This game feels abandoned

HexDecimalUK

And it has done for a long loong time since before free2play and while i am looking forwards to new games in 2014 (ESO/Wildstar/Titanfall/etc) i would certainly rather stay on SW:TOR but not if it remains as it is, IMO it needs the event to be happening faaar more frequently, and i don't just mean the gree, the bounty hunter thing, double XP days that might or might not be happening every often enough to not care about any of them, but there isn't even any daily events to hightail it round the galaxy to. When im playing other MMOs or even multiplayer MODs "that shall not be named" its like every 2 hours something happens for me to plan my evening for as well as big weekend things. i come to this and its just que for warzones, grind daily's, im a PVPer mostly so that's kind of it for me and even then my daily's are souly for the sake of stims. I mean there could be so much more going on in the game if someone just organized it.

:2 hours of valor and bolster in outlaws den

:raid bosses attacking kaas city or even the FLEET

:NPC invasions of random friendly zones

:double XP drop in/drop out Open space combat

:Mining events like 2 hours of awesome drops in specific places like again kaas city and so on

:2 hours of faster crafting

:Po'Companion'mon load into arenas with ur companion and u can only control their quick-bars

:Pet-Hunts (and realy they need to be respawning when their available who the hell re-clicks them after every Ops just sayin)

:2 hours of PVE coms drop-chance in certain places

:gambling on naar shaddar (i also seem to remember a droid race back in the day)

: tickets to load into ranked arenas as a spectator in spectator boxes (grey out quick bars)

:add a form of bolster and access to coruscation for imps and DK for pubs lowbies can insta-gib their enemy's for 2 hours but also have 55 enemy players spawning in random areas, will you defend your own young-lings or invade?

: hunt down Revan (he is hiding somewhere in the galaxy as a world boss, find him and call for re reinforcements, defeat him for rewards) once u target him he throws up a shield that requires a 30 man group to beat lowby worlds could bolster any player in the fight perhapse?

there is soo much potential for spontaneity in the galaxy that just is not happening and Im sure bioware could invent hundreds of these things and just being around for these things would give allot of players who like myself are becoming bored with the same routine day in day out, the game feels almost totally written off with a few token events once in a blue moon instead of a regular bases maybe just because the devs have nothing better to do or EA just dont think its worth paying them to organise these things and if they don't care why should we? even the facebook page has more events than this game does how sad is that? why cant the gree land for 2 days of the week every 2 weeks ilum is totally dead for the second week of the last 2, same with the bounty thing, same with double XP weekends i mean in all seriousness bioware do you want people to play this game or not?

EDIT: TLDR: Yes i mean this game needs more live dynamic events to bring the galaxy to life, including making use of the slowly added content.

Edited by HexDecimalUK

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, even though it's new content it's not really what was asked about. Starfighter is basically a new PvP Arena, isn't it?

What was asked for was events that make the whole game world come alive. There's a difference.

No, not really.

It's PVP, alright. It's not an Arena, though.

And I don't disagree with adding events, it just seems a bit of a stretch to call a game that was never "something new every 2 hours" abandoned - it implies that things that used to happen no longer do when in fact this game, simply, is not GW2.

Edited by TheNahash

Didn't they JUST add Galactic Starfighter?

I think what the OP meant was they he/she wanted TOR to have more spontaneous live/dynamic events which usually affect an entire zone(s). Examples of these types of events would be like the Dark Elf invasion of Freeport in EQ or the Rikti invasions in CoH/CoV. In those events players are basically forced to team up and get into role of playing defense. I suppose TOR has something similar too such as the Rakghoul event but that is planned and announced well ahead of time so it really loses out on the spontaneity factor.

I personally wouldn't mind more random events like that as long as it doesn't become too frequent to the point of nuisance.

Because shipping a star wars game with a sub-par arcade on-rail shooter that looks like something i could get on my ipad then slightly improving it 2 years later is an exceptional example of Bioware's commitment to content.

You took the words right out of my mouth (well not those exact words but the sentiment is the same)!

the game doesn't feel abandoned to me, when i see "abandoned" i think no one playing, yet i see people everywhere i go in game...

there's always new content rolling out all the time, just because i don't care for some of it doesn't mean i deny it's existence... i don't care for PvP content, but i'm not gonna deny that there's content rolling out simply because i don't like what was released...

saying "abandoned" is deliberate misdirection to make others, possibly new players, still on the fence checking the forums to get a feel for the community, and someone saying "abandoned" may lead them to the wrong conclusion about this games population and development...

Because shipping a star wars game with a sub-par arcade on-rail shooter that looks like something i could get on my ipad then slightly improving it 2 years later is an exceptional example of Bioware's commitment to content.

Not liking something added to the game ≠ the game feels "abandoned"

I don't like the GS and I still comprehend that it's new content, regardless of when it was produced or if it resembles older games.

Quality is subjective. I liked Oricon. Some people didn't. Does Oricon cease to exist because some people didn't enjoy it?

I think what the OP meant was they he/she wanted TOR to have more spontaneous live/dynamic events which usually affect an entire zone(s).

Then the OP used the wrong word to describe it.

Edited by TheNahash

my other MMo is currently Neverwinter.

it does something like what OP is referring to. every hour or so, some bonus is going on.

it feels spontaneous for the first couple of days, and then people start to minmax. good luck finding a group for a skirmish outside of skirmish bonus window. dungeon delves are not as bad (since rewards are just an extra meh item) but still. pvp queues are not as bad outside of bonus windows, bit still...

it regiments you and for a lot of people it will end up , well forcing is not a good word, but almost cajoling them into drastically changing their playstyle and it becomes just another piece of routine.

its an illusion. and not even particularly awesome one. I mean... I personally got tired of GW2 "dynamic events" within a week of regular playing. and judging how annoying it can be to find people to do them with nowadays, unless you luck out? so did quite a few other people. same idea for rift's rifts.

not that its not fun occasionally, but making it common as odd as it sounds, removes a lot of the fun and doesn't make the game feel like its getting a lot of content after a while. its just same old recycled stuff.

what makes the game not feel abandoned is new content. new events. and SWTOR may not have been getting those as often as people would like (and possibly they could do better, offer more) but its been getting them. so no, its not abandoned.

Yes i get that sometimes we get expansions but that's not what im talking about at all and if anything they feel like an occasional cooky to keep us quiet, something they can just throw in and forget about, they aren't actually organizing or really animating the galaxy to its full potential or any potential, the world doesn't breath, it doesn't move, nothing happens except NPCs re spawning after we kill em. what events we do get is a feeble example of what should be happening all the time. end of the day im paying a sub to repeat the same content over and over. I dont expect BW to constantly add new content thats absurd i do however eexpect them to play with that content as organisers of the game as much as they expect us to play it.

And if i were to look at it from a PVE'ers point of view it is shameful how little that is done, again im not going to cite other games or mods of other games(advertising) but compared to these other games iv tried this game doesnt even begin to involve the player with the game world but im a PVPer so what i don't get in those games is balance hence im still here but by the skin of my teeth's interest. i could go on but hopefully you see what i mean and if your happy with what the game is giving you then fine but when you log back in see many players are inactive in your guild and tell me your in a majority.

Edited by HexDecimalUK

It feels abandoned because it is. Anyone disagreeing with that statement are just those whom still have interest in the game and/or don't want to see all their time and involvement wasted.

TOR survives solely on the cartel market and it's lackluster items. New content, bug fixes and overall quality and efficiency is way, way lacking in comparison with most MMOs. Especially ones with the budget similar to SWTOR.

The reality is, in my opinion, this game, for the most part, is considered a industry flop by EAware. Does it still generate profit? Perhaps, but likely nowhere near where they envisioned. I'd imagine this game is considered more of a burden than a blessing to EA. Could be a matter of time before they start making moves to wrap it up. That's just my opinion based strictly on the ethics of business and economics, and has nothing to do with my personal grudges with TOR.

That being said, this game is not awful. But the long-term player sustainability is.

It feels abandoned because it is. Anyone disagreeing with that statement are just those whom still have interest in the game and/or don't want to see all their time and involvement wasted.

TOR survives solely on the cartel market and it's lackluster items. New content, bug fixes and overall quality and efficiency is way, way lacking in comparison with most MMOs. Especially ones with the budget similar to SWTOR.

The reality is, in my opinion, this game, for the most part, is considered a industry flop by EAware. Does it still generate profit? Perhaps, but likely nowhere near where they envisioned. I'd imagine this game is considered more of a burden than a blessing to EA. Could be a matter of time before they start making moves to wrap it up. That's just my opinion based strictly on the ethics of business and economics, and has nothing to do with my personal grudges with TOR.

That being said, this game is not awful. But the long-term player sustainability is.

Horrible opinion-based judgment calls are awesome.

also, lying is a bad thing, you should stop.

the game doesn't feel abandoned to me, when i see "abandoned" i think no one playing, yet i see people everywhere i go in game...

there's always new content rolling out all the time, just because i don't care for some of it doesn't mean i deny it's existence... i don't care for PvP content, but i'm not gonna deny that there's content rolling out simply because i don't like what was released...

saying "abandoned" is deliberate misdirection to make others, possibly new players, still on the fence checking the forums to get a feel for the community, and someone saying "abandoned" may lead them to the wrong conclusion about this games population and development...

I don't think I could word my view on the idea that the game is abandoned better than this. So I'll just quote it.

How did you (OP) get the feeling that the game is abandoned?

What would need to happen to make you feel not abandoned?

Do you expect the "old days" of MMORPGs to return, where the whole communiy was 100k of players and a dev team could actually afford to host live events on each server by taking control of NPC? This will not happen.

To me personally, the dev team is "taking care of me", as long as they are continually working on making the game better, which does include more content and bugfixes. On both parts they did not fail so far in my eyes.

I'm sigging this.

I think adding dynamic events beyond what we've seen with the Gree event would be good for the game - I'm curious just how the new Rakghoul Event is going to play out in that regard.

BUT considering "events" like that the only sort of content that counts towards not having the game feel "abandoned" is kind of ridiculous. We've had new Ops, new FPs, new recurring events, new PVP maps/modes, and now GSF. I get that some of these modes aren't for everyone, but if *none* of it is doing anything for ya, you may want to find a game that caters specifically to the niche you're looking for.

How many Star Wars games in recent memory have had more in-depth space modes that that?

Going back as far as KotOR II (which had a similar on-rails minigame) the only ones I can think of are Battlefront II (I never played the PSP Battlefronts, did they have space?) and SWG - Jump to Lightspeed. Empire at War had space combat in a tactical sense, but no twitch space fighting. I don't think there was any space combat in The Force Unleashed series, any of the "Clone Wars" branded games, the Clone Commando series, the Star War Kinect game, or Lethal Alliance.

I think GSF wins "Best Star Wars Space Game of the last 8 years" by default.

I think adding dynamic events beyond what we've seen with the Gree event would be good for the game - I'm curious just how the new Rakghoul Event is going to play out in that regard.

BUT considering "events" like that the only sort of content that counts towards not having the game feel "abandoned" is kind of ridiculous. We've had new Ops, new FPs, new recurring events, new PVP maps/modes, and now GSF. I get that some of these modes aren't for everyone, but if *none* of it is doing anything for ya, you may want to find a game that caters specifically to the niche you're looking for.

How many Star Wars games in recent memory have had more in-depth space modes that that?

Going back as far as KotOR II (which had a similar on-rails minigame) the only ones I can think of are Battlefront II (I never played the PSP Battlefronts, did they have space?) and SWG - Jump to Lightspeed. Empire at War had space combat in a tactical sense, but no twitch space fighting. I don't think there was any space combat in The Force Unleashed series, any of the "Clone Wars" branded games, the Clone Commando series, the Star War Kinect game, or Lethal Alliance.

I think GSF wins "Best Star Wars Space Game of the last 8 years" by default.

EAware copied SOE's Clone Wars mmo, you know that right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frXLv7wUDMw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-vfu_wsdkk

Edited by Zorvan

Although I won't turn down more content, I don't think chucking tons of events at us is the way to go. For me the game does feel stale (I'll go with that) and it doesn't for me feel like BioWare is trying to make this game awesome. I think their taking as much shortcuts as possible tbh. Yes we got some new content but its the same things dailies mostly. What I'd personally like to see is BioWare take a risk, get back to the creative routes and amaze us like they can do. Once BioWare start putting real effort back into the quality of the game like they do with their other titles these threads will disappear.

That's on rails and, at least looks like, PVE not PVP.

If anything, it's more like the Space Combat we had before the GS, not the GS itself.

Please. GSF is on a rail, the rail is just disguised as a bubble now. You have the "freedom" to attack the points in the center of the bubble and the other people attempting to attack the points in the circle. That's it.

And it's still the craptastic "hanging christmas ornament puppet" spaceship you're "flying".

Edited by Zorvan