Vanguard: Tanking and You

Escaflownae

yea ion jolts seem to be messed up. still took the point because i didnt know what else to put it in.

For HM, i tank with improved riot strike, as the 6 second riot strike means you can interrupt a spell from ever being casted by a boss, as it will lock out for 4 seconds, and your riot strike will just come off cooldown while they try and cast the spell again, for me that mitigates alot more damage than some extra shield %.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GorrdoroGZMsrbo.1

tried without gut, but i felt the extra damage move filled the gap sometimes. (and its nice to have another ability :p )

also i disagree with using sticky grenade, the damage is too low to be worth 2 ammo. id rather use the extra ammo and whack out a pulse cannon vs groups, as its the most damage-ammo move we have, not to mention we can recharge ammo whilst its channeling.

another thing, i dont agree gut is better than energy blast. how can it ever be? energy blast GIVES an energy cell, meaning you can dish out more damage. Gut costs 2 energy meaning you get less chance to use abilities.. not to mention gut can only be used every 15 seconds to be effective. Even though gut offers more damage than energy blast, is that extra damage worth 3 ammo potential by using energy blast instead?

Edited by zebrawizard

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it's not a good guide. It's outdated and hasn't been kept up.

Good point

OP does say "last update 20-Feb-2012"

Would be nice if a good vanguard tank grabbed the relay stick and re-started an up-to-date Vanguard tanking guide.

I just rolled one and am progressing, I'd be looking forward to a new guide

• 7 months later...

Let this thread die. There is so much bad information here, some of it is just flat out wrong. Even at the time of its original posting.

If you are a newbie Vanguard tank do not live and die by this guide at all.

• 2 months later...

Not convinced by the skill tree. I'd dump the following personally:

• Defensive Measures - this is really a PvP ability; don't think it has any benefit in PvE
  • Neural overload - you hardly ever do Ion Cell damage
  • Scrap Satchel - again more useful in PvP rather than PvE. ES is a relatively expensive talent, so only really worth using the 2 free charges you get from Storm.

Should definitely have 3 points in Focused Impact as High Impact Bolt should be a key part of the rotation, especially as given Supercharged Ion Cell it does damage to several targets against mobs.

I'd also personally put the other two points into Heavy Stock as again Stockstrike should be a key part of the rotation so doing added damage will increase DPS and maintain threat.

Not convinced by the skill tree. I'd dump the following personally:

• Defensive Measures - this is really a PvP ability; don't think it has any benefit in PvE
  • Neural overload - you hardly ever do Ion Cell damage
  • Scrap Satchel - again more useful in PvP rather than PvE. ES is a relatively expensive talent, so only really worth using the 2 free charges you get from Storm.

Should definitely have 3 points in Focused Impact as High Impact Bolt should be a key part of the rotation, especially as given Supercharged Ion Cell it does damage to several targets against mobs.

I'd also personally put the other two points into Heavy Stock as again Stockstrike should be a key part of the rotation so doing added damage will increase DPS and maintain threat.

Good constructive criticism I love it thanks. I'll try that out tonight and see how it plays.

I tried the spec last night and I realized that I linked the wrong torhead skill build in the guide. Typically I use a build similar to that. At this point I've been experimenting going deeper into the tactics tree to get tactical tools and augmented cells to try other things. I've also been working on pvp hybrid specs that are decent enough for tanking flashpoints but still powerful in pvp.

If anyone sees anything that is not correct or think they want to add something please let me know. Lets use this guide to help build a better community of tanks.

Be constructive and try to not flame others if they make suggestions.

Remember don't feed the trolls.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Why on earth is Pulse Cannon not in either the Single target or the Multiple Target rotation? Even unproced its good damage vs. the ammo its consuming.

I second this, though I only use Pulse Cannon when I get the free 1.5 second cast.

I would like to know why Storm -> Stock Strike -> Hammer Shot?

Why not Storm -> Stock Strike -> High Impact Bolt -> Hammer Shot?

Storm doesn't take ammunition and Stock Strike doesn't take so much ammunition that you're not losing full regen by the time you do High Impact Bolt.

Though I think a bigger problem is that the links you have for builds seem to be level 47 ones, at least from what I see.

On a side note, why Explosive Surge 2x after a Storm? You'd be at full ammo, when you could do Pulse Cannon or Mortar Volley then hit the 2 explosive Surges while your ammunition regenerates. (because your build suggestion says you spec into Static Surge)

Edited by unluckyperson

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Apologies for a necro, but since this is stickied and so prominent in the forum, I just had to say something.

I find it absolutely shocking that unless I missed something, only ONE poster directly referred to the idea that Energy Blast boosts your absorb by a whopping 25%. Sure, some of the hardest hitting mob moves end up cutting right past shield, but there are plenty of situations where the tank is drawing tons of shieldable damage. Energy refund, AND absorb? Really hard to justify passing this up.

Not that it really matters in the 3.0 world, with the way disciplines are set up. However, any new folks just reading the first post and a few pages here and there NEED to know that EB is not just damage & energy refund.

Apologies for a necro, but since this is stickied and so prominent in the forum, I just had to say something.

I find it absolutely shocking that unless I missed something, only ONE poster directly referred to the idea that Energy Blast boosts your absorb by a whopping 25%. Sure, some of the hardest hitting mob moves end up cutting right past shield, but there are plenty of situations where the tank is drawing tons of shieldable damage. Energy refund, AND absorb? Really hard to justify passing this up.

Not that it really matters in the 3.0 world, with the way disciplines are set up. However, any new folks just reading the first post and a few pages here and there NEED to know that EB is not just damage & energy refund.

My friend is the one who wrote this guide and cracked up on TS about your post, outdated guide is outdated. He hasn't played in a very very long time.

And yes, I posted here so he can get a notification in his email.

/poke.

My friend is the one who wrote this guide and cracked up on TS about your post, outdated guide is outdated. He hasn't played in a very very long time.

And yes, I posted here so he can get a notification in his email.

/poke.

LOL thanks for giving him the heads-up. And yes, I *did* notice how long ago the last update was, but it's still stickied and pretty much the first thing in the class forum here. It was too prominent not to say something, I thought.

Your friend can laugh all he wants - I still think it's a terrible idea to put forth a vanguard tanking class guide specifically for newer players and never once mention EB has a huge mitigation aspect to it. The only excuse would be if EB had no mitigation bonus attached to it at the time this guide was still being updated, but as far as I remember EB always had that 25% abs boost. Could be wrong about that though, and apologies if I am.

I also second the idea of getting this un-stickied until it's updated for 3.x.