So... Whats next? The Future of SWTOR...

LordPaulusCobris

I agree with you, but let's not forget that it was Bioware execs who decided to sell the soul of their company to the devil to make themselves rich - EA didn't force them to sell. And while EA deserves every bit of the bad reputation that it has, game conglomerates like NCSoft are even more malignant and amoral. So it could be worse, but had Bioware not sold out to EA, I think this game would have ultimately been better off for it.

While I agree about NCSoft (p2w and bot infested, buggy unbalanced games)...looking at the state of SWTOR for the last year only...I'd say they are better than EA at properly piloting a MMO as far as content support goes. It is worse than that statement actually...even old and lot less popular MMOs put more content than what we had for 2017 here.

As for Bioware and selling to EA, we are at an agreement here, but there isn't anything left of Bioware, its all EA that decides for this game, so naturally my posts are pointing to them. I also think this game would have been better had EA weren't a part of the picture...but its too late to do anything about that...the only thing we can do is call EA out for their crimes towards the sw fans as a community and this game. Seems a little far-fetched and harsh saying it like that, but what else we can do....be content with scraps we are getting, which turns even more people away. It prolly is futile, because you cant reach generally blind and greedy people, but giving up and go with the flow doesn't seem the right way to me.

Edited by ExarSun

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I for one cannot blame the devs not posting on the forums.

Who wants to be the scapegoat that he says something is planned and when it's axed by the higher powers at EA, they called a liar and more for it?

Better be safe than sorry.

The only person who has talking power with the EA Hutts is Keith, and only he has the authority to say something.

But even that, that should be treated with a grain of salt. Not because of willingness to execute, more like inability, see 5 bosses by the end of year. Well, just don't promise anything, I guess it's better to be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Galahard

While I agree about NCSoft (p2w and bot infested, buggy unbalanced games)...looking at the state of SWTOR for the last year only...I'd say they are better than EA at properly piloting a MMO as far as content support goes. It is worse than that statement actually...even old and lot less popular MMOs put more content than what we had for 2017 here.

EA's problem is that they are only interested in the almighty dollar. They don't make games for the sake of the players, or the art, or the industry in general. Their only purpose is to assimilate smaller companies and to make money - they are like the Borg of the gaming industry. Their greed has led to a lot of bad decisions based on money to the detriment of game development and players, as we all know too well, and the principal reason why they have such a bad reputation.

NCSoft, on the other hand, goes a step further. As greedy as EA can be, they have never resorted to "stealing" an IP. NCSoft did this with a game called "Tabula Rasa". You can Google/Wiki it if you want to read the sordid details, but basically, they liquidated the game designer's (Richard Garriott) stock options while he was in quarantine from space travel with Russian cosmonauts. NCSoft claimed he had quit when in reality, he hadn't, but couldn't refute that because he was in quarantine. The resulting litigation (which Garriott won in the amount of $28 million) forced NCSoft to close the servers, and the players were SoL. Regardless of how much more content NCSoft games might deliver, EA has never pulled a stunt like that to my knowledge.

So yeah, NCSoft is far worse than EA, imo.

Edited by Mournblood

EA has been in control the entire time from launch. If they had, and continue to have an identity of simply seeking dollar bills, and it was truly a problem, people wouldnt have even subbed in the first place. It wasnt, and millions subbed, and found out over 6 years that what they signed up for is exactly what they got. You cant fault EA for sticking to what it knows. To my knowledge, they have never changed course from trying to make money (like any good business does). If anything, appreciate that they have remained consistent with their initial role.

• 3 weeks later...

I got also, fear what happend with BIOWARE itself not only SWTOR, today i read some article about, ANTHEM.

There was how difficult is devolpment, and huge expectations from that game, and how EA press on Bioware to come with game at early 2019 (FALL 2018 isnt possible and never was even when they told on E3 ). So as i read articles, ive noticed few points about future they mentioned also Dragon Age 4 and continue of this series. Also mentioned another great expected game ME:Andromeda and how negative impact had on fanbase and game itself.

But then i coulndt unnoticed.. there was also Topic about future of SW:TOR and ALSO IF STOP DEVELPOMENT THAT GAME OR NOT, and its still in motion, and EA/Bioware didnt make decision yet.. so im realy affraid now, because its true game had lot of problems, F2P , etc but game is awsome.. and now , its possibility that it may be canceled..

They in fact put all into ANTHEM, and there were some talk , if ANTHEM fails as Andromeda did , it could even come to end of Bioware itself, because due Andromeda failure they closed two Bioware studios..

I hope it wont happend.. but .. we know what happend to SW:Galaxies..

Edited by KoptaThommy

I got also, fear what happend with BIOWARE itself not only SWTOR, today i read some article about, ANTHEM.

There was how difficult is devolpment, and huge expectations from that game, and how EA press on Bioware to come with game at early 2019 (FALL 2018 isnt possible and never was even when they told on E3 ). So as i read articles, ive noticed few points about future they mentioned also Dragon Age 4 and continue of this series. Also mentioned another great expected game ME:Andromeda and how negative impact had on fanbase and game itself.

But then i coulndt unnoticed.. there was also Topic about future of SW:TOR and ALSO IF STOP DEVELPOMENT THAT GAME OR NOT, and its still in motion, and EA/Bioware didnt make decision yet.. so im realy affraid now, because its true game had lot of problems, F2P , etc but game is awsome.. and now , its possibility that it may be canceled..

They in fact put all into ANTHEM, and there were some talk , if ANTHEM fails as Andromeda did , it could even come to end of Bioware itself, because due Andromeda failure they closed two Bioware studios..

I hope it wont happend.. but .. we know what happend to SW:Galaxies..

At the very least, it means the bulk of our Bioware Austin team will be tied up until Q1 2019, so we will continue to get the same minuscule level of content that we have been getting in the past for at least another year! This is insanity.

Edited by Holocron