Top Marauders Don't Use Marauder Gear, BioWare, Time for a Change

Reek

Current Reality: the vast majority of top level PvP Marauders are using the mods from Vindicator (Juggernaut heavy armor) gear for the 10% extra damage after a charge.

BioWare, that should indicate to you that it's time to make some adjustments to the bonuses in the Marauder set.

Actually the reality of the situation is a well geared top level PvP Marauder hardly uses any mods at all from the Marauder gear. Mostly we use mods/armorings from Vindicator pieces and enhancements from Force Mystic gloves. That kinda sucks for those of us who grinded out the Marauder gear and now we have to grind out a full set of Battlemaster Vindicator gear and then War Hero Vindicator gear plus several pieces of Battlemaster Force Mystic gloves and then War Hero Force Mystic gloves.

Lol what's wrong you don't want to grind it out because you're late to the party? So what! Do you realize how much modding goes on with gear in PvP? I like this setup. Those willing to do a little checking around can benefit from their tweaks. Like my PT is using non PvP shells for a bonus to RS.

Lol what's wrong you don't want to grind it out because you're late to the party?

Um, no? I have a Warlord Marauder and 3 War Heroes. Grinding is nothing to me. The problem is that Marauder gear SHOULD be the best gear for Marauders. I'm not sure why that wasn't clear from my post. When you look at the Marauder gear of the top Marauders, very little, if any, is actually Marauder gear. That should indicate to BioWare that they have failed to give us proper set bonuses.

Um, no? I have a Warlord Marauder and 3 War Heroes. Grinding is nothing to me. The problem is that Marauder gear SHOULD be the best gear for Marauders. I'm not sure why that wasn't clear from my post. When you look at the Marauder gear of the top Marauders, very little, if any, is actually Marauder gear. That should indicate to BioWare that they have failed to give us proper set bonuses.

Assassins wear four piece force-mystic tionese or columni armor while using battlemaster armorings to get the four set bonus that gives them more force. (takes them from 100 force to 150 force)

DPS Operatives wear two piece Tionese Operative gear because of the 2 piece set bonus.

Sorcs wear two piece Tionese as well for shorter CD innervates. You'll find most classes have a better alternative to the pvp set bonus'

Assassins wear four piece force-mystic tionese or columni armor while using battlemaster armorings to get the four set bonus that gives them more force. (takes them from 100 force to 150 force)

DPS Operatives wear two piece Tionese Operative gear because of the 2 piece set bonus.

Sorcs wear two piece Tionese as well for shorter CD innervates. You'll find most classes have a better alternative to the pvp set bonus'

^ this.

The way they optimized the gear is so bad

pretty sure this was done with intent that way the best gear isnt the cookie cutter mold. ppl who put the time and effort into looking around and doing a bit of research end up being much better off than the avg "warhero"

I think this is true...

But yeah I wish they would make it so it was easier to mod all your gear the best possible it can be instead of grinding it out.

And we do need the same pvp set bonus as far as 4pc goes but we need a useful 2 set!!! Give us the mara 4 set and the dps jugg 4 set!!!!

pretty sure this was done with intent that way the best gear isnt the cookie cutter mold. ppl who put the time and effort into looking around and doing a bit of research end up being much better off than the avg "warhero"

I really don't think I'd give BioWare that much credit. Personally I think they just didn't really know what they were doing.

The problem is that Marauder gear SHOULD be the best gear for Marauders. I'm not sure why that wasn't clear from my post.

Why should it be the best gear for Marauders? those should only act as a guideline and from there you go playing around with gears and so on.

No offense, but you really have no argument here at all, and even if you try building an argument for this topic it will only appear very childish to expect everything to be catered and served directly by the developers.

No offense, but you really have no argument here at all, and even if you try building an argument for this topic it will only appear very childish to expect everything to be catered and served directly by the developers.

Yes you're totally right. It's absolutely ridiculous to expect Marauders to be wearing Marauder gear. Rather, every new Marauder should know, somehow, that it's actually Juggernaut and Sorcerer gear that they should be grinding.

I don't expect everything to be served up on a plate to us from the devs. But I truly don't think the developers know how poorly optimized their gear is. And yes, it's for all classes, but Mara is my main so I figured that's where I'd start (and I don't think they really read anything in the PvP forum).. Does BioWare really know that their Marauders are all using Juggernaut gear? These are the people who thought riding circles around Ilum collecting boxes was a good idea for end-game PvP gear, so I am not going to make the assumption that they already know the information I presented in this topic.

Edited by Reek

Not too concerned about it, although I'm guess I'm lucky that I learned about the vindicator swap before I hit 50 on my mara. I planned on using the custom gear outfit I had settled on when leveling anyway, so I'm only suffering through getting my recruit gear replaced for now.

What I don't understand is why the 4-piece set bonus is tied to the shell for BM and to the armor mod for WH.

Not too concerned about it, although I'm guess I'm lucky that I learned about the vindicator swap before I hit 50 on my mara. I planned on using the custom gear outfit I had settled on when leveling anyway, so I'm only suffering through getting my recruit gear replaced for now.

What I don't understand is why the 4-piece set bonus is tied to the shell for BM and to the armor mod for WH.

Because originally it was tied to the piece of armor and I don't think they expected to be doing this.

Yes you're totally right. It's absolutely ridiculous to expect Marauders to be wearing Marauder gear. Rather, every new Marauder should know, somehow, that it's actually Juggernaut and Sorcerer gear that they should be grinding.

I don't expect everything to be served up on a plate to us from the devs. But I truly don't think the developers know how poorly optimized their gear is. And yes, it's for all classes, but Mara is my main so I figured that's where I'd start (and I don't think they really read anything in the PvP forum).. Does BioWare really know that their Marauders are all using Juggernaut gear? These are the people who thought riding circles around Ilum collecting boxes was a good idea for end-game PvP gear, so I am not going to make the assumption that they already know the information I presented in this topic.

New marauder? grinding warhero? ebay much?

New marauder? grinding warhero? ebay much?

That's just a weird accusation right there.

Do you really not understand my opinion that Marauders should be in Marauder gear instead of Jug/Sorc gear? I mean it makes perfect sense to me, I don't understand why so few of you apparently get it. Should I draw a picture? Would that make it easier to understand?

For the record, no, I'm not ebay. Been playing the game for over a year now since beta.

Edited by Reek

You ignored or probably just forgot to quote the most insightful part of my post.

Why should it be the best gear for Marauders? those should only act as a guideline and from there you go playing around with gears and so on.

It is no where stated that the Purchasable Marauder PVP gear is the best gear for Marauders. with that being said I for one would loose interest in a game if I knew from the get go that the best EQ could be bought from the NPC right under everyone's nose.

As I stated in my quote the Marauder PVP gear should act only as a guideline, those gears should be one of the target gears for new players, that should keep them motivated and get an idea of what to target, and as they level (and max out) and log in more game time they will be knowledgeable enough about the game to start exploring best gear options on their own.

I know the gaming community has changed over the decade, but i did not expect it to become this one dimensional. I am very disappointed that SWTOR already has labeled PVE gear and PVP gear separately. but this is a topic entirely for a separate debate/thread.

Edited by JahXIII

That's just a weird accusation right there.

Do you really not understand my opinion that Marauders should be in Marauder gear instead of Jug/Sorc gear? I mean it makes perfect sense to me, I don't understand why so few of you apparently get it. Should I draw a picture? Would that make it easier to understand?

For the record, no, I'm not ebay. Been playing the game for over a year now since beta.

To be fair...

You can get all the Mod slots you need from marauders head pieces.

The better armorings come from the jugg sets.

and our best Enhancements comr from the sorc gloves.

seriously can we just get a Class vendor that sells the piece of armor with only the ARMORING in it and all the other items they regularly sell then get a vendor that holds all the Mods and Enhancements so it's easier for EVERYONE to BIS their gear for pvp.

To the people actually defending poorly itemized gear and supporting specific classes having to do extra grinding to steal mods/enhancements from other classes gear to be competitive..

You're Dumb.

No, really. I've been playing MMOs for a looong time, and I've always been one of those mathcraft/theorycrafter types, so I knew about this quite a while ago, but seriously, 99% of the population is not going to go around to every set bonus and check to see if maybe its so much better than their own that they should get it instead. That's just stupid. The best that can be said about how Bioware itemized the Marauder set is that they didn't put any god awful alacrity on it.

If they did this on purpose to force us to grind more and keep playing longer, then they should at lesat allow us to purchase specific mods/enhancements at a reduced price, rather than having to buy entire pieces of the set.

But I really think that the people claiming Bioware did this on purpose are just giving them far too much credit. Even in WoW, Blizzard devs really have no idea what will be best for each class, and you can tell because at the beginning of each expansion, the itemization on the first tier of that xpacs sets / pvp gear is all over the place. As players figure out what the stat prioritizations are, THEN blizzard corrects it in later patches. I really feel that we should be able to purchase mods/enhancements, lets say 500 wz/ 500 rwz comms per mod/enhance, 1000 of each per armoring. That would at least let smart players pick the correct itemization.

But I really think that the people claiming Bioware did this on purpose are just giving them far too much credit.

BioWare have even made a post or two admitting to the fact that itemization in both PvE and PvP sets was done incorrectly. They screwed up, but apparently they'll be more careful in the future.

Edited by JamieM

As a new level 49 marauder, it would be nice if there were someplace I could go and actually look up information on the process once I hit 50.

1) take the token, not the recruit gear

2) take the 3500 ranked warzone comms and 2000 warzone comms I have and buy X, X, and X.

3) use the rest of the recruit money to buy x, x, and x.

4) ......

5) .....

etcetera

As a new level 49 marauder, it would be nice if there were someplace I could go and actually look up information on the process once I hit 50.

1) take the token, not the recruit gear

2) take the 3500 ranked warzone comms and 2000 warzone comms I have and buy X, X, and X.

3) use the rest of the recruit money to buy x, x, and x.

4) ......

5) .....

etcetera

Oh really? Well if you looked at all the posts on the first page you'd see this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=525404

Lol OK, this seems pretty important so imma just jump in here and be that noob asking for a quick protip:

I'll be turning 50 very shortly with approx 2500 RWZ comms and 2K WZ comms.

What should be my first pvp purchases, or alternatively, what sets/pieces should I be aiming for first?

Pvping as Anni.

Lol OK, this seems pretty important so imma just jump in here and be that noob asking for a quick protip:

I'll be turning 50 very shortly with approx 2500 RWZ comms and 2K WZ comms.

What should be my first pvp purchases, or alternatively, what sets/pieces should I be aiming for first?

Pvping as Anni.

You should get the Warhero mainhand first and foremost. Next, you would want to pick up some +surge/+crit to get around the 30%/75% (buffed) mark.