Mandalorians or Sith Empire?

POCTOB

Hypothetical question here, if the Mandalorians broke their agreement with the empire and a war between the two broke out due to tensious relations who would win? Firstly i believe that the Mandalorians would win as they in my opinion have greater leadership which is Mandalore followed by his generals unlike the Sith Empire who have the Sith Emperor who is in slumber and inactive in dealings with his Dark Council which is supposed to be second in command (Though through constant council power plays the council is rendered useless) and so the empire is lost leadership in a time of turmoil. Secondly the mandalorians have no upstart's bidding for power and hence rocking the boat unlike the empire who have Malgus and Baras and countless more sith all tipping for power. Thirdly the Mandalorians do not prejudice against different species allowing them to have higher moral within their troops and an overall higher army whilst the empire doesn't have this precious resource. These are my main points for why the mandalorian's would kick *** but there are many more besides the obvious fact that mandalorians are complete bad ***'s.

I like the Mandalorians more and I'd want to them to win but let's face it, they simply don't have the numbers or resources to win a full-out war against the Empire. I'm sure they could maintain their independence if they broke off with the Empire though, especially if the war with the Republic was still ongoing (in this scenario).

Also, I don't see how tolerance towards different species would affect the effectiveness of their troops unless it came down to raw numbers.

Edited by Blackholeskipper

I like the Mandalorians more and I'd want to them to win but let's face it, they simply don't have the numbers or resources to win a full-out war against the Empire. I'm sure they could maintain their independence if they broke off with the Empire though, especially if the war with the Republic was still ongoing (in this scenario).

Also, I don't see how tolerance towards different species would affect the effectiveness of their troops unless it came down to raw numbers.

Well the tolerance of species would allow different or "lesser species" to advance in military rankings due to their skill whilst if the Mandalorians had low tolerance of different species then only a few worthwhile commanders would advance through skill while the reast would advance through pedigree and the lesser species who could be confident commanders would stay in the core of military hierarchy.

Well the tolerance of species would allow different or "lesser species" to advance in military rankings due to their skill whilst if the Mandalorians had low tolerance of different species then only a few worthwhile commanders would advance through skill while the reast would advance through pedigree and the lesser species who could be confident commanders would stay in the core of military hierarchy.

Yes, but it wouldn't be enough, yes the mandalorians have better troops, and better armour and hand weapons, But they don't have force users, and one force user is worth ten non-force users. The Sith Empire has more troops, better ships, and Sith, some of whom could cut their way through a hundred Mandalorians without breaking a sweat.

Don't let the BH story with it's killing of both Jedi and Sith fool you, that is the story of a unique individual, maybe one in million are ever that good, and maybe one in ten thousand are good enough to go against Jedi/Sith.

In short the Sith Empire would win hands down, there would be some tough battles, but the outcome would never be in doubt (unless the Republic decides to intervenne).

Assuming that this fight happens in a vacuum (Neither side has to worry about the Republic interfering.), the Empire would win, hands down. I like Mandalorians, and all, but it's not even a fight. Firstly, the Mandalorians have no force users to speak of. Now, yes, Mandalorians have killed force users before, but very, very few can claim to have done so in singles combat, even a Sith Apprentice is likely significantly more dangerous then your average Mandalorian Warrior. Secondly, in all likelyhood, the Mandalorians don't have a fraction of the resources, manpower, and R&D capability of the Empire, keep in mind, up untill a few decades ago, they were essentially scattered clans of merceneries.

Now, as for your points against the Empire, many of them are becoming less and less valid, post ROTHC. At least two aliens (I'm going to assume Nox is an Alien, given his story.) have reached seats on the Dark Council, we see a number of alien Sith Lords as the game goes on as well. We also a few aliens Imperial Officers on Makeb. Additionally, if you read the codex entry "Alien Initiatives" on the Empire sides, it notes that Kaleesh Tribes, and Cathar Clans are rising to prominence in the Imperial Military. Like wise, if Hutt Cartel is any indication, Sith infighting is on the decline as of late, and, if the ending is any indication, the Council seems to want to keep it that way.

As for the Emperor, ironically enough, the way he removed himself from the day to day dealings of the Empire, will allow the Dark Council to continue operation of the Empire almost as though nothing had happened. While I haven't cleared the game with every character, so far I've only beaten ROTHC with my Warrior, and the Vanilla game with my Inq, it seems to me that the current incarnation of the Council is very stable, atleast by Sith standards, Mortis, Ravage, Marr, Vowrawn, and Acina don't seem to be playing against each other at the moment. Nox is an unknown, since he's up to player choice, so we can't speak either way for him. Regardless, I don't see where you're getting the idea that the current Sith leadership can't function, Sith Lords, and Moffs have been shown to possess competence in military leadership, although it varies person to person, as it would in any other organization. If you want an example, look no further then Makeb, the Empire managed to conquer the planet, and push off the Republic and Hutt Cartel with a strike force significantly smaller then then the armies of their enemies.

Lastly, whatever Marr has planned for Isotope 5, I doubt the Mandalorians have anything that can stop it.

Edited by LordGarmaZabi

^^ I'm not sure "conquered" is the correct word here.

Darth Marr does suggest that he'll move his forces in order to secure the system but his goal, yet again, was to harvest enough Isotope-5 in order to strengthen the Empire's defenses against the Republic, not to stage an offensive.

As far as we know, according to Under-Moff Bensen, the Empire's presence on Makeb is still to be discreet. A conquest would be the total opposite really, since it would draw the attention of the Republic.

^^ I'm not sure "conquered" is the correct word here.

Darth Marr does suggest that he'll move his forces in order to secure the system but his goal, yet again, was to harvest enough Isotope-5 in order to strengthen the Empire's defenses against the Republic, not to stage an offensive.

As far as we know, according to Under-Moff Bensen, the Empire's presence on Makeb is still to be discreet. A conquest would be the total opposite really, since it would draw the attention of the Republic.

Conquer is defined as taking control of a place by military force, which is what happened. Not quite the most grand way to do so, but it seems that, at the moment, the Empire does control Makeb, albeit in secret. Although I suppose at this point it would just be playing word games.

My memory may be hazy, I haven't done Hutt Cartel in a while, but doesn't Marr say something about retaking lost ground ?

Conquer is defined as taking control of a place by military force, which is what happened. Not quite the most grand way to do so, but it seems that, at the moment, the Empire does control Makeb, albeit in secret. Although I suppose at this point it would just be playing word games.

The issue is that it is heavily implied that Regulator forces on Makeb actually far SURPASS Imperial forces, not to mention that the Republic didn't withdrew completely either.

Also, the imperial space station orbiting Makeb is cloaked, the communications are cut down to a bare minimum and except for the strike team that originally tried to seize the original Isotope-5 stockpiles, there are no actual new forces on the planet, which is why Under-Moff Bensen relies on the pre-existing ones - you included - in order to harvest new Istotope-5 pockets without arousing suspicion.

Take also into account that whatever resources the Empire has available, they are being used to lure the Republic AWAY. Cytharat and Marr both mention this in separate occasions.

Again, doesn't sound like a "conquest" at all to me but rather a black op for the most part. It's not also known if Marr was actually able to secure the System with his forces or not but again, most of the stuff post-end of the storyline implies that the Empire's presence on Makeb is minimal.

My memory may be hazy, I haven't done Hutt Cartel in a while, but doesn't Marr say something about retaking lost ground ?

Not really. He actually says that each gram of Isotope-5 the Empire does manage to procure would be used on the Empire's defenses.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

To use a Mass Effect analogy, it'd be like the Systems Alliance going to war with the Blue Suns. The actual government will probably beat the jumped-up mercenary army.

*claps*

Excellent comparison :D

At least two aliens (I'm going to assume Nox is an Alien, given his story.) have reached seats on the Dark Council, we see a number of alien Sith Lords as the game goes on as well. We also a few aliens Imperial Officers on Makeb. Additionally, if you read the codex entry "Alien Initiatives" on the Empire sides, it notes that Kaleesh Tribes, and Cathar Clans are rising to prominence in the Imperial Military. Like wise, if Hutt Cartel is any indication, Sith infighting is on the decline as of late, and, if the ending is any indication, the Council seems to want to keep it that way.

Two aliens on the Dark Council? Who is the second one other than Darth Nox? Also, I think Darth Nox could just as easily be human. There is nothing in the story to suggest that the she isn't human other than that she's a slave. And there are tons of human slaves. Also, there's no mention of Kallig being an alien (plus his mask would have fit a roughly human shaped face. So definitely not Twi'lek).

That said, Darth Karrid was a Falleen and on the Dark Council but she's not anymore.

But they don't have force users, and one force user is worth ten non-force users. The Sith Empire has more troops, better ships, and Sith, some of whom could cut their way through a hundred Mandalorians without breaking a sweat.

While I won't argue that the average Mandalorian warrior is the equal of a force user, it should be noted that on Dxun the Republic lost ten soliders for every Mandalorian they killed. And they had Jedi as part of the assault. (KOTOR II).

So while force users would outmatch the Mandos, they are far fewer in number and the Mandalorians would dominate the normal troops. That said, they are also far fewer in number than the average trooper...

Also, a hundred mandalorians seems kinda over the top. In the comics and other games like KOTOR I and II the Mandalorians always made dangerous foes for the jedi. They knew how to hunt them in packs so I really doubt any Jdi or Sith, even a Dark Council member could just easily cut through a hundred Mandalorians.

Assuming that this fight happens in a vacuum (Neither side has to worry about the Republic interfering.), the Empire would win, hands down. I like Mandalorians, and all, but it's not even a fight. Firstly, the Mandalorians have no force users to speak of. Now, yes, Mandalorians have killed force users before, but very, very few can claim to have done so in singles combat, even a Sith Apprentice is likely significantly more dangerous then your average Mandalorian Warrior. Secondly, in all likelyhood, the Mandalorians don't have a fraction of the resources, manpower, and R&D capability of the Empire, keep in mind, up untill a few decades ago, they were essentially scattered clans of merceneries.

Now, as for your points against the Empire, many of them are becoming less and less valid, post ROTHC. At least two aliens (I'm going to assume Nox is an Alien, given his story.) have reached seats on the Dark Council, we see a number of alien Sith Lords as the game goes on as well. We also a few aliens Imperial Officers on Makeb. Additionally, if you read the codex entry "Alien Initiatives" on the Empire sides, it notes that Kaleesh Tribes, and Cathar Clans are rising to prominence in the Imperial Military. Like wise, if Hutt Cartel is any indication, Sith infighting is on the decline as of late, and, if the ending is any indication, the Council seems to want to keep it that way.

As for the Emperor, ironically enough, the way he removed himself from the day to day dealings of the Empire, will allow the Dark Council to continue operation of the Empire almost as though nothing had happened. While I haven't cleared the game with every character, so far I've only beaten ROTHC with my Warrior, and the Vanilla game with my Inq, it seems to me that the current incarnation of the Council is very stable, atleast by Sith standards, Mortis, Ravage, Marr, Vowrawn, and Acina don't seem to be playing against each other at the moment. Nox is an unknown, since he's up to player choice, so we can't speak either way for him. Regardless, I don't see where you're getting the idea that the current Sith leadership can't function, Sith Lords, and Moffs have been shown to possess competence in military leadership, although it varies person to person, as it would in any other organization. If you want an example, look no further then Makeb, the Empire managed to conquer the planet, and push off the Republic and Hutt Cartel with a strike force significantly smaller then then the armies of their enemies.

Lastly, whatever Marr has planned for Isotope 5, I doubt the Mandalorians have anything that can stop it.

Yes indeed there are a few aliens that have risen high, but have you ever heard of an alien general in the imperial army? From experience the highest rank ive seen on an alien in the Imperial military is the chiss lieutenant turned major on hoth( presuming you give good feedback about him), even so if their are indeed aliens in the the higher echelons of imperial military their few number and the hostility from other moffs against them would put them in the lowest parts of planning operations. When it comes to he dark council by the end of of SW or SI storyline it seemed like everyone in the council was killing each other and bidding for power (eg: Thanaton,Baras) looking through the IA line Darth Jadus betrayed the Emperor and council while his daughter was punished by her fellow council members(eventually killed if you side with jadus). Just from this it seems like killing's and betrayal in the council are so often it is remarkable how they function.

Yes indeed there are a few aliens that have risen high, but have you ever heard of an alien general in the imperial army? From experience the highest rank ive seen on an alien in the Imperial military is the chiss lieutenant turned major on hoth( presuming you give good feedback about him), even so if their are indeed aliens in the the higher echelons of imperial military their few number and the hostility from other moffs against them would put them in the lowest parts of planning operations. When it comes to he dark council by the end of of SW or SI storyline it seemed like everyone in the council was killing each other and bidding for power (eg: Thanaton,Baras) looking through the IA line Darth Jadus betrayed the Emperor and council while his daughter was punished by her fellow council members(eventually killed if you side with jadus). Just from this it seems like killing's and betrayal in the council are so often it is remarkable how they function.

That's Captain Yudrass and he's actually made Colonel, not Major.

Here's my interpretation of events:

The only reason the Mandalorians did so well against the Republic was because the Jedi refused to involve themselves so they only had to worry about fighting the Republic military. But look what happened when Revan stepped in; it didn't even take the official involvement of the Jedi to beat back Mandalore, just the involvement of a select handful.

If the Mandalorians couldn't beat the Republic aided by a handful of rogue Jedi, how could they possibly hope to stand against an Empire with both a full military force as well as the complete backing of the Sith Order?

Here's my interpretation of events:

The only reason the Mandalorians did so well against the Republic was because the Jedi refused to involve themselves so they only had to worry about fighting the Republic military. But look what happened when Revan stepped in; it didn't even take the official involvement of the Jedi to beat back Mandalore, just the involvement of a select handful.

If the Mandalorians couldn't beat the Republic aided by a handful of rogue Jedi, how could they possibly hope to stand against an Empire with both a full military force as well as the complete backing of the Sith Order?

It wasn't just a handful. If I remember correctly, most of the younger jedi joined Revan in his crusade. Also, it was mainly because of Revan's strategies and willingness to make sacrifices (he would leave whole worlds undefended to reinforce strategically important ones or to lure in the enemy) that they won. As stated in Kotor I & II, Revan won by using the Mandalorian's own ruthless tactics against them, which eventually led him to fall to the dark side (along with all the jedi who followed him, except the Exile).

As Canderous Ordo said:

"It was not your ships or your men or your vaunted 'fight for freedom' that won this, the final battle of the war. It was by the actions of one person–the Jedi Revan–that you prevailed. Revan's strategies and tactics defeated the best of us. Even Mandalore himself was taken aback by the ferocity, the tenacity, and the subtlety of Revan's plans."

There's more here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian_Wars#Republic_counteroffensive

It wasn't just a handful. If I remember correctly, most of the younger jedi joined Revan in his crusade. Also, it was mainly because of Revan's strategies and willingness to make sacrifices (he would leave whole worlds undefended to reinforce strategically important ones or to lure in the enemy) that they won. As stated in Kotor I & II, Revan won by using the Mandalorian's own ruthless tactics against them, which eventually led him to fall to the dark side (along with all the jedi who followed him, except the Exile).

As Canderous Ordo said:

"It was not your ships or your men or your vaunted 'fight for freedom' that won this, the final battle of the war. It was by the actions of one person–the Jedi Revan–that you prevailed. Revan's strategies and tactics defeated the best of us. Even Mandalore himself was taken aback by the ferocity, the tenacity, and the subtlety of Revan's plans."

There's more here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian_Wars#Republic_counteroffensive

So basically Revan won by acting like a Sith. Yeah, good luck to the Mandalorians fighting a whole military led by a bunch of Revans.

Canderous's last line is the crucial bit: "the ferocity, the tenacity, and the subtlety of Revan's plans." Imagine the Mandalorians fighting an entire military and order of Force users whose standard military procedure is nothing but ferocious, merciless underhanded tactics. Between the Imperial military and their hyper-aggressive, "kill everything that isn't us" offense, and the Sith with their dishonorable (by Mandalorian standards) practices of lying, deception, trickery and other tactics, a war against the Empire probably wouldn't last that long.

*claps*

Excellent comparison :D

Two aliens on the Dark Council? Who is the second one other than Darth Nox? Also, I think Darth Nox could just as easily be human. There is nothing in the story to suggest that the she isn't human other than that she's a slave. And there are tons of human slaves. Also, there's no mention of Kallig being an alien (plus his mask would have fit a roughly human shaped face. So definitely not Twi'lek).

That said, Darth Karrid was a Falleen and on the Dark Council but she's not anymore.

While I won't argue that the average Mandalorian warrior is the equal of a force user, it should be noted that on Dxun the Republic lost ten soliders for every Mandalorian they killed. And they had Jedi as part of the assault. (KOTOR II).

So while force users would outmatch the Mandos, they are far fewer in number and the Mandalorians would dominate the normal troops. That said, they are also far fewer in number than the average trooper...

Also, a hundred mandalorians seems kinda over the top. In the comics and other games like KOTOR I and II the Mandalorians alwayst made dangerous foes for the jedi. They knew how to hunt them in packs so I really doubt any Jdi or Sith, even a Dark Council member could just easily cut through a hundred Mandalorians.

I never said concurrently, very probably Nox, and Karrid.

The Republic losses at Dxun were not the result of each Mandalorian being worth 10 Republic troops, it was because the Mandalorians were heavily entrenched in Dxun. Not that it would be a valid comparison anyways. That was over 300 years ago, at the height of Mandalorian power, and influence, the Mandalorians of this era are quite different, likewise, the Empire has totally different training, and weapons for their troopers then the Republic 300 years ago.

As for the aliens, you have a Cathar Major on Makeb, and a few aliens wearing officers uniforms, and Sith Robes on the orbital station. We don't see much of whats going on in the Empire as a whole since the Alien Initiative started, so I'm just going to take the codex's word for it.

So basically Revan won by acting like a Sith. Yeah, good luck to the Mandalorians fighting a whole military led by a bunch of Revans.

Canderous's last line is the crucial bit: "the ferocity, the tenacity, and the subtlety of Revan's plans." Imagine the Mandalorians fighting an entire military and order of Force users whose standard military procedure is nothing but ferocious, merciless underhanded tactics. Between the Imperial military and their hyper-aggressive, "kill everything that isn't us" offense, and the Sith with their dishonorable (by Mandalorian standards) practices of lying, deception, trickery and other tactics, a war against the Empire probably wouldn't last that long.

Well yea, that's why I said the Empire would win in this scenario (see second post on the first page). That said, I think the majority of the Sith we see in the game act more like Malak and less like Revan. It's also stated in the games that Revan was an unmatched genius in all things concerning warfare so I don't think the average imperial commander would act anything like him. They use more brutish tactics, like Malak.

I never said concurrently, very probably Nox, and Karrid.

The Republic losses at Dxun were not the result of each Mandalorian being worth 10 Republic troops, it was because the Mandalorians were heavily entrenched in Dxun. Not that it would be a valid comparison anyways. That was over 300 years ago, at the height of Mandalorian power, and influence, the Mandalorians of this era are quite different, likewise, the Empire has totally different training, and weapons for their troopers then the Republic 300 years ago.

As for the aliens, you have a Cathar Major on Makeb, and a few aliens wearing officers uniforms, and Sith Robes on the orbital station. We don't see much of whats going on in the Empire as a whole since the Alien Initiative started, so I'm just going to take the codex's word for it.

Bao-dur says something very similar. I don't remember the exact quote but it was something about how satisfying it felt to cut down the mandalorians even though they sustained many more casualties in return. That's what the Mandalorains are, elite fighters with equipment not available to the average trooper. Sure, the Mandalorians would lose this fight but they're no pushovers. They'd still give the Empire a hard time.

And yea, the Empire is beginning to be more tolerant to aliens, fair enough.

Well yea, that's why I said the Empire would win in this scenario (see second post on the first page). That said, I think the majority of the Sith we see in the game act more like Malak and less like Revan. It's also stated in the games that Revan was an unmatched genius in all things concerning warfare so I don't think the average imperial commander would act anything like him. They use more brutish tactics, like Malak.

It probably varies a lot from person to person, to be honest. Some Sith would prefer more direct action, meeting an enemy face to face, blade upon blade, whilst others prefer to be more subtle, using stealth, espionage, and assassination.

The issue is that it is heavily implied that Regulator forces on Makeb actually far SURPASS Imperial forces, not to mention that the Republic didn't withdrew completely either.

Also, the imperial space station orbiting Makeb is cloaked, the communications are cut down to a bare minimum and except for the strike team that originally tried to seize the original Isotope-5 stockpiles, there are no actual new forces on the planet, which is why Under-Moff Bensen relies on the pre-existing ones - you included - in order to harvest new Istotope-5 pockets without arousing suspicion.

Take also into account that whatever resources the Empire has available, they are being used to lure the Republic AWAY. Cytharat and Marr both mention this in separate occasions.

Again, doesn't sound like a "conquest" at all to me but rather a black op for the most part. It's not also known if Marr was actually able to secure the System with his forces or not but again, most of the stuff post-end of the storyline implies that the Empire's presence on Makeb is minimal.

Not really. He actually says that each gram of Isotope-5 the Empire does manage to procure would be used on the Empire's defenses.

I guess I had misunderstood the story line, like I said, it's been a while. I figured after weaponizing the tremors, it was just a matter of making sure the remaining Regulators didn't bring any attention back to Makeb, and making the Republic believe that the planet was still, since they could easily take it if they knew the truth. Regardless, taking the Isotope 5 against such odds is still an impressive feat.

It probably varies a lot from person to person, to be honest. Some Sith would prefer more direct action, meeting an enemy face to face, blade upon blade, whilst others prefer to be more subtle, using stealth, espionage, and assassination.

Sure, I'm not saying they would all act like Malak. But their ruthlessness doesn't make them the equal of Revan. He was supposed to be the most brilliant tactician in the galaxy at the time of Mandalorian Wars and the Jedi Civil War. We haven't seen his equal in this era yet.

^^^

Oh, don't get me wrong, the Mandalorians are great warriors, no doubt about it, and very likely better then the average Imperial or Republic trooper, I'm just saying, being worth 10 to 1 is a little....excessive.

Ya know, I actually miss how Revan was portrayed in KOTOR 1, as a stong force user with a knack for tactics, and charisma to boot, rather then being some sort of space messiah.

Well yea, I guess 10 to 1 does seem a bit excessive. Still, I imagine they would have had to take much lower casualties to even make the war possible in the first place. After all, they were attacking a foe with a MUCH larger population and industrial capacity.

Maybe 10 to 1 would be more possible in a strategic sense? As in through superior tactics and better fighters, not just a straight fight. They also had cool stuff like Basilisk war droids (and each warrior is fully covered in armor). Plus the Mandalorians weren't above nuking planets (like Serocco). The Empire likely wouldn't be able to hit a such a large concentration of them since they're nomadic and very mobile (well, maybe with the Silencer?).

And yea, the KOTOR games were very different. Personally I don't feel like they're the same setting. I just play TOR as TOR and don't make too many connections with the old games.

It wasn't just a handful. If I remember correctly, most of the younger jedi joined Revan in his crusade.

Not quite most, somewhere between half and a third of the younger Jedi, which is why those jedi falling was so catastrophic, they lost nearly half of their future masters, who then turned on them, nearly wiping them out.

Well yea, I guess 10 to 1 does seem a bit excessive. Still, I imagine they would have had to take much lower casualties to even make the war possible in the first place. After all, they were attacking a foe with a MUCH larger population and industrial capacity.

Maybe 10 to 1 would be more possible in a strategic sense? As in through superior tactics and better fighters, not just a straight fight.

That's how I meant it (since I was the one to use the 10 to 1 figure first), it's overall not per fight, the variables are impossible to list, surprise, training, individual characteristics, but overall one sith would equate ten Mandaloreans. Some like Darth Marr could cut through thousands without even noticing (like him not suggesting him per say), others would fail to cut down even one. Plus the Sith are used to ordering troopers around, and pick up a surprising array of tactics (eventually, those that survive). And Sith assassins are at least the equal with ambushes and stealth, which could mean they would set up some very nasty traps.

Of course, the Mandaloreans would be doing very similar things, and they are among the best tacticians in the galaxy. But they really lack the numbers to stand even a chance, they wouldn't even have the numbers of the rebel alliance from the original trilogy (they have about a quarter of the numbers but better training I reckon).