Droid Playable race! Why the Hell Not?

RevenStar

Seriously i want a droid playable race there is a huge opening for it. those crazy minds at czerka,the force surrounds everything, the fact that cyborgs don't lose any ability to use the force even though most of them are robots now anyway, and droids like hk-47 and ig-88 being fully sentient well hk still followed orders but the fact that most of his owners died "mysteriously" means that he didn't like doing it. all these things allow for that alone but it is never stated in any lore that a droid couldn't learn or be built to use the force (only using the force argument to get it as a playable race i plan on making a BH droid like ig-88 if it were possible it would also make a scorpio romance possible :p) all i am saying is it would be awesome what do you guys think?

driods are some of the most loved characters in the sw universe and quite a few have awesome personalities look at hk-47 quite possibly the best character in kotor. So popular in fact that he was added to kotor 2 SWG and Swotor. i fail to see why it would not be a good playable race and yes the are a race just like ants or any other non self aware species

What class would a droid be? Bounty Hunter? Why would a droid want money or enjoy a challenge or thrill of the hunt?(HK-47 is special-build by rakatan technology,no ordinary droid)There is no change he would be an agent and a force user or a smuggler or a republic trooper.

dark side/light side system doesn't work for droids.Romance doesn't work too.Also playing it would be boring for RP and immersion.

Bad idea.There is no way the player character will be a droid in this game.

Droids couldn't use the force, so no sith or jedi characters would be open for them, also legacy abilities (force choke, sticky grenade) require a connection to the force so they go out the window.

Basically a droid character would have no legacy and be restricted to trooper, smuggler, agent, and bounty hunter, I'll give that one a miss.

What class would a droid be? Bounty Hunter? Why would a droid want money or enjoy a challenge or thrill of the hunt?(HK-47 is special-build by rakatan technology,no ordinary droid)There is no change he would be an agent and a force user or a smuggler or a republic trooper.

dark side/light side system doesn't work for droids.Romance doesn't work too.Also playing it would be boring for RP and immersion.

Bad idea.There is no way the player character will be a droid in this game.

True, but HK-51 was built by Czerka.

there isn't anything in sw that strictly says droids could not use the force it is only implied as none of the sentient droids you it but as the force surrounds all things all they have to do is learn or be built to detect it and bam jedi/sith droids. you can't tell me that the empire wouldn't want to build force users that they never have to worry about turning on them. if there is a force detector (cannon look it up) like a geiger counter then there is a way for a droid to understand the force. all that is left is a way for them to manipulate it.

there isn't anything in sw that strictly says droids could not use the force it is only implied as none of the sentient droids you it but as the force surrounds all things all they have to do is learn or be built to detect it and bam jedi/sith droids. you can't tell me that the empire wouldn't want to build force users that they never have to worry about turning on them. if there is a force detector (cannon look it up) like a geiger counter then there is a way for a droid to understand the force. all that is left is a way for them to manipulate it.

There was a droid in the expanded universe who could use the force, then bam, he was made non-canon, and Lucas then made the canonical statement that droids can't use the force. And while Lucas no longer owns Star Wars, he did put legal safeguards in place to stop certain things from happening, and you can bet this was one of them.

Take this to the suggestion box, this is not the right discussion section.

Umm, it is the right discussion area, it's a discussion about why something can or can't happen in Star Wars, which is entirely appropriate for Star Wars Discussion.

Although the OP could enter it into the Suggestion forum. But I doubt it would happen.

Umm, it is the right discussion area, it's a discussion about why something can or can't happen in Star Wars, which is entirely appropriate for Star Wars Discussion.

Although the OP could enter it into the Suggestion forum. But I doubt it would happen.

Read the OP, he is saying Droids should be a playable race, that is a suggestion for this game, which this section is not about, even if it was more about lore, it would go in the Story & Lore section, because it is the lore for the game, Star Wars discussion is about everything Star Wars that is not a part of this game.

Hate to burst your burble, but they already said that droids will not ever be a playable species. They are just too far outside the human-relation for most gamers. While you would LOVE it, it is a niche concept and as we all know, playing to the minority gets you shut down. A new species isn't like creating a companion. HK and Treek are placation items. It's going to be the closest thing you will get to playing such characters.

To reiterate, any new playable species must be close enough to human to be relatable by MOST people. Not just us fanatics. This means that it must fit into the height presets of each body type. So no diminutive stature species like jawas, squib, bimm, lannik, and especially yoda's race. Nor will there be larger species, wookiees, houk, gamorrean, gen'dai, etc. Since they must be relatable you have to limit to human range appearance and similarities. Since there are no facial expressions as a droid, you lose out on that. Same for highly alien species like kel dor, sullustan, rodian, selkath, quarren, celegian, etc.

Even though there are some there that I would LOVE, I have come to accept that they just never will make it. Should they ever, it's a sign that the game will be shutting down (like the ridiculousness of SWG at the end with angel and bat wings, armor from 200 years in the future in relation to the time period, etc.) The development and implementation of a given species is a HUGE undertaking. They are not going to enter into it lightly. While we can post and post, ad nauseum, it seems to be one of those creative concepts that seems set in granite. So I chime in yet again to say, don't get your hopes up. It is HIGHLY unlikely to change.

If it makes you feel better, chime in on Cel Cawdro's Ultimate "Community Desire for Species" Poll.

• 2 months later...

Well for those saying nonsense about droids not being able to use the force yadayada its jibberish as its been done in comic to a degree.....BUT back onto track...

Droids are not a 'Race' they are what they are...droids...Now I RP a Tythonian Sparring droid with its own AI for the Jedi Masters on Tython on my Sage.

How I explain it to al the dumb asses in RP who say it can't be explained.

Using force abilities like the cone pushback and some attacks are re-pulsar pulse drives in my joints, throwing rocks/pebbles are anti-grav drives in my hand joints (like the anti grav gun in Half Life) and for added effect of Rocket Boots.. well .. I'm a droid I have space in my legs for rockets :-P for mind attacks, simple. Nano bots that spray out at the enemy via a pressurised drive in my hands. These things can be explained if you have the right class.. Bounty Hunter works best I find though with all the tricks and what not.

My only problem is so far all the 'Series' sets that have come out have been 3/4 robot and 1/4 human, regarding the left arm and leg.. I would like BW to release a FULL droid set, just code it so its mirrored

(I would love to play a droid character)

But, what I was really going to say in this thread is that there is actual a discussion if Droids can use the force carried out in the JK story line. There is a Nautolan Master (I forgot her name) that has three pet droids she is very fond of.

I think it is on Hoth where you can discuss her theories about Droids being able to use the force. You get the option to tell her that you think her theories are sound, which she is very grateful for - because all other Jedi Masters thinks she is crazy for believing such a thing.

So, Droids using the force is unheard of in SWTOR, but it is not unthought of :D

As for Droids using the force there is a precedent for why not. In a word, Midichlorians. To paraphrase Qui-Gon Jinn "Midichlorians are a microscopic life form that resides in all living cells" "We are symbionts with them. Without them life could not exist and we would have no knowledge of the force. They continually speak to us telling us the will of the force". Without trying to deride anyone or rain on their creativity I don't think a droid applies.

Well if Droids would be able to use the force may depend on if the force is only usable by living beings or if may also be accessible by sentient beings. And I certainly think a Droid with true AI would count as a sentient being.

Well we learned that there are Midichlorians in living beings, but who says there is no equivalent for sentient Robots?

I do not really want to go down that road in this thread, but I am sure there can be a point made for syntheticn live being sentient and from that point I do think the use of the Force is not too far off.

Well if Droids would be able to use the force may depend on if the force is only usable by living beings or if may also be accessible by sentient beings. And I certainly think a Droid with true AI would count as a sentient being.

Well we learned that there are Midichlorians in living beings, but who says there is no equivalent for sentient Robots?

I do not really want to go down that road in this thread, but I am sure there can be a point made for syntheticn live being sentient and from that point I do think the use of the Force is not too far off.

Nothing in the Lore says sentience is a factor in force use, numerous examples in the Expanded Universe of nonsentient force users exist.

Edited by AlexDougherty

Sources such as "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" which spends a great deal of the novel discussing how he learns to compensate for his diminished ability to use the force due to his cybernetics or Yoda's quote from "The Empire Strikes Back" where he says "For my ally is the force- and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow" seem to suggest that living tissue is needed to use the force.

Oh and yes Trandoshan's would be cool to play. But with the whole language issue mentioned earlier sadly I don't see it happening (can you imagine a Trandoshan with the crisp formal speech pattern of the Imperial Agent for example lol)