Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4

CourtneyWoods

Thus far, it seems like this game is going to the old "Squeakiest wheel gets the oil" routine. So maybe the PVE driven players need to start trolling and yelling more? I'd hate to resort to that but, it seems that may be the only thing the devs. are hearing right now. I have nothing against PVP play, I am just not at all interested due to all the egos that tend to get involved. Just not my thing. My boyfriend and I are SW fans through and through. So... if you want to cater to the PVP..fine but, do it on PVP worlds/areas only. If the PVE'ers keep getting the short end of the stick... my boyfriend and are going to look into another game. I know our $30 a month is just a drop in the bucket but, there's other games who will not deviate from the class lore of their characters the way that has been done here...and they'd love to have that money.

With some exception, the game can be broken down into two different kinds of players. No one should be better than the other and one should not cater to the other. Each has it's own mindset and reason for being in the game.

Common sense solution... Keep PVP on their own servers.... make adjustments to all their demands as you see fit and let them duke it out! Balance away! Keep PVE on their own servers and leave it be! Add some content.

OR

Create a different set of skills used that activate once you enter a PVP area or while playing Huttball.

LEAVE PVE ALONE PLEASE!

Would be nice to see the game hold on to at least some integrity to classes.

Well said Siobahn! In fact nice to see you again after some time :)

At least they havent closed this thread. but the Bioware defence force is certainly going all out as it would seem!

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they wanted to balance the classes in PvP but not affect PvE, it's pretty simple way of doing it. It's called the EXPERTISE stat on the PvP gear. Right now, the stat affects all players/classes equally against other players, but not against PvE encounters.

What if they adjusted it so expertise had a different impact for say Marauders/Powertechs and increased it for some other classes? For example, at around 1250 expertise you get +22% damage buff to players. Well, for Marauders and Powertechs, that could be reduced to say 12% at 1250. That's a 10% damage reduction in PvP with no impact on PvE.

The mechanics are there to do this, but instead they want to add more stuns to try to reduce the effectiveness of the overpowered classes. Of course, those overpowered classes will also get to stun you more often as well, but that isn't an issue since overpowered classes don't need stuns to win.

all but one of the sorc/sage buffs are in the healing/lightning trees. We all know lightning is broken, so ..... what about DPS sorcs? I am thankful for another instant heal(even tho thats one more button to push), but is it really going to keep me from being face planted more? Time will tell i suppose, but i fear it wont.

Now, if you really wanted to throw us a bone, you could give us back some damage. Even in those games where i am left alone and spam my rotations, i am out dpsed by maras/power techs. Im not saying nerf them, but you should consider giving us some damage. How in the world do medium/heavy armor classes out DPS a light armored class that is specced for damage only? That is the definition of unbalanced.

If you are opposed to having our damage on par with some of the best classes in the game ..... then throw us some medium armor and upgrade Sith Defiance .... ALOT make it cost more points ... move it up in the tree whatever you gotta do. But, I mean the whole instant heal thing seems like a bandaid that isnt going to work how you think it will work. Oh and parasitism/death field/devour arent cutting it either.

/frustration off

Anyways, it is nice to see that they are working on class balance and it shows they care. Albeit i think they are going about it in the wrong way.

If they wanted to balance the classes in PvP but not affect PvE, it's pretty simple way of doing it. It's called the EXPERTISE stat on the PvP gear. Right now, the stat affects all players/classes equally against other players, but not against PvE encounters.

What if they adjusted it so expertise had a different impact for say Marauders/Powertechs and increased it for some other classes? For example, at around 1250 expertise you get +22% damage buff to players. Well, for Marauders and Powertechs, that could be reduced to say 12% at 1250. That's a 10% damage reduction in PvP with no impact on PvE.

The mechanics are there to do this, but instead they want to add more stuns to try to reduce the effectiveness of the overpowered classes. Of course, those overpowered classes will also get to stun you more often as well, but that isn't an issue since overpowered classes don't need stuns to win.

I'm afraid you are missing the point. It's not EXPERTISE that we are complaining about it's ability/spec changes for PVP that are affecting PVE.

Only thing I'm worried about Force Wave/Overload's change, it seems like it could be frustrating when you're surrounded, fire it the wrong way during combat, and maybe die cause of it (in PvE). other than that looks good I guess, can't say it ever was a concern of mine since I don't PvP that often. On the other hand I like the idea of that because it makes me think of the movies when they'd just Force Push several droids to the ground. lol

Other than that, most of the skill add-ons they're putting in seem like they'll be very helpful for PvE. I'm looking forward to the Trooper's new skill canceling skill

Edited by DeltaCharlieTwo
New info was brought to my attention

The only change that I immediately see as good, is changing overload into a cone, as it was completely overpowered in huttball and utterly useless in PVE.

As for resolve, I am not entirely sure what this change means, but the problem of resolve in PVP is in my opinion effective and practical chain-stunning, instead of making someone accidentally immune to stun by causing too much resolve. This gives me a feel that the devs are trying to fix the wrong problem.

I would suggest that the resolve bar should persist as full a couple seconds longer than it currently does. As it is, it starts to diminish again really quick allowing the person to be stunned again. And/or I think person should be automatically released from stun when his resolve bar fills up.

edit: If Im reading other peoples posts right, this means that the resolve bar fills LESS than before, which makes this change terribad.

Edited by Karkais

My one comment is that you can't keep adding new abilities without adressing the issue of lack of space on hotbars. Either extend the ones we have or add a 5th hotbar option. I dont really get how that can be something that is "slated for sometime later". It's a hotbar for petes sake - not the sistine chapel.

A question regarding the notes though - this:

New Bodyguard/Combat Medic skill, Peacekeeper/Frontline Medic: While protected by your own Kolto Shell/Trauma Probe, firing Rapid Shots/Hammer Shot at an enemy triggers your Kolto Shell/Trauma Probe to heal you on a separate 3-second rate limit.

Does that mean you'll be depleting the 10 charges of the Kolto Shell even though you may be at full health since the trigger is now you dealing damage instead of taking it? Or is it not taking charges when it heals you this way?

Edited by Asavrede

Only thing I'm worried about Force Wave/Overload's change, it seems like it could be frustrating when you're surrounded, fire it the wrong way during combat, and maybe die cause of it (in PvE). other than that looks good I guess, can't say it ever was a concern of mine since I don't PvP that often. On the other hand I like the idea of that because it makes me think of the movies when they'd just Force Push several droids to the ground. lol

Other than that, most of the skill add-ons they're putting in seem like they'll be very helpful for PvE. I'm looking forward to the Trooper's new skill canceling skill

Your right it will be frustrating. One of the common ways to kill someone (especially as a shadow). Is to approach someone from behind. Overall I will be able to damage those of my class more because I have stealth, and I have special abilities for standing behind a character (stab). Now they won't be able to escape. Think about it. It certainly leaves us vulnerable.

Now on to what you said about Force Push. That's already in the game but for a different class. Point is the game already has that, and it's cool. So why do we need it? It just makes the game less diverse and more boring. In addition I might feel like I'm missing something. It was my very first AOE move. It's a part of my character and myself.

It's like changing Mario's fireball. It's part of him.

But I admire Bio Ware's efforts. At least they are trying. I agree with you as well them some things seem like they will help the game. But I still don't get why they don't address the major issues. I don't think any Jedi shadow/sage out there wanted three abilities altered in one shot. That's a lot to deal with. We will have a handicap compared to other classes now...a learning curve.

I said it once today, and I will say it again.

MMO's NEED TO LEARN TO STOP TAKING THINGS AWAY FROM CUSTOMERS, I FEEL CHEATED. IN A WAY IT"S ALMOST LIKE STEALING. YOU TAKE AWAY MY ABILITIES I'M USED TO, YOU TAKE AWAY COSMETIC LOOKS FROM MY CHARACTER, YOU REDESIGN ABILITIES, YOU TAKE AWAY MY DAMAGE.

I FEEL LIKE SWTOR JUST TAKES, AND DOESN'T GIVE.

MMO'S NEED TO START PUTTING IN PLACE A POLICY WHERE THEY DON"T REMOVE THINGS. THEY SHOULD ONLY FIX PROBLEMS BY ADDING SOLUTIONS.

an example? give people a force push option instead of force wave. obviously a lot of people would use it, this would help balance maybe, but those want the old way could use it as well. GIVE, don't TAKE. It JUST FEELS WRONG.

Edited by NoaFlux

same thinking
And the following arent?:

*Immunity to stuns

*UR

*Tankassins running the ball

*Leaps

*Even sorc/sage pulls although I personally think that the use of this is exaggerated in normal warzones

*Grapple

*Roots

Overload/FW probably had the least amount of impact on huttball. It was at the same time one of the main life-savers for the squishiest class in the game. People will roll operatives now with the intent of only killing sorcs/sages.

Edited by MidichIorian

More Schematics for crew skills/A better sorting system for all of your schematics.

* *insert schematic* 1 20% RE chance

*insert schematic* 2 10% RE Chance

*Insert schematic 3* 5% RE Chance

*insert schematic* 4 2% RE Chance <--Very hard to gather ingredients! (Gold not yellow)

I would also like to see the ability to make *These crystal being incredibly hard and time consuming to make!*:

Purple-Black

Red-Black

Magenta-Black

Blue-Black

Cyan-Black

Green-Black

Yellow-Black

Orange-Black

White-Black*

Pure Black

Pure White

Ect. Crystals. Plus more of a selection would be sexy too :3

Possible ability to do Heroic4 with 3 Companions? Would be nice and interesting or even having more than 1 companion out at a time on Illum?

I always wanted to do missions with all my companions at same time.

It would be fun to tackle a Boss and not have to micro manage all the Companions through the whole fight.

Or...

Let us done missions or PVP with companions. That even sound fun.

Edited by Metalmac

61 pages of completely positive feedback! Hence, you'll see this on the public test server on Monday and then it will hit live servers Tuesday.

61 pages of positive feedback?? I know there where alot of *** posts out there, lol I was one of them.

Nerf the game into the ground and then you have no game.

resolve system was terrible from the start, BW inherited mythic but were so emotionally invested in their terribad system that they ignored the simple elegance of immunity timers ala Warhammer Online.

actually if more people bothered to read this they would know that there is some tactic involved to resolve... though it would certainly help if resolve charged quicker OR remained with you after death.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=61363

The only change that I immediately see as good, is changing overload into a cone, as it was completely overpowered in huttball and utterly useless in PVE.

What?! Are you serious?? As a full time Sith Sorc PvE player I could not disagree with you more (and so would many many MANY other sith sorcs on my server - The Progenitor)

The idiotic "cone"overload/force wave is one of my main bones of contention with these upcoming changes. Things were just fine as they were.. In PvE it gave players a manner of getting a mob surrounding them of their back, and taking control of the fight.

Now it means that you can only push people who are both in front of you and far away - even further away! What good is that? to run away??!! Why do they keep trying making this class the most cowardly useless class ever?!

If there is a mob surrounding me i wont even be able to push half the people away, as since its a cone only the person directly in front of me will get pushed away... talk about completely useless!

If your only other concern is Huttball of all things than that is no reason to nerf an entire class. And dont get started on that rubbish like instant heal. it is NOT compensation.

Knocking people with overload in to the fire pit required a lot of skill and getting the timing just right considering the chaos that is PvP.

While im on it - no need to make the knockback come before the animation.... not only does that not make any sense it dumbs the skill down even further.

Edited by BaronV

And the following arent?:

*Immunity to stuns

*UR

*Tankassins running the ball

*Leaps

*Even sorc/sage pulls although I personally think that the use of this is exaggerated in normal warzones

*Grapple

*Roots

Overload/FW probably had the least amount of impact on huttball. It was at the same time one of the main life-savers for the squishiest class in the game. People will roll operatives now with the intent of only killing sorcs/sages.

+1 to this.

I am a sith sorc and I approve this message:.

What about the crazy amount of damage some of the DOTs do in pvp? It makes the grind for war hero gear not worth it. I don't know why you would make such a huge hp difference in the pvp gear. It would be nice to have an opt out of huttball (or other game modes) option for pvp too. There are getting to be to many huttball games being turned into a 15 minutes killfest ignoring the objective. It would be nice to have a no teams option for pvp too. Playing a premade half the time just is terrible. It would be nice to track loses too.

Now it means that you can only push people who are both in front of you and far away - even further away! What good is that? to run away??!! Why do they keep trying making this class the most cowardly useless class ever?!

Because if there was one lesson Bioware actually learned from Blizzard is that you should always take something totally awesome and nerf it into the ground.

Have to throw in my two cents and say that changing Overload to a cone is a terrible decision for both pvp and pve. I don't care that the range was extended when I'm being hit from the sides and behind while pvping, nor do I care about the range being extended when I'm being hit from the sides and behind while questing.

Unintended targets? Any enemy attacking me or my team that I can knock away is my intended target. I played in two of the testing rounds, and since the first day of early access. Not once on this forum (or any other) or in-game have I ever heard anyone complain about hitting an unintended target with Overload. The change is nonsensical.

Once this change goes live, two well-coordinated players will not be able to control a target for any longer than they ever were able to before.

I don't mean to put words in your mouth Allison. But right now when it comes to PvP I am seeing maurader/sentinels take on extensive time to kill in groups of 5 players allowing them ample time to dish out so much damage to wound and even kill a target if not then they stealth out and finish off any remaining ones they can find.

From what I am reading your saying it takes two well-coordinated players to take on a target who is unkillable because of the 99% damage or the stealth. Its really disheartening to play a Sith sorceror and be unable to do a damn thing with dual wield beast whacking your health down while wearing full battlemaster set which is 19 points of off warmaster. While your having trouble applying damage or escaping from them.

I just want to know if your also going to balance out the damage/survivability PvP stats of all classes and not throw in abilities like last time as a "fix".