Can a Fully Honed Mandalorian beat a Jedi?

pawnofevil

I'm speaking strictly from the movies, that was his only kill. Ya...you mean that absurd comic where he took on those Jedi bare handed? The ones who seemed to forget that they could use The Force, or the fact that their training seemed to have went completely out the window? Really think on that for a minute Beni....that comic was full of CIS/PIS...I am actually surprised its even canon with the way it was written.
I haven't actually read the comic but I get what you mean. However his Jedi kills are an important part of his back story, as thats kinda of the reason why Jango was taken on by Dooku.

That's why this is so difficult to call, because everyone has a different idea of how tough Mandalorians and Jedi are. I would still count him killing Vosa as reasonable though.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't actually read the comic but I get what you mean. However his Jedi kills are an important part of his back story, as thats kinda of the reason why Jango was taken on by Dooku.

That's why this is so difficult to call, because everyone has a different idea of how tough Mandalorians and Jedi are. I would still count him killing Vosa as reasonable though.

Reasonable yes, but note she was just a padawan who went darkside, and he only beat her didn't kill her that was Dooku. Though he actually should have died before hand, but Zam saved him. Now see him beating Vosa, I can see as alright she wasn't fully trained and went to the darkside thus her emotions were clouding her judgement and all that noise. However if Vosa was fully trained heading to the darkside, and becoming a Sith Lord...without plot going on I really doubt Jango would have survived the encounter.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I'm speaking strictly from the movies, that was his only kill. Ya...you mean that absurd comic where he took on those Jedi bare handed? The ones who seemed to forget that they could use The Force, or the fact that their training seemed to have went completely out the window? Really think on that for a minute Beni....that comic was full of CIS/PIS...I am actually surprised its even canon with the way it was written.

He didn't really kill Vosa, Dooku did though yes Jango did fight her and beat her though he was outmatched by her Force skills and the like. His only saving grace was his jetpack and weapons(moreso the former) though....infact he should have died before then and was actually saved by Zam.

We should remember that not all Jedi could use the force for telekinesis or at least use it in combat. Corran Horn had NO telekinetic ability and some jedi had to concentrate far more than others. Beyond that, very few Jedi are recorded as being able to use other, more rare, abilities during combat. If the force was that powerful we'd have seen just about every jedi wave their hand and throw a few hundred droids around instead of fighting them off with sabers all the time.

We should remember that not all Jedi could use the force for telekinesis or at least use it in combat. Corran Horn had NO telekinetic ability and some jedi had to concentrate far more than others. Beyond that, very few Jedi are recorded as being able to use other, more rare, abilities during combat. If the force was that powerful we'd have seen just about every jedi wave their hand and throw a few hundred droids around instead of fighting them off with sabers all the time.

They still are trained in CQC and could use The Force in augmenting their abilities even if they can't do the latter they still have their CQC...and were suppose to believe that half a dozen jedi can't? In their training Jedi are taught how to use The Force. Even Horn was able to use The Force to enhance his reflexes.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Reasonable yes, but note she was just a padawan who went darkside, and he only beat her didn't kill her that was Dooku. Though he actually should have died before hand, but Zam saved him. Now see him beating Vosa, I can see as alright she wasn't fully trained and went to the darkside thus her emotions were clouding her judgement and all that noise. However if Vosa was fully trained heading to the darkside, and becoming a Sith Lord...without plot going on I really doubt Jango would have survived the encounter.

I mean even Exar Kun fought MTI on his terms, giving him every advantage and Mandalore still lost.

Of course against powerful force users like Exar Kun, any Mandalorian is going to be defeated. But I think at least Jango Fett could kill an average Jedi Knight. I mean he tangled with Obi-Wan and did pretty well (he would have lost in the end of course) But that's Jango Fett, I think against a Mandalorian, a tough one, Jedi Knight would win 85% of the time. The 15% loss being if the Mandalorian could disarm the Jedi and keep them disarmed.

Buy yeah, 85%, maybe even 90% considering what everyone has said. (Then again there was that time when Obi-Wan got owned by two Death Watch guys, but they managed to disarm him)

And for the record, jedi have shown themselves to be kinda average/poor when it comes to unarmed combat, while Mandalorians are experts.

Edited by Beniboybling

They still are trained in CQC and could use The Force in augmenting their abilities.

I agree with you, the force does enable 'super human' strength, reflexes, and agility. But the Mandos are generally in armor and are lifelong soldiers so they're exceedingly fit and extremely well trained. The jedi gets the edge, but no more than they normally get if you compared a good mando vs a jedi knight. While it's unlikely, the Mando COULD still win. I'd give it like 20/80 odds in favor of the jedi for Hand-to-hand combat.

Edit: I think vs a disarmed jedi, a mando in full armor might actually be more like 35-65 still in favor of the Jedi.

Edited by StarSquirrel

Of course against powerful force users like Exar Kun, any Mandalorian is going to be defeated. But I think at least Jango Fett could kill an average Jedi Knight. I mean he tangled with Obi-Wan and did pretty well (he would have lost in the end of course) But that's Jango Fett, I think against a Mandalorian, a tough one, Jedi Knight would win 85% of the time. The 15% loss being if the Mandalorian could disarm the Jedi and keep them disarmed.

Buy yeah, 85%, maybe even 90% considering what everyone has said. (Then again there was that time when Obi-Wan got owned by two Death Watch guys, but they managed to disarm him)

And for the record, jedi have shown themselves to be kinda average/poor when it comes to unarmed combat, while Mandalorians are experts.

But if jedi are average/poor in unarmed combat, then how come the Exile beat trained Mandalorians on their terms? Or how was Obi-Wan able to beat down Jango? Probably the average jedi is like that sure, but not fully trained ones. It would be rather moronic if warrior jedi weren't able to handle themselves if they lost their saber.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

But if jedi are average/poor in unarmed combat, then how come the Exile beat trained Mandalorians on their terms? Or how was Obi-Wan able to beat down Jango? Probably the average jedi is like that sure, but not fully trained ones. It would be rather moronic if warrior jedi weren't able to handle themselves if they lost their saber.

Plot armor, it screws with us all. Remember Obiwan's insistence to Anikan about keeping his saber? Yeah... I'd think there's a reason for it.

Edited by StarSquirrel

Plot armor, it screws with us all. Remember Obiwan's insistence to Anikan about keeping his saber? Yeah... I'd think there's a reason for it.

I think that it has more to due with it being a symbol of the jedi, and pretty much from the start they are trained with using a saber from the get go. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't know how to hand themselves unarmed.

Well yes, I would say a Jedi Knight = average and a Padawan = poor. But a Jedi Master = good/expert. However Mandalorian = good/expert as well. So they beat knights and padawans in that respect, and can go toe-to-toe with a Jedi Master (Neither Meetra nor Obi-Wan smacked their opponents down easily) Meetra Surik for one was one of the greatest Jedi of her age, equivalent to a Jedi Master. As was Obi-Wan, however arguably Jango landed as many blows as Obi Wan did in close-combat fighting, and Obi-Wan was defeated by two average Mando's without his saber.

And Jedi often put far too much dependence on their lightsabers, without then they often become far weaker if not defenseless. Its one of their big weaknesses. Which yes, makes them ever so slightly moronic. :p

EDIT: In the history of Star Wars losing ones lightsaber often leads to epic failing in combat.

Edited by Beniboybling

Well yes, I would say a Jedi Knight = average and a Padawan = poor. But a Jedi Master = good/expert. However Mandalorian = good/expert as well. So they beat knights and padawans in that respect, and can go toe-to-toe with a Jedi Master (Neither Meetra nor Obi-Wan smacked their opponents down easily) Meetra Surik for one was one of the greatest Jedi of her age, equivalent to a Jedi Master. As was Obi-Wan, however arguably Jango landed as many blows as Obi Wan did in close-combat fighting, and Obi-Wan was defeated by two average Mando's without his saber.

And Jedi often put far too much dependence on their lightsabers, without then they often become far weaker if not defenseless. Its one of their big weaknesses. Which yes, makes them ever so slightly moronic. :p

EDIT: In the history of Star Wars losing ones lightsaber often leads to epic failing in combat.

As I recall Jango only landed a good headbutt in on Obi-Wan. As for him losing to the two average Mandos....it was 2 against 1, though that does seem off cause Obi-Wan handled himself very well unarmed against Jango.....eh w/e.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

As I recall Jango only landed a good headbutt in on Obi-Wan. As for him losing to the two average Mandos....it was 2 against 1, though that does seem off cause Obi-Wan handled himself very well unarmed against Jango.....eh w/e.
Well Obi-Wan is the best of the best remember. And Jango managed to deflect most of his attacks and yeah, the headbutt. Still a fairly impressive perfomance. But again, in terms of skill they were equally matched, but Obi Wan beat him because his attacks were aided by the Force. Considering every Mando is trained to be as almost as good as Jango, I reckon the Force advantage could be overcome through pure skill (and if the Mando still has a blaster, well, another advantage)

I'd say that the only way a Mando can beat a Jedi is if he disarms him. And even then its not assured. I'm sticking with 85% though, as Mando's seem to be fairly proficient at disarming their enemies.

Well Obi-Wan is the best of the best remember. And Jango managed to deflect most of his attacks and yeah, the headbutt. Still a fairly impressive perfomance. But again, in terms of skill they were equally matched, but Obi Wan beat him because his attacks were aided by the Force. Considering every Mando is trained to be as almost as good as Jango, I reckon the Force advantage could be overcome through pure skill (and if the Mando still has a blaster, well, another advantage)

I'd say that the only way a Mando can beat a Jedi is if he disarms him. And even then its not assured. I'm sticking with 85% though, as Mando's seem to be fairly proficient at disarming their enemies.

Edit: Wait nvrm rocket from Jango. Was unfair that Boba helped though! Using ship guns is so overkill.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Actually it was Jango's rocket launcher, the Slave 1's cannons just rubbed in his failure. :D

Oh and remember when Bastila lost her lightsaber? Yeah, nuff said.

Ya edited that bit, don't remember Bastila losing her saber? But then Bastila was kinda....meh, or at least she was that way to me anyway. She only seemed to be good, thanks to her Battle Meditation I don't really recall anything else that was noteworthy.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Ya edited that bit, don't remember Bastila losing her saber? But then Bastila was kinda....meh, or at least she was that way to me anyway. She only seemed to be good, thanks to her Battle Meditation.
What? That was like the whole big fat thing on Taris. Carth didn't stop going on about it, actually quite funny. Apparently it 'fell under her seat'. :p Basically she lost her saber and the Black Vulkar's captured her and locked her in a cage for a rather long time. /fail

Bastila is actually a pretty tough Jedi though (when she has her lightsaber) Otherwise Malak wouldn't have taken her on as his apprentice. She also held her own against 'height of power' Revan coupled with Juhani and Bindo - and managed to escape them.

But with out her lightsaber, a Mandalorian would kill her.

What? That was like the whole big fat thing on Taris. Carth didn't stop going on about it, actually quite funny. Apparently it 'fell under her seat'. :p Basically she lost her saber and the Black Vulkar's captured her and locked her in a cage for a rather long time. /fail

Bastila is actually a pretty tough Jedi though (when she has her lightsaber) Otherwise Malak wouldn't have taken her on as his apprentice. She also held her own against 'height of power' Revan coupled with Juhani and Bindo - and managed to escape them.

But with out her lightsaber, a Mandalorian would kill her.

Oh that....ya now I remember, that was kinda stupid...its not like she couldn't just have used The Force or anything...but then again the Sith were all around so. *Shrugs* But should note, seeing as Jedi use their saber for pretty much anything the average knight or some fully trained jedi probably wouldn't focus too much on unarmed skills. Whereas the Knights/Masters who are actually smart, would do so just incase they found themselves without a saber.

Oh that....ya now I remember, that was kinda stupid...its not like she couldn't just have used The Force or anything...but then again the Sith were all around so. *Shrugs* But should note, seeing as Jedi use their saber for pretty much anything the average knight or some fully trained jedi probably wouldn't focus too much on unarmed skills. Whereas the Knights/Masters who are actually smart, would do so just incase they found themselves without a saber.
I agree, I think it would have been good if the OP specified what kind of 'Jedi' we were dealing with, as the come in all ranges of strength and power. Still I believe a Mando would spend a lot more time honing his unarmed combat skills than a Jedi would - they would be more focused in increasing their skill in the lightsaber and the Force. Even the smart ones wouldn't have time to hone their skills to a expert level, unless they were venerable masters who had lived for long enough. Again, age comes into this too, so many factors!

Ok I'm going to say here since a lot are using jango and boba if any of you watched the clone wars or read about it you would know Jango stole Mando armor HE ISN'T A MANDO. Same with boba he is merely a cloned BH

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalore Here is a list of mandalores. You will find jango and boba on that list. The clone wars confuses everything about mandalorians. :rak_03:

Your rooting for her death in TCW aren't you? :p

You bet. Even if it is Death Watch that takes their place. Anything is better than what the Mandalorians are now.

The Skull of Canderous looks upon her with shame! (Smuggler Easter Egg :))

Why isn't Duchess Satine on there? Isn't she a Mandalore? :D

I don't think the Hippie Mandos follow the same leadership structure. Therefore, no she is not nor will she ever be Mandalore.

I know you're being sarcastic, but god she infuriates me. I think GL wanted to find the best way to spit in Karen Traviss's eye and found it. I hope the Hippie mandos are annihilated in TCW because they're never mentioned post-ROTJ so it makes no sense to keep them.

Besides, how do you get a reputation as honor-driven mercenaries when half your people are pacifists? I'd kill them for sport and brag about my mando killing skills :rolleyes:

Edited by StarSquirrel