Powertech Tank or dps?

Tybring

I just rolled a powertech but i dont know which spec to go with

Im currently lvl 14 and playing tank, but i keep hearing that the dmg is really bad

I dont wanna go for a pure tank build either but i like the jet charge ability

How is the mobility in AP spec and is it worth respeccing?

AP has potential, but the flamethrower (main damage ability of the AP) has some major PvP disadvantages. The damage output is consistently lower than pyro as well (including PvE). However, the mobility buff is kinda cool... It doesn't make up for the disadvantages (IMO) but it has its charms.

Personally, I would go with pyro for DPS.

I have PT tank and the dps really is not bad at all. Also your tanking abilities are epic and the class is just a blast. PvP wise you will be very hard to kill! I was at level 28 and was able to take on a shadow and scoundrel at the same time and killed them both. You wont be the top dps but you wont be far away either and you are much harder to kill. That being said pyro is not a bad choice either, but i prefer tanking.

I actually went shieldspec from the very beginning. Yes, you don't kill things all that quickly (though quickly enough), and with Mako handy, it means you probably can solo almost any champion you meet without worry, as well as get yourself into all sorts of trouble and get out of it. (And it's halfway decent in pvp too, if you're the type that wants to try to keep your healers alive, though it's bloody well dependent on if you have a good group or not and... anyways...)

Powertechs are a pretty nice class. Now as for those poor sods, the mercenaries...

Now as for those poor sods, the mercenaries...

My Merc routinely (sometimes on accident even) gets himself into situations he should die in (which invariably gets an appropriate "Try to be more careful" from Mako) and leaves a smoking greasy mess behind him. But - PvP I hear IS different, I don't know as I don't care for it. But speaking from a PvE perspective - Merc does just fine, especially if Mortar Barrage isn't on cooldown. Things tend to die rather quickly, and apparently painfully, then.

Hello there!

I have a vanguard and powertech (same thing just mirror classes) and I actually think that tanking is very fun as well as dps. I always have stayed tanking mostly due to the fact you get the ability "Jet charge" in the tanking tree. This is my spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRGozRbRGZMsMMoZb.2

Hope it helps!

Edited by TrumpetNut

• 11 months later...

Simple question.

Tank. BIO (since 2.0) forces Players into the Tank tree (PT Players) . AP just lost it s purpose , as a guy before me said FT being your main Dmg ability (AP spec) , you got a huge disadvantage in PvP due to the 'Low mobility' , while you cast FT you can take HUGE amount of INC DMG while your dmg is simply 'medium' .( Smash monkeys > 8 to 10k + smash dmg , 40% of your Health down with 1 hit , while your targets Health is still at 80% + .)

Pyro , looks still viable , due to the better mobility from main dmg ability (RS) , it's still nothing compared to any OTHER DPS TREE .

Oh yea , I hope ppl stop complain about 'OPs Nerf' , roll a PT and you'll go bck to OP in no time .

I love this class and always will , don't take my wrong . It's still a great class , but the Tank tree is the most viable from all 3 trees . I hope BIO starts listen to 'us' players and stop acting like they 'know' anything , because all they're doing is losing more and more ppl .

Cheers ;)

Edited by ahzecklawd

Simple question.

Tank. BIO (since 2.0) forces Players into the Tank tree (PT Players) . AP just lost it s purpose , as a guy before me said FT being your main Dmg ability (AP spec) , you got a huge disadvantage in PvP due to the 'Low mobility' , while you cast FT you can take HUGE amount of INC DMG while your dmg is simply 'medium' .( Smash monkeys > 8 to 10k + smash dmg , 40% of your Health down with 1 hit , while your targets Health is still at 80% + .)

Pyro , looks still viable , due to the better mobility from main dmg ability (RS) , it's still nothing compared to any OTHER DPS TREE .

Oh yea , I hope ppl stop complain about 'OPs Nerf' , roll a PT and you'll go bck to OP in no time .

I love this class and always will , don't take my wrong . It's still a great class , but the Tank tree is the most viable from all 3 trees . I hope BIO starts listen to 'us' players and stop acting like they 'know' anything , because all they're doing is losing more and more ppl .

Cheers ;)

Wait, what?

8k-10k smashes? Er, no. AP is super strong right now in PVP, especially since you have 30% damage reduction to ALL AoE's, not to mention the additional 30% damage reduction to everything when stunned. Yes, FT is clunky to use in PVP, thus making it a situational move rather than your bread and butter like in PVE. Pyro is also in a solid spot right now, offering good burst and easy-to-apply DoT's.

In no way is OP DPS in a better spot...OP DPS is terribad right now and needs so much TLC it isn't even funny.

Wait, what?

8k-10k smashes? Er, no. AP is super strong right now in PVP, especially since you have 30% damage reduction to ALL AoE's, not to mention the additional 30% damage reduction to everything when stunned. Yes, FT is clunky to use in PVP, thus making it a situational move rather than your bread and butter like in PVE. Pyro is also in a solid spot right now, offering good burst and easy-to-apply DoT's.

In no way is OP DPS in a better spot...OP DPS is terribad right now and needs so much TLC it isn't even funny.

Can't take your 'reply' serious, due to the 'lack of experience' . 8-10k , means nothing for a 'decent' geared SM , that's the MIN dmg from Smash . OP due to the 'DoTs' can easily take out targets (I guess , you RQed OP , since you got no idea what you're saying) . I can easily put out a good amount of DPS on my OP , starter about 6 to 7 k crit , followed by BS with 3-4k , easily reach 9-10k in 1 sec .

Just because 'You can't play a class or others tell you it's bad' doesn't mean the class is bad .

I would love to prove my 'point' to you , TRE server , /w 'Cheezmen' :) .

P.S PvP = With PvP Gear . Not as 40% of pop , using PvE gear in PvP and wonder they don't do any good dmg.

Edited by ahzecklawd

Can't take your 'reply' serious, due to the 'lack of experience' . 8-10k , means nothing for a 'decent' geared SM , that's the MIN dmg from Smash . OP due to the 'DoTs' can easily take out targets (I guess , you RQed OP , since you got no idea what you're saying) . I can easily put out a good amount of DPS on my OP , starter about 6 to 7 k crit , followed by BS with 3-4k , easily reach 9-10k in 1 sec .

Just because 'You can't play a class or others tell you it's bad' doesn't mean the class is bad .

P.S PvP = With PvP Gear . Not as 40% of pop , using PvE gear in PvP and wonder they don't do any good dmg.

I'm almost at min-maxed Obroan.

8-10k might be the minimum for a standard smash hit. Put that to the 30% AoE reduction. That 10k hit becomes 7k, that 8k hit becomes 5.6k. Not to mention all you do in AP is Retractable Blade (Hydraulic Overrides) > get to 10m > kite while using Immolate, Flame Burst, and Flamethrower till Juggs/Mara's are dead.

I'm not disagreeing with you that Focus/Rage is very strong in PVP. I'm just saying that AP is in a very good place right now and works great for all aspects of PVP. Pyro needs you to be more aware of your team/opponents since it doesn't have a lot of passive defenses, but can certainly face-melt people if played right.

And Operative/Scoundrel DPS have zero survivability, that's what I was referring to. That's why most teams either A) don't use one or B) if the other has one, hard switches to them the moment they pop out of stealth. They are amazing classes for objective based matches (specifically node guarding/node stealing), but are seriously gimped in arenas.

Edited by ScytheEleven

Er, noone is arguing that smash is strong, it is. But, it's mostly a one-trick pony and any rated team worth it's salt isn't going to clump up and allow a smasher to sit there and whack everyone at once over and over, just as any rated team worth it's salt isn't going to let me chain a 3-stack FT on all four people if they can help it.

If you think AP isn't strong in PvP, then the APs on your server (a PVE server BTW, if I'm not mistaken) are not doing it right.

Even in my worst rounds I'm in the top 2 or 3 of total damage amongst all 16 players in regs, and in my best I'm sometimes 200-300k above the next highest DPS. And before you say "oh it's all fluff damage", no...it's not, as I am 9/10 top total kills and top total killing blows in both arenas and regs.

That said I'm not even the best PT/AP on my server by a long shot, so yes AP is finally in a good spot pvp-wise and I'd recommend new players to at least give it a shot. I haven't played Pyro in over a year and half but the pyros I've seen in rateds have been no slouches themselves.

All in all, I would go so far as to say Tank is actually the least of the three possible specs for powertech at the moment.

Edited by KainrycKarr