Memory Lane. - Remembering the Concealment Operative.

KyoMamoru

I don't know how BW can just sit there while we are suffering in the PvE front while this was ment to be a PvE game when from the looks of it they seem to think it's a PvP game.

Because PVP is where most of the whiners and complaioners are these days and at launch. :cool:

also it was bad design choice than relics, adrenals and the expertise buffs could all be stacked on each other which lead to the massive Burst an Op was able to put out in those lovely days.

Why I choose an Op?

Played a Sorc in beta and I felt that it was to boring (just came from WoW with severals 85'a all ranged) and I wanted a change from 30m combat. I also didn't want to be one of the millions with a light saber in hands at the start. And the story just got me hooked :)

I've been healing ever since the nerfs came out and I have occasioned to do dps (when I can convince the other heals and RL to let me) and I'm not the best op but I get within 150 dps of our Sorc and Merc (our PT leaves everyone in the dust).

The Op is also unique in the SW universe ;)

Edited by nicehunter
Spelling

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me start by saying that i have been playing mmos/games for a very long time. I'm probably one of the older people in this community. Well, this is Star Wars, so maybe not......

I was a Rogue in WoW from the very beginning. I made it till the BC expansion, then got tired of where they took my class. Removing the positional requirements of some of our abilities took all the fun out of it. (This is not a problem in SWTOR, you just have to hustle it a little bit. But i think people prefer things made dumber.) All of a sudden, one patch, it was EZMode for Rogues. (There are those who will say it was always easy mode for Rogues.....they are wrong....and they are paladins.:p) Blah,blah,blah,yadda,yadda, years go by and i know find myself digging the operative class. This a great thread. Seems like the Operative has been through a lot compared to other classes. I am hoping this class will get just a few more tweaks to make it a little more fun. Like a gap closer. Little things make the difference.

Challenge accepted.

• 4 years later...

I know this is a super old post but I wanted to talk about my experience playing as an OP back in those days. I actually got to lvl 36? right after the aforementioned nerfs... so I got all the bread and butter moves after the fact (hidden blade with jarring strike, acid blade etc) I was kinda bummed out that I missed out on using them at full power, but to be honest I became a wreaking ball once I started hitting those levels. It changed the way I played and brought all the other abilities I was making due with full circle. Mind you, Im was coming from playing as a rogue in WoW, lot of experience on him and did OKAY, better with good support, but never truly being able to shine and get to that coveted top pvp status. On my OP, I dont know if it was because there were more Star Wars fans then experienced MMO players but I really kicked ***. Like untouchable level, I would literally pick a target, and it was like I willed them to death.... and it was amazing. People loved and hated me. Never was I so good at playing a class. I mean... a stealth that could heal, cleanse, had an opener that damaged, stunned, poisoned aaaand debuffed, in one move!!?, a ranged AOE blind!!? and ranged sap..... was just crazy to me. (I know some people might think of a druid but it just wasn't the same.) Plus being mid-ranged with your auto and a few moves (loved frag grenade and overload...but mostly frag lol). I absolutely loved playing as an Op, it was powerful but still required you to think on your feet and play smart, super adaptable and versatile and never boring. Ooooh how I wished I recorded some of those huttball sessions. Anyways if anyone just so happens to read this, please let me know your thoughts on current Op as compared to the Op on this discussion thread, thinking of getting back into it since the new movie and all.

P.S. If anyone remembers Hanna, Female Op from the guild Quantum (dont remember the server from back then)... that was me :D

I also came from wow where I was a rank 1 gladiator rogue for a couple of seasons, and I played eq and uo on pvp servers before that. I was an operative in the closed beta, and one of, if not the first one to 50 on live. Before the nerfs started rolling in, I was fully min/maxed in BM gear and one shotting pretty much everybody with 15k hidden strikes. The poor souls that survived, got stunlocked, and then subsequently two shot. It was fun ganking people who had no idea what they were doing, and probably belonged on a pve carebear server, but wildly broken if you know a modicum of mathematics, and know how to theorycraft.

Every single republic player on Wound in the Force was waiting for my nerf, and they frequently told me so. The nerfs came, but I already knew how to play the class, so it didn't matter. I 1v1'ed two of the very best shadow tanks on the server when that class was ridiculously overpowered and nigh unkillable for most, and won (see my pvp video for the fights). It wasn't easy, but it did prove that it was possible. That, and other duels sealed my resolve. I didn't want to play anything else. I was also the pvp and raid officer, and later GM for "Working As Intended", a world wide #2 progression guild in the vanilla/EC era, and as much as I would have liked to have been able to raid on my operative, I had to go marauder. Bioware copied our characters to test out EC before it got pushed live, and that update made the combat log public, so I immediately started running parses with an editor a friend coded, and the numbers were dismal. Without constant access to stealth, I had pretty much no burst, so it just wasn't viable for us to have a concealment operative on the progression force.

I've recently reactivated my account, and I'm getting up to speed with all of the new changes. While the skill cap has been dramatically lowered across the board, I think the addition of an escape, and a shadowstep are great for operatives, I haven't played since 2012, so there is quite a bit to catch up on. If this was the class at launch, I would have been able to raid at a top tier level on my operative, so I wish it would have come sooner.

TLDR - I still love playing the concealment operative despite the nerfs.

Edited by Nizel

shortened for replaying purposes

agreed, imo scrapper/concealment is the most fun spec in the game. i miss the knock down.

sadly whining from other classes especially snowflake sorcs has gotten this class nerfed, currently their burst is good but they lack the dcds of other melee dps classes.

Assassins got to keep spike... maybe if we cry loud enough we can get PvP knockdowns back. I'm game if ya'll are. (I miss the good old days)

We'll never be quite as good as we were though. No Explosive Probe, no Orbital Strike...

sigh

alright, I'm in. Whos starting this petition to get our cool things back!

Edited by Iymurra

Assassins got to keep spike... maybe if we cry loud enough we can get PvP knockdowns back. I'm game if ya'll are. (I miss the good old days)

We'll never be quite as good as we were though. No Explosive Probe, no Orbital Strike...

sigh

This! I started playing again and I'm definitely feeling to loss of those aforementioned skills.... explosive probe was so damn satisfying, and Orbital Strike was just bad ***. I guess VS is like Explosive Prove but delayed, just wish we could use it without breaking stealth... think that would give us a nice opening burst to compensate for our former stun locking abilities. Collateral strike or whatever its called doesn't seem to pack the same punch as it used too, and setting up for burst makes the class feel a bit slower ( I might be doing this wrong but open with VS, Veiled Strike then backstab). Still relearning the class changes and my keybinds, so if you see me out there, please don't make fun of me to hard lol. Sometimes I get into a grove, I end up on a good team or im playing against people of same or lower skill lvl and I feel the tickle of my former glory days, and sometimes I get lawlrolled to death, but I just chalk it up as a learning experience and keep on going cause all in all I'm still having a good time.

Edited by Dj_Pickle
grammar

Yeah explosive probe was the burst that people just didn't expect. Volatile substance is definitely in that vein though. They don't see the setup until its too late. I would definitely push a c-dart right after VS now unless you don't think you can burst them down before the CC midgame starts. You can now use the talent for backstab and stab them in the face and apply acid blade, which is hilarious to me. Internal damage completely bypasses damage reduction mitigation, so it is superior to all other forms of damage for us, except in the case where a shadow, or sentinel pops tech/force immunity, in that case you want to hit them with overload shot for the kill, or just wait it out if you're not going to secure it. Edited by Nizel

Yeah explosive probe was the burst that people just didn't expect. Volatile substance is definitely in that vein though. They don't see the setup until its too late. I would definitely push a c-dart right after VS now unless you don't think you can burst them down before the CC midgame starts. You can now use the talent for backstab and stab them in the face and apply acid blade, which is hilarious to me. Internal damage completely bypasses damage reduction mitigation, so it is superior to all other forms of damage for us, except in the case where a shadow, or sentinel pops tech/force immunity, in that case you want to hit them with overload shot for the kill, or just wait it out if you're not going to secure it.

oooh ok I was trying to understand what you were saying...If I am understanding you correctly, when you say VS you mean veiled strike not volatile strike... so volatile then VS then dart to make volatile proc making it possible to use backstab when they turn to face you, which then gives you a TA that you would normally get when you backstab from stealth? ok ok Its all coming together in my head now, that would be way better than me trying to position myself to get a backstab. I was having trouble with that. Still learning how my moves work and how they synergize with each other lol thank you so much this is super useful info. Im was looking at Knin's guide to help me get up to speed, which is the most current guide I can find.

Yeah, you got it. I need to talk to some top tier operatives to confirm because I haven't played in five years, but the parses I'm doing support volatile substance as being our main source of burst now, with lacerates proc'ed off of collaterals as secondary.

so at range, i'd volatile, c-dart while closing. or at melee range, vol, vs (shiv), and then c-dart or if you want to stun lock, just lacerate off collaterals and backstab after a debil for acid blade and a hard stun that covers most of the duration of acid blade, so you can flash if you need it without it breaking due to a DoT like c-dart.

with volatile's sunder running, backstab becomes a utility, and not so much an opener anymore. Its a different playstyle then what I'm used to, and probably every operative that's taken a break. But the numbers seem to support this direction in playstyle. Its all simplification of the mechanics, which is pretty sad to see, the high skill cap was always appealing, I really enjoyed playing carnage marauder as well due to the high APM required to do well. I hit a lot of buttons when I play, its natural to me. I couldn't handle a two button arsenal merc. I would go crazy with boredom.

Edited by Nizel

Its all simplification of the mechanics, which is pretty sad to see, the high skill cap was always appealing, I really enjoyed playing carnage marauder as well due to the high APM required to do well. I hit a lot of buttons when I play, its natural to me. I couldn't handle a two button arsenal merc. I would go crazy with boredom.

This is why I loved the class, I had so many moves to pull from for what ever the situation called for. Tried the merc cause you know... bounty hunters are bad *** and all but I was just bored plus i suck at ranged. As soon as I got Frag grenade I fell in love with the Opd lol its got this weird mid ranged melee style that I really like ya know. Any ways Im running on the server with the wierd name, not the star forge one, so hit me up if you want!