Mouseover Healing

Malicity

I want my healing UI to be like old, turn based RPGs. I want to search through various menus to find the spell I want and then I want to scroll through a list of players until I reach whom I want to heal and then I would like for the healing to commence...eventually. Anyone who wants a more sophisticated way to heal is a bad player. Forsake your advanced healing methods and embrace the past! As a matter of fact, do away with absorbs, HoTs, and AoE heals; real men heal with the standard "heal".

Ah, so well put, hilarious that people are actually against mouseover targeting.

The User Interface, by its very definition, is supposed to help people translate their thoughts into in-game actions. You cannot call any UI function a 'crutch' because all it is doing is translating your thoughts into in-game actions and everybody has access to them so it's an even playing field. Any 'skill' that can be attributed to a player is measured by their ability to think and react under pressure in response to encounter mechanics, not by which group targeting method they use.

Fact: without mouseover targeting healing is clunky at best and generally a less enjoyable experience, it's no wonder there are healer shortages.

There is no rational reason to not have mouseover targeting, in fact, the game is annoying for most players without it, gaming is supposed to be fun and entertaining... not annoying.

Edited by Kallti

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, so well put, hilarious that people are actually against mouseover targeting.

Fact: without mouseover targeting healing is clunky at best and generally a less enjoyable experience, it's no wonder there are healer shortages.

There is no rational reason to not have mouseover targeting, in fact, the game is annoying for most players without it, gaming is supposed to be fun and entertaining... not annoying.

Fact is not that people against it, its'just that some (not very little) players do not use and need it. I know many healers that never got away from "click-cast"(and I'm with them). It does not mean "we" are any better than "you", it just means we make it differently. If they make movers - nice, yet saying that all the healers demand it and that lack of healers is just because we dont have mousovers is not correct, imo.

Improvments in UI would still be welcome - like more clear and ajustable buffs\debuffs reading and HoT tracking. Those tiny squares in a LOWER part of the screen above bars are really bad. Or mb there is some way to show them somewhere esle and\or make bigger?

More facts: You cannot perform two moves faster than you can perform one move.

Only if we can get a confirmation box before every cast.

The confirmation box can only be clicked after you enter your authenticator code. Better yet, I want a progress bar for the "uploading" of heals and the "downloading" of heals and I want my cursor to turn into an hourglass. I literally want to hear a 56k modem in the background when I cast a heal.

Next patch I want them to make it where I write each person a letter stating that I am healing them and if someone doesn't send me a thank you letter I will refuse to heal them...man, those stamps are going to get expensive. Then, my friends, we will be in healing nirvana.

I know a poster above me said the anti-mouse over people weren't saying they were better and that may be the case for that one poster but look at the 20 previous pages.

True enough, I wouldn't object to an idea I had for WoW-- charge a ludicrous amount of money for a second spec only able to be activated in a Warfront. I like not having dual spec, though, because with dual spec you get 10 times the tanks and healer but 90% of them have no clue what they're doing.

Hyperbole is not helping your case here.

Making up numbers is not helpful.

More facts: You cannot perform two moves faster than you can perform one move.

Which is why you preform the first action, targetting the player you want to heal, usually the tank, well in advance. While for some people this may feel like all you're doing is sitting around watching health bars, what exactly are you doing while you're waiting to click a player portrait to automatically heal them? .....Standing around watching health bars.

You can't really say people that got used to these mouseover healing mods (yes, mods. It's not a core feature of any MMO I've ever played, and it's not a core feature of WoW, either. It's a mod) Are more active, either. If they're specced for healing they aren't going to be running around doing damage then suddenly BAM, mouseover healing!

Back when I was still a healer (now I'm much too jaded to care :p) I anticipated who was going to be damaged and got ready to heal. The way I'm seeing it this mouseover healing business is more reactive while the way it is now is proactive, and honestly? I think it takes more work to sit there moving your mouse over the person to click them over and over and over than it is to just target them and press a button.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not fighting against it. I'm just trying to point out that the "traditional healing takes more time and ends up with team wipes!" thing is completely false. Yes, it takes "more" time, which is why in your spare time when you aren't doing anything (which a lot of healers do, btw. They sit there doing nothing while waiting for HP to drop) target the person to get ready to heal. You're then in just as good of a position as people who use mouseover healing.

I guess you could argue in a heated battle where EVERYTHING is taking damage this is less optimal, but eh, if everyone in the party is taking so much damage at once that you can't take the extra half second to target them then something is wrong, IMO

Which is why you preform the first action, targetting the player you want to heal, usually the tank, well in advance. While for some people this may feel like all you're doing is sitting around watching health bars, what exactly are you doing while you're waiting to click a player portrait to automatically heal them? .....Standing around watching health bars.

Mouseover healing is not "automatically" healing them. While I'm waiting on them to take damage, I'm doing DPS on the boss. When it comes time to heal them, I'm not scrambling around trying to remember what F key they are assigned to. I simply click one of my additional mouse buttons, which have my heal abilities mapped to them.

There is no magic involved. No automation. I didn't push a button and some amount of logic was automatically done in the background. I simply moved my mouse pointer over their nameplate and clicked the mouse button that is bound to that heal spell.

You can't really say people that got used to these mouseover healing mods (yes, mods. It's not a core feature of any MMO I've ever played, and it's not a core feature of WoW, either. It's a mod) Are more active, either. If they're specced for healing they aren't going to be running around doing damage then suddenly BAM, mouseover healing!

Rift implemented mouseover targeting directly.

WoW added it in Wrath.

You no longer have to use mods to do it - though in WoW I did use Clique just because it was more convenient to setup than the default.

Back when I was still a healer (now I'm much too jaded to care :p) I anticipated who was going to be damaged and got ready to heal. The way I'm seeing it this mouseover healing business is more reactive while the way it is now is proactive, and honestly? I think it takes more work to sit there moving your mouse over the person to click them over and over and over than it is to just target them and press a button.

Go heal a 16 man operation and then tell me it takes more time to target them with the mouse.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not fighting against it. I'm just trying to point out that the "traditional healing takes more time and ends up with team wipes!" thing is completely false. Yes, it takes "more" time, which is why in your spare time when you aren't doing anything (which a lot of healers do, btw. They sit there doing nothing while waiting for HP to drop) target the person to get ready to heal. You're then in just as good of a position as people who use mouseover healing.

In my spare time, I'm contributing to making the boss dead.

I guess you could argue in a heated battle where EVERYTHING is taking damage this is less optimal, but eh, if everyone in the party is taking so much damage at once that you can't take the extra half second to target them then something is wrong, IMO

Depends on how much AoE damage is being tossed around. AoE pulse damage is a pain to heal in a raid without mouseover targeting.

The bottom line:

Mouse-over healing is faster than click-to-cast healing. It always has been, and always will be. Clicking is not more of a challenge, it doesn't add depth or complexity, and the fundamentals of healing are exactly the same-- all it is is slower and more awkward. If you feel like you're a pro because you don't use mouse-over healing, all you're doing is gimping your raid.

Mouse-over healing frees up loads of potential hot keys for other abilities, which in turn makes your CC's, interrupts, snares, etc more easily accessible again benefiting your raid group.

Mouse-over healing allows you to DPS more freely as a healer than you would otherwise. If a tank is taking significant damage, you're not going to deselect him/her to target the boss. It just won't happen.

If you disagree, you're either A: Playing Devil's Advocate just because or B: You've never used mouse-over healing before.

Some of the responses make me lol.

If they decide to add macros of any sort to the game it's only up to the player whether he or she wants to use them.

Also I can't think of any reason not to add Dual Specc. It makes life so much more efficient for a player being able to play with the right specc in PvP/PvE. Just ask

The key word is Efficient not easier or easy mode, like some people like to think.

You can't really say people that got used to these mouseover healing mods (yes, mods. It's not a core feature of any MMO I've ever played, and it's not a core feature of WoW, either. It's a mod) Are more active, either. If they're specced for healing they aren't going to be running around doing damage then suddenly BAM, mouseover healing

I'm at work in my iPhone, so responding to this is difficult. Firstly, in intense fights your triage target will oftentimes change multiple times a second (I'm assuming. I'm not end game yet but I have TONS of MMo healing experience. FFXI, EQ2, AO, Lineage 2, WoW, DAoC and countless F2Ps) Who needs the heal the most (balanced against how important the player is) will change. It happens. That's what makes healing fun. It's the split second decisions that make it engaging and challenging. With UI improvements, this is able to be pushed farther. Games with with sophisticated UIs allow for a higher level of decision making.

I started WoW a few months after release and at that time they had mouseover macros. They had addons that were just easier to use versions of macro and they had macros you could program yourself. I'm not sure what you meant by core feature but mouseover macros were in there from the beginning or soon after. So you're wrong there.

Also, ABC. Always be casting. I don't know how you play but as a healer, I'm always doing something. I will be interrupting, CCing, watching for adds, DPSing (if resources allow). I like to be the best that I can be. Sitting around watching bars may get the job done but I want content that is based around everyone being all they an be not content stiffed by UI constraints.

EDIT: Holy crap perfect analogy. The healing system in this game is like trying to make posts on a iPhone. It takes triple the time to do something half as well. If you don't think so try posting on an iPhone. Ugh, it sucks!

Edited by Jahoota

Fact is not that people against it, its'just that some (not very little) players do not use and need it. I know many healers that never got away from "click-cast"(and I'm with them). It does not mean "we" are any better than "you", it just means we make it differently. If they make movers - nice, yet saying that all the healers demand it and that lack of healers is just because we dont have mousovers is not correct, imo.

If you're not against it then stop posting in this thread. There is no point to your post whatsoever. I didn't say all healers use it, I just happen to know a lot who aren't healing or find healing awkward/clunky because it's not implemented. As is pretty obvious by this thread.

Please give the people who want mouseover targeting the option, I don't know why people who don't care if it's added but won't use it feel the need to post in here at all... just to tell us you won't use it? Quite frankly nobody cares and it has nothing to do with the topic.

Bioware, please add mouseover targeting and you will make a lot of customers happy. Simple request.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not fighting against it.

You are fighting against it by distracting this thread. Stop it. The only reason the effectiveness debate started was because people came in saying it was a crutch and we are bad for wanting mouseover targeting. Stop it, it's a stupid argument. Even if you're not making that argument you are just continuing a personal preference discussion which will never end well and make this thread look like one huge argument over who is the better healer instead of what it should be.

Bioware, please give us mouseover targeting, it's a very simple request.

I don't understand how healbot makes healing too easy, it makes me wonder if there is some secret healbot i never knew about. Doesn't it literally just give you a customizable raid frame and save you one click? like instead of clicking once to target then again to use the ability you just hover over the name and click the abiltiy? Is clicking twice what makes the game require skill or thought? am I missing something here?

I don't understand how healbot makes healing too easy, it makes me wonder if there is some secret healbot i never knew about. Doesn't it literally just give you a customizable raid frame and save you one click? like instead of clicking once to target then again to use the ability you just hover over the name and click the abiltiy? Is clicking twice what makes the game require skill or thought? am I missing something here?

No, you're correct. Healbot is simply mouse-over macros made easy. I think it's the name that threw people off, it kind of sounds like it heals for you (even though that's totally false). I was more a Vuhdo fan myself.

As for the opposition, it's mostly devil's advocates and kids who have never used mouse-over healing before, so they don't really understand. There's also the misconception that those of us who are accustomed to mouse-over healing "can't adapt." I chalk it up to a laughably pathetic attempt at elitism.

Edited by RiskyBiz

Seriously? How can people argue about mouseover healing being for bad players? It's just ridiculous. Show me ONE top healer in WoW that didn't use mouseovers? But I guess they were just so bad they HAD to use mouseovers ye? What a bunch of bull.

Here's the thing.. Why on earth should a healer be strained in pvp in comparison to a dps, just because we have twice the amount of buttons to press? Is this skill? Skill for me is knowing how to move, knowing how to use the proper spell in the proper moment and in pvp, anticipating your opponents move. Being an offensive healer is what is FUN. Not being able to doubleclick and just hazzle your way through buttons. My healer is only lvl 22 so far since I started out late and rerolled as well, but I already feel strained and not able to use her to the fullest. In small groups it's really ok, and ofc it's doable in other situations as well, but what about having fun? Healing for me is like dancing, but in Swtor it feels like Ive got two left feet. I played both druid and disc priest in WoW for many many years (and ye, Ive healed without clique or any addons of it's like, until there were better options), although I mainly raided endgame, I LOVED pvp where we could use the full range of spells. Being able to switch between healing, dps'ing, cc'ing and so on, is what makes a healer enjoyable, not just standing there like a ******* throwing a heal on a person that needs it. I'd be happy if there were just mouseovers available through macros as in Rift, but why on earth do we need to go back to stone age just because some people are too proud to admit the benefits of mouseover healing?

Fact is.. Im not gonna keep playing this game unless mouseover healing is implemented in some way (not to mention target of target). There's plenty of games to choose from that are actually up to date with the latest techniques, so why would I torment myself in this game being forced to accept that I can't play a healer to it's fullest as in other games? The only thing Ive ever really enjoyed playing is a healer, but at the moment it is like some others has pointed out, awkward. Id rather go back to Rift or WoW in that case. I belive a lot of people who loves playing a healer just as much as I do feels the same, and it is among the dedicated healers the skill is no matter if you use mouseover or not, because we live and breathe healing. How can the people who oppose mouseover healing argue that loosing so many skilled healers in this game is worth it just to keep mouseover out of the game?

Seriously? How can people argue about mouseover healing being for bad players? It's just ridiculous. Show me ONE top healer in WoW that didn't use mouseovers? But I guess they were just so bad they HAD to use mouseovers ye? What a bunch of bull.

Here's the thing.. Why on earth should a healer be strained in pvp in comparison to a dps, just because we have twice the amount of buttons to press? Is this skill? Skill for me is knowing how to move, knowing how to use the proper spell in the proper moment and in pvp, anticipating your opponents move. Being an offensive healer is what is FUN. Not being able to doubleclick and just hazzle your way through buttons. My healer is only lvl 22 so far since I started out late and rerolled as well, but I already feel strained and not able to use her to the fullest. In small groups it's really ok, and ofc it's doable in other situations as well, but what about having fun? Healing for me is like dancing, but in Swtor it feels like Ive got two left feet. I played both druid and disc priest in WoW for many many years (and ye, Ive healed without clique or any addons of it's like, until there were better options), although I mainly raided endgame, I LOVED pvp where we could use the full range of spells. Being able to switch between healing, dps'ing, cc'ing and so on, is what makes a healer enjoyable, not just standing there like a ******* throwing a heal on a person that needs it. I'd be happy if there were just mouseovers available through macros as in Rift, but why on earth do we need to go back to stone age just because some people are too proud to admit the benefits of mouseover healing

Fact is.. Im not gonna keep playing this game unless mouseover healing is implemented in some way (not to mention target of target). There's plenty of games to choose from that are actually up to date with the latest techniques, so why would I torment myself in this game being forced to accept that I can't play a healer to it's fullest as in other games? The only thing Ive ever really enjoyed playing is a healer, but at the moment it is like some others has

pointed out, awkward. Id rather go back to Rift or WoW in that case. I belive a lot of people who loves playing a healer just as much as I do feels the same, and it is among the dedicated healers the skill is no matter if you use mouseover or not, because we live and breathe healing. How can the people who oppose mouseover healing argue that loosing so many skilled healers in this game is worth it just to keep mouseover out of the game?

Talk about lazy. Quitting a game because you HAVE to click an extra time? Just, wow.

Your name is appropriate.

Actually my name came from WoW. I would take the species, then add zs. So if I was an Orc, it would be Orczs. Nothing to do with trolling. I just believe that the person I quoted originally is lazy.

Actually my name came from WoW. I would take the species, then add zs. So if I was an Orc, it would be Orczs. Nothing to do with trolling. I just believe that the person I quoted originally is lazy.

I stick with it.. Either you are trolling, or just unable to fully understand sentences put togheter.

Either way your name is appropriate. Many of us have a lot more fun healing with mouse-overs, and wanting the option isn't lazy. If you're not a troll then... well, I just feel bad for you.

I stick with it.. Either you are trolling, or just unable to fully understand sentences put togheter.

Coming from you? Your original post was full of incoherent sentences. I never said I am against mouse-over healing. I am totally for it. To quit a game because of mouse-over healing, I believe is just plain lazy. You CAN live without it.

Coming from you? Your original post was full of incoherent sentences. I never said I am against mouse-over healing. I am totally for it. To quit a game because of mouse-over healing, I believe is just plain lazy. You CAN live without it.

Regardless, some people don't have fun playing MMO's unless they're healing, and they don't have fun healing without mouse-over abilities. So is it smarter to continue paying $15/month for something you don't enjoy? Saying it's lazy is saying that click-to-cast is "hard," which many of us find absolutely hilarious in this thread.

Edited by RiskyBiz

Incoherent sentences? Care to elaborate, troll?

Regardless, some people don't have fun playing MMO's unless they're healing, and they don't have fun healing without mouse-over abilities. So is it smarter to continue paying $15/month for something you don't enjoy? Saying it's lazy is saying that click-to-cast is "hard," which many of us find absolutely hilarious in this thread.

I wasn't even talking to you in my last post. I heal. I have been healing since 25 man Naxx back in Vanilla WoW. I find the game enjoyable with our without mouse-over healing. While it may be a want of many, it currently does not exist in this game. Now I'm not judging anyone on what they find fun and what not, but if you say you will quit a game because of something one click can fix, then yes, you are lazy in my eyes. Never said you have to take what o say to heart. I just cannot fathom people find a game unplayable due to mouse-over healing.

Edit: I never said click-to-cast is hard.

Edited by Trollzs

I wasn't even talking to you in my last post. I heal. I have been healing since 25 man Naxx back in Vanilla WoW. I find the game enjoyable with our without mouse-over healing. While it may be a want of many, it currently does not exist in this game. Now I'm not judging anyone on what they find fun and what not, but if you say you will quit a game because of something one click can fix, then yes, you are lazy in my eyes. Never said you have to take what o say to heart. I just cannot fathom people find a game unplayable due to mouse-over healing.

Many, myself included, find the click-to-cast method to be clunky and awkward. Mouse-over healing is a basic fundamental in MMO's, the only thing I cannot fathom is how or why BioWare did not implement mouse-over healing.

Is it possible to heal with click-and-cast? Yes.

Is it fun? No.

Like I said, the bottom line is that if someone isn't having fun then there's no sense in continuing a monthly fee. You say it's "lazy" to demand mouse-over healing. How?? Like I said in an earlier post in this thread, click-then-cast is not adding any depth, challenge, or complexity to healing-- all it's doing it making it more awkward and slowing things down.

Edited by RiskyBiz