Free-to-Play Restrictions

TheCloneRanger

I am fairly new to the world of Star Wars: The Old Republic, and the main reason I bought it (besides being a Star Wars fan) is because I found out about Bioware's decision to make the game free-to-play. I was greatly looking forward to the option of playing for free, because otherwise I would be forced to quit playing since I cannot afford to pay for a monthly membership. Now that the free-to-play option will be available this fall, I am disappointed to hear that free member have limited privileges compared to members that continue to pay. I know that there is need for a source of income in order to keep the game running, but I do not believe this is what players expected to come along with this change and I do not think it is fair to exclude the benefits enjoyed by players up to this point to players who were only able to play the game because it will soon be free. This thread is for customers to discuss their opinions on this matter and I kindly request that Bioware give this area attention to decide what is in the best interest for the future of the game. Thank you.

So what should people who pay a monthly fee get for their subscription? If you as a free-to-play customer get everything the paying customers get, why would anyone subscribe? The common understanding seems to be that you will have limited access to some content but that you can go to the cash shop to increase the level of access you get.

I think the bigger question is are they going to charge for the right stuff?

When STO went f2p, it was fairly obvious the real fanboi's wanted ships and uniforms of their favorite series that they loved or wanted to re-live, and they'd pay nicely for that desire. Personally, I'm not sure SWTOR is targeting the right crowd with what they claim they will be charging for :: mostly level 50 content. I think the real genius of SWTOR isn't that particular content, but the story lines up to 50, which will be free. And we all have experienced that drag around the end of Ch.2 which we all seem to bog down at. So they are betting that players will grind to get to 50 and want to continue with Ops and WZs and such so much that they will suddenly pay to play? I'm not sure that model works long term.

I think if they offer special playable species or style of clothing or something in the market, they will be a popular money sink.

I also think if they charged per Chapter somehow, and just keep creating new chapters post-50 every once in a while it'd be popular.

But charging for Ops/WZs post-50 ... I just don't see that desire, unfortunately.

But in the end, I hope it all works for them as I do enjoy playing daily ... way too many hours daily!!

Now that the free-to-play option will be available this fall, I am disappointed to hear that free member have limited privileges compared to members that continue to pay.

most MMOs that have both a free-to-play and subscription option do this. otherwise there would be no incentive for people to pay a subscription fee.

if you dont have to pay but get the exact same stuff what incentive is there for anyone to pay to play? there would be none.

F2P players have restrictions because they are not paying. that is how f2p works, f2p is in essence the basic game with advanced parts of the game being available through purchases through an in-game store (cartel shop) or by paying the sub

If you purchased the game because you heard it was going to be Free-to-Play, why didn't you wait for that?

Or play the current unlimited trial to level 15? then buy...

If you are upset that you purchased the game, knowing it was going to be free to play, why not go to the announcement that describes everything about the intended Free-topPlay model on this site? it's not like it was all a big secret to surprise you unaware.

I personally think as the post above indicates they may be targeting the wrong people with what is paid. but it looks like you can buy those token things and get gear, or other items. I'll ride it out for now.

the only good thing i can think of about free to play is keeping the server poopulation up.

if anyone was on Mask of Nihilus, where before server transfers there were maybe 17 people at fleet on a friday night.

I think that they have at least some of the stuff right in regards to limitations and what they will (at least presumably) be selling in the Cartel store.

But yeah... What do you want, OP? Everything?

A sub is still going to cost $15. They are going to have to make sure that the subscribers feel that they are getting more than their money's worth if they plan on keeping them as subscribers.

So what, OP, would you give F2Pers?

What do you think is 'fair' to give to people that are not required to spend a cent to play?

The moment they announced Free to Play they said that there will be limitations for F2P players. So If you expected something else, it's your fault really. There have to be limitations otherwise Subscribers will be paying for nothing. The point of Free to Play is for you to choose what you want to pay for or not. You have the core game for free, story etc. Then you can choose to pay monthly for the whole game or pick what you want to pay for, probably as a once in a lifetime payment that unlocks it forever (just guessing there on the last part, nothing confirmed). So if you had different expectations than what was said you can't blame BioWare for it. See you at F2P launch. :D

I'm sure the flames I receive for this post will legendary but....

If you cannot afford $15 per month for a subscription, there may be more pressing issues in your life besides SWTOR. I'm not rich but I make enough money to afford my subscription. If $15 per month were really a financial hardship for me, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned with MMO's. I would be focusing all of energy into finding a way to increase my income.

I don't know the OP's story, maybe he/she is not old enough to work. In which case, it might fall to the parent(s)/guardian to pony up the money. If it is a financial hardship for the parent(s)/guardian can't afford $15 per month then, again, why are you worrying about MMOs?

Playing an MMO is a luxury and, fair or not, I can afford this luxury because of a combination of the first world country I live in and the hard work I have put into my education and career. There other luxuries in life, such as a yacht or private airplane that I cannot (yet, hopefully) afford.

Maybe you could use SWTOR as a motivation to find a way to earn enough money to pay for a subscription.

If you cannot afford $15 per month for a subscription, there may be more pressing issues in your life besides SWTOR. I'm not rich but I make enough money to afford my subscription. If $15 per month were really a financial hardship for me, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned with MMO's. I would be focusing all of energy into finding a way to increase my income.

I don't know the OP's story, maybe he/she is not old enough to work. In which case, it might fall to the parent(s)/guardian to pony up the money. If it is a financial hardship for the parent(s)/guardian can't afford $15 per month then, again, why are you worrying about MMOs?

Playing an MMO is a luxury and, fair or not, I can afford this luxury because of a combination of the first world country I live in and the hard work I have put into my education and career. There other luxuries in life, such as a yacht or private airplane that I cannot (yet, hopefully) afford.

Maybe you could use SWTOR as a motivation to find a way to earn enough money to pay for a subscription.

The first sentence made me laugh, but very well said.

This, and the fact that an online game with people actively working on it makes me want to pay a subscription. Makes me feel part of an ongoing project.

I don't care too much about fancy armor or thousands of pets, I want smooth gameplay, good servers and maintenance of the game universe.

That's why I will always pay a subscription.

Now that the free-to-play option will be available this fall, I am disappointed to hear that free member have limited privileges compared to members that continue to pay. I know that there is need for a source of income in order to keep the game running, but I do not believe this is what players expected to come along with this change and I do not think it is fair to exclude the benefits enjoyed by players up to this point to players who were only able to play the game because it will soon be free. This thread is for customers to discuss their opinions on this matter and I kindly request that Bioware give this area attention to decide what is in the best interest for the future of the game. Thank you.

You find it unfair you don't get the same access as people who do pay? I read it twice, but in no way this makes sense to me. I pay my subscription to play a game I like, not as some charity cause to people who 'can't afford a game' which is bs btw. (As written above it's only 50 cents per day...)

The access limitations aren't big at all, let's go through them.

Everyone will have access to the story-line 1-50, which is the most impressive part of this game in my opinion.

Species: Imo not so big of a deal, I can't play Togruta or Khalees either, which I'd love to play. Only difference is that no-one can.

Traveling: Ye I'd hate it if I can't quicktravel every 30 minutes (or less, go legacy) anymore, but game-breaking? No, definitely not.

Priority queues: When I see a queue to log-in I might get back to you.

Flashpoints: People generally only do their dailies (1 per day) anyway, more if helping out guildies/friends, even my PvE-guildies don't do more than 1 generally.

Spacemissions: Ye... again dailies, if any at all. There might be a few rare exceptions to this one.

GMT: This would hurt powertraders, but honestly, credits in this game hardly matter. If you can just sell the few prototype drops you have, some rare materials, you should be fine really, unless you're a powertrader ofcourse, who 'plays' the economie rather than PvE or PvP.

This leaves the 'no access to operations' yes this is a big issue to every single raider. No argument there. And limited warzones, big issue for every PvP'er. People generally either love PvE or PvP, there're always exceptions. So generally only one of those matter to a player.

How do people dare to complain, honestly. :confused:

I agree with everything you've said for myself.

However, I have friends who do not play MMOs expressly because of the subscription fees. It's not the lack of funds, it's the principle. With F2P they have expressed the desire to try SWTOR (big SW fans). They will now dish out the $60 for the game. How many potential customers out there are like my friends?

Or maybe there are a lot people out there who wanted a KOTOR3 and when they learned that it would be an MMO with a sub fee they decided to not bother. With F2P they may buy the box now and play the level 1-50 stories.

Going F2P is not necessarily all about being able to choose what the customer pays for, but getting more potential customers to pony up the $60 for the game itself.

I agree with everything you've said for myself.

However, I have friends who do not play MMOs expressly because of the subscription fees. It's not the lack of funds, it's the principle. With F2P they have expressed the desire to try SWTOR (big SW fans). They will now dish out the $60 for the game. How many potential customers out there are like my friends?

Or maybe there are a lot people out there who wanted a KOTOR3 and when they learned that it would be an MMO with a sub fee they decided to not bother. With F2P they may buy the box now and play the level 1-50 stories.

Going F2P is not necessarily all about being able to choose what the customer pays for, but getting more potential customers to pony up the $60 for the game itself.

Not even it is $15 for the digital version of the game. And the CE is around $70