Up to Date Lethality guide?

Octagon

So I'm a launch day player who has finally decided to get that Operative story line done. I'd never been able to get into the mechanics of either sniper or scrapper, but yesterday I started a Lethality OP and Holy Jesus it's fun.

Does anyone know of a current up to date PVP guide? Or at least be willing to share which Heroics and what rotation you are using?

Thanks for the help.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't really pvp, so I can only share what I do in a pve setting. Also, this is just a rotation that I use, I have friends that do things a little differently and parse just as well (and sometimes better :( ).

Here's a parse, if you want to see what I actually do: http://parsely.io/parser/view/337942/0

The thing I focus on is pinning my DoTs to my lethal strikes for convenience. You'll see people do this differently, but I try to keep it simple and just do something like:

Lethal Strike -> DoTs -> <Insert Filler Here> -> Lethal Strike -> <Insert Filler Here> -> Lethal Strike -> Dots -> Repeat

After that, it's simply a dance of getting as many tactical advantages (TA) you can to Corrosive Assault for days. A few things to keep in mind:

1) Stealth out for your Lethal strikes to get a TA. Grab the utility to get TA from holo traverse, and stim boost gives a TA as well. Remember that Stim Boost gives 10 energy (and an alacrity boost), so it can be well timed to save you from dropping below 60 energy.

2) Shiv isn't all that great, but you really want the proc it gives every 9s for the extra TA and free Corrosive Assault. Of course use it if there isn't anything better, but it's not something you always want to use off cooldown.

3) The way my rotation works, there will be gaps where you can't generate or spend tactical advantages. The way I see it there are 3 solid filler choices: Overload shot, Sever Tendon, and Rifle shot. Use rifle shot if you're watching your energy. A lot of people use overload shot as the other filler, but for some reason I have a soft spot for using sever tendon + the utility that grants TA. I'm still experimenting with this a bit actually.

4) For AoE, Lethality is simply terrible for weak mobs. For stronger mobs, I tend to throw a dart as the adds start to group up, Toxic Haze to spread dart as they start to clump, corrosive grenade when they're nicely mobbed, then Noxious Knives until only 2-3 are left standing. It won't beat a sniper, but it's actually pretty effective.

5) In a real fight, you still suffer from a lot of weaknesses that most melee dot specs have: range and target swapping. However, Lethality is still extremely effective at 10m range. Use this to your advantage to keep up strong dps on moving targets or to avoid circles. Also, your dots (and rifle shot) are 30m, so you can apply those as you are moving between targets and keep up your rotation more or less. Between the off heals (kolto probes) and the 30m dots, there is rarely an instance where you character is doing nothing in a fight.

6) Practice abusing the reflect damage on evasion. Won't make or break your dps, but it helps you keep up with your raid team's jugg if you're lucky :)

Anyways, that's just how I play my operative for PvE, definitely not the only way. Hope it helps a little.

The pve Guide is ok.

Imo lethality is in a good spot atm

The spread change with toxic haze is nice

Try to hit leth Strike before u spread. This will buff ur dots and the dmg done toxic haze

Keep in mind that leth Strike also buffs Hots

So with the Utility that makes Ur Instantheal a hot again U will get a big heal buff

Playing Solo will ne hard. In a group u will put out Crazy numbers

My startrotation looks like

Leth Strike (1ta) dart toxic haze (if enough people to spread) toxic blast, bomb , shiv and assault , gettin ta till Dot refresh. And leth Strike on cd. Keep in mind dots are for 24 sek. Toxic haze has 12 sek. So u have enough Time for Singletargetaction.

Lethality as well as concelment is ****ed atm, **** damage, mediore escape , not really much defensive anything, you have to spam kolto probe to live in PVP, it is sick just now fast the Monkeys ( maras, Juggs) for their jump fest,kill you.

Thanks Bioidiots for Nefing a great and fun class into the ground. :mad:

rotation

stealth

lethal strike

corrosive dart

corrosive grenade

toxic blast

2 corrosive assaults

shiv

2 more corrosive assaults

(you can insert a stim boost for a third corrosive assautl after the 2 following toxic blast totaling 5 for your opener)

lethal strike (if you opted for 5 corrosives you won't be able to use lethal strike at this point, will have to skip it to keep up your cd rotation)

shiv (end opener)

filler (for combat)

(starting from shiv) corrosive dart

corrosive grenade

toxic blast

2 corrosive assaults

shiv

2 more corrosive assualts

lethal strike

shiv (return to corrosive assault)

if your enemy are kind enough to group up use a TA for toxic haze.

roll twice not once, cause your heal has a 8 second cd, and your roll goes on 10 seconds if used twice in a row. (hard to time that 2 sec

utilities

skillful

aoe dmg reduction

5% dmg reduction

10 seconds off debilitate

masterful

3% dmg reduction for each probe on you (up to two)

heroic

stealth grants cleanse/dodge

counter measures purges movement/sleep dart will nerf dmg by 50% for 10 seconds

evasion cd is reduced by 3 seconds every time you take dmg

legendary

evasion grants reflect

good alternatives:

aoe dmg reduction/skillfull - lowered cd on stealth out/masterful

evasion on steath out/heroic - 20% dmg reduction on stim boost/legendary

taken from an old guide but it still aplies:

"Shrap Bomb or Vital Shot first?

This is the question I hear a lot and answer is: it barely matters. If you were playing Gunslinger Dirty Fighting, you probably have a habit of doing it in this order: Vital Shot ->Shrap Bomb in order to DoT-spread. In Ruffian your Shrap Bomb is actually better to go first – it places Assailable while Vital Shot places no debuff. Nonetheless, applying this debuff one GCD later hardly makes any difference, so if you don’t want to change your Dirty Fighting habit, keep it this way and don’t worry."

http://dulfy.net/2015/11/28/swtor-4-0-ruffian-scoundrel-guide-by-ironballs/#Rotation (note this is republic)

so if one wants to go really hardcore, i would recomend this: corrosive grenade then corrosive dart

rotation

stealth

lethal strike

corrosive dart

corrosive grenade

toxic blast

2 corrosive assaults

shiv

2 more corrosive assaults

(you can insert a stim boost for a third corrosive assautl after the 2 following toxic blast totaling 5 for your opener)

lethal strike (if you opted for 5 corrosives you won't be able to use lethal strike at this point, will have to skip it to keep up your cd rotation)

shiv (end opener)

filler (for combat)

(starting from shiv) corrosive dart

corrosive grenade

toxic blast

2 corrosive assaults

shiv

2 more corrosive assualts

lethal strike

shiv (return to corrosive assault)

You're wasting Lethal Strike DPS potential on opener :(

Or at least, I think you are.

I prefer to use this one:

Opener:

- > If starting combat from close range:

Shiv ->

Corrosive Grenade ->

Corrosive Dart ->

-> If starting combat from long range:

Corrosive Grenade ->

Corrosive Dart ->

Shiv ->

Toxic Blast -> Toxic Blast buff is up

Lethal Strike -> Lethal Strike buff is up

- If you want to Single Target go for this:

Corrosive Assault x2 ->

- If you want to AOE, go for this:

Toxic Haze->

Corrosive Assault x1 -> (on your main target)

Corrosive Assault x1 + Stim Boost ->

Corrosive Assault x1 -> Lethal Strike buff ends after this

Shiv ->

Corrosive Assault x1 -> Toxic Blast buff ends after this

Corrosive Assault x1 ->

Overload Shot / Fragmentation Grenade ->

Shiv ->

Corrosive Assault x1 ->

** Fall into rotation **

----------

Rotation:

Corrosive Grenade ->

Corrosive Dart ->

Shiv ->

- If Single Target go for this:

Corrosive Assault x3 ->

- If AOE go for this:

Toxic Haze ->

Corrosive Assault x2 -> (on your main target)

Filler -> Lethal Strike buff ends after this

(Priority system on Filler: Stim Boosted Corrosive Assault > Overload Shot / Fragmentation Grenade > Rifle Shot

Stim Boosted Corrosive Assault - You'll be able to fit one more corrosive Assault inside the sweet Lethal strike possible damage increase and it regenerates extra energy.

Fragmentation Grenade - if AOE

Overload Shot - if Single Target

Rifle Shot - 2 situations: 1: if out of energy, which will rarely happen but still this rotation is heavy demanding on resource, so I'd not be surprised; 2: if out of range in case of kiters)

Shiv ->

Corrosive Assault x1 -> Toxic Blast buff ends after this

Corrosive Assault x1 ->

Filler ->

Shiv ->

Corrosive Assault x1 ->

**Back to the start of rotation**

Notes comparing this rotation to yours:

1 - Yes, I waste the extra TA that you can get from opening with Lethal strike in trade for the later increased Critical Chance on Dots and increased Critical Damage on dots when I'm using 4 x Corrosive Assault which give a significant damage increase.

2 - You get more crippled if your opponent is capable of resetting your rotation, while in the one I suggested, most of the time, they reset on after the dots or Toxic blast, still leaving you with Lethal Strike and possibly Toxic Blast, in the case they panicked, when you go to refresh your dots. In this case, just reapply dots and continue the regular rotation.

3 - The rotation I presented is HEAVY on your resources, yes, but its the most bursty you can find, I believe.

4 - The best part related to the rotation I showed is that it can actually be versatile in the order of how you apply Shiv, Corrosive Grenade and Corrosive Dart. You can also try out and change some of the other abilities but what I am prioritizing in this one is dealing Burst damage rather than sustained. It's PvP, after all, not PvE.

5 - On the AOE parts on the opener and rotation, it is explain further down on the AOE only part.

Nevertheless, I may be wrong, of course, in the case of proper rotation, but I find myself doing much better on this one. This rotation is PvP oriented and definitly not friendly for PvE with the way it works even though I can deal almost reach 9.8k with it on dummy.

AOE only, just do this:

Corrosive Grenade ->

Corrosive Dart ->

Toxic Haze -> Toxic Haze AOE is up

Noxious Knives x2 ->

Noxious Knives x1 -> Lethal Strike buff and Toxic Haze AOE end simultaneously after this while Toxic Blast will stay for one more GCD

Noxious Knives benefit from Lethal Strike's increased Critical Chance on dots and increased Critical damage on dots. It is the only way that the attack is useful. Outside of that, no point, as it is just wasting time that you could have spent on focusing on your main target.

Still, even after this, I prefer to follow the default rotation as it pays more that way but I'll still leave this here just to clarify how AOE is handled.

Edited by memerobot

Also don't forget about the Circumvention utility for Holotraverse.

Generating TA on HT allows you to have a 5 CA round almost every other rotation, and with high enough alacrity and good timing you can squeze in 6 CA in the TB window when both Stim boost and Holotraverse are available.

Same for the sever tendon utility, of course, but I tend to prefer HT as a TA generator because of the movement speed buff, and the fact that it may bug at long range, and I like to have sever tendon available when I need it. For PVE it may be preferrable, though,)

When the target already has the shiv debuff (trying to run away) you can also open a rotation with Dart>Grenade>HT>TB, and I also like to use that extra TA from HT immediately for Toxic haze.

Edited by Mubrak

Also don't forget about the Circumvention utility for Holotraverse.

Generating TA on HT allows you to have a 5 CA round every 3 rotations, and with high enough alacrity and good timing you can squeze in 6 CA in the TB window when both Stim boost and Holotraverse are available.

That's actually pretty hard. And I believe you can get, at best, 5 TAs inside TB, no matter what order you use the ability. And Toxic Blast lasts for 10s (roughly longer than 6 GCDs but not enough to reach 7), assuming we are applying GCD of 1,5s. Toxic Blast is affected by alacrity as well, so even with shorter CDs, would be no different.

Shiv with Fatality = 2 TA

Toxic Blast = 1 TA

Sim Boost = 1 TA

Circumvention = 1 TA

If there's an alternative that can be used Off GCD, that's nice, but you'd have to use one ability to build TA inside TB, so yeah, 5. ^^

When the target already has the shiv debuff (trying to run away) you can also open a rotation with Dart>Grenade>HT>TB, and I also like to use that extra TA from HT immediately for Toxic haze.

I assume you are speaking PvE wise?

Edited by memerobot

That's actually pretty hard. And I believe you can get, at best, 5 TAs inside TB, no matter what order you use the ability. And Toxic Blast lasts for 10s (roughly longer than 6 GCDs but not enough to reach 7), assuming we are applying GCD of 1,5s. Toxic Blast is affected by alacrity as well, so even with shorter CDs, would be no different.

TB's active window stays at 10s, alacrity only affects the cooldown.

I assume you are speaking PvE wise?

No, in this case PVP, mobs rarely try to kite me in PVE :p

Edited by Mubrak

TB's active window stays at 10s, alacrity only affects the cooldown.

Pretty sure it affects the duration, as well.

Edit: Verifiying it now

Edit 2: Result: Aparently it does remains as 10s ( Good to learn stuff! I thank you for calling it out :) ). Nevertheless, I wouldn't bother since you are more benefitted from using Lethal Strike's potential than Toxic Blast's potential and because it is impossible to get the 6th Corrosive Assault. Why? Simple answer: Right before you start using Corrosive Assault, you will want to use Lethal Strike to take advantage of the enhanced DPS that it gives for the bursts.

Basically like this :

Shiv -> 0 TA + (1 TA + Fatality) = 2 TA

Toxic Blast -> (1 TA + Fatality) + 1 = 3 TA /// Toxic Blast buff is up

Corrosive Assault 3x -> 3 TA - 3 (from using Corrosive Assaults) = 0 TA

Stim Boosted Corrosive Assault -> 0 + 1 TA from SB = 1 TA -> 1 TA - 1(from using Corrosive Assault) = 0

Lethal Strike buff ends after this

HoloTraverse (proc TA) Corrosive Assault -> 0 + 1 TA from HT = 1 TA -> 1 TA - 1(from using Corrosive Assault) = 0 /// Toxic Blast will end in the next GCD after this one

After the HT + CA, you will have no more TA, thus no matter if you want to use an ability to build TA, you will be without Toxic Blast when the Corrosive Assault Burst comes.

Take note that I am NOT saying that Toxic blast is useless. It is just that Lethal Strike is a bigger opportunity for big damage. The ideal situation is having both up, of course.

No, in this case PVP

I don't think the HoloTraverse utility ( or whatever its called lol ) is that good. You could be sacrificing a lot, in other departments, if you ask me, but that's me. I usually take the Stim Boost heal + damage reduction Utility and Blow for Blow.

Edited by memerobot