"TLJ Destroyed SW Lore!" Uhm, Ever Heard What Legends EU Did? [SPOILERS]

Ylliarus

The quality of all the old EU stuff largely depends on the vision of the author. Timothy Zahn's vision was a lot closer to the movies than some of the more outlandish things that others added. Personally, I think it's all subjective.

As I said above, I liked most of the NJO.

I'll give it a shot, eventually.

I'm not sure I'll go beyond the NJO though.

Too many books to read to just fixate on Star Wars Legends...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who the hell told you that was no problem? Do have any idea how much **** Lucas got for that oh and the kid for being an Mary Sue and 11 year old kid?

No problem my *** its not the most hated Star Wars movie for now for no reason. Inform yourself.

Did you even read the post you are quoting?

Might want to try it before telling someone to "Inform yourself"

Did you even read the post you are quoting?

Might want to try it before telling someone to "Inform yourself"

Oh yeah fair enough he is got an point at least in FA they had help from the inside in New Hope they bent the lasers so they could work.

Edited by adormitul

But that's the thing, one person's "they ruined the lore" is another person's "they expanded the lore in a new and interesting way" -- whether you're talking about the Old Republic era EU, the post-RotJ era EU, or the new Disney Canon.

I agree with that, one man's trash is another man's treasure as the saying goes.

If one's talking about radical departures from the movies' lore, then Old Republic EU stories certainly fit the bill just as much as the post-RotJ bunch.

• Naga Sadow ripping the core out of a sun with the Force.
  • The Muur Talisman instantly transforming any non-Force Sensitive person near it into a Rakghoul.
  • Nihilus being able to drain the life from an entire planet.
  • The Rakata having transporters.
  • Vitiate having a ritual that would drain all life in the galaxy if performed.
  • Revan dying and then having his Dark Side half come back to life while his Light Side half became a Force Ghost.
  • Bane learning to transfer his soul into another person's body.

But that's the thing, one person's "they ruined the lore" is another person's "they expanded the lore in a new and interesting way" -- whether you're talking about the Old Republic era EU, the post-RotJ era EU, or the new Disney Canon.

All of them have good explanation within their character characterization and background. On the other hand the post ep 6 EU totally breaks with what we saw in the movies, and it makes them into totally different characters that don't fit. They might as well be totally different characters that just have the same name.

+ story wise, it's the ancient days, with the orignal sith and jedi. The movies era sith and jedi are just cosplayers from a certain point of view, if we look at it as a historian would, without paying attention to the fact that the whole franchise started with the original 3 movies.

The only exception is with the Jedi Exile because she could not possibly be as weak as she was in the Revan novel. When it comes to everything else, it makes sense, which can't be said about the movie characters that got insanely godlike suddenly and magically in the post ep 6 EU.

As bad as the movies were, at least they didn't overpower the characters, suddenly and without reason. Rey is crap yes, but at least her original form is overpowered marry sue. She didn't become that, after being something else.

Edited by Kaedusz

I think I speak for everyone when I say we would take all of that op rather then what TLJ gave us.

All of what you put down had heart and soul put into it. It was loved by the fans and made by fans. All TLJ was made for was so Disney can get a buck.

You don't speak for anyone but yourself. Get over it. What I've heard about the old EU is absolute garbage and I'm glad they wiped it. This movie rocked and furthermore it sent all the old nerds into a nerd rage the likes we've never seen, which also makes me very happy. :D

Edited by QuiDonJorn

Yeah, the Muur Talisman gets a huge "Nope!" from me. Feels a bit too high magic given that it works instantly... plus I hate Rakghouls *shudder*

I feel like a more gradual transformation of the victims would fit better.

The worst part about the Muur talisman is that it's part of a multi-era cross-over that makes it hard to read any of the following comics (KotoR, Rebellion and Legacy) in a vacuum AND it usually sets up for the finale of at least one major storyline (The end of the Covenant's storyline in KotoR and the first "death" of Darth Krayt in Legacy)

Plus the art in "Knights of the Old Republic : Vector" is dreadful.

Quick question: Would anyone be interested in participating to a thread where we'd list our top 3 Legends novels and comics (Separately), quickly explaining why? That could be a nice way to introduce others to Legends stories they may have missed and/or provide a different outlook on stories they may have disliked and/or dismissed. And beyond that, it could be a way to remember that while many of us have our gripes with Legends, it wasn't all garbage ^^

All true, but could you please specify in the thread title that it is the post ep 6 EU we are talking about. Not making it clear sounds like all the EU is bad, and the Old Republic EU is the exact opposite of bad.

I admit the title isn't the best one, as pre-RotJ Legends content to me is the best content in Star Wars ever created, especially the Old Republic, the Bane trilogy, Plagueis, Kotor 1 and 2 etc. Really, nothing has managed to top pre-RoTJ Legends continuity for me, not even stuff from the new canon.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luuke_Skywalker

A Luke Skywalker clone called Luuke Skywalker, who is a dark and insane version of him... and people complain that Luke Skywalker was bitter and cold in TLJ when they were seemingly fine with this in Legends EU?

How is this the same thing? Luuke Skywalker is a clone that is nuts because that's what happened to clones what were forced to mature too fast, and only shows up for a couple of pages so Mara Jade can kick his sweet bottom and fulfill Emperor's last command to her without murdering the actual Luke Skywalker. Luke in TLJ was Luke Skywalker, and (as far as I know) had a meaningful part in the movie.

I'm glad to see Callista go, though. I always hated her. :D

Thank you OP for this thread. I agree with it so very much.

Personally I hope official cannon stays away from the uber godlike force wielders like other folks exemplified. Ripping the core out of a sun by using the force... Really?!?!

Edited by Valceanu

Thank you OP for this thread. I agree with it so very much.

Personally I hope official cannon stays away from the uber godlike force wielders like other folks exemplified. Ripping the core out of a sun by using the force... Really?!?!

By now most of you know probably know why I'm here lol. But for this part I'm going to play devil's advocate. Some could argue that it is these god like force users that humble and more humanize the characters they affect. A perfectly exceptional human defeating a god like evil doer does have an appeal to it. The idea that no task is impossible has inspired humanity from the beginning. After all wasn't it nearly inconceivable to imagine the Alliance ever being able to destroy the Death Star? Outmaneuver the Imperial Fleet? Or ever getting close enough to Vader or the Emperor to decapitate the Imperial Leadership?

While there is a difference between a super-weapon and a god-like being the principal is the same. Hero or rival overcoming impossible odds to succeed. It's why other franchises like Marvel and DC create god like villains.

Though on the flip side I can understand the desire to drastically reduce the number of god like beings in the Star Wars Universe in favor of focusing on those characters that didn't have as much a chance to shine under the EU and other less established aspects of Star Wars.

As I always say, I respect both sides of the fan-base but neither side is right or wrong. Canon went the direction it went for a reason and Legends went the way it did for a different reason.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luuke_Skywalker

A Luke Skywalker clone called Luuke Skywalker, who is a dark and insane version of him... and people complain that Luke Skywalker was bitter and cold in TLJ when they were seemingly fine with this in Legends EU?

This point I really don't understand. The clone makes perfect sense within the story he's in (he's created to bribe a crazy darksider to work with the Empire, and the darksider's arc is that he wants to train somebody), he's crazy due to imperfect cloning process and training with a madman, he doesn't say anything stupid in the book (actually he appears only for the final fight and doesn't talk) and works as a nice resolution for Mara's conditioning.

Can anybody tell me why this plot is considered bad, other than being featured in a bad CNET article?

A much better story than TLJ hmm? /sarcasm

Spirit transfer is more like something a Sith would do... but I wouldn't be able to decide which story is better :)

Yeah, the Muur Talisman gets a huge "Nope!" from me. Feels a bit too high magic given that it works instantly... plus I hate Rakghouls *shudder*

I feel like a more gradual transformation of the victims would fit better.

Isn't it gradual? Wasn't Cade able to cure his infected friends before they turned? I'm not sure but I think something like this happened in Vector.

Edited by juliushorst

Isn't it gradual? Wasn't Cade able to cure his infected friends before they turned? I'm not sure but I think something like this happened in Vector.

He was able to cure people who were attacked and injured by raks, I think, but not people who were transformed via talisman.

This point I really don't understand. The clone makes perfect sense within the story he's in (he's created to bribe a crazy darksider to work with the Empire, and the darksider's arc is that he wants to train somebody), he's crazy due to imperfect cloning process and training with a madman, he doesn't say anything stupid in the book (actually he appears only for the final fight and doesn't talk) and works as a nice resolution for Mara's conditioning.

the clone is.... ok for me it's the Naming convention. Instead of just calling it "the Clone Of Luke" espcially since since he doesn't show up to the end they add in the extra U which is just dumb. What is the though processes for that? We don't name Twins the same name and add an extra vowel.

I don't remember how they deal with it in the Audio book though

On an unrelated note here is my favorite of the dumb EU stuff http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Irek_Ismaren

Scroll down to see his awesome light saber armor

Edited by jarjarloves

Need I say ABOLETH with Luke and Ben Skywalker fighting a force deity(Abeolth). That's not worse than Rey? Really?

Though we did lose the X-Wing books as canon and that blows.

Really that is the problem what about Father, Son and Daughter in new canon that are also deities in the force that can not be killed only by special weapons and can transform into large beasts.

Yeah new canon is not that restrained either but its not in the movies as Aboleth's events where not either.

I am sure I can find you got to be kidding moments in new canon also. Do you want me to?

On an unrelated note here is my favorite of the dumb EU stuff http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Irek_Ismaren

Scroll down to see his awesome light saber armor

He never actually wore full armour in the books... just a kilt, and the plates with the lightsabres. That pic is likely the concept for if he'd actually been completed before awakening. It's an interesting idea though.