See the future of The Old Republic!

CourtneyWoods

The main problem i see (Other than the ones i mentioned above) Is that they seem to be catering for a specific type of player. Now, thats all good. Its great they want to please the guys who enjoy warzones and similar. But the main reason I, and others, joined this game in the first place was because i was promised the SW universe. Not a clone of half the other MMO's out there. I was promised a world i could live. I am a hardcore (please excuse the term) roleplayer. And yes, there is a relatively good level of RP in game. Not because of Bioware content, but because of great roleplayers who play. Where is the universe. All i see is a blank and frankly lifeless universe, if you are a roleplayer looking for immersion that is.

I'm not a PVP guy or much of PVE guy (Unless RP requires either at a point) But, i do respect those who are into that. Yes, Bioware must cater for those people, but please dont put one group above the other, which is how it seems to me right now.

In fact... You know how it seems? It seems to me that you are catering for those to come. The F2P people. So tell me; What am i paying for again???

I do wish to thank those out there that HAVE made my roleplay experience a pleasent one. There are many of you. Some of us have only had brief encounters.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Please excuse the post after a post. I know among forums it is something of a "No, no")

I just wanted to point out, to those who will of course ask what i want in regards to roleplay. I simply want to point out how small the things are that make roleplaying a little more immersive. Some of my points were made on another post on this thread (Page 29, i think)

1. Stools and chairs you can sit on without the dreadful Sit emote.

2. Drinks i can buy in bars as a social item rather than "pretending".

3. Change some of the emotes. For example: When i type /Drink i dont want to make a toast, i just want to drink my fake beverage

For now i cannot think of much else. But these were only meant as a form of example. And example to show how simple immersion can be. (And for those who will point it out I am not talking in terms of coding.)

(Please excuse the post after a post. I know among forums it is something of a "No, no")

I just wanted to point out, to those who will of course ask what i want in regards to roleplay. I simply want to point out how small the things are that make roleplaying a little more immersive. Some of my points were made on another post on this thread (Page 29, i think)

1. Stools and chairs you can sit on without the dreadful Sit emote.

2. Drinks i can buy in bars as a social item rather than "pretending".

3. Change some of the emotes. For example: When i type /Drink i dont want to make a toast, i just want to drink my fake beverage

For now i cannot think of much else. But these were only meant as a form of example. And example to show how simple immersion can be. (And for those who will point it out I am not talking in terms of coding.)

I'm not an RPer, never have been, but I fully support your list of changes. Even though I may never do anything with you in-game, I value every player, and if it's important to you, I feel it's important to US, as a community.

The main problem i see (Other than the ones i mentioned above) Is that they seem to be catering for a specific type of player. Now, thats all good. Its great they want to please the guys who enjoy warzones and similar. But the main reason I, and others, joined this game in the first place was because i was promised the SW universe. Not a clone of half the other MMO's out there. I was promised a world i could live. I am a hardcore (please excuse the term) roleplayer. And yes, there is a relatively good level of RP in game. Not because of Bioware content, but because of great roleplayers who play. Where is the universe. All i see is a blank and frankly lifeless universe, if you are a roleplayer looking for immersion that is.

I'm not a PVP guy or much of PVE guy (Unless RP requires either at a point) But, i do respect those who are into that. Yes, Bioware must cater for those people, but please dont put one group above the other, which is how it seems to me right now.

In fact... You know how it seems? It seems to me that you are catering for those to come. The F2P people. So tell me; What am i paying for again???

I do wish to thank those out there that HAVE made my roleplay experience a pleasent one. There are many of you. Some of us have only had brief encounters.

The idea that the announced content is for f2pers is honestly just silly. Operations are not accessible to f2pers, warzones have limited access to f2pers, Makeb is a 50+ planet which will take a good deal of time for f2pers to access, if they even can, etc. etc. Yes, its likely that a good deal of resources are going to f2p right now, but the PvE and PvP content that people have been asking for since 1.2 is not included in that.

1.3 saw a not insubstantial step forward for sandbox style content. All synthweaving/armormech schematics can become oranges, vastly expanding the amount of costumes widely available. However, RP&sandbox are not the main focus of the game. Its a themepark MMO, and has quite clearly been so since well before launch.

I'm curious about why you say that you were promised a world that you could live in. Could you provide some sort've source which has Bioware talking about that topic?

Finally, if you want changing NPC environments, you'll probably need a better comp. Not too long ago Bioware finally implemented their dynamic NPC code, and the way it works is a check is run against the computer to see whether it can handle it without creating lag. Now these NPCs aren't clickable or possible to interact with, but they're a non static environment that changes a few times per day.

I must apologise, I had no idea they would not be available to F2P. In which case it was ignorant of me to comment on that.

As for the rest. I'll be honest, the part about Living in a world was badly worded for one. But When i was keeping a track of the games development through its website. It seemed to promise much i could see in the way of RP possiibilities. It was indeed a personal viewpoint. Perhaps i was wrong.

There are NPCs, changing environments, and the like in the world i can interact with admiitedly. I did not claim otherwise. If it seemed that way i, once again, apologise. But the changes i am talking about are less about NPC's and more about enviromental factors, such as chairs consoles. whatever you will. Thats all. Yes there ARE chairs in-game that can be used (Mostly on ships) I am talking of cantina furniture, that sort of thing.

Edited by FreePrometheus

I simpy say... we'll be lucky if this game survives at all after F2P, less than half a year it will all go down hill with "what a surprise" no new content.... and I dont mean WZ's FP's becaus to me thats not new content... just a minor inconvenience. plus people want good content and more added to the apparent "rich story" BW go on so much about not somthing else to grind because theer nothing else to do, expecially for those people who dont do them...

I say... close down SWTOR and bring the servers etc back up for SWG's, yes it went crappy at the end but it had a good set of years in its place and people had fun and at times it was hard and took time to get the character you wanted to build.. but thats was the fun part of it, with swtor within 4 days you can be at 50 and boringly grinding away to boredom...

EDIt: just like to add Vandicus your bantg on teh money, also what ever happend to guild ships they annoounced way back in 1.2 was it? yet another "coming soon" item of BW

Edited by dacentabaal

Where are chat bubbles?

Where is pazaak?

Where is swoop racing?

Where is a true free-roam space aspect?

Where are the community aspects that bring people together, and give players a sense of control over their galaxy?

These are the things I'd like to see that would truly motivate to log on.

All these things and much more lie buried with SWG. :( All we can hope for is an updated version of it someday! :)

I have only one question after seeing this initial post and then reading and skimming 23 pages of replies:

Does Bioware ever respond to posts, answer their subscribers, or set hard dates?

The only thing that keeps me subscribed at this point is that this is Star Wars. If it weren't for that, I'd be gone and never look back except with fond memories for a great game that just couldn't deliver on promises.

I was about to ask the same thing. Weird that in The Big Soon To Be Released announcement thread there aren't any posts or replies from staff. :rak_02:

I like your point, really the only content being created is more of the same.

We'll get more Operations, Warzones, and some Flashpoints.

No effort on simple, yet, immersive things like pazaak. The worlds really are stuck cycling 1 time of the day, pure laziness and excuses prevented them from at least doing day/night cycles to help immersion but nooooooo.

Truthfully, the story has been the best part of the game, and lower level PvP(Expertise ruins every thing) we "might" see more story content like the incoming Makeb once a year from hear on out but nothing is guaranteed. If they don't start changing things up within the next few months, I may only sub when they get new story content out. For now, though, I'm taking a break.

New playable race...meh....not all that impressive especially since I will not be deleting a single one of my high lvl toons just so I can be a Cat person... I mean really 8 character slots per server?? really?? If you are going to shut down so many servers the least you can do is add more slots the servers still available, and I dont mean 1 or 2 extra slots either. IMO having 15slots per server is what is needed (unless they decide to finally make Legacy account wide and not server based).

New story content would be nice but Im not going to hold my breath. I've been playing this game since beta and have enjoyed it thus far, however some of the same issues since launch still havent been fixed. Evade mob buggs, animation glitches, and my new favorite one is when youre in a WZ and queued in GF you dont get your WZ comms at the end of the match. Thats awesome stuff BW!!!

BW needs to listen to what the community is asking for if they want to keep this game going. I think the only thing they've given us as a community that was asked for is Guild Banks and Tauntaun pets....(im sure Im forgetting several but really...)

I dont mean to QQ but I honestly feel as a paying customer I've been let down over and over and over again, and if some of these existing and new issues arent fixed or addressed soon (not BW's version of "soon" either) I will not be renewing my sub at the end of the 3month cycle.

• 7 months later...
You reported someone necroing a post STARTED by a dev? Dev posts are there for a reason. They are immportant. Especially since they do not post often.

The thread may have been started by dev, but over a half year ago, so the report is valid

As to the necro poster - cather have many different "sub races", which can look vastly different, from these very cat-like creatures to those called "Juhani-type" (after a cathar companion in KOTOR). Also, all cathars that you meet in game look much more closer to the "Juhani-type", or maybe somewhere between it and these more feline-like variations

If you haven’t heard the news already, there are many exciting new developments coming up for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, new Operations, new Warzones, new custom items, and new ways to play the game. Plus, Game Updates will be coming more frequently.

Watch Now

Good to see most of what they stated was coming has come, though most of what has been delivered has been pretty meh and updates still feel quite slow, with many focused on next to nothing other than a new Cartel Pack launch.

Maybe it's time for a new trailer.

One where you show a bunch of people standing around opening CM boxes like its Christmas, only to pull back and see the vast majority start QQ'ing about getting only Jawagrams or other such garbage, then focusing in on one very excited person exclaiming they can finally buy that hoverchair, only to be deflated when their buddy points to the stack of 1000s of empty CM boxes they had to open to reach the required rep.

Edited by DawnAskham

Good to see most of what they stated was coming has come, though most of what has been delivered has been pretty meh and updates still feel quite slow, with many focused on next to nothing other than a new Cartel Pack launch.

One where you show a bunch of people standing around opening CM boxes like its Christmas, only to pull back and see the vast majority start QQ'ing about getting only Jawagrams or other such garbage, then focusing in on one very excited person exclaiming they can finally buy that hoverchair, only to be deflated when their buddy points to the stack of 1000s of empty CM boxes they had to open to reach the required rep.

lololololol

Reported for Idiotic Necroing

Oh no :( Just received the email.

"Dear Customer, due to your Necrotic Idiocy, we have had to disable your account until further notice. We take posting in an older thread as a very serious breach of our rules, we have taken several Devs away from bringing the community new content to deal with your transgression. I hope you realize how much trouble you have caused the community and the game at large. You have been warned.

The devs"

Edited by adamqd

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for this one haha