Withering Terror - Question (TFB 16HM)

Just wondering if anybody is aware of specific mechanics regarding "Withering Terror" that Kel'Sara casts during the final phase of the Dreadguard fight on 16m HM.

Number of targets affected?

Range (if any)?

Number of casts during phase?

I think this is from the adds that spawn at 75 50 and 25% - it seems to hit just about everyone in the raid and the more that get their cast off the harder it hits. You need to kill the adds as soon as they begin spawning - and certainly before they get their casts off. This is quite easily done. I believe there are 3-4 casters and 2-3 melee that run around, always focus the casters down first if you can identify them (usually the ones that spawn in corners).

Withering Terror is cast by Kel'Sara. I can't speak definitively to how many people are targeted or the number of casts that go off. It does seem like ranging Kel'Sara away from the raid as much as possible reduces the number of people who get this DoT.

@Nibbon The adds that spawn will begin to cast Affliction, not Withering Terror, which comes from Kel'Sara.

Just to make sure everyone knows what we're talking about, Withering Terror is the DoT put out by Kel'Sara that cannot be dispelled. The animation for Withering Terror looks like purple smoke hitting the ground around the player she targets. It has a small AoE so spreading out will make sure only one person gets it.

(There is another DoT during this phase applied by the adds that looks like a Sorcerer's Affliction DoT and is called Mass Affliction. This is not the DoT we are talking about. If you get Mass Affliction then you didn't kill the adds fast enough.)

Here is what I noticed from watching our kill/attempt videos:

• Kel'Sara casts Withering Terror for the first time 17 seconds after Ciphas dies.
  • Withering Terror lasts 25 seconds.
  • Kel'Sara will not cast Withering Terror again until 11 seconds (or more) after the previous Withering Terror drops off.
  • She casts it on people standing at range, not on people in melee range.

So basically you have 17 seconds into phase 3 and then Withering Terror goes out. Then every 36 to 40 seconds after that she will cast it until she is dead. To mitigate this mechanic I recommend spreading out when no one has Withering Terror and once it gets applied to someone you can move closer together for AoE healing.

Just to make sure everyone knows what we're talking about, Withering Terror is the DoT put out by Kel'Sara that cannot be dispelled. The animation for Withering Terror looks like purple smoke hitting the ground around the player she targets. It has a small AoE so spreading out will make sure only one person gets it.

(There is another DoT during this phase applied by the adds that looks like a Sorcerer's Affliction DoT and is called Mass Affliction. This is not the DoT we are talking about. If you get Mass Affliction then you didn't kill the adds fast enough.)

Here is what I noticed from watching our kill/attempt videos:

• Kel'Sara casts Withering Terror for the first time 17 seconds after Ciphas dies.
  • Withering Terror lasts 25 seconds.
  • Kel'Sara will not cast Withering Terror again until 11 seconds (or more) after the previous Withering Terror drops off.
  • She casts it on people standing at range, not on people in melee range.

So basically you have 17 seconds into phase 3 and then Withering Terror goes out. Then every 36 to 40 seconds after that she will cast it until she is dead. To mitigate this mechanic I recommend spreading out when no one has Withering Terror and once it gets applied to someone you can move closer together for AoE healing.

Yep, no problem dealing with the Mass Affliction; more with multiple people getting hit by Withering Terror.

Thanks for the information.

Cheers

Edited by Gunnna

It functions precisely like an assassin's wither as far as hitting multiple targets. Just have your dps spread out during that phase, healing one or two people through it is a breeze. It can hit any target in raid, we've had it on tanks, dps, and healers.

I think he's talking about the DoT that is applied to the tank durning this phase. If not im not sure, but what the Dot does is make it so the tanks have to swap because if the tank with the dot is healed during the 20 second dot it in turn heals kel'sara. the adds need to be burned down as well as a tank i think i did it in 3-4gcd by myself. Lastly she puts a beam of light on a player and starts moving towards them. Kite her away and it does nothing(if shes catches the player however it is 1 shot)

I think he's talking about the DoT that is applied to the tank durning this phase. If not im not sure, but what the Dot does is make it so the tanks have to swap because if the tank with the dot is healed during the 20 second dot it in turn heals kel'sara. the adds need to be burned down as well as a tank i think i did it in 3-4gcd by myself. Lastly she puts a beam of light on a player and starts moving towards them. Kite her away and it does nothing(if shes catches the player however it is 1 shot)

None of this is what we are talking about.