Augment slot on all gear 1.3

Kosef

With all the hype about augment slot kits, I bet in the end it will turn out to only work on crafted items and not on looted/rewarded items (making it yet another joke), lol.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As one of those players who has a char running around in bikini costume,since i ws able to get it from the social vendor,as far as i can tell I will NOT be able to augment it.:-(

I have crafted both types of lightsabers and have gotten augment slots on them,it took about 5-6 tries each to get one. what the Devs are doing is a bit of a double fakeoff, yes they will offer A slots,but make them either hard to get ,so we are all out runing around farming for supplies, we dont notice the other problems with the game.I have a friend who in another game spent over a month to get the items needed to enhance one of his weapons, he took the items to a crafter,and failed the crafting roll,which not only used the items also destroyed the weapon he wanted to enhance. really hope this game is not going to that point.

Interview with two of the devs on 1.3's crew skill changes just went up.

http://inquisitorsroadhouse.com/2012/05/16/patch-1-3-crew-skills-changes-qa-with-swtor-systems-designers-david-hunt-and-patrick-malott/

There are two costs to add an augment slot: credits and an Augmentation Kit. The current cost progression starts at 4,500 credits and ends at 50,000 credits, while the kits come in the same MKs that match the types of slots you can add to an item.

Kits are acquired through three crew skills: Armstech, Armormech and Synthweaving. There is no difference in the kits they make, and they can find the recipes on the trainer. In order to create a kit, you need 10 Augmentation Slot Components of the appropriate MK. You receive one component whenever you Reverse Engineer a piece of crafted gear. Note that this is a non-random addition on top of the other returns you already get from RE, meaning that every 10 consumed items will reliably give you the components for one kit. This helps counteract bad luck dealing with randomness and crafting crits, as you’re guaranteed to be able to get the primary limiting component for an augment slot after 10 crafts. Note that since you get the component for the level of the item you’re making, you don’t need to try to craft the expensive purple 10 times. Just make one, then if you don’t crit you can make cheaper items to get the components necessary to create an augment kit.

Veeery interesting, thx for the linky :D

Well, I can certainly see the price of resources on the GTN rising substantially post 1.3...

Augment kits will probably be in abundant supply, seeing as you have to make and RE 10 belts (of the appropriate tier) to get enough for components for 1 kit. I imagine orange shells with a crit-crafted augment slot won't sell for much more than the cost of a kit + shell + augment table fee...

But the good news is that it may put augmented orange gear in reach of lower level players, due to the tiering. The augment-slotted orange L11 gear will now only be useful to a high level player if they spend the additional augment table upgrade fee.

-"Our goal with the modification system has always been to allow players to use any gear they choose and have it function at maximum statistical efficiency."

-"For items made after 1.3, the crit augment slot matches the level of the item. That means that lower level items won’t get as much inherent value from crits as higher level items."

-"Q: So, that means if I craft a level 39 custom piece and it crits, its augment slot will only be able to accept augments up to whatever tier corresponds with that item level?"

-"Correct"

Am I missing something here? So much for any gear having maximum statistical efficiency.

-"Our goal with the modification system has always been to allow players to use any gear they choose and have it function at maximum statistical efficiency."

-"For items made after 1.3, the crit augment slot matches the level of the item. That means that lower level items won’t get as much inherent value from crits as higher level items."

-"Q: So, that means if I craft a level 39 custom piece and it crits, its augment slot will only be able to accept augments up to whatever tier corresponds with that item level?"

-"Correct"

Am I missing something here? So much for any gear having maximum statistical efficiency.

Probably. It only means that lvl 20 item will come with lvl20 aug slot in case of crit. In order to insert lvl50 augment you'll have to crit lvl50 piece, or use lvl50 augment kit to make slot in lvl 20 item. So crit on lvl50 item is worth more, and crit on lvl 20 item is quite worthless for lvl50 char.

They will probably make it ridiculously expensive, like everything else. They need to start by massively reducing the cost of modding (and capping it), or by making it free at mod stations. Most people just aren't bothering because once you get rakata+gear it's just to expensive and not worth it. The market for aug gear has already pretty much dried up :/ Edited by NasherUK

With all the hype about augment slot kits, I bet in the end it will turn out to only work on crafted items and not on looted/rewarded items (making it yet another joke), lol.

Don't even joke about that. Seriosuly, don't.

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head honestly. I suspect if you use such a thing on an orange piece of gear (low level with a lower augmentation kit), it will limit the mods and enhancements you can put in it, or perhaps just the level of the augment.

Anyway, people have to remember that the game is balanced for people not having augments, so Bioware has two choices. They can either rebalance with the assumption that everyone has augment slots (easy to do if you just nerf stat benefits per point by a fixed percentage), or they can retain the expensive nature of getting augments in certain slots.

In my opinion they already did this, when 1.2 hit, Augmented Orange was a hot ticket item......and notice how the augments went from having just 1 Primary stat to a lowered amount of that stat plus endurance? The balance was right there, they knew augments would be a long term and widespread gear goal for all players, thus they lowered the amount of the primary stat (Strength, Willpower, Power, Crit, Endurance) by 10 for all augments and added the 11 endurance.

They could design it so that for example, the process of adding an augment slot to a lightsaber requires an augment kit that only artificers can make.

^^ this

That would make complete sense, but I'm reading here that kits can be acquired only through Armstech, Armormech and Synthweaving. Why? Doesn't that give a huge advantage to those? I mean, everyone will be after augment kits so the idea that you can make an augment kit only for the type of gear producible by your craft skill makes much more sense.

In this interview they say, that any 49+ crit crafted item comes with a MK-6 slot ("Augmentation Slot MK-6 49+"), but the level 49 augments need a MK-7 slot. So apparently you need a MK-7 augment kit in ANY case. That would make crit crafting completely useless...

They will probably make it ridiculously expensive, like everything else. They need to start by massively reducing the cost of modding (and capping it), or by making it free at mod stations. Most people just aren't bothering because once you get rakata+gear it's just to expensive and not worth it. The market for aug gear has already pretty much dried up :/

I think they did say in one of those articles that (currently) the price for adding a lvl 50 augment slot is 50k. I believe they also said in the same article that they were, in fact, reducing the cost of extracting mods.

Can these augment kits be used on ANY item, or are they restricted to player-crafted items ?

Any item.

Will all grades of crafted items (green, blue and purple) yield augment kit components when RE'ed ?

Yes.

Great to see that the augment kits are level-tiered. Will that be tiers 1 to 6 (similar to the crew skill level tiers) ?

Similar progression to crafting.

I assume the components from RE will also be level-tiered ? So we'll get "Augment Material 1" from RE'ing L10-16 crafted items (e.g. belts and bracers), and "Augment Material 2" from RE'ing L17-25 items, etc. ?

Yes.

When you say that the drop rate is not random, and "currently it's set to 10", does that mean we get the same amount of augment components, regardless of which item is RE'ed ? So you can RE either 10 bracers or 10 chest pieces and still only have enough components to make 1 augment kit ?

Yes. This is how the RE system functions in this scenario. There's a chance we may explore something scaled by different item types in the future, but it is not currently possible for the augment component.

This is the one I really want some more information on. Exactly how does the tier system work?

1. You can apply any augment kit to any equippable green+ item. (ie: not junk loot)
  2. When you view any augment, the tooltip will say what level of augment slot it requires.
  3. As long as the item you want to put the augment in has that level of slot or greater, then you can apply the augment.
  4. All other modding rules are followed (such as passing requirements down to the original item).

So for your level 10 item, if you know you will use it until 50, then you should apply the highest level kit and replace the augment as you level. If you use a lower tier kit and reach a point where you want to place augments higher than the kit originally used on the item, you will need to upgrade the augment slot using a new kit.

Does this adequately cover the questions about how the tiers function?

But how much will it cost credits wise?

4.5k-50k depending on tier.

Which items/slots will these augment kits work for ?

All items. Head/chest/legs/hands/feet/waist/wrist/implant/earpiece/mainhand/offhand/relic/droid slots. And if I missed something, that too :D

It's 44k per enhancement/mod/armoring to pull out ilvl 61s. That's 132k per piece. Moving all my stuff to crit crafted variants was very expensive.

~31k/93k in 1.3. In terms of static credits for this case, it costs a little bit more to extract + augment in 1.3 than it does to just extract in 1.2.

So, lets talk specifics. Lets say, I've made the orange, lev 400 blaster - Two Finger's Revenge. It took me some durasteel / zal alloy, along with 10 blue mats from lev 49-50 missions, and 3 lev 7 exotic crafting mats - biometric cell.

Of course, it was not critical hit, so no augments. To get the augment slot, I need to RE 10 items. But, the question is, any lev 400 armstech weapon be sufficient, or do I need to craft 10x orange lev 400 weapons, to get an augment hit.

If it's the latter case, then the crafting system will be pointless, becasue, if I make 10 orange blasters, there is a nice change, especially with armstech crit companion, that I'll get augmented weapon before I get an augment.

You need to craft 10x equippable items from any skill in the same augment tier. In this case, that means any level 400 armstech weapon should suffice. In future tiers, it may be difficult to find cheap recipes. With the introduction of augment tables, all existing level 49+ gear is in the MK-6 augment category. At some point we'll introduce new augments levels that require MK-7, and at that time there probably won't be as large of a selection of items to RE to get them. As we introduce more items and tiers, the density of items you can RE to get MK-7 will increase, and MK-8 will eventually appear and continue along that cadence.

As one of those players who has a char running around in bikini costume,since i ws able to get it from the social vendor,as far as i can tell I will NOT be able to augment it.:-(

This is not correct. You will be able to augment it. This specific outfit is also set to adaptive weight in 1.3.

-"Correct"

Augment slots can be upgraded. It's substantially more valuable to crit a level 50 crafted orange because it gets the high tier augment, and you're spending the higher tier materials on that item. Crit crafting lower level items does not provide as much of a bonus, because you'll want to upgrade the slot if you use it at higher level. It's also cheap to create the lower level items.

In my opinion they already did this, when 1.2 hit, Augmented Orange was a hot ticket item......and notice how the augments went from having just 1 Primary stat to a lowered amount of that stat plus endurance? The balance was right there, they knew augments would be a long term and widespread gear goal for all players, thus they lowered the amount of the primary stat (Strength, Willpower, Power, Crit, Endurance) by 10 for all augments and added the 11 endurance.

Augment stat distribution was indeed changed with the long-term expectation of gradually making them part of your expected power level.

In this interview they say, that any 49+ crit crafted item comes with a MK-6 slot ("Augmentation Slot MK-6 49+"), but the level 49 augments need a MK-7 slot. So apparently you need a MK-7 augment kit in ANY case. That would make crit crafting completely useless...

Sorry for the confusion - this is a timing issue. When I responded to the first questions in the interview, augments went up to MK-7 and that was included in the screenshot. By the time the follow-up was complete augments had changed to end at MK-6, and thus that's reflected in the table. I didn't notice until after the interview was live, so the screenshot is dated. Augments range from MK-1 to MK-6, the 22 augments require MK-6, and the highest crafted items get an MK-6 augment slot.

I think they did say in one of those articles that (currently) the price for adding a lvl 50 augment slot is 50k. I believe they also said in the same article that they were, in fact, reducing the cost of extracting mods.

Although it can be derived from one of my answers above: the reduction to extraction costs is 30%. Extraction and augment costs will be continue to be evaluated based on the economic data we get from 1.3.

Augment slots can be upgraded. It's substantially more valuable to crit a level 50 crafted orange because it gets the high tier augment, and you're spending the higher tier materials on that item. Crit crafting lower level items does not provide as much of a bonus, because you'll want to upgrade the slot if you use it at higher level. It's also cheap to create the lower level items.

What will happen with old gear? What will happen with augments already in old give if all lowbie gear get's changed to not be able to hold them?

I know I spent too many credits on augmented gear without consideration to lv, but to appearance. I'm wondering if I'm gonna pay for it.

Just wanted to say thank you for the awesome answers :D

I believe I speak for almost everyone when I say that this type of response is greatly appreciated, and we would like to see even more of it going forward, especially on hot-button issues such as Server Transfers, as soon as y'all know enough to be able to give the info out.

Thanks! :rak_03:

What happens to my current augmented gear? Will it all break because it is now too low level to accept lv49 augments??

Your gear will have MK-6 slots. Here's how it works.

Existing augments will update to require a specific augment slot MK#. Any augmented item will have the greater of these two applied:

1) The crafted item's natural augment MK

2) The inserted augment's required MK

If you have level 10 items with level 50 augments, they will have MK-6 augment slots. If you have the same item without an augment inserted, it will have a MK-1 augment slot (same as if you crafted it after the patch).

What happens to my current augmented gear? Will it all break because it is now too low level to accept lv49 augments??

This. Also will I have to re-install an augment kit on any of the organges I crit pre 1.3? For example, I wear augmented nylite robes at 50. They are lower level, because frankly, your higher level robe armor is hideous. I'll now need to put in higher end augment kit?

This basically kills crit synthweaving, robes at least. No one wants the upper level robes, with spikes, tubes and 5 feet of shoulder pad blade sticking out. The simple black and red robes of lower levels were pretty much the only sellers... perhaps if you opened up the oranges to many of the skins already in game in green/companion gear we might have a place at least making base oranges you cant get elsewhere.

After this, it looks like we're just augment makers, and churning out trash belts/bracers to grind into kits (since the system doesn't weight what you grind into augment kits).

Edited by NermalDetonator

4.5k-50k depending on tier.
A 50000 credit credit sink for the highest tier sounds a tad too expensive, especially for casual players that don't want to spend their limited online time grinding credits and instead do something fun instead. How much will getting an augment slot for a piece of cool appearance gear cost in the end? 50000 credits + cost of the kit + cost of the augment? That's may be well over 200000 credits per item on many servers. Considering many players struggle to even have that amount of credits, it seems way overpriced.

Currently, it's even hard for the casual player to keep up with repair and mod removal costs, let alone spend credits on anything else. I suggest you seriously reconsider and don't add another huge, unfun credit sink that punishes the casual player.

In my opinion, there is no need for an additional credit sink to apply an augment slot. The cost of the crafted items required should cover it perfectly fine.

Existing augments will update to require a specific augment slot MK#. Any augmented item will have the greater of these two applied:

If you have level 10 items with level 50 augments, they will have MK-6 augment slots. If you have the same item without an augment inserted, it will have a MK-1 augment slot (same as if you crafted it after the patch).

That's just stupid. The already augmented items should convert to a MK-6 slot, no matter if they have an augment in them or what tier it is. Many players have spend huge amounts of credits to get an augmented orange item (which are mostly low level, because they tend to look the best and most Star-Warsy) and now they will have to add another 50k + cost of an augment kit + cost of an augment on top of that? Stupid move, which once again, punishes the more casual players without huge amounts of credits.

It's a pity that Bioware always seems to cater only to the most hardcore players and leave the large part of the player base that are more casual standing in the rain.

Edited by Glzmo

So, you are saying that we should go ahead and put the highest level augments in *right now* so when the patch hits they will all be max level already?

I ask because I use a very low level piece of gear on my Jedi Sentinel (low level orange with augment slot) with the purple augment and the mods from my Battlemaster chest because it is one of the few pieces of gear I have found that look like something a Jedi Sentinel would wear.