Eric? Update as promised?

Arandem

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone!

As requested, here is an update on “traditional” robes being brought into SWTOR. I think the first thing that is important to realize is that traditional can mean different things to different people. Although I know many folks are looking for the “Obi Wan” appearance, we won’t just copy and paste that in. With that being said, we have already brought some armor into the game that is a bit more traditional, such as Relnex set in the Supreme Mogul’s pack. In talking to the Cartel Market team we also have two more “traditional” Jedi armor sets in the works. One you will see in a future pack… and another which will be a direct sale item. You should see both of these within a few Game Updates from now, I don’t have exact timing at this moment.

I hope that answers your question!

-eric

WHY WHY WHY CARTEL MARKET! ALWAYS THE CARTEL MARKET!

Can't this just be a damn drop or something we can farm?

WHY WHY WHY CARTEL MARKET! ALWAYS THE CARTEL MARKET!

Can't this just be a damn drop or something we can farm?

Well... you can farm creds and then buy it on GTN. Ends up the same thing, only that while you farm the cash by doing daily quests you also get a chance to earn rep. It's not perfect, but you know what they say - devs gotta eat too.

No problem, there are all of 0 outfits that are "similar" to the ones in the movies if you go by the (very) strict demands you have on the jedi outfits.

I'll let you stew in your bitterness while I am content in knowing that BW at least is attempting to make a sizable chunk of their player base happy. I'll never quite understand your objection to people that have requested traditional Jedi robes:

1) the robes are certainly in keeping with the lore

2) BW 's business model is based on the CM so it's a great opportunity for them to make money which improves the health of the game

3) even if there are many definitions of "traditional Jedi robes" that gives BW. A chance to create multiple CM offerings with minimal incremental efforts.

When BW first introduced the Relnex set, I was pretty happy because I saw it as a step in the right direction. I only got frustrated with BW after they stopped introducing new similar item, and instead started producing reskins of Huttball uniforms, armor sets with glowing lights, space janitor armor sets, etc.

The player base has been routinely requesting simpler armor sets (not just Jedi attire but also for Sith and other classes), the clamor for "traditional Jedi robes" is just an offshoot of this trend.

But getting back to you because you seem like a decent enough fellow; I have to ask why do you hate yourself so much? You seem to be a pretty intelligent and articulate person; you must have a lot going for you in your life. I think if you let go of your resentment of other people's enjoyment of this game, you'd probably discover that you are having more fun with the game as well.

So I'm assuming your art team is busy adding flaps, shoulder pads and ungodly backpacks to the robes as we speak? Ah, thought so.

Oh Force forbid! :l

I won't mind KotOR 1 robes as long as we'll get KotOR 2 ones, too! I suspect KotOR 1 to be the direct purchase one.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

I just hope we'll finally get the Jedi Knight "Character Creation" armor as it's the only one still missing in the cartel market and I REALLY would like a Battlelord Armor set with the hood down.

And yeah, I know we had the Valiant Jedi set as a replacement, but Sith Warriors als got both their trailer armor set AND character creation set.

I'll let you stew in your bitterness while I am content in knowing that BW at least is attempting to make a sizable chunk of their player base happy. I'll never quite understand your objection to people that have requested traditional Jedi robes:

1) the robes are certainly in keeping with the lore

2) BW 's business model is based on the CM so it's a great opportunity for them to make money which improves the health of the game

3) even if there are many definitions of "traditional Jedi robes" that gives BW. A chance to create multiple CM offerings with minimal incremental efforts.

When BW first introduced the Relnex set, I was pretty happy because I saw it as a step in the right direction. I only got frustrated with BW after they stopped introducing new similar item, and instead started producing reskins of Huttball uniforms, armor sets with glowing lights, space janitor armor sets, etc.

The player base has been routinely requesting simpler armor sets (not just Jedi attire but also for Sith and other classes), the clamor for "traditional Jedi robes" is just an offshoot of this trend.

But getting back to you because you seem like a decent enough fellow; I have to ask why do you hate yourself so much? You seem to be a pretty intelligent and articulate person; you must have a lot going for you in your life. I think if you let go of your resentment of other people's enjoyment of this game, you'd probably discover that you are having more fun with the game as well.

It's funny how you didn't actually respond to my post there.

Where are these outfits the other classes have that are oh-so similar to the movies?

Please, feel free to point them out.

And as I have stated (repeatedly) before, I don't mind requests, but I do mind demands. And most people in the other thread about this subject are in fact demanding that bioware implement exact replicas of the KotOR robes or the movie robes.

It's not enough that the robes in the game look close enough to classic jedi robes, no they have to be exactly like the robes in KotOR/the movies.

I mean, the demands list (and yes, they are demands) is pretty flimsy.

Lets see what people are demanding bioware change about the robes.

1: they want long sleaves instead of short ones.

2: they want the belt inside the robe, not outside.

3: they want the inner "robe" to go below the belt as well

4: no patterns whatsoever.

That's pretty much the whole demands list. And they are nit-picky demands.

But I am perfectly fine with people wanting this. I'm perfectly fine with people wishing bioware to implement this in future designs.

I am not fine with people demanding that it is done to gratiate their own petty needs because they can't look exactly like the jedi in the movies/KotOR.

I am not fine with people claiming that all the other classes have outfits that are just like the ones in the movies, because they don't.

This is why I even bother to post in that other thread (and now this one since it has become the new "gimme kotor outfits" thread). Not because I have something against the KotOR outfits, not because I have something against any of the posters, not because I want to ruin other peoples ideás.

Hey everyone!

... I think the first thing that is important to realize is that traditional can mean different things to different people. Although I know many folks are looking for the “Obi Wan” appearance, we won’t just copy and paste that in....

-eric

Ooooh, Eric. :( I'm definately not one to make a fuss over it (I don't care, I may wear them for awhile), but seriously, I'm thinking that if the team really doesn't do just that (copy paste Obi-Wan/Anakin's ep.2 look in), it's not going to stop.

But but but.... why not copy Obi Wan, he is the awesome of the awesomest

I'm willing to pay for good looking robes... And I don't think there is a lore reason why this is not possible. Nor any "technical" difficulty.. they are rather simple. Valiant Jedi Armor is awesome though. Making more gear in that style is also good

The Relnex set is kinda dull, too dull. And that horrible belt... please, don't ever put belts above the robe

p.s. Ragnos robe is step in the right direction too, with them nice sleeves.

Kudos Eric! Now I can shut up. Loving you for the update

ERIC!!!! REMEMBER!! HOOD DOWN

Make you sure you tell them!

Otherwise i unsub...

Who wants to bet that Bioware will troll me?

Edited by QuiDonJorn

I must say I am surprised I am surprised how the game has developed in regards to outfits. I remember the pre-launch discussions in the forums when people seriously argued that there should be hardly any variety at all in how people looked. And when I say people I don't mean just remote individuals but community leader types with dozens of followers. Then again, by the time I started chatting here there was a fraction of "experienced MMO gamers" who found it unthinkable that a consular who wouldn't heal was a viable character concept and that anyone who tried would be kicked out of every group. The concept that the role isn't implied was not that common back then after all.

End game content, in the early stages of the game (well, the first few weeks and months, the game being merely two years old we're arguable still in the early phases), was pretty much a slap in the face. I can't express how much I resented those Tionese/Columi/Rakata outfits for consulars. Lining up for an operation looked like a gathering of freaks who'd want to sell everyone flyers announcing the end of the world and detailing how you could safe your soul by giving all your money.

As strange as it may sound, and as distasteful as I find it in the vast majority of contexts, the dancer outfits, as one of the first adaptable armors were quite a break through, as well as giving us the opportunity to unslot mods from end game equipment. Ironically that lead to wearing a lot of outfits that were available in pretty early stages of the game. The low level outfits were often simpler and more straightforward and looked better...

As much as I disliked the appearance of the cartel market, and as little as I cared about the outfits available for buying directly as it appeared, I do like a lot of outfits they put in those packs, so they are clearly an improvement as far as I am concerned. It's a bit costly though - it's not just buying them on GTN, it's also buying the augment slots and the augments themselves and installing them, plus the cost for removing the other mods and the cost for the coloring of the chest piece.

It suprises me a little that Bioware is hesitant to just copy an Obi-Wan outfit. They weren't shy about using a Visas Marr outfit (which was originally created by Obsidian, not Bioware) and several others. But I believe that SW:TOR has greatly improved during the past two years and I am positively looking forward for those two announced outfits. No one needs another variant of those tiny bits of dancer outfits, no one needs another variant of those lousy space suits. But with a bit variance every player should be able to give their characters at least an approximation of the look they intended for their characters.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Im more surprised we haven't seen the following being even rare drops from cartel packs

Darth Malgus gear

Grand Master Satele Shan gear

now one can argue yes Darth Malgus does with the sith raider gear, but I was thinking his complete look along with the robe.

its not a game breaker for me but honestly Bioware with a lot of your gear since this game launched its bad looking ..at least on the Sith side. only since the cartel market Sith robe gear have I been happy.

It's funny how you didn't actually respond to my post there ... blah blah blah

I don't have access to the game at the moment, but of the top of my head:

- Smugglers got the vest outfit that was very similar to Han in Ep. 4 & 6. Tionese/Columi/Rakata gear was all very similar to what Lando wore, which is why the appearance of that gear was not criticized nearly as much the versions for other classes. Smugglers also got the Troublemaker Set which is similar to the guy in the Return trailer. There are also several other outfits keeping with the archetypical SW smuggler look.

- Troopers got the Stalwart Defender which finally got rid of the hideous backpacks. There are a bunch of trooper helmets that look similar to Clone Trooper helmets & Scout Troopers.

- BH finally got a Mando type helmet with the BH week, but I am happy to support BH's requests for more Mando-type armors. Aside from that, there are a lot of heavy armor type set reminiscent of BH's depicted in SW lore.

- Agents do not have a good counterpart from the movie to compare them to, but the CM Imperial armor set (forget the name) fits the role of a loyal Imperial servant well.

More importantly though, you say that we are "demanding" certain things. That is very true. We are fulfilling our role as the DEMAND curve, now it is incumbent on Bioware to fill their role as the SUPPLY curve so that a happy medium can be reached.

I can't speak for anyone else on my side of this issue, but I am more than happy to send Bioware my hard-earned money in exchange for them providing me with the goods & services that I desire. I am not DEMANDING that they give me anything.

For the record, most people started posting pictures of Jedi's from the movies or KOTOR I & II Jedi robes as examples to what we are requesting when we asked for "traditional Jedi robes." It was a common refrain for forum trolls to respond with "Why don't you provide examples to show the devs what you mean?". That is why people started posting pics of Obi-Wan.

And the list of specific requests that you noted, all of those elements are already seen on various sets. What most of us are asking for is that these elements all be brought together.

I don't have access to the game at the moment, but of the top of my head:

Well, lets put these in the context of how "picky" you are when it comes to jedi outfits, shall we?

- Smugglers got the vest outfit that was very similar to Han in Ep. 4 & 6. Tionese/Columi/Rakata gear was all very similar to what Lando wore, which is why the appearance of that gear was not criticized nearly as much the versions for other classes. Smugglers also got the Troublemaker Set which is similar to the guy in the Return trailer. There are also several other outfits keeping with the archetypical SW smuggler look.

Right, The Tionese set's only similarity to Lando's is that it has a cape. Other than that, it looks nothing alike.

As for Han Solo (by far the most famous smuggler in the movies), we get this as the closest look. And it looks nowhere near what he wears. The only similarity there is that they both have vests, but they are not even the same sort of vests... Han wears a normal cloth vest while the one we get in the game is more of an outdoor padded vest.

Sure, smugglers get the Troublemaker set which is similar to the guy in the trailer. But we are not talking about the trailer are we?

- Troopers got the Stalwart Defender which finally got rid of the hideous backpacks. There are a bunch of trooper helmets that look similar to Clone Trooper helmets & Scout Troopers.

Sure, troopers are the ones that come closest to looking like they do in the movies, but even then, if i apply your strict requirements, they are still very different from the movies. Here is a picture of a bunch of clone troopers. The Stalwart Protector set looks nothing like that. It has much thicker armour and looks much bulkier and heavier. It also has a huge pauldron sticking out on the left shoulder. As for the helmets, I guess you could say that they are similar to the clone troopers, but they are still not nearly similar enough if you start to be as picky as you are with jedi outfits.

- BH finally got a Mando type helmet with the BH week, but I am happy to support BH's requests for more Mando-type armors. Aside from that, there are a lot of heavy armor type set reminiscent of BH's depicted in SW lore.

As my main is a Mandalorian BH, i kinda laugh at this. There is nothing that even remotely looks like Boba/Jango Fett's armour in the game. And those are the only mandalorians you see in the movies. Sure, we did kinda get the KotOR mandalorians look, but that is still only one set (no, Mandalore the Preserver's doesn't count as a KotOR mando armour set)

- Agents do not have a good counterpart from the movie to compare them to, but the CM Imperial armor set (forget the name) fits the role of a loyal Imperial servant well.

Like you said, they have no counterpart from the movies and are thus moot in this discussion

More importantly though, you say that we are "demanding" certain things. That is very true. We are fulfilling our role as the DEMAND curve, now it is incumbent on Bioware to fill their role as the SUPPLY curve so that a happy medium can be reached.

I can't speak for anyone else on my side of this issue, but I am more than happy to send Bioware my hard-earned money in exchange for them providing me with the goods & services that I desire. I am not DEMANDING that they give me anything.

For the record, most people started posting pictures of Jedi's from the movies or KOTOR I & II Jedi robes as examples to what we are requesting when we asked for "traditional Jedi robes." It was a common refrain for forum trolls to respond with "Why don't you provide examples to show the devs what you mean?". That is why people started posting pics of Obi-Wan.

And the list of specific requests that you noted, all of those elements are already seen on various sets. What most of us are asking for is that these elements all be brought together.

Well... answers to you points about the other classes are in the quote, in red.

As for the rest of your rant, on the one hand you state that you are demanding things and then you state that you are not demanding things. Make up your mind.

And the reason people started posting pics of jedi from the movies and KotOR is irrelevant, since that is exactly what they want. Not something similar, but something exactly like it.

You said it yourself, most of those things are available on various sets, and are easily combined.

And as many have pointed out before me (with pics even), it is very possible to get a great jedi look in the game with the outfits available.

But that just isn't enough, no, a crusade is needed to make them put in a jedi set that looks exactly like the ones in the movies...

It's just silly, and some of you are coming off as spoiled children asking for a new iPhone at x-mas because the one you got was the wrong colour...

EDIT: Just to make it clear, I don't give a hoot that there are no exact replicas of the smuggler/trooper/bounty hunter outfits from the movies. The ones we have are close enough for a game that takes place in a whole different era, and the only reason I bring it up is because alot of the people demanding movie-replica jedi outfits cite that the other classes look like they do in the movies.

It's 300+ years in the past or 3600+ years in the future that you find these images. Fashion changes, even amongst jedi.

Roll with it or sit there and wait for the day that they release another KotOR jedi outfit that is good enough for you to use (although I doubt there will ever be one that is good enough for your picky tastes)

There is already the Jolee Bindo outfit, but apparantly that wasn't on the (very narrow) list of outfits that qualify as "real" jedi outfits...

Edited by OddballEasyEight

Oddball you have too much time on your hands.

The reason people started posting the pictures is relevant. You are grossly generalizing to say that everyone is demanding a carbon copy of Obi-Wan. Sure some people are asking for that but not everyone.

At its basic level, what I have been asking for is simpler outfits - no huge shoulder pads, no extraneous tubes, no blinking lights - which is a common request across all armor set types. In particular to Jedi attire, I hate that most belts are outside of the outer robe. I also hate the skin tight pants which is true for non-Jedi outfits as well. As for the sleeve length, I would prefer long sleeves, but if the crappy 3D engine is a hinderance to creating them, then I will accept the short sleeves.

As for my demand "rant", I was pointing out yet another gross generalization that you are making. I will only speak for myself in saying, I am happy to buy any of these items from the CM. I do not want anything given to me. Trying to ridicule me or people like me as being a spoiled child is a fundamental misunderstanding of market forces. I am expressing what my "DEMANDS" are as a consumer so that Bioware as the "SUPPLIER" can fulfill my MARKET NEED.

Hey everyone!

As requested, here is an update on “traditional” robes being brought into SWTOR. I think the first thing that is important to realize is that traditional can mean different things to different people. Although I know many folks are looking for the “Obi Wan” appearance, we won’t just copy and paste that in.

-eric

If designers go cold turkey on addendums like hoses, antennas, shoulder pads, wings, backpacks, etc, the robes certainly will be nice :)

Oh, I get it... you make a fuss when you don't get what you want and then you insult others who ask for stuff in the same way you do.

That's nice.

Well, while I seriously don't understand the whole fandalorian thing, I think its kinda silly, I wasn't really trying to be vicious, more like friendly teasing.

If designers go cold turkey on addendums like hoses, antennas, shoulder pads, wings, backpacks, etc, the robes certainly will be nice :)

Well, soon is christmas. They might create one that looks like a tree with candles all over it. Wouldn't be as absurd as other things I've seen. And: I want more cowbell!

Oddball you have too much time on your hands.

Says the person that keeps responding to my posts with as long, if not longer, answers...

The reason people started posting the pictures is relevant. You are grossly generalizing to say that everyone is demanding a carbon copy of Obi-Wan. Sure some people are asking for that but not everyone.

Never did say everyone now did I?

At its basic level, what I have been asking for is simpler outfits - no huge shoulder pads, no extraneous tubes, no blinking lights - which is a common request across all armor set types. In particular to Jedi attire, I hate that most belts are outside of the outer robe. I also hate the skin tight pants which is true for non-Jedi outfits as well. As for the sleeve length, I would prefer long sleeves, but if the crappy 3D engine is a hinderance to creating them, then I will accept the short sleeves.

So again, you have very nit-picky pet peeves when it comes to jedi outfits, since there are plenty of jedi outfits in the game wihout huge shoulder pads, tubes or blinking lights. Belt outside the robe, tight pants and short sleeves really irks you so much that you have to repeatedly demand that bioware "fix it"?

As for my demand "rant", I was pointing out yet another gross generalization that you are making. I will only speak for myself in saying, I am happy to buy any of these items from the CM. I do not want anything given to me. Trying to ridicule me or people like me as being a spoiled child is a fundamental misunderstanding of market forces. I am expressing what my "DEMANDS" are as a consumer so that Bioware as the "SUPPLIER" can fulfill my MARKET NEED.

Again, not generalizing when i use words as "some" and "you" now am I?

Making suggestions or even requests is fine, but when you start demanding things from companies, you start coming off as childish. Especially if those demands are minor details, and yet claiming that without those minor details the whole look is completely ruined and nowhere near how a jedi "should" look.

As usual, replies in red.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

Making suggestions or even requests is fine, but when you start demanding things from companies, you start coming off as childish. Especially if those demands are minor details, and yet claiming that without those minor details the whole look is completely ruined and nowhere near how a jedi "should" look.

Most of the Jedi I see IRL wear clothes that look like Relnex'.