Learn to read the loot...

So I can't help but notice... that every other time I do a flashpoint, as the tank, my heavy armor drops get needed by cloth/medium wearing *** hats who can't use the gear. Often what happens when I call it out, they reply , "Oh, I will trade this bind on pickup item to you"... How you gonna trade it *** hat? How you gonna trade a soulbound item??

This has happened to me 6-7 times now like clockwork with completely different people (Mainly because I tend to block idiots) altho one time.. first time this happened actually... this sentinel, it's like his mother stuck a spike in his head, he took like 3 freaking pieces from me alone in one run along with someones cloth armor, shame on me for staying in that group but Jesus Christ how stupid can you get... Last night was the last straw for me, when a pair of pants dropped that look similar to a skirt in the picture and the assassin in the group hit need... "Oh let me trade that too you, I didn't read it woops." How you gonna trade that? Try it, see what happens, oh that's right, nothing because you're an idiot.

My solution to this problem? Sadly, please don't hate me for this, I really do hate to compare that filth to this awesome game.... But look at Blizzards looting system in World of Warcraft...*Punches himself in face* need only if you can use, greed for everyone... I hate to say it, but it's practical, and fairly idiot proof... and although lower gear may not matter too much, it's nice for looks since we have mods apparently for that specific reason, it shouldn't take me 20 runs in the same FP just to acquire something I should have had the first time, this kind of thing just shouldn't be a problem, yet apparently people can't read the bright red letters.. :/

Thank you for taking the time to address my problem with your otherwise extremely well built game, I do really enjoy playing it, but this makes me rage quit every time for 3 days or better. I Think you guys are doing a great job and I appreciate your time on this matter. Thanks!

-Jack

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's little kids that get picked on in school and that is their only way of lashing out at other people. Just saying no to pickup groups is the only solution available to you.

That's hard to do for me as my play time is erratic, besides, I shouldn't have too. I don't beleive it's to much to ask for some honesty to be enforced in an MMO. People take advantage of the fact that they have no real consequences sitting 100 miles away or better. But in a game you charge a monthly fee for, certain things just shouldn't happen, save your rage for Role Playing, insult and beat someone in a duel, go gank the enemy and spit on there corps.. Play the story line! I just bled a fellow apprentice dry and danced on his corps... Warzones are fantastic too, even a kid could find someone to own. Just leave my rightfully earned loot alone.. Leave Brittany alone guys! :o

Actually WoW's loot system might be the problem. They changed it a while ago to have BoP items dropped in dungeons be tradeable for 2 hours or something like that to anyone who participated in the fight. So, a lot of people just needed everything and traded if they had to.

I've never really played WoW.. but honestly I'm sick of leveling new toons & getting some moron tank looting trooper gear... trooper gear that was a big upgrade for me.

Idk if upping the age limit might help? but quite honestly SOMETHING needs to be done on this matter. I'm sick of my drops going to someone who can't take 5 seconds to read the stats. :|

This is what vote-kicking is for.

Problem is with that, especially on the amount of small servers this thing has, it can be hours before a replacement comes along. I am not over exaggerating that figure.

Edited by Aedey

I've never really played WoW.. but honestly I'm sick of leveling new toons & getting some moron tank looting trooper gear... trooper gear that was a big upgrade for me.

Idk if upping the age limit might help? but quite honestly SOMETHING needs to be done on this matter. I'm sick of my drops going to someone who can't take 5 seconds to read the stats. :|

Problem is with that, especially on the amount of small servers this thing has, it can be hours before a replacement comes along. I am not over exaggerating that figure.

As a tank you shouldn't have to wait too long if you kick a DPS. If a DPS kicks a tank they're gonna be stuck for a while though.

Any system is going to have issues and selfish people are always gonna be able to exploit it. I have no issues with the current system, but I have no issues kicking and /ignoring loot ninjas and players that don't listen/follow CC and kill order. I give them a chance to improve before kicking them but I do let them die a lot more often :p

i liked the WoW need greed system better. Mainly for the fact you could trade bop items with people who was in on the kill the first hour after you got your bop drop. **** happens, and most of us have hit need on something we shouldn´t. Having said that it´s usually quite easy to make a ticket and get a GM to give the right person the drop.

Ofc. the ticket have to be made by the one who got the loot, so if it´s a ninja looting ***** then that wont happen.

This is what vote-kicking is for.

That is fine except when people do it on the final boss. I need nothing from HMFP, so I do them for BH comms and crafting materials. I pass on any and everything. My guild gets ticked at me because I pass on everything even in ops. Don't need credits either. However, I do greed crafting materials, but it really doesn't matter because at least two people need everything on the final boss anyways. Not that big a deal, just a little annoying. Since I gotten all my BH gear and modified it with the correct mod and enhancements makes me wonder if I really want to continue running HMFP with my healer if there really only a very small chance I could get something I could use.

On my shadow I still need BH Comms, but she doesn't care as she doesn't need crafting materials.

That is fine except when people do it on the final boss. I need nothing from HMFP, so I do them for BH comms and crafting materials. I pass on any and everything. My guild gets ticked at me because I pass on everything even in ops. Don't need credits either. However, I do greed crafting materials, but it really doesn't matter because at least two people need everything on the final boss anyways. Not that big a deal, just a little annoying. Since I gotten all my BH gear and modified it with the correct mod and enhancements makes me wonder if I really want to continue running HMFP with my healer if there really only a very small chance I could get something I could use.

On my shadow I still need BH Comms, but she doesn't care as she doesn't need crafting materials.

I do the same thing on my Commando dps. However, my Sage healer isn't yet kitted out so I get BH comms on my commando, buy Sage gear and ship the mods over via legacy gear.

Because my Commado is way overgeared for HMFP, I have a lot of success pugging flashpoints, even with undergeared people, so it works out.

Because my Commado is way overgeared for HMFP, I have a lot of success pugging flashpoints, even with undergeared people, so it works out.
My Knight will be full rakata (except hilt) when she hits 50 thanks to Legacy. Level 20 now. My Agent will be fairly well equipped day one, but I want the set bonus on my healers. So I may look strange running around with Columi and Tionese gear with BH and Rakata mods.

My though is even Rakata is way over geared for HMFP and while I love to heal, Way less pressure doing DPS in PUGs. Plus like someone told my yesterday in a HMFP, taking my healer almost seems like cheating and lets people get away with stuff they really shouldn't get away with in a HMFP. Too many over geared tanks, dps and healers are making it so some new players are not learning the right way to play and is too forgiving on their gear. So instead of paying attention to gear they just need everything. Some of the problems with this is people just in a speed mode after running at a brisk pace with over geared people that they just do need anything that looks like a upgrade to them without paying attention. They are so use to people typing SPACEBAR at them. Most of the problem though is people are just greedy jerks. :)

Edited by mikebevo

So I can't help but notice... that every other time I do a flashpoint, as the tank, my heavy armor drops get needed by cloth/medium wearing *** hats who can't use the gear.

All "cloth/medium wearing *** hats" have companions that may need the gear and it's very possible they're rolling need for the companion. Since a companion is an extension of the player when they are playing solo, I understand why they may be rolling need on something that you think they cannot use. Is it annoying? Yes. Against the rules? No.

Anyone that rolls need cross-class without asking the group first gets an automatic place on my ignore list. It may not be against the rules, but I don't want to group with people who do this so I use the tool provided to prevent a repeat with that toon. I will do this even if the drop is not for my class.

I may give them a pass if an apology for an error is immediately forthcoming since mistakes can happen.

Plus like someone told my yesterday in a HMFP, taking my healer almost seems like cheating and lets people get away with stuff they really shouldn't get away with in a HMFP. Too many over geared tanks, dps and healers are making it so some new players are not learning the right way to play and is too forgiving on their gear. So instead of paying attention to gear they just need everything.

That's an interesting thought. I suppose my being overgeared could encourage sloppy behavior.

Most of the newer players I've ended up with have been happy to listen to boss strategies as we get to them. Giving unasked advice on how to play their class would likely be poorly received.

Now, if someone is making egregious mistakes (e.g. Shadow Tank with no stance on, healer doing too much dps) that is a different story. But in my personal experience most troubles with HMFPs are encounter related (e.g. don't stand in Tregg's whirlwind attack). That said, I've never pugged ops, as I have a guild. I would hope that any halfway decent operation player would take time to read up on the many helpful posts in this forum (and others) discussing optimal strategies for playing their class.

Edited by Khevar

(e.g. don't stand in Tregg's whirlwind attack).
Why bring that up? I consider myself a very average player, but a smart player, but on my Shadow this guy has gotten me like 3 times. I can easily do Jarg as mDPS in NIM, but I can't do this guy. Most the time I am fairly good at hitting and running, but have died 3 times on it. All three times have been when my guild master was on the HMFP with me. :mad:

:p

Edited by mikebevo

All "cloth/medium wearing *** hats" have companions that may need the gear and it's very possible they're rolling need for the companion. Since a companion is an extension of the player when they are playing solo, I understand why they may be rolling need on something that you think they cannot use. Is it annoying? Yes. Against the rules? No.

This is why they should implement a "Need for Companion" option, and lock pure Need rolls to characters who can actually use that gear personally. People would still be greedy jerks and roll Need on everything they can wear, whether they're going to actually use it or not, but if it prevents even one Jedi losing a lightsaber to a trooper(why would a trooper roll Need on a lightsaber? Why? Not only can they not use it themselves, their companions can't use it, and they can't even use the mods because the entire team is Aim-based), then it is totally worth it.

i can understand your frustration in having people needing against you on items that they cant equip. but things like this have been happening in mmos well before wow and will continue to.

the best solution is the prevention of needing non equippable items and not making it tradable within 30 mins or what ever time frame. if you make it tradable what you will see is guildies in a group needing every piece of gear dropped they can use and then trading it among themselves who can use it. don't say this wont happen as it has and will. i have seen it.

once in a while people will make a mistake and need on the wrong item or hit the wrong button. but having a person in a group who starts needing every thing should to be talked to right away about it. if his behavior doesnt change boot him or you just leave the group.

there is little that can be done as is. just be glad the lfd isn't cross server as this would be even more prevalent.

Needing gear for a companion is only acceptable if you ask first. As companions don't come on Ops/Hm FP's having a player get geared up is much more important. If you need something for a companion, which you really don't, ask first. The only time you should hit need is if it a piece of gear for the character you are on, if it's for an alt ask first.

Plus unless you are a Trooper, not sure about other classes, you have companions which may use all different stats. So in essence you could need on every piece gear since one of your companions can use it. So if you are going to need something that is not the piece of gear for your character please ask.

Edited by Capt_Beers

Needing for companions is perfectly acceptable in all situations.

I'll usually make it clear right off the bat, but if my reason for being there is the same item you're there for, we're both investing the same amount of time, and we're both entitled to the same chance at the loot we'd like.

I'm not in the group to carry you to your loot. If I'm in a FP, it's because I'm looking for something.

Another favorite is "you already have that piece, why are you needing it again?!"

That's simple, bw horribly itemized every piece of gear in the game, so you often need to seek a single item many times to get enough of the correct enhancements. (for example)

Needing gear for a companion is only acceptable if you ask first. As companions don't come on Ops/Hm FP's having a player get geared up is much more important. If you need something for a companion, which you really don't, ask first. The only time you should hit need is if it a piece of gear for the character you are on, if it's for an alt ask first.

The fact that companions don't join us in ops is of zero consequence. If someone doesn't run ops at all, their companions hold more personal value than they may for you.

We all play for different reasons, and nothing makes OPS more valid than casual solo play with companions.

I think there's two reasonable sides to this argument.

I understand the need for a tank to try to get heavy armor of his class as well as a cloth wearer to try to get his type. But if, let's say, a tank is completely outfitted with Black Hole armor, then i believe it's ok for someone else to call needs. It'll most likely be for their companions.

Many players check out their groups armor, either before they begin or during a break in the action. Not everyone does this but if you know for sure another player is outfitted with good armor, then I would imagine its ok to call needs.

Edited by RikHar