Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

Hi everyone,

I know it’s been a while since we’ve updated this thread, and I wanted to let you know that we haven’t forgotten about our Oceanic players. Now that we’re at a more stable point in time (post Free-to-Play transition and post holidays), we wanted to re-examine this issue. We’re going to be completely honest with you: there doesn’t seem to be an easy solution for anyone. We’ve seen many ideas from you folks such as merging all three servers into one, allowing for transfers to North America servers, and even not doing anything at all, but none of them seem to be an ideal solution for all. This is why we are now opening up this dialogue with you.

In this thread, please let us know what you think the best solution will be for your servers. I know there have been many suggestions already, but I would like to collect the most current ideas for us to consider. After that, our team will review and discuss what is feasible and what makes the most sense to do. Please remember to follow all forum rules and be respectful of each other’s ideas, even if you disagree with it.

Thank you all, and we look forward to your ideas.

The only server with a real population problem is master darnala. The server suffers during the day due to not having the americans present, but overall, its not too bad.

The ideal solution in my opinion would be to do away with server types altogether, one big happy server, and perhaps make the pvp flag a setting you choose at character creation. A hardcore option if you like. Players that were on the pvp server are set to be pvp flagged permanently wtihout an option of turning it off. As for pve players, they can still toggle their flag as desired, because, coming from a pvp server, we can handle a little ganking. I actually emplore them, if they can beat us, then good on em.

I dont think this method would cause too much of a change to existing code. The flag already exists, its just a matter of making it set like it currently does on a pvp server, but mixed with the pve setting.

Edited by Yndras

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The option I want is the what Antiskeptic is proposing I believe he has it right on what most players will do.

First a forced merge of all 3 servers into an oceanic super server. Then a month after offer a 2 week window for transfers to US PvP or RP servers for those who are completely unhappy with the new arrangement. This will give the best chance for the communities to stay together and those who hate it completely can just leave.

And again I'll reiterate don't offer transfer to random servers as people will take them and it won't solve the population issues for the remaining players in Oceania. Trying to keep these communities together for the most part is best for all.

Edited by brrr
clarity

The option I'm batting for, merge all 3 servers. This will Solve population issues at least until paid transfer service (Or whatever is planned later down the track) where people whom are asking for transfers to American servers can do so. (I'm obviously not 100% sure, but I feel like they would be the minority of people who want SOMETHING done.) I also think that merging the servers into a PVE server and people experiencing the larger population that all 3 would bring may reduce the number of people wanting transfer to American server (Obviously you'll never really satisfy everyone though.) I do think that keeping an APAC server open will entice future APAC players to join the game and I know many players who will leave the game if the APAC servers are closed.

I agree with this idea of anti's as i believe it would meet the needs of the majority of the player base.

I would go for a merge of all 3 servers and at the same time offer free transfers to oceanic players on US servers to the new server, then after a couple of weeks allow free transfers to US servers for those that are truely not happy. This will stop the knee jerk reaction to transfer but will let ppl transfer once they have given the new server a chance. Edited by ChuangTzu

Ok thinking outside the box. How about getting the new f2p player to come to oceanic server only. A few of the people I know on the Us servers are saying population's are getting to big . If BW make it possible for new F2P players only could go to us it may help

The option I'm batting for, merge all 3 servers. This will Solve population issues at least until paid transfer service (Or whatever is planned later down the track) where people whom are asking for transfers to American servers can do so. (I'm obviously not 100% sure, but I feel like they would be the minority of people who want SOMETHING done.) I also think that merging the servers into a PVE server and people experiencing the larger population that all 3 would bring may reduce the number of people wanting transfer to American server (Obviously you'll never really satisfy everyone though.) I do think that keeping an APAC server open will entice future APAC players to join the game and I know many players who will leave the game if the APAC servers are closed.

Edit: I should also add I think opening up transfers to just anywhere before this issue is resolved will not fix the population issues but only serve to make the population issues even worse than they are.

This. Merge to a super server.

When transfers become available as a paid norm then those that wish to can.

The option I want is the what Antiskeptic is proposing I believe he has it right on what most players will do.

First a forced merge of all 3 servers into an oceanic super server. Then a month after offer a 2 week window for transfers to US PvP or RP servers for those who are completely unhappy with the new arrangement. This will give the best chance for the communities to stay together and those who hate it completely can just leave.

And again I'll reiterate don't offer transfer to random servers as people will take them and it won't solve the population issues for the remaining players in Oceania. Trying to keep these communities together for the most part is best for all.

This is truly the best option, in my opinion only of course.

Server: Master Dar’Nala (PVP)

Solution:

• Merge Server to Dalborra (PVE)

Lol ok. To save repeated suggestions How about if we ask... Does anyone vote against this server merge? Knowing that there will also be transfers this year(as stated by bioware). Add extra suggestions onto your answer

Also chippy can you edit your first post with a short summary of the top suggestions

Edited by Obirayy

Simplest and most cost effective solution would be just to allow transfers to lower population US servers.

Reasons why:

- because the transfer system already does exist.

- once the oceanic servers are shut down you don't have to pay for them.

Although merging does have its advantages as most guilds can be kept intact. However this means your still paying for the cost of the oceanic servers.

At a personal choice I would prefer the merging of the oceanic servers I am just stating the alternative in a cogent argument.

Edited by Horusrage
Adjusted

Simplest and most cost effective solution would be just to allow transfers to lower population US servers.

Reasons why:

- because the transfer system already does exist.

- once the oceanic servers are shut down you don't have to pay for them.

Can we please stop posting this, any option that involves losing my latency is the wrong option.

Merge 3 servers into 1 (or 2).

It seems pretty clear that this is the #1 requested solution. :)

This would be by far the easiest and best solution, then as stated b4 those that arent happy have option to move later when optional/paid transfers open up

Merge 3 servers into 1!

This is probably the only way it is going to work .....

Name changes are going to come up again. So everyone should be ready for that.

If they let these three servers have a choice to merge with existing ones, there is going to be a much bigger storm with name changes.

People on servers already had to change their names twice? now.... imagine if they had these three come there and people had to change names again. ( not saying it is right or wrong, just stating the outcome.)

Now if the APAC community that wants to transfer to us servers, and realize that the name they have will be gone, then that is something different.

This is something Eaware should have taken care of with the original server transfers. Now they are making a whole other mess......again.

This would be by far the easiest and best solution, then as stated b4 those that arent happy have option to move later when optional/paid transfers open up

Well since we didn't cause the problem, 1 free transfer after the merge would seem more appropriate.

But, who knows where this is going.

:(

The option I'm batting for, merge all 3 servers.

Yes this is the option that I'm sure 80% would agree. If people arn't happy give them transfers at the end of the year with the rest of the SWTOR player base. Being merged into one server will satisfy most players and bring people back playing on the american servers and who have unsubbed. I'm sure it will keep the people that want to leave to a US server busy enough till transfers are implemented.

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD DISCUSSED AT A ADULT LEVEL, WRITE A SHORT PARAGRAPH WHAT OPTION YOU WANT AND A REASON WHY NO NEED FOR HATE WE WANT BIOWARE TO KEEP TALKING

Well since we didn't cause the problem, 1 free transfer after the merge would seem more appropriate.

But, who knows where this is going.

:(

For everything that has gone on.. and what you guys have been dealing with, I think more then one is applicable.

Three should be sufficient. That way you can try different servers.

Three should be sufficient. That way you can try different servers.

you know we have 3 servers right or is that about something else ?

Not meaning to troll just saying i didn't understand your post.

EDIT: your talking about transfers LOL not server my mistake

Edited by ZIMMOZMAN

I haven't read every post in this huge thread but what I'd like to see, in case it hasn't been suggested yet, is for free (manual) transfers from US servers onto APAC servers to be offered again for a limited time (like Bioware offered when the APAC servers initially launched) - I know a lot of Oceanic players that either missed the original transfer window or didn't want to transfer at the time for whatever reason (and so are still playing on US servers) that would LOVE another opportunity to move to the APAC servers.

They can offer that for 2/3/4 weeks to see if that helps to bolster the populations (a little) on the APAC servers - after that we can still look at server merges if populations still aren't to a comfortable level.

The only other solution that wouldn't involve players losing their character names (which some have had since launch) is to market the game more in the Oceanic region in order to simply get more players playing the game on the APAC servers...