Operation: Giradda's Palace

Journeyer

This is a pretty awesome idea.

To top it off, lwets say tier 1 is XXX boss, whether you do solo, 4 man, 8 man or 16 man. just his HP/ damage etc scales to the group.

But to make it interesting, Bioware being the RNG god that they are, they could have the bosses special abilities completely random each time. Whether he shields and requires you to position him for dps (ala Soa) or summons adds at particular points, or has missile barrages or stomps etc.

Just so you dont rinse and repeat everytime you go in there, it makes it that much different due to you not knowing what special abilities he is going to have.

Just dropped into the General Dicussion to find this chunk of GOLD in the suggestions box.

Maybe if possible, add environmental challenges ( I know, some people hate this stuff, but just a thought) into the upper tier boss fights? Say this will depend on the class you play. Say if you when in there solo as a Guardian or Warrior the boss moves around and make you Charge over stuff and such. Or with a group if you have a Sorc/Sage in your group the environment change and said Sorc/Sage have to be ready for it and position so they could pull the rest of the group to a certain point. That's just the basic thought though. Sounds complicated now that I reread it. :\

This is a great idea. However, we all know that all swtor content has a story and it has to work into the star wars universe. So why do you have to fight in this arena? Where is it taking place? I think Tatooine, Nar Shaddaa, or Belsavis would make the most sense for this kind of an operation. Maybe captured by Tusken Raiders, Mandalorians, Hutts, Prisoners, Rakata, or Eshka and forced to fight for their entertainment? I don't know if they would want another Hutt operation so soon though. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, hm. I've never played WoW. Why was it unpopular?

I listed some reasons why I think this sort of content could help keep players playing, and I'm already seeing forum posts about how Nightmare Denova isn't coming fast enough... Do you think that this sort of thing would not help with the bleeding edge folks?

• 2 weeks later...
I love this idea! It sounds like a lot of fun for a long time. I don't know if anyone suggested it already, but you could throw this up on the suggestion box forum. hat might get BW attention, and if that doesn't work just go into customer service in your account and send them an email with that suggestion, basically keep 'poking them with a stick' until they acknowledge it.

• 4 weeks later...

You know what makes this sound the most fun? THE LEADERBOARDS.

Why can't any MMO company get this through their heads? People LOVE organized competition. People love to have something solid to aim for, like a ranking on a leaderboard. If not to be the best among all the other players, then to beat their own times and scores. It's like the Olympics and competiting to beat a World Record, but in video games. I know if I could compare myself to the other players by something other than the gear I wear, I would have so much more interest in this game.

People stand around in the fleet to show off their gear, because that is their only way to compare accomplishments after the fact. When WoW added their Achievement System people went NUTS trying to get all the achievements. I think that alone is what saved the game and made it last as long as it has. Without it I think the game would have died a few years ago. I really would love to pull up a leaderboard in game or on the website and see my character's name and ranking in comparison to all the other players who are also competing.

It makes all the time and effort spent in game feel like it was worth something, like I achieved something. It gives playing the game a sense of self-worth. I play SWTOR because I am the best on my server. Or I'm the best in the world. Don't believe me? Well check the leaderboards. BAM! Right there it says how great you are compared to the other players. Do you think competition games like Battlefield 3 would be as popular if people weren't able to see their rankings online in real-time? No, they wouldn't.

And MMO players love to brag. Boy do they ever love it. Everyone wants to stand out, and that is why they try to get the best gear, or the most unique looking gear. It's the only way they have to show every other player their skill and/or uniqueness. But really, all you need to do to win every competitive player over is build in some sort of Leaderboard competition. The PVP stats attempted this but failed miserably because it doesn't put you into a ranking with other players.

Anyone remember grinding for Grand Marshal or High Warlord back in Vanilla WoW pvp? If you had it, you KNEW you were the best since only one person could have it at a time. That is all I am saying, give the players something solid to look at and see their in-game "worth". Rankings and leaderboards would renew so much player interest in this game, because then it goes from casual fun to competitive fun.

If people don't have someone to compete against, they lose interest fast. It's one of the basic human needs: To compete against their fellow man. Simple as that.

• 2 weeks later...
=) Thank you kindly~~

I do agree about the name. I'm not as familiar as I perhaps ought to be with other wealthy and highly reputable beings around the galaxy, but I assume the Bioware Gaming Clan would know of a suitable set of potential sponsors to approach :D

If only there were some way to get their opinions on the matter~

How about "The Arena of Death"

I do agree that the name is a bit too similar to Karagga's Palace, but I really like the fact that Giradda would have his own operation and I think that the name should still have "Giradda's" in it. Maybe Giradda's Arena? Some other thoughts:

Giradda's Pit

The Giradda Trials

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea!!! It's like the Zombie Apocalypse mode fom an FPS game I'm playing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, in the lore there is a gladiator-themed competitions for Mandalorians and that's where, I think, Mandalore the Indomitable was discovered (please correct me if I'm wrong I forgot the names). Maybe change the theme to be Mandalorian-ish and ... Might as well allow mixed factions in the arena as ONE Ops group.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:D I've added a note at the top, that this arena could be initially introduced as a beatable scenario for an Operations boss, and then unlocked as a repeatable leaderboard scenario per the description. Just in case Bioware is looking for some story-driven ways to bring this thing to life :)

(Old data leaks indicated something with a planet Varl, some Hutts, Dread Masters...how about this in the mix?)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I like this idea! :D It could be called 'Giradda's Arena' so it doesn't sound as close to Karagga's Palace. Or Drooga could host it, he likes entertainment. I like the idea of using Giradda though. We only know he hosts Huttball, he might host this, which would show that he hosts fights for entertainment.