(R.I.G) Trying to bring common courtesy and friendliness back to gaming

Saani

Hi there everyone,

I am here as a representative of a group of gamers and guilds who over a year ago came together to try and bring back some of that ‘Old School’ type of MMO community that we believe has slowly begun to ebb away from our gaming experiences in recent MMO’s, and to that end we all grouped together to try and make a change to that here in SW:TOR. A post by our founder Ty-Odi on the pre-launch forums kind of exploded and from there ‘The R.i.G.’ was born.

We currently stand at around 30 guilds being signed up to this, and we have individuals and guilds from all over the globe, and covering all manner of different gaming styles and preferences.

We are currently looking for guilds and individuals who like us, share the desire to see some basic common courtesy and respectful game play ideals such as the ones listed below in our charter return to out gaming experience in SW:TOR. If you think you or your guild would be interested in such a thing? Please do not hesitate to contact us.

http://www.respectingaming.com is our website, please feel free to pop by and say hi, or to just have a nose around, we are not a ruling body, nor are we trying to take anything away from any individual guild or person, we are merely trying to bring likeminded people together, and to try and make this a truly amazing experience both for ourselves and those we come in to contact with on our gaming journey, below is our charter, and if you are interested in either coming to one of our servers to game with us, or to try and take these ideals and promote them on which ever server you end up on it would be great to have you.

Many thanks for reading, and I am sure I speak for everyone on the RiG in hoping that we hear from you all soon!!

THE CHARTER

The goal of this charter is to form a group of like-minded individuals and guilds on one or more servers to foster a sense of community and respect among all players.

By signing this charter, you agree to do your best to show your fellow players the same mutual respect and courtesy that you would like to receive in return.

There are no official rules to this charter. It cannot be policed or monitored by an outside party or the development team. We will uphold it ourselves using simple common sense. We pledge our faith in community and in each other. By signing, you agree to do your part to protect these ideals.

Goals of Respect in Gaming:

· To promote universal respect and common courtesy to your fellow players at all times.

· To accept player diversity in age, race, gender, orientation, and playstyle without prejudice.

· To aid and assist your fellow players as best you can.

· To be there to help create a fun and friendly environment within PVP to not only take part in, but also to learn in, by offering hints and advice to those learning.

· To be there to help create a fun and friendly environment within PVE to not only take part in, but also to learn in, by offering hints and advice to those learning, and to do so showing as much patience as possible. To exercise a sense of fair play and compassion, when distributing loot, and to make these experiences not only about the challenge, but having fun as well.

· To be mindful and respectful of any people who are in the middle of RP, and to show support and respect for this community by allowing them to go about their business unhindered.

· To help out newbies to the game by offering advice and guidance, and perhaps even combat support if necessary, to aid them, and to do so showing them respect and courtesy even if they fail to return it.

We sign this charter and acknowledge that these goals represent the spirit of our community, not the letter of the law.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting this mate! :)

And I too would just like to say hi :) Whether you decide to join our community or not, I wish you all the very best, and truly hope SW:TOR brings you guys an amazing gaming experience!

Look forward to meeting any of you who do decide to wander over! :)

And if any of you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact me, and I will do anything I can to help answer them.

All the best guys!!

Ty-Odi

Founder of the RiG

I've not visited your website yet, but I really agree and appareciate this initiative.

I'm signing as individual, and I'll let my guild know about this charter. As it really fit our aspirations as gamer, I'm sure everyone will sign aswell.

/Elloa signed

Thanks guys/girls.

You're more than welcome to pop over to the RIG site anytime and say hi and possibly meet a few of the others involved. We'd love to meet you, and have you involved if you are interested!

Damolawler - I did see your post earlier, and it's one of the reasons I made the above post. It's an atmosphere we're striving to avoid by bringing back the 'good old days' of MMO companionship and camaraderie.

This is how I play.

These are concepts that I not only believe in, but endorse. :)

The guild I am in has these same beliefs and I can only hope that all our members, and fellow MMO players, keep to the principles we've declared.

/Signed

An excellent idea, I'll be looking for RiG in a guilds details when I eventually join one.

Velerak.

Thanks for the support guys :) And Velerak, there are plenty of guilds on the site if you are looking for one, just check out the guild section and see if any fit :) some really cool people and guilds in there :)

I'll show my fellow players consideration and courtesy but respect they have to earn.

The thing is, for me you are by the very definition if what you have just said showed at least some basic level of respect to your fellow gamer. Consideration and courtesy are simple basic respectful behaviours, and all any of us ask. :)

If you are on about someone you look up too and respect a great deal then perhaps that’s different? But again, this is not really something that is earned? It is something that comes about due to their actions or abilities. Something they would do with or without you being around?

I have never quite gotten this belief that respect should be earned? How can it be? In very simple terms, if you show no one any respect until they somehow earn yours, are you in fact not being disrespectful to them? And therefore why should they even wish to try and earn yours?

Sorry, not picking on you :) I have seen this statement many times, hehe, and it still baffles me, surely in order for someone to even want to make the effort to earn your respect, you should at least show a little towards them? I know respect has many meanings, but I guess we are not talking about the same one :)

I think you are on about the respect you would have for someone you looked up too?

Where as we mean the respect you should simply show to every one on a day to day basis :) and for me, that is not something which ever needs to be earned, it is simply given, well unless they then show themselves to no longer be worthy of it perhaps?

/Signed

An excellent idea, I'll be looking for RiG in a guilds details when I eventually join one.

Velerak.

As Ty-Odi mentioned - We currently have approx. 30+ guilds signed up to RIG, on both sides of the force, ranging across PVP, PVE, RP as well as EU and US servers! I'm sure you'll find a home somewhere :)

I find that I tend to have a somewhat elitist outlook towards player behavior and sometimes find it hard to be sympathetic to their plights and hardships. I however have no issue with people who are just inexperienced/confused who actually ask for help with purpose and need. Willfully ignorant players, and such people in generally seem to irk me the most.

I wholly applaud your attitude and ideals, and I do try to do so as well but sometimes the inner distrust of others and their social "shortcomings" seem to just be a huge road block. I will admit that my own demeanor could be construed as part of the issue.

I hope that at least a large portion of the player base is like the fellows here and that perhaps my jaded prejudice towards unknown players will lessen.

Edited by DullSeraph

*text*

I think it comes down to how we perceive the word. Everyone will give certain words more or less meaning on how they interpret the strict definition.

I agree that the kind of consideration you're referring to is something we should pursue as the bare minimum in our daily interactions but I don't see that as respect, respectful yes but not respect itself, if that makes sense.

I think it comes down to how we perceive the word. Everyone will give certain words more or less meaning on how they interpret the strict definition.

I agree that the kind of consideration you're referring to is something we should pursue as the bare minimum in our daily interactions but I don't see that as respect, respectful yes but not respect itself, if that makes sense.

Oh totally :)

It also changes if you say..

Show respect

Have respect

The two are very different as well. Funny word, lol :)

Oh totally :)

It also changes if you say..

Show respect

Have respect

The two are very different as well. Funny word, lol :)

/signed

Nice to see others promoting these virtues, it makes gaming so much more pleasant for everyone.

Ty-Odi - I was interested in checking out the info in your signature, but the link no longer works.