What is the purpose of this game?

Livedtomato

So as the title says I'm a little confused as to what is it my character is supposed to be doing in this game. I know that it's Sith Empire vs. The Republic but as far as I can tell each faction has its own questing area so the chances of you seeing another person of the opposite faction are rather slim unless you go to Ilum and come on let us be honest, does anyone go there? So PvP isn't the big thing here, now PvE. Other than a few quests and flashpoints what is my character striving towards? Is there some end game boss that I'll end up grinding until the new content, or what?

So as the title says I'm a little confused as to what is it my character is supposed to be doing in this game. I know that it's Sith Empire vs. The Republic but as far as I can tell each faction has its own questing area so the chances of you seeing another person of the opposite faction are rather slim unless you go to Ilum and come on let us be honest, does anyone go there? So PvP isn't the big thing here, now PvE. Other than a few quests and flashpoints what is my character striving towards? Is there some end game boss that I'll end up grinding until the new content, or what?

It seems to me as though you're looking for a "The End" moment. The problem is MMO's don't have that, especially not this one. Games like this are all about the journey, the rise to power, and (in this one in particular) the story that's yours along the way.

So as the title says I'm a little confused as to what is it my character is supposed to be doing in this game... Other than a few quests and flashpoints what is my character striving towards?

Play your character's class quests and it will be clear what your characters is striving towards. Each character class has a different goal. Playing planet quests will give them something else to strive towards on a shorter term basis.

A bit weird to dismiss things with 'other than a few quests', because quests are the mechanism by which a character's story is progressed.

This your first MMORPG m8?

I know that it's Sith Empire vs. The Republic but as far as I can tell each faction has its own questing area so the chances of you seeing another person of the opposite faction are rather slim unless you go to Ilum and come on let us be honest, does anyone go there?
On planets that are shared between the Empire and Republic, while the questing areas are mostly different (except for the bonus series areas), you can always get to the enemy side easily enough if you want to look for enemies. Look for a road that leads off of the explored area of your map to an area where quests are not sending you.

If you head into enemy territory, you should be able to find enemies to PVP with. They should be around your level too, so could be a fair and interesting fight. Watch out for level 50 guards near their bases, though.

Each world has its own boss, but it seems to me as though OP has only experienced the first 2 or 3 planets. Once you get to Nar Shaddaa, the planets are shared. For sure, the Empire and Republic congregate in different areas, but this is the case in any conflict, otherwise it would be a really short war.

This game is a product and each product has a purpose. The purpose of this product is entertainment. Yes, its true that people pay money to be entertained. We go to movies, plays, sporting events, etc. all to be entertained.

I personally do not go to baseball games because I am not entertained by that sport and I don't think any hardcore baseball fans will take offense to that statement.

I am, however entertained by SWTOR which is why I play it. If this game is boring you or is just not your thing, you won't be offending anyone if you find something else that does entertain you.

The best answer I can give to your question is; its completely up to you. Follow the story, go get in PvP fights or do something strange with a droid. Its completely up to you.