Sith Inquisitor story vs. Sith Warrior (SPOILERS)

Esbia

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only is the narritive better for warriors, the actual class missions are better.

How many times do you have to run down a long tunnel fighting everything on the way to get to the very far end just to have a lame conversation in the SI quests?

On the other hand, a Warrior busts into a room, kills a few people, has a really cool cut scene, and then gets to leave.

After the SI cut scene you have to fight your way back out of this 4 mile long tunnel/cave.

This happens FREQUENTLY.

I leveled from 1 to 50 with a SW Jugger (I was heal spec sorc) and consistantly, my buddy would groan and just tell me how horrible my stuff was compared to his, and I couldn't argue.

SI is Lil Jon

Interactions go like this

Person X: The thing you need to do is this

SI: WHUT?

X: Seriously, this is a great plan I made up

X: Just do it

SI: OKAY

After playing the Warrior for a bit I really am let down...hell, that quest in Korriban where you have to decide the fates of prisoners, that would have worked for Inquisitors

SI is Lil Jon

After playing the Warrior for a bit I really am let down...hell, that quest in Korriban where you have to decide the fates of prisoners, that would have worked for Inquisitors

OK I lol'd.. someone needs to make a lil jon looking SI!

you guys forgot the loopholes and how the story felt you needed to play it one way or it wouldnt make sense... an example of a loophole mb you have but i missed it while skimming the posts

spoiler*

when zash is "killed" the students are talking to you and zash is talking through khem val... and they dont explain OH shes ALIVE or anything...

not to mention after a while there was really seldom any choice you... sure there were 3 choices... of what to say... but they all said the same thing... now the story was good if i hadnt experienced jedi knight or sith warrior story before hand... however hopefully bioware will reward us in future expansions and actually give a decent budget to inquisitor story because honestly i felt it was just low budget and thats why it was bad compared to others

SI is Lil Jon

I agree while playing a SW i felt more like a SI than playing my actual SI.

I rolled my main as a Sith Assassin and so had to endure the Sith inquisitor story. Since I am not one for making alts I decided to watch the Sith Warrior story in its entirety on Youtube. Before I saw the Sith Warrior story arc I was underwhelmed by the Inquisitor arc, but not too bothered. After having seen the Sith Warrior arc, I must say I am very disappointed to put it mildly. The Warrior story completely obliterates the Inquisitor story by light years. How can there be such disparity in narrative in the same game? It feels like Bioware's A team wrote the Warrior arc while the interns wrote the Inquisitor story.

Let me basically summarize the essential differences.

In the Inquisitor story you end up becoming the ***** of some Lord Granny nobody who has so little power that she desires to take over your body for herself. You spend around 60% of the story arc running around looking for holocrons for some ****** reason you don't care about for the aforementioned nobody. In the meantime you are presented with very thinly written excuses of a story about your companions so that they can be elbowed into the main quest. No real character development is presented and the narrative expansion is minimal. The companion stories feel mostly disjointed from the main narrative arc. The only companion who has some awesomity (yes I just made that up), Khem Vahl ends up being bound to the nobody granny who despite the fact that you defeat, you cannot get rid of for the rest of the story. Then a Sith Council member comes out of nowhere to try to kill you for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Because no character development or narrative expansion has been done, you neither despise this new enemy nor are particularly enamoured by him. So the rest of the narrative is spent trying to kill this other nobody you don't care about just to get a seat on the Council. The end. Oh by the way I forgot, you're so freaking weak and meaningless, you cannot defeat this nobody on your own and need the help of ghosts. Oh great!!

The Warrior story couldn't be more different. Your nemesis from the beginning is intriguing and enigmatic; firstly because his true identity is hidden by a menacing mask but also because of some excellent voice acting. Furthermore, unlike with Darth Thanaton (Inq nemesis) who appears out of nowhere and you don't give a **** about, you build a relationship with Baras throughout the story, either growing to hate him making the ending even more satisfying or love him making his betrayal more hurtful. The companion back stories are developed much better in this narrative arc. Two in particular really stick out. You spend quite a lot of your quest chasing the Jedi Padawan and her master which culminates in an epic scene where you get to choose your new companions alignment. Because 25% of the main story arc is spent developing this character's story, by the time you get her you actually give a **** what happens to her. Quinn has another stand out companion narrative. Not only is he a pet like in other MMOs but ends up playing an essential role in the overall plot (his betrayal then redemption etc). This never EVER happens in the inquisitor arc. All your companions do is sit on your ship, tell you where to go etc etc. You never feel like they actually make a difference or even matter. Forget the main story arc which is clearly better written and not stitched together in a disjointed fashion, the actual main character (you) feels *********** ****** with the Sith Warrior. Not only do you never need the help of some ***** ghosts to kill anyone, but by the end you are so powerful, you are literally second in command to only the Emperor himself. Even the Sith Council members are quivering at your presence by the end. And this isn't just to do with the ending and your subsequent rank of Wrath of the Emperor for the last 25% of the arc. Throughout the whole story you feel like a ****** because the arc builds so nicely to make you feel like an unstoppable death machine. You literally feel like the most powerful Sith in the galaxy. I NEVER FELT THAT AS THE INQUISITOR. I always felt like someone's *****, either a ghost or idiotic Sith Lords. Sure you could say that 75% of the warrior story is spent as Baras' *****. But at every turn you can show your defiance and disrespect, and at every turn you are reminded what a worthless fool Baras is without you (the conversation with Vengean sticks in my mind here).

In conclusion, Sith Inquisitor story really sucks compared to Sith Warrior story. Of course there will be devout Inquisitor's who will come on here and claim otherwise, but trust me if you play any other class watch both these stories and you'll get what I mean. Oh well, I guess I'm going back to my *********** nooby council member character who has done nothing to change the galaxy. Not like my Guildmate who is now Wrath of the Emperor and killed the Voice of the Emperor and now can do what the **** he wants in the galaxy.

I agree 100% with everything you said and this is why I am so grateful for being in beta as I had a chance to play a good portion of both stories and at release have focused on the SW. The SI is a really fun class mechanic wise, but the story was so lame to me I just couldn't stomach it.

Just to make a point, that cult does come into play again when you get to either belsavis or voss. Can't remember which.

For about 10 minutes. Because your cult of crazy street urchins has magically become the sole producer of the most awesomest computer chip in the galaxy. Somehow.

For about 10 minutes. Because your cult of crazy street urchins has magically become the sole producer of the most awesomest computer chip in the galaxy. Somehow.

and then they somehow had someone steal it from them. (what happened to the bloody assembly line? Someone steal it too?)

And somehow only the player can do anything about it

Edited by Karkais

You know at first I agreed with the OP. But then I got to thinking and the question here is really who is the more powerful Sith in the end.

Now think of it this way. Both of them are trying to earn the respect of the lords of the Sith so that one day they can join their ranks. But the Sith lords are all evil, lying, manipulative, psychotic, warmongers. Now who in there right mind would want to join a group of people like that? No one, that's who. So what really makes for a better Sith? The lunatic who was given respect right from the get go or the lunatic who had to earn it every step of the way?

Edited by ClayPeopleCry

I agree while playing a SW i felt more like a SI than playing my actual SI.

Yep, there was a hell of a lot more intrigue, subterfuge, and almost the feeling of 'spy vs spy' on my warrior. I was excited for playing the Inquisitor because I thought 'Hey! If this is the quest line for the Warrior, the Inquisitor must be even better!'

*Go through the quests on the Inquisitor*

... So I'm Indiana Jones with a lightsaber?

Best story I have played is the Bounty Hunter. The SIth Warrior kicks the *** of the Sith Inquisitor story. The Jedi Knight story is quite fun and what I would expect but I am only lv 19, from what I have seen the Jedi Consular is just as naff as the sith inquisitor, again from what I have seen only level 19.

I agree with most of the posts which say the SI was a complete let down there are a few good points but you have to play loads of naff story to get to them.

Edited by Izorii

SW story isn't just the best of them all, the voice actor of sith warrior has the best voice aswel.

SW has some funny conversations, such as tricking Baras' assassin droid to withdraw from his quest. The droid then calls Baras and asks him if its true that he must stop and Baras is like... omg no... then turns around and notices you... and hes like

You...

What furiates me the most is that they cant revamp the inquisitor story.. Its just not practical, with all the money spent on it. Its going to stay as is.. Which makes me both sad and furious.

They had REALLY better add some class-specific content to recompensate.

Yea, at this point all they can do is build on top of the crap. SO hopefully those that stuck it out and played through chapter 3 will get a nice chapter 4+.

I keep hearing people try to defend this class, like Zash is supposedly such and AMAZING character that she alone makes up for a total lack of characters, Or the ****** companions.

Oh yea my favorite: "all mmo quests are fetching quests..." Yea, but the main storyline shouldn't be compared to the everyday grind quests as being equal in storytelling.

I just wanted to scream at them "Zash is going to try and kill you, then Thanaton is going to try and kill you, then you get sick... the end, I just saved you 20+ ****-less hours of boring storyline where your character "wants to be a starship captain."

I think some Harlequin romance authors would laugh at the SI romance Dialogue.

The author they gave the story to was one of their most junior writers. I can't find anything notable that she published in the Star Wars universe (or the science fiction genre) before being given the SI story to write.

Class stories should have been done purely by the big-name, published writers in Bioware's employ.

Yea, at this point all they can do is build on top of the crap. SO hopefully those that stuck it out and played through chapter 3 will get a nice chapter 4+.

I keep hearing people try to defend this class, like Zash is supposedly such and AMAZING character that she alone makes up for a total lack of characters, Or the ****** companions.

Oh yea my favorite: "all mmo quests are fetching quests..." Yea, but the main storyline shouldn't be compared to the everyday grind quests as being equal in storytelling.

I just wanted to scream at them "Zash is going to try and kill you, then Thanaton is going to try and kill you, then you get sick... the end, I just saved you 20+ ****-less hours of boring storyline where your character "wants to be a starship captain."

I think some Harlequin romance authors would laugh at the SI romance Dialogue.

Yup when the nda was lifted all my internet friends where telling me how the SI story is rubbish and when the game was being developed that was the class I was planning to play first since bioware hyped it as the darth sidious fantasy. I thought korriban was alright but then soon as I hit DK i understood what my friends where talking about i told myself nooo it will get better I kept telling myself that until I hit 50 and finished the SI story it never did get better. :( The strange thing is that the SI has GREAT gameplay but a really sucky story. which is sad and what is even more sad is I made a sith warrior DS and I felt more like darth sidious than the class that was described as the darth sidious fantasy when the game was in development.

Edited by lokdron

At least you get to use your iconic ability (lightning) whereas we, as SW, constantly see how fun it is to push someone against a wall during a cutscene and then are left wondering how the **** to do it during actual gameplay.

Feels bad man.

But yeah, I watched almost entire SI storyline on youtube and the idea of fetching random artifacts and then chasing after ghosts to kill a guy who hates you "just because" stinks, especially seeing how SW's act 3 is basically

one big quest meant to ruin Baras' powerbase and kill him in the end. Hell, the feeling of your own significance you get when you pick option 2 at the end (when you tell the Dark Council to either obey or die at which point they bow like a bunch of *****es) is beyond epic. And then, as if it you weren't boss enough, you get the letter from Emperor's Hand saying that the Emperor is in a coma but wants to meet with you when he recovers and in order to preserve the Empire as it is, you have to viciously silence those that question Emperor's rule thus setting VERY fertile ground for the expansion.

I really look forward to seeing how the future expansion will expand the story.

Edited by gibmachine

Is "more powerful character" = "better story" for so many of you? Do you really enjoy being the chosen one who can beat already overpowered chracters with little effort?

Both SI and SW are supposed to be a little over 20 yers old, they are LARVAS compared to the Council, the Darth's, etc. Yet, the SI becomes a member of Council after around a year from being discovered as a force-sensitive, the JK kills the Emperor (the guy who could suck life from a planet, mind you) as a lvl 50 elite, the SW becomes the Wrath.. what? This is what I HATE about the Force-user classes. This Mary Sue feeling. Which is why I'm afraid to know what Biware can come up with to top all that..

I personally would like it this way:

SI start, SW middle part, SI end-ish.. and I hate the finals of both. Because of this munchkiness.

Sure Baras is 100 times cooler than Zash, but then Thanaton appears with all his Force-walking which makes the last quarter of SI more fun than "rawr, I'm butthurt and I hate Baras" part of SW.

Edited by Mechavomit

Is "more powerful character" = "better story" for so many of you? Do you really enjoy being the chosen one who can beat already overpowered chracters with little effort?

I'm not sure you read this thread. Sith are about the acquisition of power to achieve their goals. Intimidation, manipulation, politics, murder, corruption, etc. There is almost none of that in the Sith Inquisitor story, and the story was billed as being "Palpatine inspired."

It's not about how powerful each character is by the end but about what they do to get there in the first place. The SW actually plays the "Game of Sith" with Baras, and works via manipulation, cunning, and force to destroy Baras's power base and eventually to supplant Baras.

The SI is portrayed as largely inept without the help of his companions. He doesn't get to corrupt his light-side "apprentice," he doesn't do any cunning or manipulative skulduggery in his quest for power. He goes and collects some artifacts. His master tries to kill him. He bests his master.

Randomly, his master's former nemesis is given to him as an antagonist for act 2 and act 3. Thanaton doesn't really do much to inspire the SI to hate him or view him as a real nemesis. He spends the majority of act 2 and act 3 trying to fix the fact that he played Ghost Buster one too many times in Act 3, with Thanaton being an almost forgotten element for most of the story until the middle/end of Act 3.

I would have loved to see Bioware treat TOR like it was going to be a game with multiple expansions... I didn't want to see my character on the Dark Council at the end of the base game, because there's not a whole lot for him to do after that... he's pretty much at the pinnacle of power.

It's not about how powerful each character is by the end but about what they do to get there in the first place. The SW actually plays the "Game of Sith" with Baras, and works via manipulation, cunning, and force to destroy Baras's power base and eventually to supplant Baras.

Yes, I know, but through out the first two acts (depends a little on the choises, but the same overall) the SW is still someone who fetches stuff for Baras. That is why he was picked up in the first place. Which is normal, I guess, because that's how Sith roll. So he doesn't participate in any "games of Sith" until Baras decides to get rid of him (what a shocker). So you character insta changes his mind and goes all angry (totally understandable). But in my opinion, it's too weak. The only reasoning behind the last part of SW story is that he's mad because Baras used him and then just discarded him. That's human, that is not "the game of Sith", it's not power what your character wants, is revenge. So I see no quest for power here.

The SI is portrayed as largely inept without the help of his companions. He doesn't get to corrupt his light-side "apprentice," he doesn't do any cunning or manipulative skulduggery in his quest for power.

That's what I like about him. This little bit of comraddery he has with his companions. With the SW, all his companions are forced to work for him, weather they like or not. Exeptions are maybe Broonmark and Jaesa, but if you're dark side, Jaesa following you doesn't make any sense. Quinn and Pierce can't leave once they started, because it's their job now, Vette is a slave. SW doesn't feel connected to his companions, plus, they hate each other.

Edited by Mechavomit

Yes, I know, but through out the first two acts (depends a little on the choises, but the same overall) the SW is still someone who fetches stuff for Baras. That is why he was picked up in the first place. Which is normal, I guess, because that's how Sith roll. So he doesn't participate in any "games of Sith" until Baras decides to get rid of him (what a shocker). So you character insta changes his mind and goes all angry (totally understandable). But in my opinion, it's too weak. The only reasoning behind the last part of SW story is that he's mad because Baras used him and then just discarded him. That's human, that is not "the game of Sith", it's not power what your character wants, is revenge. So I see no quest for power here.

Wrong.

Prior to Act 3, the Warrior is working to eliminate compromised spies. Hunting down Jaesa and Nomen Karr and then dealing a vicious blow to the Republic by eliminating the heroes of the Republic. It finally comes to light that you're the last loose end Barras needs to tie up, in this he tries to kill you multiple times.

Act 3 is both a mixture of revenge and duty. The Warrior I played was in it to eliminate Barras. I had gone a route with RP that my character had begun to respect and become loyal to Barras, mostly encouraged by Jaesa's promise to never seek to kill my character.

Then with the betrayal, it's sort of a moment of spite and all. Not to mention the fact you are now going to be hunting him for his false claims as the Voice of the Emperor.

Of -course- there are going to be personal goals in it, personal motivation, etc.

Also, the Emperor isn't killed by the Knight. The Voice of the Emperor is.

I heard a rumor that the person who wrote the SI story left bioware to finish college if this is true lets just hope the new writer is better. >_> I even have to say that the BH story is better than the SI one.

LOL LOL LOL I can't stop laughing from this! Why would Bioware get some person who didn't even finish college to write this! Did they run out of money LMAO were they on a budget this is just too funny!

The author they gave the story to was one of their most junior writers. I can't find anything notable that she published in the Star Wars universe (or the science fiction genre) before being given the SI story to write.

Class stories should have been done purely by the big-name, published writers in Bioware's employ.

I just don't understand LMAO why would they get someone like that to write out what would arguably be the most popular class?!?! The quality of their work shows