One way to spend Double XP weekend.

JediZang

I figured 2xp would be a good time to sample some of the other classes. My main is an (17) Infiltration Assassin. I enjoy the game play and storyline so far, even if they seem to get a bad rap on the forums.

So far I've sampled Trooper, Warrior, and Agent.

I like the game play on the trooper. The story so far is, ok.

The Warriors storyline is very enjoyable, but the gameplay is unpleasant so far. (Building power for moves)

The Agent gameplay and story so far seems... I don't know, Weird. Lots of people recommended the Adept storyline as the best Sith side, but so far it's blah to me. (shrugs)

My question is this, How do these classes advance? (Both gameplay wise as well as storyline) NO SPOILERS! :p

Also, any suggestions for Guardian, Consular, Smuggler, and Mercenary?

Thanks in advance fellow fans. :rolleyes:

Agent story is considered one of the best out there. Every story gets more interesting as you get to the end, and Agent's one even more. Snipers are good/great DDs, Operatives are good/great at healing. Just pick a class you would enjoy, class that will keep you interested in progressing more. All classes are viable so you won't lose anything, just pick what you enjoy the most. Edited by StrawberryZerg

The Smuggler was my first character, and the only one where I've completed all the first three chapters, and made it to level 50. I haven't purchased RoTHC yet, so 50 is the highest level for me. I think the Smuggler story is very good at the beginning, Chapter 1, and Chapter 3, especially the end of Chapter 3.

I like the Smuggler game play. SWTOR is the first mmorpg I've played, yet the progression in Smuggler abilities made immediate sense to me. Advanced Class: Gunslinger.

I'm in the middle of Chapter 3 for my Trooper. I enjoy playing my Trooper, more so for the Tanking abilities, than the story. The story is good, it just isn't the main reason I play my Trooper. Advanced Class: Vanguard.

My Sith Inquisitor is in the midst of Chapter 2. The story is very interesting, and I'm wondering how it will play out. I like the Sith Inquisitor's abilities (Advanced Class, Sorcerer). She throws lightning. Love it! As a Sorcerer, my game play has been more about learning strategy. Keeping the Tank alive, and not generating so much aggro that the baddies come after my Sorcerer, instead of the Tank companion. I enjoy playing my Sith Sorcerer.

My Jedi Knight just completed Chapter 2. I think the story is okay so far, except the end of Chapter 2. I kept selecting the "I think this is a bad idea" type of conversation options at the end of Chapter 2. Lol! Melee fighting is more difficult for me. I'm still on a steep learning curve when it comes to playing my Jedi Knight. I'll keep practicing, and reading about the class, though! I'm glad I played the Sith Sorcerer first, because doing so gave me perspective on keeping an eye out on my healer companion, and learning to generate aggro when baddies go after my healer, and draw them back to my Jedi Knight. Until my Jedi Knight got a healer companion, the DPS companion took out the majority of baddies because my game playing as a Jedi Knight was just that poor. :D Advanced Class: Guardian.

Edited by Nmyownworld

I play mostly republic - I've played everything on the republic side except for scoundrel and guardian.

In terms of style of play, I love the sage the most. I like ranged dps/heals. The story is pretty decent IMO, but some absolutely hate it. You'll know fairly early on.

I used to really like my vanguard, but now the pyro tree (assault) is not as awesome as it used to be. Tanking is fun sometimes, but it's not my thing all the time. It makes it easier to solo heroics, but it's fairly slow-going. The trooper story is quite good IMO. The commando is not really my style. In theory, it should be somewhat similar to sage (ranged dps), but I actually can't stand the looks of the oversized gun.

Sentinel is really fun for in-your-face dps. Awesome defensive cooldowns later on. The story is quite good.

Gunslinger does awesome damage. The cover mechanic is what really makes it hard for me to enjoy this class. Maybe I would get used to it...not sure. The story is pretty good, although I have not finished it.

Shadow is really fun in pvp. PVE...I don't think it's real good at that. As a tank, I suppose it is OK, but a guardian or vanguard can do just as well if not better IMO. As a dps, you are really squishy. So, I play my shadow exclusively in pvp. I can pretty much win any 1v1 that I initiate. Crazy good burst.

Gunslinger does awesome damage. The cover mechanic is what really makes it hard for me to enjoy this class. Maybe I would get used to it...not sure. The story is pretty good, although I have not finished it.

I agree that Smugglers having to use a cover ability is an adjustment. On Ord Mantell, while leveling my freshly minted Smuggler, I would be searching for cover, while newly minted Troopers did not have to do that. I sometimes lost out on taking down NPCs because while I was searching for cover a Trooper would come up and take down the NPCs I intended to target. I don't think those Trooper players were being rude. They were able to just 1.) point, and 2.) shoot, whereas my Smuggler needed to 1.) select cover spot, 2.) take cover, 3.) point, and 4.) shoot. I would often take too long doing 1.) -- in deciding where to take cover.

By the time I completed the initial Ord Mantell Smuggler missions, having to take cover was second nature, though. When I created a Trooper character, I had to break myself of the habit of "taking cover" before firing. :D

Once I got a feel for how much damage my Smuggler could take, I would sometimes Crouch where ever I was, whether or not there was something to crouch behind, and just take the incoming damage. Because there were a few times when crouching behind cover placed my Smuggler in a bad position (line of sight on only one out of four mobs, too far away, crouching behind particular cover put me in an area that would trigger attacks from other mobs, etc.).

After I got Corso as a companion, I'd send him in to generate aggro, and keep my Smuggler as far away as possible from the mobs, and pick them off one at a time. I'd focus on one mobs, until it was defeated, then pick another one. Usually, Corso drew most of the fire from mobs, and only the one I was currently firing on would be shooting at me.

I was thrilled when my Smuggler was leveled high enough to get Defense Screen. :cool:

After getting the Crouch ability (at level 2, I think), I only used Take Cover to indicate cover if I did not see any. I exclusively used Crouch to get in cover.

Edited by Nmyownworld

Well, I'm 50 legacy and haven't read ANY of the stories so I cannot comment there. Sniper/Operative are probably my 2 favourite classes at 50+. I'm not exactly sure why, they just feel 'right' for me. That being said, Operative is pretty tedious to level with. Lethality spec isn't great for leveling because it's mainly DoT based. Concealment is OK but it basically requires you to use tank companion in order to get behind the target for backstab.

What I love about the smuggler story is that you are immediately given an antagonist you can really dislike, a real reason to get off that rock and make 'em pay.

The really successful BW solo games all do that especially KOTOR.

Don't spread out between several alts. Pick a class that you really like and max it. Otherwise doing the same planetary content and flashpoints with several different characters in a short timeframe really gets stale.

Don't spread out between several alts. Pick a class that you really like and max it. Otherwise doing the same planetary content and flashpoints with several different characters in a short timeframe really gets stale.

I am just breezing through the class content with a group of friends so I can get my final buff so I have the full set of buffs for my main, I am also trying to get an in depth idea of how other classes work so that I can lead OPs more effectively and make the best use of everyone's talents. (my guild doesn't have raid teams, we use an individual clearance system so I need to be able to make decisions on the fly and not have preset routines for each fight)

Smug: Chpt 1 and 2 great. 3 is garbage and so is the ending.

Trooper: Chpt 1 and 2 amazing. Chpt 1 and 2 endings are extremely good. 3 is meh, although the ending is slightly better, but not by much.

BH: Zzzzzzzzzz. Entire Great Hunt arc is boring as hell - not sure if it gets better.

Agent: A lot of characters and much more convoluted than the other stories with a lot more choices. Reportedly has the most endings, but never played past level 30.

All Jedi / Sith: You really have to be into the whole idea of Jedi / Sith to enjoy any of them. I'm not a fan of the force stuff so couldn't say.