Stormcaller Attacks

Hi guys,

I was reading my combat logs, it seems that all attacks of Stormcaller are force/tech attacks because I am not seeing 1 single shielding/glance log against stormcaller...

If this is the case I am going to take force focus instead of a shield for the fight. Can anybody confirm that?

And the big hit from Stormcaller "Electric Discharge" seems to be happening every 20s, do u know any pattern so I can time my Force Shroud....

Thx for the answers

Based on your mention of Force Shroud, I'm going to attempt to safely assume that you're an Assassin tank.

If this is the case, my sincere suggestion to you is switch to being the tank of Firebrand. If you're adamant about being the tank of Stormcaller, then there's really nothing you can do for that fight except stack some endurance and ride it out, because that tank does not like Assassins.

I have 27K buffed health so endurance is no problem :)

Our DPS is having problem with the enrage timer so if attacks are not shieldable I am planing to get force focus and a power relic instead of shield....

Didn't really look into stormcaller's attacks, but i can parry/dodge/shield the 8 missiles he shoots while i'm running during defensive mode time, so i'm keeping my shield on :)

That is actually firebrand shooting missiles up in the air during that phase.

I'm actually reasonably certain that's correct. Filled in as a pickup DPS on a story mode Denova last night and we had a shadow tank on Stormcaller and a Guardian tank on Firebrand. Instead of a tank swap the shadow just taunted off the guardian for the incinerate armor cast and cheesed it with resilliance (Force Shroud is the mirror?) which suggests Storm caller had nothing but Force/Tech to add to the balance.

My understanding was it basically reduced your armor to 0 making your ability to take damage nil. In retrospect this seems silly since then why would a tank swap help?

I dunno, we usually just cheese it with force cloak/deflection or resilliance it seems.

Anyway my initial reasoning is that if Stormcaller did weapon attacks, and the shadow's armor was at 0 this would make them just as susceptible to damage. The fact that he could just resilliance through the whole thing and take no damage suggests stormcallers attacks must be force/tech based since resilliance doesn't offer protection against white damage.

Edited by ArchangelLBC

My understanding was it basically reduced your armor to 0 making your ability to take damage nil. In retrospect this seems silly since then why would a tank swap help?

The point is that Stormcaller's attacks are elemental, so they ignore armour and can't be mitigated except by passive elemental resistence. In turn the actual damage they hit for is tuned to account for this. A tank swap just means that the tank with the temporarily non-existent armour is on the boss where armour doesn't matter.

As for prioritising a Shadow tank on Stormcaller, that's just because of their slightly higher elemental resistence. With tank swapping, though, it's somewhat of a moot point.

Tbh if you have 27k hitpoints then i am wondering how low your other stats (def rating, shield rating, absorb are)

Our main tank has 25k hit points and is fully geared in rakata/black hole and 2 campaign pieces with augments, he is actually trading off endurance if it gets him better defense ratings. (also assassin tank)

Tbh if you have 27k hitpoints then i am wondering how low your other stats (def rating, shield rating, absorb are)

Our main tank has 25k hit points and is fully geared in rakata/black hole and 2 campaign pieces with augments, he is actually trading off endurance if it gets him better defense ratings. (also assassin tank)

Was thinking the same thing. You really dont need that much health. you would be fine with around 22k as long as your defensive stats are where they need to be.

Nonsense, you can have 30k health and still have more than enough defensive stats.

There is absolutely no reason to have 30k health in the game at this current stage. All you are doing is making it harder for your healers to top you off. You are better off having the defensive stats period.

There is absolutely no reason to have 30k health in the game at this current stage. All you are doing is making it harder for your healers to top you off. You are better off having the defensive stats period.

No matter how much def and shield you try to stack, you will take full-hit attacks and you will take them several times in a row, it's good to have a hp buffer for those times. Running around with 22k (as mentioned previously) makes you just annoying to heal, hell most 61 geared dps/healers have ~21k hp.

Edited by Kiisu

There is a thread discussing it right now. The logs need to be made clearer so we can really see what is going on, and make determinations.

I am under the impression tanking is broken right now because of their initial design. Until a hard cap or HUGE DR is met, increasing defensive stats should be a priority if they designed the hit model correctly. For hits to bypass the 2nd roll check entirely is garbage.

There is absolutely no reason to have 30k health in the game at this current stage

I would counter with "There's absolutely no reason not to."

Tanks in this game don't get hit very hard, so either gearing strategy works fine for current content. The advantage of stacking Endurance is that it provides a guaranteed increase to time-to-live when heals dry up. Defensive Stats only provide RNG protection in that regard, since you can still take a streak of unavoided and unshielded hits. Endurance is also better against Force/Tech bosses like Stormcaller.

Tanks in this game don't get hit very hard

Hu ? Did you tank HM Kephess ? I'm a full black hole/campaign geared shadow tank and he ***** me on a regular basis. The fact is, I don't think you really have to choose between endurance and defensive stats. Mods with high secondary stats usually gives high endu/willpo imho.

Anyway, I think we're drifting from the original topic here, and i'd just like to add that I don't think a shadow tank is less suited for Stormcaller : with high elemental resistance and a handy deflexion cd to cope with mortar volley I don't have any real tanking issue on this fight.

Also, we don't swap tanks anymore. We put a taunting dps (vanguard, shadow or guardian) on Calcinis' nose, he grabs aggro during Stormcaller's first Double Destruction per cycle, the tank gets the aggro back when Calcinis casts his big attack, and we're fine :)

Hu ? Did you tank HM Kephess ? I'm a full black hole/campaign geared shadow tank and he ***** me on a regular basis

Sure, plenty of times. He does not hit that hard relative to how tanks get hit in other games like WoW.

%29 Def

%58 Shield with Dark Ward

%39 Absorb (%60 when Shield Amplification relic procs...)

I used 10 Advanced Fortitude Augments to reach 27K....

I did this after the nerf, our self heals are percentage based, I am nearly getting the same self heals as number like previous to the nerf, that is the only reason for 27K....

I understand that Stormcaller's attacks are all Tech+Elemental - if that's the case, you can't shield them, and your Defense Rating and Armor Rating are moot. I don't know whether the mortar volley is Ranged or Tech, if it is also Tech then yes, if you are on Stormcaller at all times a shield generator is pretty much irrelevant for this fight. If you swap tanks (as my guild does) you will still want the shield generator for when you're on Firebrand.