics. After that you take them apart for a chance to make purples.

Depending on which schematics you work on, you have a lot of opportunity to make good money as it will take a good amount of time before everyone has all the purple schematics.

Excellent. I love these quick responses. I don't even know wheat schematics are at this point. When I play the game more and research this website to learn more, I'm sure everything will start making sense to me. I am driven to play more! I must just wait until tomorrow night after my day job and when I get a Microsoft mouse that allows right clicking!

I would suppose restarting a character is a simple task?

Quite simple. Once you know the play mechanics, play area and your class, it wont take too many hours to race to lvl 10 in any starter area...

ps. good thing is, you can que the needed crafts and logout for some shuteye.. they'll be waiting when you login next time... for those 30+ min missions and crafts :)

Nevermind… I had it on the right thread...

I chose a PVP server because I thought that would best suit my playing needs. I don't want to easily be a target of a higher level character, but no non-NPC player can attack me unless I agree to fight, correct? I figure at some point PVP might be enjoyable, but not always. Is mostly everyone on PVP servers? Also, are there certain servers that you would suggest I use? The server I started up in seemed slightly barren (I don't recall the name). Then again, the game is less than a week old and it was past midnight on a Tuesday morning EST. I just want to be sure I'm starting out in the best place possible so I'm not regretting it later on.

Edited by Kenickie

I chose a PVP server because I thought that would best suit my playing needs. I don't want to easily be a target of a higher level character, but no non-NPC player can attack me unless I agree to fight, correct?

I'm afraid not. Once you leave a safezone, you'll be automaticly flagged for pvp and they can have their way with you, wheter you agree to or not ;) (on PVP server)

but, to my experience you wont see much of the opposing side untill your lvl 25 or so.. and rarely at best even still (well, on Ahto City -server atleast).. but you can start the "battlegrounds" (sory for the lack of proper terminology) at lvl 10 if you choose to.

as for server choise... i'm tempted to suggest some med-high populated server but the login ques can be anything from 5 mins to several hours on "popular" ones... (high peak times like friday evening and weekends)

Edited by Asgorim

I chose a PVP server because I thought that would best suit my playing needs. I don't want to easily be a target of a higher level character, but no non-NPC player can attack me unless I agree to fight, correct? I figure at some point PVP might be enjoyable, but not always. Is mostly everyone on PVP servers? Also, are there certain servers that you would suggest I use? The server I started up in seemed slightly barren (I don't recall the name). Then again, the game is less than a week old and it was past midnight on a Tuesday morning EST. I just want to be sure I'm starting out in the best place possible so I'm not regretting it later on.

you couldn't even see pvp until Nar Shadaa