Update to the 250% CXP Event.

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

The math savvy among you are going to notice the current CXP boost in the game for the event is operating at 350% instead of 250% as we originally stated. Since the Mission buffs are coming in 5.1.2 we decided to make the boost even larger until then! Since this was a last minute change, the in-game tooltip will still state 250% but the bonus is in fact 350%. Note that XP and Requisition are still 250%.

Get in there and enjoy your crazy CXP bonus. :rak_03:

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

The math savvy among you are going to notice the current CXP boost in the game for the event is operating at 350% instead of 250% as we originally stated. Since the Mission buffs are coming in 5.1.2 we decided to make the boost even larger until then! Since this was a last minute change, the in-game tooltip will still state 250% but the bonus is in fact 350%. Note that XP and Requisition are still 250%.

Get in there and enjoy your crazy CXP bonus. :rak_03:

-eric

This is not "last minute change" it's another bug! :rak_01:

But i like this bug! :cool:

No, it is working exactly as you said it would. A boost of 100% would mean that something that gave you 1000cxp would now give 2000. A boost of 200% would mean that you would get 3000 and a boost of 250% would give you 3500. Please don't pretend this was an error and you are just being nice by leaving it in since in every place on the website it was worded as a boost of 250% to cxp, not a boost to 250%.

(...)the current CXP boost in the game for the event is operating at 350% instead of 250% as we originally stated. (...)

I would have never noticed. Thanks for mentioning it. I guess, um... I have some business to attend now. See you in some days. ;)

No, it is working exactly as you said it would. A boost of 100% would mean that something that gave you 1000cxp would now give 2000. A boost of 200% would mean that you would get 3000 and a boost of 250% would give you 3500. Please don't pretend this was an error and you are just being nice by leaving it in since in every place on the website it was worded as a boost of 250% to cxp, not a boost to 250%.

Nope.

It was said 250% = 2.5x

So, e.g. u get normally 1000 CXP that would mean 2.5x 1000CXP = 2500 CXP.

So 350% boost means 3.5x. E.g. u get normally 1000 CXP that would mean 3.5x 1000CXP = 3500 CXP.

So it is not working as they said but I doubt anyone will complain :p

Correct me if i am wrong Eric.

Nope.

It was said 250% = 2.5x

So, e.g. u get normally 1000 CXP that would mean 2.5x 1000CXP = 2500 CXP.

So 350% boost means 3.5x. E.g. u get normally 1000 CXP that would mean 3.5x 1000CXP = 3500 CXP.

So it is not working as they said but I doubt anyone will complain :p

Correct me if i am wrong Eric.

So your math is wrong. When something is "increased" it's different from the way you are trying to understand it.

We'll start simple. A "100% increase" is essentially doubling your existing value. If you have 100 per, and you get a 100% increase, you will now have 200 per. So 150% is essentially your 2.5x as this is an "increased" value. (100% + additional 50% so increasing by 150 = 250 total.)

In this instance 250% is multiplicative of 3.5x. So as it was explained above, if you are getting 1000 normally and you have a 250% "increase" in experience, you will gain 3500 per.

The patch notes state

"Bonus Experience Event! Level through your Command Ranks faster than ever before with a 250% increase to all Command Experience gains, as well as leveling Experience and Starfighter Requisition, until Game Update 5.2!"

250% increase.

This should mean:

Previous CXP sample - 10 CXP

Base - 100% = 10

Additional CXP bonus - 250% = 25

New CXP = 35

Is there a way to turn this bonus CXP silliness off? There is no need for it. In the limited time I have to play I have no problem leveling Command levels on over 10 toons. Sure I may not be 300 yet on any single toon but I am coming a long way on multiple toons. Not to mention on over half my toons if not three quarters of them already have 2-3 set pieces by level ten and 3 set and 1 other purple by levels 15-20. Perhaps a debuff from vendor like there was when the 12x xp nonsense was going on. Other than that keep up the good work!

As Mike_carton said, it's not Math, it's wording. The boost was said to be "OF 250%", that is, 3.5 times current rate, and not "earn CXP at 250% normal rate", which would in fact be 2.5 times.

Anyway, I'm happy to be gaining CXP at 350% normal rate, or at an increase of 250%. Thank you very much :D

Woohooo!!

Hey Eric, it's just a wording game. You originally called it a "250% increase" to CXP. I am in fact a math savvy person, and that wording means a rate of 3.5x. Here's why:

100% increase ==> base + base ==> 2x

150% increase ==> base + base + 1/2 base ==> 2.5x

200% increase ==> base + base + base ==> 3x

250% increase ==> base + base + base + 1/2 base ==> 3.5x

A "100% increase" to something means that the thing grows by the entirety of itself one time. A "200% increase" means the thing grows by the entirety of itself two times. Et cetera.

So if something increases by 250%, then it is being multiplied by 3.5. It probably would have been much less prone to wording games if you had just called it 2.5x or 3.5x or whatever it was intended to be. If you communicated that you wanted a "250% increase" to your engineers, they would have said "ok, so that means 3.5x" and set their coefficient accordingly.

So, in the interest of clarity, let's just use multipliers rather than semi-ambiguous percent increase / not-increase. ;)

Edited by teclado

• Dev Post
Woohooo!!

Hey Eric, it's just a wording game. You originally called it a "250% increase" to CXP. I am in fact a math savvy person, and that wording means a rate of 3.5x. Here's why:

A "100% increase" to something means that the thing grows by the entirety of itself one time. A "200% increase" means the thing grows by the entirety of itself two times. Et cetera.

So if something increases by 250%, then it is being multiplied by 3.5. It probably would have been much less prone to wording games if you had just called it 2.5x or 3.5x or whatever it was intended to be. If you communicated that you wanted a "250% increase" to your engineers, they would have said "ok, so that means 3.5x" and set their coefficient accordingly.

So, in the interest of clarity, let's just use multipliers rather than semi-ambiguous percent increase / not-increase. ;)

Fair point. It does raise the question of if the % is a bonus or not. I will simplify it based on your own recommendation :)

Previously the CXP event was meant to be a 2.5x multiplier and it is now a 3.5x multiplier. If you would normally receive 100 CXP, the event would originally grant you 250 CXP and will now grant you 350 CXP.

-eric

For a champion in an FP, I'm getting

Base 20

Perk 10% = 2

DvL Bonus 15% = 3

Daily Highlighted Activity 20% = 4

Sub-Total = 29

Event Multiplier 150% = 43.5

Total = 72 (rounded down from 72.5)

It's additive. So it works as:

Perk - 10%

DvL bonus - 15%

Daily activity - 20%

Event multiplier - 250%

Total multiplier - 295%

You don't make a subtotal then add the event on top of that, that would be add multiplicative.

Scenario 1

Original 100%

Bonus 250%

Total current CXP 350%

Scenario 2

Original 100%

Bonus 350%

Total current CXP 450%

Which one is it? Math savviness isn't the problem, English savviness seems to be.

350% obviously. Unless we are talking about new core or whatever it's called math where "half bigger" actually means double and 200% means 50% of original.

My first ever time being quoted by EM!! *HAPPY DANCE* :cool::cool::rak_03::rak_03:

Thanks, Eric! To me, just using the multiplier makes it crystal clear. Kind of like how the 12x XP was given as a multiplier rather than being called a...sheesh, I gotta think about this...1100% increase haha. :D

Fair point. It does raise the question of if the % is a bonus or not. I will simplify it based on your own recommendation :)

Previously the CXP event was meant to be a 2.5x multiplier and it is now a 3.5x multiplier. If you would normally receive 100 CXP, the event would originally grant you 250 CXP and will now grant you 350 CXP.

-eric

He he, good one.

The way you choose + for the calculation and a x for explanation will make everything easier to understand for everyone.

This thread has already proven that there is no stump too small to draw a pissing contest in this forum. :rolleyes:

Eric has explained it, even shown the math result in his follow-up (because of faux-math prosecutors quickly ganking the thread). Arguing for the sake of arguing is pointless. Which leads to the conclusion that some players are embarked on perpetual pointless crusades over nothing.

Edited by Andryah

Woohooo!!

And also, if it wasn't like how you stated, all those 25% XP boosts we use would mean we're earning XP 4x slower than if we didn't use it :p

I know it is impossible to make everyone happy, and you needed to increase the rate at which I can progress thru the command levels. I am unhappy with the command boosts you sold me on the cartel market however . When you had the sale, I spend many cartel coins to buy boosts that were supposed to give me a 25% increase for 3 hours. With the increase you implemented on this release I now get less than 10%. I get very little for real dollars spent.

This thread has already proven that there is no stump too small to draw a pissing contest in this forum. :rolleyes:

Eric has explained it, even shown the math result in his follow-up (because of faux-math prosecutors quickly ganking the thread). Arguing for the sake of arguing is pointless. Which leads to the conclusion that some players are embarked on perpetual pointless crusades over nothing.

Masterful use of irony. Well done.;)