Not really a game question but it's still a noob question

JGames

Do the servers REALLY need to go down for a patch? (Just hear me out on this, I don't know too much about MMO's and how to work) It seems to me that all you would really need to do is have them be down for like 30 minutes tops just to upload the patch...

Some games do allow for limited hot fixes. It just depends on the tech and code.

For the most part though, yes it requires the servers to go offline. They install the patch, restart the server, do some QC/QA to ensure it's working properly, then open it up to everyone. They can also do preventative maintenance at that point.

One of the weekly Q&A posts addressed this topic. It was probably about 3 weeks ago.

Edited by Infalliable

Do the servers REALLY need to go down for a patch? (Just hear me out on this, I don't know too much about MMO's and how to work) It seems to me that all you would really need to do is have them be down for like 30 minutes tops just to upload the patch...

There's more to deploying a patch than just uploading it. First, they have to bring the servers down, then place them in a maintenance mode. Once in maintenance mode, they have to install the patch, which could take 30 minutes or more, per server. And this has to be done to every server. Then, once the install of the patch is complete, each server has to be tested to make sure the patch was properly deployed. If all goes well, the servers come back up early. If not (as was the case a couple days ago) maintenance gets extended.

They give themselves extra time for maintenance in case of problems. More often than not, though, the servers are up before the end of the maintenance window.

Ah I see it's clear now. Thanks for the info guys, this will probably help me in the future as I want to be a game designer.

Follow that dream and don't let it go until you make it 'real'. I wish you all the luck in the world and I hope doors open so that becoming a game designer happens for you. Take all that you've learned from the games your playing - what you like and don't like - and remember it...because I hope that someday I can play one of your games!!

Follow that dream and don't let it go until you make it 'real'. I wish you all the luck in the world and I hope doors open so that becoming a game designer happens for you. Take all that you've learned from the games your playing - what you like and don't like - and remember it...because I hope that someday I can play one of your games!!

Thanks for the encouragement man, but unless your young that may not happen lol, I'm only 14. But yes one day you may be playing a game made by me, and some other people of course.