SWTOR no longer going to Star Wars Celebration??

Crenshinibon

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no earthly idea why someone would shell out hundreds of dollars just to go see a single trade show booth for a game that costs $15.00 a month, regardless of how much you like the game. That just boggles my mind.

That said, obviously things have changed, and I doubt the people in the marketing department had any control over it whatsoever. When the new numbers came out, they probably went into triage mode and determined that GamesCom 2012 would be a much better opportunity to promote the game than SW Celebration VI.

It is vitally important that you understand your position in relation to this company. They have made no expressed or implied warranties that anything they say is set in stone and that they can be held accountable when dates change or plans change. Their responsibility is to adhere to the Terms of Service and provide you with 30 days of game access for every month's subscription that you purchase.

They owe you nothing more than this, regardless of what you may believe.

Please govern yourselves accordingly in the future. And treat it like gambling. If you're shelling out hundreds of dollars to travel across the country just to see a game company's trade show booth to find out information 2 days ahead of everyone else, my advice is that you make sure that money really isn't necessary elsewhere in your life, and that you are prepared to lose it, or attend the event for some other purpose, if plans change.

Star Wars? ToR? Really now. If you'd be playing this game without seeing the title screen, would you think "Star Wars" c'mon now, take the red pill.

So... Jedi, Sith, smugglers, troopers, blasters, lightsabers, droids, Corellian starships, star destroyers, asteroid fields, Imperial Navy versus Galactic Republic, Coruscant, Hoth, Tatooine, Alderaan, Ord Mantell, rancors, gundarks, tauntauns, dewbacks.... you're right, I have no idea why anyone ever connected this game to the Star Wars universe.

They have absolutely nothing in common!

So... Jedi, Sith, smugglers, troopers, blasters, lightsabers, droids, Corellian starships, star destroyers, asteroid fields, Imperial Navy versus Galactic Republic, Coruscant, Hoth, Tatooine, Alderaan, Ord Mantell, rancors, gundarks, tauntauns, dewbacks.... you're right, I have no idea why anyone ever connected this game to the Star Wars universe.

They have absolutely nothing in common!

It could be the tauntauns, they are too short, which throws everything off. :eek:

I have no earthly idea why someone would shell out hundreds of dollars just to go see a single trade show booth for a game that costs $15.00 a month, regardless of how much you like the game. That just boggles my mind.

That said, obviously things have changed, and I doubt the people in the marketing department had any control over it whatsoever. When the new numbers came out, they probably went into triage mode and determined that GamesCom 2012 would be a much better opportunity to promote the game than SW Celebration VI.

It is vitally important that you understand your position in relation to this company. They have made no expressed or implied warranties that anything they say is set in stone and that they can be held accountable when dates change or plans change. Their responsibility is to adhere to the Terms of Service and provide you with 30 days of game access for every month's subscription that you purchase.

They owe you nothing more than this, regardless of what you may believe.

Please govern yourselves accordingly in the future. And treat it like gambling. If you're shelling out hundreds of dollars to travel across the country just to see a game company's trade show booth to find out information 2 days ahead of everyone else, my advice is that you make sure that money really isn't necessary elsewhere in your life, and that you are prepared to lose it, or attend the event for some other purpose, if plans change.

I can't speak for the OP, but I most certainly did not plan my trip just for SWTOR. I am taking a 4 day vacation in Orlando, only 1 of which I will be spending at Celebration VI, and only part of that had been dedicated to SWTOR. That being said, the implication that Bioware will have a presence, and it would be a big event, was major motivation for taking this vacation.

I am fully aware of my position in relation to EA and Bioware and they are fully within their rights to cancel events that they commit to. I never said they owe me anything, as I am not trying to sue them or go to arbitration (as per the terms of service since you waive your right to go to court - different topic though).

However, EA and Bioware should be aware of their position in relation to their fanbase and paying customers and good or ill will their actions can generate. And my position is that a good developer sees through the commitments it makes - Bioware and EA did not, and in my opinion they have relegated themselves from the upper tier of developers. For many this already happened, but for me, despite a struggling game, it was not until this happened that I felt EA-Bioware was being unprofessional and performed a disservice to its fan-base and remaining paying customers.

EA and Bioware don't owe me anything - and I don't owe them anything either.

Neither myself nor the OP expressed anything but frustration and sadness at the events that occurred. Not once did we expect Bioware pay for the tickets we had purchased or compensate us in any way, so riding in here on your high horse explaining the concept of entitlement is wholly misplaced.

Ray Muzyka (co-founder of Bioware) tweeted about being at SWCVI. Looks like decision was made by people under him, since he hadn't heard of it.

Dunno if anything will happen, but at least somebody at the top took notice.

Tweet reads:

Thanks for the note - first I'd heard of it. I passed on your note to the team for clarification.
Edited by QuickBunnie

Folks, I wanted to follow up a bit regarding Celebrations. We do apologize for any inconvenience but our dev team is hard at work on the game, and we just couldn’t spare the staff. We just completed Comic-Con and are preparing to attend Gamescom in Germany next week. Stay tuned for updates about future events.

You should still make it happen. Your fan-base is dying, day one 6-month subs are about to expire. Man up, stand by the commitment your company made, be professional. Don't bring many devs, just repeat the booth you're setting up at Gamescom.

SWTOR at Celebration VI. Make it happen.

Again this is nothing but insulting to a lot of the star wars fans out there... Its been 4 years since the last one and will probably be another 4 years till the next. And your excuse is we can't pare the staff. For many of us that make zero sense since this game is call STAR WARS and your not going to the ONLY all STAR WARS event for the last 4 years. that make no sense at all and never will. this is EXACTLY way you have zero creditability with the fanbase right now. Your ignoring the single most important event of the year for the entire franchise.

and like I said before I know people who gave up going to San Diego Comic Con because of how important this is. And yet your blowing it off like it was nothing of consequence.

Folks, I wanted to follow up a bit regarding Celebrations. We do apologize for any inconvenience but our dev team is hard at work on the game, and we just couldn’t spare the staff. We just completed Comic-Con and are preparing to attend Gamescom in Germany next week. Stay tuned for updates about future events.

Its classic, the only star wars mmo out and it cancels 2 weeks before the celebration.

it is beyond pathetic... someone should be getting fired over this. I hope Lucas Licensing and Lucas Arts is not happy about that. and I certainly hope that they light a fire under the devs butts to get them moving again. there is just no plausible excuse for this. I think its because they don't want to face a crowd of very unhappy people.. I think the devs just want to hide in their office and not face reality.

You should still make it happen. Your fan-base is dying, day one 6-month subs are about to expire. Man up, stand by the commitment your company made, be professional. Don't bring many devs, just repeat the booth you're setting up at Gamescom.

SWTOR at Celebration VI. Make it happen.

they told you no so deal with it.

I dunno but... "hard at work on the game" sounds far more promising than "attending celebrations".

Maybe if they gave up Gamescom too, I'd believe them. I don't. They've chosen to highlight the gaming portion over the Star Wars portion. That's their choice, we'll see if it bites them in the buttox. Frankly, I agree with many, many other. Why would you go to Celebration will you will no doubt face a slew of detractors, as opposed to Gamescom where you can blend into the gaming convention a bit easier?

Edited by Rikalonius

"the dev team is busy" means that they fired too many people and they spend all their time working on the new cash shop.

Honestly star wars fans probably already knew about this game and they either bought it or not at launch. This isn't really a game you can market towards kids like other star wars titles and for the older star wars fans an MMO is likely something outside their interests.

Trying to make veiled excuses doesn't really do anything to help the fans though. Just say the truth that in terms of marketing and making money that going to celebration doesn't have much to offer. They can easily get those casual star wars fans back once the game actually shifts to F2P and they start marketing it again in november.

All of the other star wars news is going to overshadow anything that the swtor team could throw out and not be worth the time and money to send people to Celebration.

"the dev team is busy" means that they fired too many people and they spend all their time working on the new cash shop.

Honestly star wars fans probably already knew about this game and they either bought it or not at launch. This isn't really a game you can market towards kids like other star wars titles and for the older star wars fans an MMO is likely something outside their interests.

Trying to make veiled excuses doesn't really do anything to help the fans though. Just say the truth that in terms of marketing and making money that going to celebration doesn't have much to offer. They can easily get those casual star wars fans back once the game actually shifts to F2P and they start marketing it again in november.

All of the other star wars news is going to overshadow anything that the swtor team could throw out and not be worth the time and money to send people to Celebration.

Well stated.