Crafting Profession Changes in patch 1.1.2

GeorgZoeller

By progression you mean the ability to squash people without thinking? The gear improvement should be gradual enough that it is an improvement but doesn't change you from squishy to immortal. They aren't making it any less tedious to obtain the gear they are just making it more fun for the majority.

So you want to say, that 10 valor rank and 60+ valor rank should have almost no difference? No point is play on the main char when you ding 50 then.

The gap now is not so big, as whiners implying. W/o any champion piece i saw ~1200-1800 numbers, with battlemaster set i see 1900-2700 numbers. Go, tell me that is REALLY DAH BIGGEST IN DAH WHOLE WORLD DIFFERENCE for 60 valor ranks and the months of playing, right.

I'm a 63 valor rank Commando, ToFN, if it's matter.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see better organization for the crafts.

example:

+/- Base Green Armoring Model Level X

......+/- Blue armoring Model A

..............Purple Armoring Model A-A

..............Purple Armoring Model A-B

......+/- Blue Armoring Model B

..............Purple Armoring Model B-A

..............Purple Armoring Model B-B

+/- meaning it can be expanded and collapsed

That way you're not flooded with everything and looking forever for what you want. That and I think it would make it look a lot better. Cleaner.

Other then that, pulling armorings and such from end game purples makes customization easier.

Pants for Councillor/Inquisitor maybe? :D

Edit: Forgive me for the "..." don't know code for indent and it will not let me do it without it.

Edited by Maldeth

No, it doesn't make them viable, it makes their gear mandatory. No serious raider or pvper will be wearing the default raid or pvp gear with that patch. Crit crafted oranges will trump them in stats.

Bad move unless they plan to give that gear augment slots too. They should be on par, not better.

What they need, instead of crit-crafting (which could still also, provide them), is for a reliable way to add Augment slots to existing items, even ones dropped from bosses, bought for commendations etc. It is possibly the only way to make orange items and purple items equal in value, and give people maximum freedom and choice in combining stats with character looks. Right now purple items are better than modded orange ones, with these changes (+removable base mods+set bonuses from purple items) crit-crafted orange ones would be best, and both purple and non-crafted orange items would be behind.

Thus, I suggest every crafting profession receive the ability to create a consumable item that puts an Augment slot on any item of the type that profession typically produces:

ArmsTech - Blasters of all kinds, tech- vibro and electro-weapons

Artifice - Lightsabers and relics of all kinds

ArmorMech - All non-force-user armor

SynthWeave - All force-user armor

BioChem - All implants

Cybertech - All earpieces

Then, in addition all professions needs some unique profession-only perk that is really useful in the long run. BioChem has reusable version of what is consumable for others. So the other professions need something as powerful as that (and no, the Cybertech grenades are in no way comparable, too weak, too long of a cooldown, too situational. Buffing my stats or free instant heals are useful in any(!) environment). Maybe even get some inspiration of from what WoW does in this regard.

Biggest problem I'm having is with crafting.. it's great when leveling but as soon as you hit 50 it's useless.

For example..

Make a lot of crafted blue and level 50 items. (why so many lvl 49 ?)

You reverse engineer it 20 or more times to get a purple version. (anoying but I'm ok with it)

Then you make purple level 50 items, material cost is insane because it takes so long to run missions (underworld metal)

Then you try to reverse engiener those.. and if your lucky you get another purple ? (***!)

This is just wrong.. all that work and the only thing you get is a +20/+40 random stat.. no armor or anything special.

AND IT STILL SUCKS COMPARED TO PVP AND FLASHPOINT GEAR

PvP is terrible, you have created a model that rewards those without jobs. the gear difference is so great, and the grind to get it so long, most people get frustrated and quit the game.

End game PvP needs content, Alot of content. arenas, etc. more more more. 3 WZ is actually pretty terrible out of the gate, i would expect 5. the WZ idea is fantastic, but if this is your biggest sell, you will need more.

You should think about duelist trees, arenas, etc. group pvp that matters. I know you want to sell and make money, but forcing people to grind, grind, grind wont keep them here, giving them pure competition will. sure, add some new gear once a year, make the grind reasonable, and you will keep people coming back.

Next, DO NOT MAKE END GAME SCHEMATICS that require you HAVE to do Flashpoints. Some of us DONT like them. Alot of people love sitting around for hours waiting on people or fighting over gear, but alot do not.

one other thing, when you guys make your future content, either for pvp or for pve, remember alot of us love star wars, we grew up with it, but we are OLD lol, we have families and work. I want to be able to complete things but i cannot when they take hours upon hours and days upon days. through in a few easy accomplishments for us. thanks.

Some of the future content seems promising. However, most of the other crafting professions do not have enough unique max skill level items to craft that compare to PvP gear.

If the expertise stats from PVP gear would be on a mod/armor/enhancement slot and allow players to remove it and place it into crafted gear, there would be a reason to sell orange crafted gear at end game.

you are wrong i had this guy proof to me crafted tier 3 gear master crafted can compare to pvp armor and .. he is doing hard mode on his crafted armor.:p so pvp gear is only for those who want it if you want crafted you have to work hard to make tier 3 crafted gear :p. which is master crafted

Why don't you just remove all the classes, advanced classes and talent trees, all abilities except one that does 1 point of damage or healing to an enemy or friendly target at lvl 1 and 50 points of damage at lvl 50, and have no stats on equipment at all and remove all activated items completely? Then no one will whinge that they don't have the best toys.

Until this happens, people will complain that something they don't have is overpowered.

So you want to say, that 10 valor rank and 60+ valor rank should have almost no difference? No point is play on the main char when you ding 50 then.

The gap now is not so big, as whiners implying. W/o any champion piece i saw ~1200-1800 numbers, with battlemaster set i see 1900-2700 numbers. Go, tell me that is REALLY DAH BIGGEST IN DAH WHOLE WORLD DIFFERENCE for 60 valor ranks and the months of playing, right.

I'm a 63 valor rank Commando, ToFN, if it's matter.[/quote

i can't even follow this. write as though you want people to understand your message, not as though your talking to yourself.

Biggest problem I'm having is with crafting.. it's great when leveling but as soon as you hit 50 it's useless.

For example..

You reverse engineer it 20 or more times to get a purple version. (anoying but I'm ok with it)

Then you make purple level 50 items, material cost is insane because it takes so long to run missions (underworld metal)

Then you try to reverse engiener those.. and if your lucky you get another purple ? (***!)

This is just wrong.. all that work and the only thing you get is a +20/+40 random stat.. no armor or anything special.

try getin master crafted purple gear :p. then you change your tone. its better then pvp armor :p.

Hi,

As part of this effort, specifically for PvP, we are also working on changes that will reduce the gear related power difference between new characters at level 50 and players in full PvP gear. We feel that at the current time, this difference is too high.

Regards

Georg

Not approved!

Feel free to use this thread to give us your feedback on the topic!

Hi Georg,

Many thanks for this update! Lots of excellent news here; I'm particularly excited by the possibility of critical crafting successes on orange outfits, particularly when combined with extractable base mods; I think that will drive much more diversity of appearance, as players gravitate towards what they think looks good rather than everyone wearing the same gear at end game. One thing that I'd love to see that you don't mention here is a way to learn specific orange patterns; I know on my Agent that I've been trying to find a schematic to make a moddable jacket in a particular pattern, and it would be great to have a way to do this--perhaps by having a rare critical crafting result that supplies, in addition to the item being crafted, a pattern book which could then be used on any other armor piece to destroy that armor but create a schematic for a fully moddable version of it. Being able to hunt down particular patterns in such a way would be pretty great.

The biggest changes I'd like to see to crafting, though, revolve around the UI. Between the crafting panel and the GTN, there are a huge number of little annoyances that make crafting much less appealing. I'll start with the crafting panel:

• The only division of the Armormech list is into Heavy or Medium armor. This gives a dauntingly large list of patterns.
  • Orange patterns don't show up as orange; they show up as blue.
  • There's no way to filter by slot.
  • There's no way to type in the name of a piece.

As far as the GTN goes:

• It doesn't remember what I was just looking for if I close it.
  • I can't have more than two screens open at a time.
  • It doesn't tell me if the schematics on the GTN are ones that I already know.
  • It doesn't let me preview a schematic to see what the resulting piece looks like.
  • Filtering for schematics is not as robust as it could be (what if I only want schematics for stuff my level 18 Bounty Hunter alt can wear?)

What this means is that if I'm browsing the GTN for new schematics and I see one that I may or may not have, I hit N to bring up my crew skill window, so that I can from there open up my Armormech panel to see if I have the schematic. Opening the Armormech panel closes the GTN (because I can only have two windows up). Then I have to poke through the whole list of all the heavy armor I can make(because I didn't remember to look at what the level requirement on the item produced was). When I finally determine that I don't have that schematic, I then have to open the GTN again, select schematics, select Armormech, hit search, and flip through to page 4 where that schematic was. If I'm lucky it's still there and I can buy it, and then I have to repeat the process for the next one I see that I'm interested in. Pretty clunky.

Thanks for opening up this thread for input, and for all your great info!

For gods sakes make the GTN an actual GTN. Galactic means galaxy wide, do you devs not understand this? Put republic and imperial auctions into one market please.

Don't even tell me to look at the HTN on nar shadda, like maybe 1% of my server population even tries to use that. Merge all the auction markets into one and put terminals on every planet.

Hell, allow us to search, list and make purchases from our ship, for gods sakes last I checked this was a scifi game? I can already do this stuff in real life from my damn phone people!

It would be nice if they still taught comprehension in schools:

For example..

* better reverse engineering chance

* acquisition cost of purple mission materials on our live servers

Even ignoring the fact that you have failed to understand that +20/+40 on a stat is FAR better than an increased armour rating:

* extractable basemods (armoring, barrel, etc.) from purple items

* critical crafting successes on orange outfits

* increased relevance of augments

Maybe this needs some explanation. You will be able to extract ALL the mods from the best endgame gear and transfer them into a crafted orange item, so that it has the exact same stats. HOWEVER, if your orange item was critically crafted, you can also add an (improved) Augment, making the crafted item BETTER than the best raid gear.

The main potential drawback I see from this is that critically crafted orange items become required for min/max. Thus, endgame cosmetics are lost.

Edited by FrostyDroid

Major changes are currently on schedule for the next major content patch, such as extractable basemods (armoring, barrel, etc.) from purple items, critical crafting successes on orange outfits, more bind-on-equip schematic drops for artifice and other professions, increased relevance of augments, better reverse engineering chance, and other improvements. We want to create significant incentive for players to engage in the crafting economy – as provider of goods or supplier - without requiring players to take up a specific profession as a ticket into endgame.Georg

First of all, thank you for all these changes. I was about to give up hope, but this shows that you are working on the issues that exist. I have one input to the above red highlight:

We will have to craft a large number of orange gear to get these crits, please let us reverse engineer orange gear to recover some resources. Orange gear without an augment slot will be very difficult to sell.

I think Bioware is missing the point regarding Biochem. You see people flocking en masse to Biochem, think it's OP and nerf the Rakata stuff. The reality is that even though you have nerfed it into equivalent power with Energized/Exotech stuff, I'd still never consider dropping Biochem for another profession, one quick glance is all I need to know that they're not even worth it.

Free stims/medpack that I never need to keep crafting and can rebuff myself whenever I want? Yes please, I use that stuff so frequently I can't envision having a limited quantity.

Craft myself some epics when I'm already decked out in Columi or Champion gear that I can't mod (and wouldn't want to, since the mods in it are far superior)? No thanks. There's no comparison.

And that is what Bioware should be looking at. Why do players show a disinterest in the other crafting professions? It's not because Biochem offers "so much more" power... It's because it's the only one that does.

The solution was not to further nerf Biochem, but to improve the other crafting professions and give them some kind of gimmick/gadget/stuff that can be used to increase your combat effectiveness. People like that sort of thing. If you want to craft things, it's going to be on a crafter alt, your main gets the good professions that have useful combat-related stuff. You'd think you would've known this, since WoW (much as I loathe it) already did it in the form of things like letting Blacksmiths put extra sockets in their gear, Engineering gadgets, Leatherworking embossing, and so forth. This means all professions are useful in combat in different ways, making players decide which is the most useful to them and their role in the game. It's a more tactical decision, but all of them offer a surprisingly equal stat bonus.

Players can already get gear through so many other avenues, and that epic gear naturally has mods in it. Currently we can't replace the Armoring in those epics (but that sounds like it'll be changing in the next major content patch, which while awesome will further compound this issue)... but the big problem is that players can't create BETTER mods.

So for example, when I was a new 50 and didn't have any good PvE or PvP leggings, I took a duplicate Champion chest token and ripped out the epic (56) Mod and Enhancement, bought a Belsavis Daily Commendation epic Armoring off the vendor for an easy 8 commendations, and put all that in some orange legs. It was better than Tionese, and only lacking in the Expertise found on Champions -- and it was better than anything a player could craft for me, so I never bothered to go seek someone out to pay them to craft something for me. And that right there is the problem, Bioware.

Other than making a little money selling stuff on the GTN (and I think it's a no-brainer that while money is nice, credits have nothing over a boost in combat effectiveness), people don't really want much of what those crafting professions produce, therefore people have a poor opinion of them and don't take those professions as often on their primary characters and don't recommend them to guildmates. Therefore all that's left is "How is this profession useful at endgame, then?" And the professions other than Biochem (and Cybertech for the grenades, despite the ridiculous 5min cooldown)... are simply not useful.

Edited by Luxora

I feel strange.

Even before early access start I decided to pick slicing and biochem.

Slicing - nerfed.

Biochem - nerfed 2 times already.

Then I spend time on warzones to get BM with sniper lol class.

They introduce Ilum lol patch - viola there come War Heroes in greens, who get their valor level by botting near rep base and clicking class buff on macroes (of course that hobo nabs get demolished in warzones).

Man, is there any incentive to put efforts in something in this game, cause tomorrow it will be nerfed to the ground or made no difference?

And i don't like biochem's change. Slicing already is almost useless, let's make biochem same! Why you nerfing rakata's items step by step? What's point in 400 biochem now?

slicing almost useless? are you and me playing the same game? I'm pulling in a ridiculous number of crafting missions from every 5x run of slicing missions i send out. In the past 24 hours ive shot my balance up from 36k to 1m...what are you doing?

Man, is there any incentive to put efforts in something in this game, cause tomorrow it will be nerfed to the ground or made no difference?

Welcome to MMOs.

The rule of MMOs: never pick something that looks good, because it will be nerfed, always pick something that looks bad, because it will be buffed.

Edited by FrostyDroid

slicing almost useless? are you and me playing the same game? I'm pulling in a ridiculous number of crafting missions from every 5x run of slicing missions i send out. In the past 24 hours ive shot my balance up from 36k to 1m...what are you doing?

This, plus:

* increased relevance of augments

Augments are going to be required to max out endgame gear.