Get rid of mats in ranked

themasterofevil

This is causing ranked to no longer feel like ranked, but more like reg arena matches where 1 team is actually playing to win and the other is throwing. Queuing for solo isn't even fun anymore because basically every match is a 1v4 or 2v4 because the other 2-3 people on my team just throw for mats. I DO PVP TO HAVE FUN AND THIS ISN'T FUN.

I just want to play ranked games without having to essentially play 1v4 and lose all my games.

Edited by themasterofevil

They should stay in Ranked in my opinion to encourage new people to give it a try, and hopefully stick around, *but* only be awarded for meeting certain damage, healing, or protection thresholds. The thresholds should be high enough that actual participation and trying to win is necessary.

They should stay in Ranked in my opinion to encourage new people to give it a try, and hopefully stick around, *but* only be awarded for meeting certain damage, healing, or protection thresholds. The thresholds should be high enough that actual participation and trying to win is necessary.

That would be 1000000x better than what we have now. It would also help if you were rewarded, say, 4 mats for losing majority of your games and you get, say, 6-8 mats for winning majority of your games. That would also help incentivize people to actually win.

Edited by themasterofevil

No, they should reward only the winning team so that the peeps that are mat farmers have to work to get their mats. Simple :|

I tried solo ranked for the mats over the weekend. I was trying to win, but I wouldn't have done it if I didn't want to go for the mats. Just a few games. Won 3, lost 1. I think all 4 games went all 3 rounds. Was early morning, so it was mostly the same 8 people, just rearranged into different groupings. One player predicted gloom and doom in every match I got him in. I guess none of us were good enough to be there with him. :rolleyes: But only one of the matches did the "other 3 of us" get told to quit queuing. Other than that there was surprisingly no hate.

Anyway, I like the mats drawing people in. Gives me a chance to give it a try without feeling like "omg, I better be awesome to even look at ranked!". Invasion of the scrubs! Deal with it. :D On the other hand, I still don't really like arenas, so I do wish there were another way to get those particular mats (well, I suppose there is if I were rich enough to buy them off GTN).

I tried solo ranked for the mats over the weekend. I was trying to win, but I wouldn't have done it if I didn't want to go for the mats. Just a few games. Won 3, lost 1. I think all 4 games went all 3 rounds. Was early morning, so it was mostly the same 8 people, just rearranged into different groupings. One player predicted gloom and doom in every match I got him in. I guess none of us were good enough to be there with him. :rolleyes: But only one of the matches did the "other 3 of us" get told to quit queuing. Other than that there was surprisingly no hate.

Anyway, I like the mats drawing people in. Gives me a chance to give it a try without feeling like "omg, I better be awesome to even look at ranked!". Invasion of the scrubs! Deal with it. :D On the other hand, I still don't really like arenas, so I do wish there were another way to get those particular mats (well, I suppose there is if I were rich enough to buy them off GTN).

Im fine with mats being in ranked but ranked is where you go to prove yourself. I keep getting put with people who, frankly, have no clue how to even play the game at all and spam all their DCDs in 3 seconds. They don't know how to properly CC, DPS, or anything. People who farm Solos for mats are not "trying to win" they simply don't care. It's really sad when you queue for solos and want to win and your other 2-3 teammates don't even try. I did 2.1mil overall damage with 4.5k dps while the other 2 DPS did 600-800k damage overall at 1.5-2.2k dps. I don't like when people say they're trying to win when they put out numbers like that. Ranked, both team and solo, is a DPS race. However, all the DPS have to be good. The frustrating part is those people that put out low DPS and numbers just don't care. I do. I wanted to start doing solos again recently and I've played 6 solos today and lost 5 of them because I get the same, for lack of a better word: trash, teammates. I looked up my rank and its already in bronze territory thanks to mat farming.

Queuing for ranked is no longer to prove you're good at your class/the game because most of the time its a 1v4 situation. Im the only person outputting enough damage to do something but without other DPS helping me, I can't kill anything. I just want mat farmers to realize this. Mat farmers piss off a lot of good players doing this stuff.

Now, as a side note, I almost won a game with 2 mat farmers after I told them to start doing more dps. We lost the first round, then won the second, then lost the third. Wanna know why we won the second? Because instead of putting out 2k dps, they both put out 3.5k dps on top of my 4.5k dps. Last round I did 5.3k dps and they did a tiny amount of 2.1k dps. If people actually TRIED to do something, you can win. But it's obvious that mat farmers don't want to try.

If someone tells you to stop queuing, they're mad because you're just not doing anything. You cannot win solos or team ranked doing sub 3-4k dps. So if you were doing below 3k dps, then I don't blame him for telling you to stop queuing.

If someone tells you to stop queuing, they're mad because you're just not doing anything. You cannot win solos or team ranked doing sub 3-4k dps. So if you were doing below 3k dps, then I don't blame him for telling you to stop queuing.

I don't appreciate people not trying to win in any mode of the game. Whether it be "mat farmers" who afk (or whatever they do), or I've also seen ranked teams come into regs to "practice" and also not care about winning. Both are just as bad in my opinion.

I don't remember exact numbers, but from what I saw all 8 of us were in the same order-of-magnitude of damage. I know in some rounds I had done more than the guy that told us to quit, and less in others. Just depending on who got focused first. So, in just my limited experience of those games, but it's all the experience I have, it's hardly that we didn't belong there and that guy was so much better he has some mythical "right" to tell us to leave. [Edit: also, I have no idea if he was really telling all 3 of us to quit, or just one of us - be it me or someone else - it was just a generic "quit queuing" in ops chat.]

Let alone if any such right even exists. I happen to personally disagree that "we" should all be good to queue ranked. Bio made the mechanism to supposedly put the bads down together and the goods up at the top. The goods are supposed to end up facing the goods, and the bads the bads. That was the way I understood the plan. But I didn't queue before, because good or not I never really cared about anything it offered, never much liked arenas, and didn't care to deal with the (reportedly) increased toxicity.

Perhaps, if I don't care about rank at all, I can see the validity in an argument that I should not be there. But just because someone is "not good", why should that mean they cannot join in and measure themselves against others? The button is not labelled "queue if you are the top 5% solo ranked ". It's just called "queue solo ranked".

Edited by Banderal

Maybe if they put some small amount of those mats in regs, people wouldn’t farm them in Ranked. The whole idea of putting them in Ranked was bad to start with.

There should probably be one in the weekly, at least.

Bioware needs to increase the availability of the new mats for augments, so why not put it in the Reg weekly. I'd also throw it in the GSF and Operations weeklies.

Bioware needs to increase the availability of the new mats for augments, so why not put it in the Reg weekly. I'd also throw it in the GSF and Operations weeklies.

Well as far as I remember mats always were in Operations, since they were needed only for PVE, but since they removed PVP geared they kinda messed up the system. I think they should only be given to winning teams or so, since if you look at the leaderboards for group ranked its a mess.

Maybe if they put some small amount of those mats in regs, people wouldn’t farm them in Ranked. The whole idea of putting them in Ranked was bad to start with.

They puted mats for tr only in order to revive tr. They must not put it for regs or sr because these two doesnt require any revive

My advice, don't queue for solo ranked. It's a crapshoot if you'll be stuck with a window licker who doesn't care about anything other than getting his mats, or someone who actually has some competitive drive and wants to win. More often than not, it's the former, and add to that the toxicity of some players in there, it's just not worth the headache.

Group ranked, on the other hand, is definitely worth it. If you bring 3 of your friends and you're coordinating on VOIP, you're already at an advantage over the solo ranked musical chairs game. I don't agree with removing mats from ranked, because if you did that then ranked queues would dry up fast. I do however agree with the idea that mats should only be awarded to the winning team in order to incentivize putting in the effort to actually win. Rewarding players who's goal it is to lose or troll matches only encourages that poor behavior. While this would likely drive away some players who have no interest in trying to win, it would improve the quality of group ranked as those remaining who continue to queue would bring more challenging and competitive matches.

Putting mats in solo ranked is probably the dumbest thing the developers could have done. It creates this atmosphere of players who on one side are competitive and there for rating and on the other side are there to die and get mats. With the system in place there is no intensive for players who jump into solo queue for mats to need to be competitive. Remember, ranked pvp is suppose to be endgame hardcore content for pvpers yet it is being geared for players to get reward without participating or are not there to be competitive. This wouldn’t be an issue for games with higher competitive population so these players who come in to farm stay in their own Elo bracket. In swtor solo ranked players who want to be competitive are placed with players who don’t, that’s a major issue that needs to be addressed.

That’s in the same lines with putting mats in a solo ranked system for nightmare ops where people just want to die and let their team do everything. And in the end they still get rewarded. Doesn’t sound fair right? Because it isn’t.

I would fix this with at least making Solo ranked only giving a weekly mat reward. Another way would be to give reward based on your contribution in the team. If your dead in the first 10 seconds you should get a gold star at the end of the game.

For group ranked keep everything the same. Group ranked serious players have their own teams and mat farms have theirs. The system in group ranked isn’t forcing you to fight in the same team as someone who isn’t there to be competitive or want rating. If mat farmers want to get mats and don’t mind getting farmed it’s on them and you don’t have to have your rating suffer because of their mindset.

On a side note if I we’re to change something about group ranked the only thing I would for group ranked is just make match making force you into a tank/healer 2 dps set up. Help newbs learn that that is the best competitive strategy, and also keep cheese out of ranked.

Edited by kissingaiur

I would fix this with at least making Solo ranked only giving a weekly mat reward.

It's already this way. Unless my daily ranked I just picked up yesterday after the update is foobar'd. The reward for the daily says I would get 40 components, a crafting box and 150 ranked tokens. Only the weekly solo I have gives Charged Matter Transwhateverers. I assumed the CMT were what everyone was talking about? Because those were the only things I found it difficult to get to make the new augs.

Another way would be to give reward based on your contribution in the team. If your dead in the first 10 seconds you should get a gold star at the end of the game.

I think players are too good at finding cheese ways to make any system view their input as "contribution". I have to survive for more than 10 seconds... no problem. I'll just never leave stealth. :p (Yes, I know that was just an example.)

I think it would be completely fair though, as others have already mentioned, to only award mats for wins. I don't know any way to fake the system into thinking you've won when your team actually lost. I guess "win trading" might count?

New people are not welcome in ranked.

Agreee 110% get the mats out of ranked, at least team ranked, solo is not really ranked anyway.

They really should remove them from solos because you have bads playing for an entirely weekly in a single day since there are no daily rewards.... In TR it doesn't hurt anyone but yolos is just cancerous with those people who come and ruin it to others for their dailies. Best thing to do is to queue dodge and sync with friends.

I think the devs should definitely award mats only for wins. I don't really care much about mats in team ranked because I play with friends who want to win. Solo, however, definitely needs to be changed.

As Hottie said earlier, they should force people into 1 tank, 1 healer, 2 dps comps. I agree 10000000000%. *Cough* 2 skank tank cheese strat *cough*

Agreee 110% get the mats out of ranked, at least team ranked, solo is not really ranked anyway.

and who are you to say who is and whos not allowed to play ranked? good thing you are not in coordination of this game, sorry sorry but just a comment is just selfish, this game is already sinking in population, the amount of players doing ranked eighter solo or group is extremely short and you and drive them even more? if you your ego need so much rate then go team rank with people you trust/like, solo is all about luck on wath setup you end and wath classes are against you, you serious cant expect everyone have same or decent skill at pvp do you?:rolleyes:

By new I mean new to Ranked, not new to PVP.

You always need some new players joining Ranked or eventually it dies, since player attrition affects PVPers too. There are always going to be a few people who move on to another game and don't return, and they need continual replacing.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

This is causing ranked to no longer feel like ranked, but more like reg arena matches where 1 team is actually playing to win and the other is throwing. Queuing for solo isn't even fun anymore because basically every match is a 1v4 or 2v4 because the other 2-3 people on my team just throw for mats. I DO PVP TO HAVE FUN AND THIS ISN'T FUN.

I just want to play ranked games without having to essentially play 1v4 and lose all my games.

Neo was here peace Out

Removal of mats from ranked would be the death of ranked..

Why would anyone que ? People need a reason/reward to take part in a game mode and I don't think that getting trash talked my so called "pro's" every game would be motivating enough to join the que.

Join for the sake of rating ? Who cares about rating.. Rating can be cheated. It means nothing.

Solo ranked was dead while it had no mats. Now that mats have been added it pops more frequently but still very long que times compared to team ranked, which is more profitable. Lots of $$$$

Edited by DavidAtkinson

The problem with this is that our ranked community for the most part has zero interest in building new players.

Lets be real, here's what will happen, they will try it, get obliterated and farmed without any help and giving the usual verbal bashing, and no mats for getting skunked by a good team. Do you come back or try again?

The competitive part of me agrees that this kind of reward probably doesn't belong

The practical part of me thinks its a good incentive.

Te realist in me realizes it wont matter either way until the community itself pulls its head out of its collective arse and makes a token effort to build players over farming them.

Ranked pvp is too much like a private chess club for masters. I really don’t care about mats, I just want a good match, but I go in with 238 gear as a healer who does well in unranked and just get destroyed by 248 gear mercs teaming up on the healer and then telling me to not come back. Who is farming for mats I wonder? It seems to me all these 248s are the ones farming for their alts. Look, ranked pvp is dying and won’t survive as a private pvp club for only a thousand players in the world. If you think others should leave because they are not good, then I am going to turn this around and say you are the problem. Go play something else for a month and create some space for new players. ELO can only work if you have a large enough population. I kind of wish they would go the Overwatch route and have all pvp gear equalized where you can just go choose a build, taking mat rewards and gear out of play entirely.

Out of my group of friends who started SWTOR a year ago I’m the only sub left. They have all moved onto other games and the reason can be found in this thread.

Last night a bunch of coordinated teams were playing unranked and just ganking teams, capturing all three nodes then ganking at the spawn. A player new to the guild was asking for help getting started in pvp but gave up saying it was just too uninviting and his team always lost. Good job guys.

Pro tip: if you dominate so thoroughly, your victims will leave, but you only hurt yourself because it’s obvious you care about it more than they do.