Why is there a level 55 training dummy on my level 33 character's ship?

Pre-2.0:

Training dummies on your personal starship (unlocked through Legacy) were scaled to match current character level.

Post-2.0:

Training dummies on your personal starship are level 55. At every level.

This basically defeats the point of the Legacy unlock for me, since my primary interest in the game is leveling through all the different Class stories. The dummies provided a great way to experiment with different specs, rotations, etc. while figuring out a new class as I leveled up.

Now, it's just useless ornamentation... until level 55. It's even useless for all my level 50 characters.

Seeing "Dodge Dodge Dodge Dodge Miss Resist Dodge Miss Resist Dodge Miss Resist Dodge Miss Resist" = useless object.

Please revert Personal Starship training dummies back to scaling with character level.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunately its working as intended.

But they need to change this. Many ppl would say that you need this only at endgame , to check your dps. But it is an mmo and mmo's are all about fun, its not a job. If a person wants to have fun beating a training dummy at lower levels , why not ?

If the dummy is lv 55, u cant even hit him with dots, or sticky grenades, explosive probes etc, so u cant test and play with your rotation, specs etc.

The way the dummy is right now, he even evades before u complete a skill cast.

I'll be that guy:

What purpose does the dummy serve pre-55? I posit that the dummies exist to maximize DPS potential for content in which DPS potential is necessary (HMs and OPs). Am I missing something?

Does seem like the personal ship dummies should always match your level. I guess there is still the convenience appeal of having them be in your ship rather than on fleet, but that's about 1/10th of the value that people bought them at a time when they scaled to your level.

I didn't realize they were originally scalable -- I never thought to unlock it on any of my toons, but knowing it "was" scalable would've made me get it!

Have you plopped in a ticket in the game? I'm optimistic that this is a bug, as the patch notes don't say anything about removing a feature like that...

Any to anyone else -- really? Why does it matter. . . there is never a good reason to take away a feature as simple as this. Isn't it a "training dummy" and not an "operations-specific" dummy?

I just think that issues should be prioritized. Since the Dummy serves no purpose sub-55, I would rate this issue low on priority is all.

Two things. . . .

Your OPINION is that is serves no purpose. That doesn't mean you get to decide on priorty.

Most importantly, though -- this is what we call (hopefully) a bug. Pre-2.0 it was working the way we agree it should work, and scaling. Post-2.0 it is NOT.

And issue like this should be near the "top" of a priority queue of bugs, because it should be a 5 minute fix for an intelligent QA/Dev.

I just think that issues should be prioritized. Since the Dummy serves no purpose sub-55, I would rate this issue low on priority is all.

They do serve a purpose pre-55. They allow people to experiment with their classes at whatever level they happen to be and find a way to increase their DPS.

They do serve a purpose pre-55. They allow people to experiment with their classes at whatever level they happen to be and find a way to increase their DPS.

Agreed, Also to learn a rotation, or which spec you like and especially if you play multiple classes/ACs.

The bottom line is. If it's not broken why fix it?

Edited by KingpinDragon

Exactly. I found it very useful to test out abilities and to see how much damage combos had. I paid for them with real money, I expect to get what I paid for.

It serves as much purpose sub-55 as it does at 55: a target you can practice on.

People want to practice or experiment with their skills/abilities for reasons other than maximizing an endgame Ops DPS readout. For me, I'm new to the game, exploring all the different classes/stories, and I really like the insight the ship dummy provides.

Trying to get a grip on a class' resource system / spec rotations / ability nuances in the field or in FPs isn't the same because of all the extra distractions/pressures. I find I play a lot better after spending some time figuring out things peacefully at the training dummy.

Now I have to go all the way to Kaas City or Ziost Shadow to have a training dummy I can actually hit. I feel like I wasted the money I spent on the Legacy unlock.

Its more useful for endgame ? yes.

But like i said, its not a job for me. Its a game, and im not worried about tweaking my dps. I just want to have a chance to test different mechanics and test builds.

Edited by denisabc

I don't recall being in many operations at lvl 33.....

But i recall doing many WZ at lv 33... 34 , 35, and so on. And the WZ training dummy is having the same "issue" btw.

For those saying that its a stupid luxury... so they should remove the cosmetic outfits which doesn't add anything to your playability too etc. In the end we will be all playing RTS games thinking this way.

Edited by denisabc

So just by being level 55 you can no longer hit it? If your parses get lower on the level 55, that shouldn't matter. What matters is whether Parse A is bigger or smaller than Parse B. If the second parse is better, you are improving.

Now if the dummy is evading and not accepting dots, that's got to be a bug.

Unfortunately, I think this is intentional since it was mentioned in the patch notes despite it being a completely stupid change. It's also a pointless change since by the time you'd need a lvl 55 dummy it would have been that anyway. They may be old content, but I believe EV and KP are still considered lvl 50 ops. My 50 Trooper, whose gear I never optimized, now has over 100% ranged accuracy and rarely seems to hit the thing.

In addition to the reasons mentioned by other posters, here's another. After turning in a lowbie quest in the fleet, I level and now have enough skill points to get a new attack (such as Overhead Strike or Plasma Brand on a Jedi). Only, thanks to location and the outdated combat system I have nothing nearby to go try it out on and we all like trying out our new toys. The dummy was great for this situation. Sure, I can still go see what the animation is on the dummy but not how the damage really is or where it best fits in with other attacks. Or the best time to re-apply a debuff or dot since these are evaded.

It was also just plain fun to have something to do on ship while waiting... for a warzone, for groupfinder, a companion to finish crafting, etc. Next to the mailbox it was probably the best thing to get for the ship. Now its not even that useful or fun to a 50 who may very well still be doing EV/KP for awhile.

Sure, it may not be gamebreaking, but it is one of those stupid little things mmo developers (particularly Bioware) seem to do that eventually add up with all the other little stupid things (both intentional and unintentional) and eventually frustrate subscribers.

Edited by Vangarr

I'll be that guy:

What purpose does the dummy serve pre-55? I posit that the dummies exist to maximize DPS potential for content in which DPS potential is necessary (HMs and OPs). Am I missing something?

So.. you are saying that pre-55... DPS is not relevant in any way in terms of optimization for game play?

Nonsense.

By mid 20s+ as you are aquiring more skills, and you want to figure out which ones (and in which rotation) are even worth having you your skill-bars/keys... a target dummy (conveniently on your ship and your level) makes a lot of practical sense.

Stop being endgame elitist. :p

But i recall doing many WZ at lv 33... 34 , 35, and so on. And the WZ training dummy is having the same "issue" btw.

This is an excellent point. If you've just unlocked a new ability while leveling and want to work out how to fit it in your rotation it before queuing up to a warzone, the dummy is the perfect way to do it.