A Guide to Group Finder

CourtneyWoods

Question...

As not Flashpoints and/or Operations are of the same difficulty, or require the same combinations of classes

(for instance Directive 7 is MUCH easier with ranged DPS and not melee ones)...

Will be any way to change/choose, to avoid going to face Ironfist of Esseles with fresh 50... basically ANY way to control the randomess of the LFG tool?

(Please note that I'm asking from the fresh 50 point of view. I HATE when my inexperience or lack of appropriate gear creates difficulty for my team, even if random).

Yes I'm interested to know this as well.

Perhaps to expand the question. If a pre-made group queues but finds they are given d7, can they decline that and queue for another HM FP and hopefully get something they can cope with? Or are they stuck with D7 for that day?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the patch notes, story mode Denova has been removed from the options due to the difficulty.

Denova is no more difficult than some bosses in EV and KP...

For example, without voice communications, fights like Jarg and Sorno or Fabricator Droid are going to be just as big a pain in the butt as a Tank Swap on Toth and Zorn is going to be. I don't see why Denova should really be excluded.

please no QQ but i know Flashpoints are on the LFG but why aren't Heroic missions on the LFG to sometimes its hard to find people to do them and reguardless of what you might think you know its true so once aging no QQ just tell me what you think.

This is pretty exciting if it works like they are saying it will. I am happy they decided against cross server, and for the same reasons that I have for being against it. Honestly don't know how someone could argue for cross server at this point. Transfer are still happening and this tool has not yet been released. No one know right now what the server population ratios will be or if there would even be a need for cross server grouping.

I think they are doing exactly the right thing right now.

I am very disappointed to see that BW, and at least a very vocal part of the Forum community, are against cross server LFG, frankly the reasons given are very weak, if someone is acting in an inappropriate manner you can simply vote to kick them and put them on ignore, If the tool is cross server they will likely be replaced instantly and you will never be grouped with them again.

The same people who everyone seems to be afraid will lessen their LFG experience are players on someones local server, and they are dealt with in the manner I have mentioned above. The main reason for the existence of a LFG tool is because players are having trouble forming groups, this is most likely because of low populations, but also because of the fact that The Community that exists on a server, and the preservation of which seems to be the battle cry of everyone against cross server Ques, already has people that they prefer to group with, keeping it same server only means that those people will all Que together to get an instant teleport to the flashpoint, and receive extra rewards ( which they can still choose do do if the tool is cross server).

Even with the transfers being done now, there will still be times when it will not be feasible for someone to get a LFG to pop, Just because someone plays on a East coast server for example, dose not mean that their scheduled is 9-5 EST, as a subscribing player you should be able to play any aspect of this game that you chose, at any time that you chose, if it is 4 am your local server time, and you want to run a flashpoint, you will have a problem if the LFG tool stays same server, but if it go's cross server, it will draw on every player in the game, and you will be able to play the aspects of the game that you enjoy most at any time that is convenient for you.

This post should also be considered to apply to PvP Ques.

Just to note:

With the way transfers are going now, all new servers seem to have population equal to the Battlegroups of WoW when they started using Cross Server Dungeon Finder.

So.. why go cross server again?

Another character can queue for Taris, but she doesn't even have her ship yet, so can't get there. I don't see any reason to prevent higher level characters from queuing for the lower level content as long as there is a system in place that others queuing for that content have the choice to accept the higher level into the group or not

Have you tried? That seems like a potential way to break the system since you get free teleports to the thing you're queuing for. If that works, the group finder tool may be able to get you to planets you're not supposed to be able to go to before you get your ship.

I do hope you find out whether they checked both, intentionally doing that is an ignorable offense, but I'm sure there are some simple cases of mistaken roledentity. Does the Group Finder tell you what role you entered the group as?

That depends on the situation really, for example I'm often willing to respec to either healer or DPS with my Sorceror depending on what's needed (almost always gonna be healing..but..still)

Mr Schubert said, " In particular, as a healer I found that some players play DPS classes with wild abandon, wantonly ignoring all common sense and wandering straight into fire walls, acid pits, and giant groups of elite-leveled enemies, and then scream profanities at the healer who failed to heal them. "

I was all for cross server PvP until they handled the transfers as good as they have. The quote above is one of the main reasons I stopped "caring" in other MMOs, well said.

Edited by Pexxle

This tools is great. Hope to use it very soon in deed. With this tool and the server merges that are happening now, there will be no need for cross-server group tool at all. Bioware is making right steps forward to make this game better and better.

So can you only use this to group for Operations, Flashpoints and Heroics? Can you just make a group to do class, planet and sides quests?

Can you not just use it to find a group and then decide what you want to do once you find a group?

I can also imagine that every time I'll have to untick every Flashpoint except the 1 I want to do.

How does it handle level differences between players? Will I end up on teams with players 2 or 3 levels above/below me?

Also, how does it decide if someone is a tank/dps/healer?

So can you only use this to group for Operations, Flashpoints and Heroics? Can you just make a group to do class, planet and sides quests?

Can you not just use it to find a group and then decide what you want to do once you find a group?

I can also imagine that every time I'll have to untick every Flashpoint except the 1 I want to do.

How does it handle level differences between players? Will I end up on teams with players 2 or 3 levels above/below me?

Also, how does it decide if someone is a tank/dps/healer?

The player themselves sets that when they queue up. If I queued on my juggernaut I could check the box for 'Tank' since I'm immortal specced. Once dual specs come in, I could check both the DPS and Tank boxes when I queued to be queued for both roles. (Though odds are, I'd get a tank role to pop)

The player themselves sets that when they queue up. If I queued on my juggernaut I could check the box for 'Tank' since I'm immortal specced. Once dual specs come in, I could check both the DPS and Tank boxes when I queued to be queued for both roles. (Though odds are, I'd get a tank role to pop)

This is sort of what I expected. So it means you can set it to be whatever find a group the quickest (likely tank/healer I'm guessing). Obviously people might see thought this on a Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight but how can you tell if a Scoundrel/Commando/Sage is a healer or not?

This is sort of what I expected. So it means you can set it to be whatever find a group the quickest (likely tank/healer I'm guessing). Obviously people might see thought this on a Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight but how can you tell if a Scoundrel/Commando/Sage is a healer or not?

Well, if someone queues for a role they never actually intend on filling, you can initiate a vote to kick them from the group. I don't think there's any game out there that has a way to actually be able to tell if a person is actively capable of fulfulling the role they selected, just that they're able to potentially fill that role.

Well, if someone queues for a role they never actually intend on filling, you can initiate a vote to kick them from the group. I don't think there's any game out there that has a way to actually be able to tell if a person is actively capable of fulfulling the role they selected, just that they're able to potentially fill that role.

I just wonder why bother with it if you can't trust what it says?

I just wonder why bother with it if you can't trust what it says?

It's one of the risks of the system. The good thing that since it is server-wide and not cross-server you can call these people out and make others aware to not group with them.

It's one of the risks of the system. The good thing that since it is server-wide and not cross-server you can call these people out and make others aware to not group with them.

Does it pick a group for you then or not.

Does it pick a group for you then or not.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking but I'll give it a shot. The way these systems usually work is that it 'creates' three different pools, based on what roles were chosen on the user's end. Again, to use me as an example on my juggernaut I'm immortal specced so I check the box for 'Tank'. It would then place me in the tank pool. Then when the system finds four players (1 tank, 1 healer, and 2 dps I assume) it puts them together into a group. (It does this in a First In, First Out order) So in other words yes, once you put yourself in the queue based on your role, you will get a group automatically. (Not instantaneous, as it depends on what roles are available and how many players are available in each role)

Tonight on PTS, again, it popped often for solo Esseles queues and rarely [never] for solo 50 queues. 4 people queued solo didn't get a pop. Same four people queued as a full group got an *instant* pop (and transfer to start point +++). All mission logs were empty. Let's hope these things get fixed before it goes live.

Sometimes it works really well, though and in switching between live and PTS I find myself increasingly missing this feature on live already (we missed it before, but now we know it exists and what it looks like :p). :D

In reference to Elite players vs Casuals - Tuning the game around the 5% top players (numbre varies by definition, but its a single digit percent) has been a methodology used before, ie in WOW. EVERY time they wind up toning that content down after frustrated people get bored & quit in some %. You will notice at this point WOW is using multi-layered, multi-tiered content to attempt to keep the 5% happy while keeping the 95% engaged with the game.

They, you (Bioware), anyone has to do this for long term financial success with a game. The "5%" may make a lot of noise about a game, but the 95% are the bread & butter - they pay the bills and keep the doors open. Driving off those players means your profit cycle on the game will be measured in months rather than years. Again, the best way to meet that challenge is to give players the option of doing something the hard way or not, where they get some measurable reward for doing so - but that reward can't be such that is unbalances other parts of the game (PVP) thus making it imperative to do it on that mode (refering to FPs etc here as the activity yielding reward).

Also in regard to the UI element, I am not saying that they have to make player created mods part of the game, but take the ideas that player mods did in WOW or any other game, and incorporate them in their base UI. If someone went to the trouble to code a mod, chances are there is a deficiency in the game UI that they are trying to fill. Not everyone will see the same problem/benefit - its dependant on play style and level.

-------------------------------------

Out of curiosity, why implement something like that when the existing /ignore functionality already provides that?

Because ignore lists are limited in scope, and we are talking about in the event they are implementing a cross-server LFG system to keep groups active under low server pop conditions. There is also the case where you might not want to group with someone in a random, but still interact with them in other fashions.

--------------------------------------

Heroic Missions would be a good thing to include in LFG, they are often a ****-block because of the necessity for others and no one wants to wait around.

Wouldn't it be better if players were able to access it earlier than level 10 so that they could use it on their origin planets?

There are (to best of my knowledge) only 2 person areas on each starter planet, so not really needed before the ship run to your capital planet.

Decent point, I'm pretty sure there are 2 to three heroics per origin planet, and at least one heroic 4 per planet as well.

The group finder has a section for planets with 4 person areas, so you can queue for those. ;)

Edited by Marcus_Cade

It mentioned we would get coms as an incentive to use the random tool. Any idea what we can use thees for?

They are planet commendations for the level of planet you are on. So for example: My level 18/19/20 Bounty Hunter has run Hammer Station LOTS over last few days, so has LOADS of Balmorra commendations.

Because that's far more mature isn't it? Aren't we glad we can have this community where people are able to say "NOBODY PLAY WITH THAT PERSON!!!"....:rolleyes:

"Heroic Missions that are neither overly easy or OMGWTFBBQ hard"

Best. Thing. EVER!

Been testing on the PTS, liking the group finder, but the queue gets pretty long sometimes. :/

This isn't going to work if its not cross server why do I want to transfer and lose my name?