Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

I admit I didn't read all 72 pages, but my question is whether a PVE server might have an RP-PVE destination? Or will it be limited to strictly PVE to PVE, RP-PVE to RP-PVE? Thanks!

Its:

pve to pve

pvp to pvp

rppvp to rppvp

rppve to rppve

So, if you play RP-PVP its Dead Server + Barely Standard + Sorta Standard = Medium Standard.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who drank the kool-aid are in the worst shape of all:

Those poor schlubs who followed the game pre-launch, had their guild & character loaded onto an (inherently imbalanced) early-access server, only to have the artificially-low server cap induce queues, then followed BioWare's suggestion to roll on a different server to avoid queues & then rolled lots of alts to take advantage of the Legacy System.

Now they've got a diaspora on their hands, BioWare is doing nothing to help them. BioWare got/guided them into this mess & now they're supposed to just wait until the new round of contractors working on the game (half)implement a fully featured, modern MMO transfer system. For money.

Nailed it.

I admit I didn't read all 72 pages, but my question is whether a PVE server might have an RP-PVE destination? Or will it be limited to strictly PVE to PVE, RP-PVE to RP-PVE? Thanks!

PVE to PVE. RP-PVE to RP-PVE. Joveth confirmed this a few pages back, it is also the newest post on the Dev tracker.

Its:

pve to pve

pvp to pvp

rppvp to rppvp

rppve to rppve

So, if you play RP-PVP its Dead Server + Barely Standard + Sorta Standard = Medium Standard.

I don't believe there are enough rp-pvp servers by region to do many merges. NE USA has two rp-pvp servers. My suggestion is to remove the rp-pvp designation and call them pvp or rp servers. Jung Ma has one of the healthiest server pops but it is nowhere near Fatman even if you add all of Ven Zallow (the other NE RP-PVP server). The goal here is to create more Fatman-busy servers, right?

Right! a Jung Ma + Ven Zallow will only create a Standard overall server, which is not good. I dont get how BW does not see this.

Edited by -Dench

Dear repeat askers,

YES you can transfer your guild. GM's will help you re-create your guild bank so you don't have to re-buy tabs, and you an effectively reform your guild on the new server. No, your members will not be broken up because there is only ONE destination server.

Sincerely,

People who already read this information

That's not a guild transfer, that's individual guild members transferring over one by one, then reforming, then requesting our guild bank be restored. I think guild leaders are just asking for some of the hassle to be removed from this. If we are to be "gently nudged" to destination servers and guilds in their entirety would like to move together, why can't the entire guild just be transferred as a whole? Take some of the responsibility for this off of the players. We've had our hands full trying to keep things together on low pop servers as it is.

Edited by AntTHFD
mispellings

People who drank the kool-aid are in the worst shape of all:

Those poor schlubs who followed the game pre-launch, had their guild & character loaded onto an (inherently imbalanced) early-access server, only to have the artificially-low server cap induce queues, then followed BioWare's suggestion to roll on a different server to avoid queues & then rolled lots of alts to take advantage of the Legacy System.

Now they've got a diaspora on their hands, BioWare is doing nothing to help them. BioWare got/guided them into this mess & now they're supposed to just wait until the new round of contractors working on the game (half)implement a fully featured, modern MMO transfer system. For money.

Indeed.

I drank the pre-launch Kool aid, but I'm glad I snuck out of the cult meeting before rolling on another server.

Edited by cipher_nemo

If you asked BioWare to bring you a package of M&Ms across the room they'd first make you preregister for the candy. Then, they'd open up the bag and make you ask for each of the candies individually. Then, once they'd brought over all the candies you'd actually remembered to ask individually for, you'd write them and they'd send someone to tape the bag back up for you.

http://www.swtor.com/community/devtracker.php

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4565734#edit4565734

"As mentioned in the blog post, we will be maintaining server types. So it will be RP-PvP to RP-PvP. "

So what he's saying here is that transfers are strictly limited by server type. RP-PvE can only go to RP-PvE; PvE can only go to PvE, and so on...

Paige

I agree with a lot of the posts here.

One thing, if i am reiterating i apologize, or the thing that should have been done is .

For a low populated or "origin" server, give them a choice of each type of server, PVE.PVP, RP-PVE, RP-PVP

Only one of each that the folks at BW will determine. So Guilds that wish to change original server type to one of four that BW will determine to be the Destination types.

I mean, they already are going to know by Tuesday right? So give the folks an option.

They, I believe, are doing this wrong. If they can decide which single server to go to, they can just as well add one of each type to the lot since all of those folks already on those server types will be moved to the same server type, according to them. In essence, having already chosen which servers are going to be destination servers.

I hope that makes sense?

Of course they do. That's why this is only THE FIRST PHREAKING PHASE!!

Its not the first Phase..Its the ONLY phase with mentions of them taking our cash for the second phase. Try reading more thoroughly with some english comprehension.

If they had other phases planned they should of bullet pointed some possiblities not saying "we may do this again with a fee involved" which is pretty much exactly what they said.

One thing, if i am reiterating i apologize, or the thing that should have been done is .

For a low populated or "origin" server, give them a choice of each type of server, PVE.PVP, RP-PVE, RP-PVP

Only one of each that the folks at BW will determine. So Guilds that wish to change original server type to one of four that BW will determine to be the Destination types.

I mean, they already are going to know by Tuesday right? So give the folks an option.

They, I believe, are doing this wrong. If they can decide which single server to go to, they can just as well add one of each type to the lot since all of those folks already on those server types will be moved to the same server type, according to them. In essence, having already chosen which servers are going to be destination servers.

I hope that makes sense?

Here here I second this!

I don't believe there are enough rp-pvp servers by region to do many merges. NE USA has two rp-pvp servers. My suggestion is to remove the rp-pvp designation and call them pvp or rp servers. Jung Ma has one of the healthiest server pops but it is nowhere near Fatman even if you add all of Ven Zallow (the other NE RP-PVP server). The goal here is to create more Fatman-busy servers, right?

^This

Its not the first Phase..Its the ONLY phase with mentions of them taking our cash for the second phase. Try reading more thoroughly with some english comprehension.

QFT. In the mean time Rift players get free transfers once a week... and they move your guilds for you!

*looks over at TOR and sighs*

Edited by cipher_nemo

I hope that makes sense?

I think BioWare realizes that some server types are more popular than others (partly based on lacking gameplay), and to prevent a run on the popular server types, they're limiting you to same-type transfers. I can understand this, but it's completely asinine to force players who want (read: deserve) a change--because of where the game is today--to do what BioWare wants them to do. This, in many cases, will only further aggravate players.

All this, so that BioWare (or is it EA at this point?) can conveniently charge them a fee to do it in the future...

QFT. In the mean time Rift players get free transfers once a week... and they move your guilds for you!

*looks over at TOR and sighs*

I have to admit I didn't want to lose faith in the Devs or the Game this way. It is a good product, it is fun to play when the conditions are right. But this is not fixing those conditions. Bioware has destroyed my faith in their ability to handle MMO customers. We are not anonoymous souls that buy their single player games. We're live constant paying customers. There's a big difference in tactics they need to use they have failed several times at this and this is by far the worst. With the only solution to spend more cash and waste more time.

[*]The silent majority is going to be happy with this solution.

^+1 or actually, +84.

My guild is somewhat sizable. As an estimate of the activity of our membership, there have been 102 of our guild characters played in the last 7 days (as of 6/5/2012). There have been 163 played in the last 31 days (as of 6/5/2012). In the meantime, there have been 84 people active on our website in the last 31 days (as of 6/5/2012). We've added 9 people in the last month, many of them as refugees from lower population servers.

When I posted the news on our guild forums, these folks all kinda shrugged and went on with their game. There's been a complete non-reaction to the server transfer news. It seems like folks have a "well, who cares, we'll deal with it when and as it happens - if we have to make some changes, we'll improvise, adapt, and overcome" sort of attitude.

So count me in for 84 folks in the silent majority who are keeping on keepin' on and patiently waiting like adults to deal with challenges as they occur.

Paige

I think BioWare realizes that some server types are more popular than others (partly based on lacking gameplay), and to prevent a run on the popular server types, they're limiting you to same-type transfers. I can understand this, but it's completely asinine to force players who want (read: deserve) a change--because of where the game is today--to do what BioWare wants them to do. This, in many cases, will only further aggravate players.

All this, so that BioWare (or is it EA at this point?) can conveniently charge them a fee to do it in the future...

Aye, It just doesn't make any sense. they are offering the opportunity to move players, but they decide where to move you. It would be, I guess I would call it, a gift, if they also allowed your toon to go to a server type you wished to.

Yeah they will make you pay. But this is the time to get that Customer Service element up in higher standards.

It's bad enough that they can't move guilds along with all the 'accessories" of that guild, but to further limit the potential happiness of their subscriber base? well that is not good football if you ask me.

EDIT_ can't instead of can... whoops!

Edited by Foofie

So I read this in the dev tracker "This is not correct. We'll be providing a list of origin servers and destination servers. Each origin server will have one destination server, and players can elect to transfer their characters from the origin server to the destination. Our goal is to have destination servers with a much higher active player population, so we'll be monitoring the process and adding new origin and destination pairs as necessary to reach that goal.:"

Quite personal this don't sit well for me. When I was in swq and we did server transfers you had a list of destinations to choose from. This is move or die, not to happy with that. I would like the option to what server I move too. Oh well I am sure that is already covered. Waiting to see an faq.

Edited by erictlewis

How many phases do i have to slog through before I am on a Heavy/full server?

Wait, let me guess: the phase that I have to pay for.

Guess all you want. But make sure you also realize that guesses are just...well, guesses. And usually not correct.

i doubt you understand that people want to be able to move they characters that they have being playing for long time

to the server they want.

it BW issue to fix the server population, not the players, and this is not a fix, its another big mistake that will make people unhappy. people was looking for move they toon wherever they want.

also this whole phases thing and this *cap* on transfers everyday made me wonder if they are actually gonna do the transfers manually?

maybe they havent even really finish they transfer tech and will do all manually, its very possible, we talking about BW and they awesome hero engine....

Your post has absolutely nothing to do with mine, but I'm the one that doesn't understand? :confused:

No one said that you won't ever be able to move the characters you want to the servers you want.

If they had other phases planned they should of bullet pointed some possiblities not saying "we may do this again with a fee involved" which is pretty much exactly what they said.

Absolutely incorrect.