So a question about Wookieepedia..

Wolfninjajedi

How come everyone doesn't like it when its used to reference something? Ya I know it can be edited, but come on...who is going to sit around days on end to change a bunch of stuff knowing if they do they can be caught by Lucasarts and deal with legal issues. (I'm just taking a guess that people do get in trouble, for changing something about a franchise that wasn't done without permission) They probably don't get in trouble, but still I really doubt anyone would sit around and change a bunch of stuff. If Wookieepedia is so bad to you folks, how can it be exactly?

Theres information about characters, and there are source links citing where each piece of information came from. So whats the deal folks? Just because some people can't spend hours and a ton of money to buy books and the like, read through all of them to get information they can get from wiki doesn't mean their arguments are invalid. Now can they be invalid? Of course they can, if someone has proof from a book or what have you saying such and such but even then its worded differently and the wiki can't cram every single line from every book so they sumirize it nicely.

If its so bad as people claim it to be, why have a SW wiki anyway? Obviously since most don't seem to like it, why have it? In fact why have a wiki about anything anyway?

Anyway just wanted to throw this out there, because it somewhat bugs me so lets get some responses going.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I think it has more to do with the spotty nature of the EU then it does with the fact that it is a wiki. There is some amazing stuff in the EU, imo some of the greatest characters, some of the most compelling villains, etc... But there is also a lot of stuff that sort of stands against reason and seems to be nothing more than really terrible fan-fic writing. There is a trend of turning minor movie characters into super-powerful super-complex characters when there is no point. There is also a trend of bending the main cast from the movies in so many different ways that they lose all personality and charm.

I have a pretty neutral stance on the EU, i love some of it, some of it I think we would be better off without. I think that star wars is so near and dear to so many people's hearts that linking the IG-88 wookiepedia page during a heated discussion of his actions during Episode V and revealing that he was the death star probably won't make too many people happy.

I actually thought IG-88's story was really interesting and should have been expanded on more, but the moment it was decided he was going to kill everyone he wasn't going to last very long. But this isn't about the EU, this is about the wiki and why everyone seems to dislike it. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

My problem with it is the people that write it for example

Remember in RoTJ when Luke asks Leia if she remembers her Mother? And she says she died when she was really young and that she only remembers her being sad.

Well in reality when that scene was written they were actually talking about Luke and Leias mother (padme didn't exist at this point) and she didn't die in child birth.

After the prequels that changed everything and we don't really have an official explanation except we know that Lucas changed it.

HOWEVER the article in Wookiepedia written by the most hardcore fanboys don't acknowledge that.

they say Leia remembers her mother Padme when she was born and for the 30 secs they were together.

The people that write Wookiepedia are so obsessed with Star Wars they refuse to accept any inaccuracies with the source material.

Remember in RoTJ when Luke asks Leia if she remembers her Mother? And she says she died when she was really young and that she only remembers her being sad.

Well in reality when that scene was written they were actually talking about Luke and Leias mother (padme didn't exist at this point) and she didn't die in child birth.

After the prequels that changed everything and we don't really have an official explanation except we know that Lucas changed it.

HOWEVER the article in Wookiepedia written by the most hardcore fanboys don't acknowledge that.

they say Leia remembers her mother Padme when she was born and for the 30 secs they were together.

The people that write Wookiepedia are so obsessed with Star Wars they refuse to accept any inaccuracies with the source material.

So...having inaccuracies is a good thing your saying?

Hey! Rewatch Ep. III buddy - if you pay attention, Leia's eyes are open when she's born, and Luke's are closed! (Only halfway joking - that really does happen, and I have seen people really clinging to that explanation.)

Well, if you don't acknowledge Wookieepedia people won't care. Its basically similar to not acknowledging whats canon, except maybe they make a mistake. But LucasArts and Even BW devs have recommended Wookieepedia. And Authors have Recommended Wookieepedia for canon information.