World PvP in PVE servers?

RGinny

aside from the set pieces (huttball and the warzones) will there be any open areas for non-timed/ nonrestricted pvp?

The reason I ask this, is because I was hoping to truly enjoy the story aspects of this game without being ganked post 20 by 40+ers. However, I also want to have some time unrestricted place in the world where i can go for pvp without timers or objectives.

I have only played in 2 beta weekends, but was so about the stories I didnt even pvp once.

So I turn to you the community because you have the knowledge readily available that I seek.

I really don't want to be all into my tatooine quests but then find that I cannot effectively finish them solo because tatooine becomes a free for all in PVP servers (Erickson referenced this happening in a video)

So is my only options a PvE server with timed pvp games or a PvP server where I will have trouble questing by being ganked for the tradeoff of a better endgame?

EDIT:

Thank you all! My question is answered and I can roll on a PvE server not being afraid of missing any cool PvP content!!! No ganking for me! (at least till Illium, but by then ill be asking for it!)

Edited by RGinny

Bump as I'm also curious about this......

Anyone know if the PvE servers are more like Warhammer with their pvp zones in them?

And with that....is world PvP going to be worth the same as Instanced PvP, or is it a joke like (game that won't be mentioned here) where their is really no reward to it?

crazy question but whats the difference between the pvp servers and pve? Yes, I know its focused on player vs player combat, but do you have to be worried about getting griefed?

It'd be annoying to get camped in a newbie zone by folks 10x your level. It'd bring unpleasant eve memories back :p

Also, are there rewards for killing people outside of the instances? Since I assume on such a server you'd occasionally run into folks from the other side.

One thing I'm wondering is how much PvP will actually occur on a PvE server. I mean, generally speaking, people that flock to PvE do so because they're not crazy about pvp. Sure Illum might be available endgame, and there are warzones, but how many people could one reliably expect to see on Illum at 50 on a PvE server compared to a PvP server?

I'd think Illum would be more populated, and warzones would pop more frequently on a PvP server... I could be wrong tho, might be alot of Daoc/Warhammer fans looking for pvp zones.

I love PvP but usually play on PvE servers because I hate getting ganked by 4 people who could not win in a fair fight.(got enough of that in EvE and Darkfall) On that point, a fair fight on a PvP sever rarely occurs and having to wait for a number of friends to play with all the time gets very tiring.

The Outlaw's Den looks like an interesting place to visit for all out PvP and you can even attack your own faction.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/18694-fan-site-summit-outlaws-den-impressions?cookieTest=1

One thing I'm wondering is how much PvP will actually occur on a PvE server. I mean, generally speaking, people that flock to PvE do so because they're not crazy about pvp. Sure Illum might be available endgame, and there are warzones, but how many people could one reliably expect to see on Illum at 50 on a PvE server compared to a PvP server?

I'd think Illum would be more populated, and warzones would pop more frequently on a PvP server... I could be wrong tho, might be alot of Daoc/Warhammer fans looking for pvp zones.

Not quite. People tend to roll on PvE servers because the're not crazy about GANKING. I'm an old school DAoC player and I like the idea of having my fights with other people who're up for a rumble. Cruising around hitting people who are in the middle of playing through a story quest doesn't float my boat, and I don't want to have to deal with the interruption when I'm doing my own story quests.

So yeah, in my case at least I'll be on a PvE server but doing warzones regularly and wandering over to Ilum for some action once I've levelled up. I imagine quite a few others feel likewise.

So, if you roll on a PvE server are you able to flag up for open world PvP on ANY Planet you want - or does it HAVE to be Ilum or one of the Warzones? My assumption had been that you'd just be able to turn on your PvP flag wherever you liked if you'd rolled on a PvE server, but I'm having trouble finding that out definitively.

I love pvp, but i hate ganking.

Sorry but ganking is not pvp.

To easy to roll a FOTM class and faceroll.

Or i dont know how many times ive been doing PVE fighting things i shouldnt just for a stealthed character to ream me as soon as i am at 25% heath.

no to mention.

Operative + companion = Auto win.

He will sap or "CC" Your companion then gank you out of stealth with his companion

In addition to Illum the other open PvP zone at launch is Smugglers Den.

http://torwars.com/2011/11/18/new-swtor-pvp-zone-revealed-outlaws-den/

There were Illum PvP videos listed on forum prior to wipe. ( check youtube or twitchtv ). Might still be on the net. You have to enter Smugglers Den on Tatooine and it is FFA ( able to kill own faction )

Yea, I'm actually fairly excited about Smuggler's Den, I enjoy crafting as well :D But out of curiosity, you can still flag up for PvP anywhere/any planet you like on a PvE server correct?

Yea, I'm actually fairly excited about Smuggler's Den, I enjoy crafting as well :D But out of curiosity, you can still flag up for PvP anywhere/any planet you like on a PvE server correct?

yes you can but if you want pure pvp :D pvp sever :). Pvp sever has no rules :D. I been there in early beta was fun for awhile ^^

Edited by ninjashadowdark