dirty little secret---slicing

Soulchilde

Becuase the difference between a GAMER and a Game PLAYER is that the Gamer plays the game for the enjoyment of it, and will explore everything and go everywhere, and NEVER look at or for a guide/cheat. They WANT to and WILL work for what they get.

The Game PLAYER plays a game and wants everything NOW, and is not interested in exploring possabilities, and doesn't want to work for what he gets, and will use any opportunity to get hold of a guide or a cheat the get there faster than everyone else.

Flame me if you will but the fact remains there are two type of game player, an over simplified explanation of both I have listed above.

I never could understand this mentality.

'Work' to me is what I do to pay for this game.

'Gaming' is entertainment and fun. Anything achieved in the game is just a natural progression from having fun in the game.

The moment I have to 'grind' or 'work' for something in a game is the same moment I click the 'cancel' button.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slicing is nice but honestly people are blowing out of proportion the money gains from it.

With no slicing at all I've bought all but the final (200k) bag slot, kept all my crew skills up to date (armormech, scavenging, underworld) and still been easily able to afford training and mounts. Level 38 now. And I didn't play the GTN at all.

Money comes pretty easily from quests and loot from npcs you kill too, people are just focusing on the instant reward of slicing. It's nice, but it isn't breaking the game at all.

Holy Christ people.. the game has been officially released for maybe 2 days. It usually takes around 2 weeks for an Auction House to get going with any real strength. People who are leveling their first character rarely give a crap about spending money on minor upgrades.. especially horribly overpriced ones.

It's the max level characters that run the economy. Give it a month at least until you start throwing baby fits.

Also, consider that 1000 credits isn't supposed to mean anything. As far as I can tell 8-10k credits is about equal to 1 gold in WoW. Vehicles are CHEAP in this game. Slicing is bring you like 5-50 silver at a time.. woo...

Edited by Sirfuzzy

Actually.. They need to un-nerf it.. Stuff is very expensive now.. 20k for your second row of pack storage, 40k for another tab in your cargo hold, 40k to train for speeders. (That doesn't include cost of speeder.), ever increasing cost of training, ever increasing cost of sending your companions out to level your crew skills, Increasing cost of misc. mods and gear..

There are a lot of credit sinks in this game.. I am lvl 21 and I am nowhere near the 40k for my speeder or upgrading my cargo hold.. I have bought 1 row of pack space for 5k.. Next row is 20.. No clue what the row after that is..

So no.. They need to un-nerf it.. Either that or I need to learn to use the GTN.. :(

Do pvp, plenty of credits there.

The point i see in money from slicing is so that you can buy resources you need to craft. It doesn't need nerfing or un-nerfing as a fair amount of my credits i make from slicing go straight back into buying cybertech resources off the market, some of which is getting quite over-priced (2000 credits for 10 bronzium), but it is still enough for me to break even as if i were still a scavenger and then make my item and sell it

Real money comes from gathering nodes, not from missions. Getting 100k+ creds/hours isn't negligible, considering you have a crafting proffession as well as another gathering proffession. This way, you'd only need to buy mission mats from the AH and still craft/sell your stuff and enjoy extra credits. On lucky illum runs i can make up to half a million credits per day (3+ hour grinds) without any risk of not selling my stuff and wasting mats.

Well, personally I've been running as a 3x gatherer (scavenge/bio/arch), haven't sold a single resource on the GTN, and either equipped the BoE gear I've picked up or mailed it to an alt. The only stuff I've sold was either vendor junk or previously bound (not usable by companions) gear.

At lvl 25 I had over 80K in the bank (which got gouged by speeder training) and had max level mods for all of my orange gear (paid for with commendations, not cash). No PvP, no Flashpoint creds, just doing the regular + bonus missions.

So, while slicing may provide a nice credit buffer, it's absolutely unnecessary, and I'm figuring I'll either sell the mats I've farmed for a nice profit in a few weeks when folks start aggressively purchasing them to power-level their lvl 50 chars, or I'll use them myself to lvl my primary/alt professions. Win either way.

Sure, slicing looks like the go-to prof in these early days, but in the long run those credit bags aren't going to scale with the general economy, and eventually they'll become trivial. While I hate to point at WoW as an example, it's fairly representative of MMO economics - GTN prices will ultimately appear to be stratospheric vs. vendor product, but the value of gathered mats will balance out those prices. I really like that SWTOR has the alternative BoP currency for purchasing level-appropriate gear/mods. You'll always be able to side-step the mainstream economy if doing GTN isn't your thing. If you want to min/max while leveling, then just take gathering profs and buy the gear you need with the profit from selling the mats. The dedicated crafters will love you.

Meanwhile, I'm just waiting for some enterprising Artifice crafter to figure out that I'd like to spend a hefty chunk of cash for a decent blue +End crystal to replace my horribly obsolete DDE yellow/black one. Seriously, as a light-side Sith I am just aching to *show my color*!

A profession that prints its own money is a bad idea. I sit on my ship and send my companions out on Slicing missions while I'm watching TV.

Slicing will always be impossible to balance. Nerf too hard and you've created a useless profession. Buff too high, and credits become meaningless.

Slicing missions arent guaranteed its possible to get less then you spent on the mission.

Unless it gets bigger later im only seeing small gains on the missions and usually look for the boxes in game. Granted if i find a box just outside my range line on Tat ill send em all on missions so i can grab it or come back to it shortly. im making way more on Missions (quests not npc missions) then slicing.

Eventually ill prob end up dropping it for scavenging so i can start working on Cybertech.

That's not the issue. On my server lvl 20 blues and purps are going for 10k-15k... , so for people who don't follow the forums or played during beta opening the AH and finding items WAY over-priced can be dis-heartening

Re-read what you posted. So what you're saying is, 'crafters' are selling pieces for 10-15k, and slicers are buying those pieces. Doesn't that include both sides of the argument? The only people left, are the ones that don't slice, and don't craft. Figure out the rest.

While I agree with that, you must also consider that increasing skills isn't about "like". If you can't do enough damage, or prevent enough, or heal enough etc then you are kind of screwed. If they left everything the way it is but reduced the price of training by half it would be great.

I've always felt that increasing ones abilities should not be that costly. Charge whatever you want for fluff stuff though. I'm fine with the guy next to me having a very nice looking speeder. I'm not fine with him being able to do better because he had more money, not because of timing/skill usage that kind of thing.

The only important point in this whole thread IMHO.

An economy is never stagnant unless you have a major depression which really can't happen in an MMO. Things will change. Slicing might be the hot go to gathering skill now. But the need to retrain and then power level once you hit the cap, puts you at a disadvantage. You can buy mats instead of gathering them but guess what? The demand and less gathers on the low end mats will drive up the prices, and bye bye all your slicing money. Or you gather the mats, but wait that'll take time. By the time you can make a profitable item, it's worth will be depressed because it's been available for a while.

As far as I'm concerned as long as I can get a mount and the skill needed at each mount level, gear that will let me do my part in quests and raids, etc. And can afford all my class/ship abilities then I don't care about how much credits some one else has. They can buy all the vanity pets, cloths, rides, and what have you they want.

If on the other hand having extra credits gives a player an advantage in actual game play? Then sure I'll be p@ssed. So far I don't see that as a problem, and won't worry till it becomes one.

Picked up Slicing at lvl 21, when I had about 14k credits.

Level 34 now, and have 350k, great gear, and extra goodies bought. People with out slicing aren't necessarily screwed, but they will be far behind in cash.

Except if you spend a night farming you get hundreds of thousans of credits from looting ... no slicing necessary. What slicing has going for it is that it's comfortable steady stream of credits. But you sacrifice self sufficiency in your crafting profession for it.

Except if you spend a night farming you get hundreds of thousans of credits from looting ... no slicing necessary. What slicing has going for it is that it's comfortable steady stream of credits. But you sacrifice self sufficiency in your crafting profession for it.

Except you can train the mission skill you miss simply on a lvl 10 alt and level it there to 400.

Slicing missions arent guaranteed its possible to get less then you spent on the mission.

Wrong.

Hint: those moderate, abanduant, bontiful, rich words on missions mean something.

Edited by Psykhe