BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

Sadly Blizzard is the one publisher than really can't, just yet. There are only so many MMO subscribers and WoW still has a huge chunk of them. If Blizzard's new SW MMO was successful, it would come right from WoW's profits.

(At that point SWTOR would have already ended because there's only 1 SW MMO license at a time)

Edited by DarthBloodloss

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you think it is hate, or lack of understanding why the class is underperforming? or perhaps, they have no idea how to balance the class without fear of making it completely OP.

A complete lack of understanding. The average dev isn't going to have nearly the skill levels of the top pvp players. Not even close. And at the lower skill levels, the Merc/Commando is great. Easy to pilot, easy to do target acquistion, low penalties for blowing up your resource stack, too slow to need to learn how to plan out quick surprise moves, no utility so you don't need to do anything but pew, pew. In a battle amongst and vs. low skill players, the Merc/Commando does really well. So it is not surprising that the average dev thinks Merc/Commandos are just fine.

Now add in BW's ingame stat collection system and those metrics will just continue to reinforce the devs mindset that Merc/Commando is very strong.

You may see a minor boost to JetBoost in 1.7. Something like having it remove movement impairing effects and provide a 30% sprint ability for 2 seconds. That's it folks. Oh, and maybe some more nerfs to your damage output since BW thinks you do too much damage.

A complete lack of understanding. The average dev isn't going to have nearly the skill levels of the top pvp players. Not even close. And at the lower skill levels, the Merc/Commando is great. Easy to pilot, easy to do target acquistion, low penalties for blowing up your resource stack, too slow to need to learn how to plan out quick surprise moves, no utility so you don't need to do anything but pew, pew. In a battle amongst and vs. low skill players, the Merc/Commando does really well. So it is not surprising that the average dev thinks Merc/Commandos are just fine.

Now add in BW's ingame stat collection system and those metrics will just continue to reinforce the devs mindset that Merc/Commando is very strong.

You may see a minor boost to JetBoost in 1.7. Something like having it remove movement impairing effects and provide a 30% sprint ability for 2 seconds. That's it folks. Oh, and maybe some more nerfs to your damage output since BW thinks you do too much damage.

As Spock would say, you speak the truth.

I'm honestly impressed by the sheer amount of assumptions you've jammed into one post. So how long have you been working for Bioware again?

I'm honestly impressed by the sheer amount of assumptions you've jammed into one post. So how long have you been working for Bioware again?

Are you seriously doubting that the devs have said they think Mercs are OK? Are you seriously doubting that the devs use their ingame stat collection system for game (im)balancing purposes? If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck. We are now a full year into this game, people have paid over $200 in real money to BW and BW has yet to deliver a viable Merc dps for PvP. That is a FAIL. No amount of pretending that BW has good intentions about Merc dps makes up for that even IF they actually have/had good intentions. Which most people do seriously doubt.

im willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they had good intentions. i dont really buy into the conspiracy that the devs hate Merc.

its far more likely that they just dont understand why Merc sucks in a competitive environment. the change to Rocket Punch is highly evident of that. we ask for a root to be added onto the knockback; they give us a root and remove the knockback :rolleyes:

until they are willing to admit that, and engage with us in a real discussion on what Merc needs to be competitive, we probably arent going anywhere

Sadly I think you are pretty on point here. It seems to be this way for all of the healing class dps trees. Not to merc healing is competitive either, but at least it can be used if in skilled hands :(

You have a point. If you are really good, a mercenary is good. But we are much less versatile than other classes. I think most of us mercs/commandos can agree we can dispatch most classes 1 on 1 short of a guardian/juggernaut tanker. But with PvP, its almost never one on one, because we fight in groups. How often are you close to killing a foe when another player jumps to their rescue. On one or two occasions i have killed two players attacking me at once, but only when one was previously damaged and i can get a concussion missile on the other one to hold them off. We can get stagglers, but we have to become a serious dps class that can be in a serious multiplayer fight rather than picking off a lone player on the edge of a map.

You have a point. If you are really good, a mercenary is good. But we are much less versatile than other classes. I think most of us mercs/commandos can agree we can dispatch most classes 1 on 1 short of a guardian/juggernaut tanker. But with PvP, its almost never one on one, because we fight in groups. How often are you close to killing a foe when another player jumps to their rescue. On one or two occasions i have killed two players attacking me at once, but only when one was previously damaged and i can get a concussion missile on the other one to hold them off. We can get stagglers, but we have to become a serious dps class that can be in a serious multiplayer fight rather than picking off a lone player on the edge of a map.

only classes you can 1v1 as pyro/assault are gunslinger/snipers. Possible ops/scounrdels but only if you can bust them out of stealth before they get their jump on you and can keep your distance from them. Vengence juggs/ and their pub mirror, again only if you can get away from them after they leap on you.

Gunnery/Arsenal have more of a fighting chance if they just plant their feet and face tank anyone in 1v1 (except snipers/gunslingers, inquis and pyro/arsenal mercs/mando)

Not. giving. up.

i think i am :(

after not playing for almost 2 weeks, and trying out a couple other games, i'm already over it.

i do love the "simplicity" of the combat system, stats, and flow...

but, i've been running the same dailies, the same FP's, and same WZ's for about a year now with Merc.

i can't take any more abuse, frustration, and disappointment.

*EDIT* SUBSCRIPTION CANCELLED

Edited by T-Assassin

Hi everyone! I talked to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Commandos and Mercenaries and their situation in PvP right now, and he had this to say:

I think it's fair to say that Mercenaries and Commandos have escape issues. Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners, but a lot of that "escapability" falls aside when attacked by multiple melee enemies, at which point they just aren't quite tough enough to sustain without further escapes. We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP.

I want to see a Dev be," hard to catch" , in a 1v1 situation. It's comments like these that give us the impression that there's a disconnection between them and the actual pvp environment they're supposed to manage.

Edited by Sowwy

i think i am :(

after not playing for almost 2 weeks, and trying out a couple other games, i'm already over it.

i do love the "simplicity" of the combat system, stats, and flow...

but, i've been running the same dailies, the same FP's, and same WZ's for about a year now with Merc.

i can't take any more abuse, frustration, and disappointment.

*EDIT* SUBSCRIPTION CANCELLED

I'm waiting till 1.7 before I cancel anything. Hopefully with the reopening of Illum mandos and mercs will get the loving that they so desperately need.

If they don't, well, it'll give me a better excuse to start hitting the gym again.

I'm waiting till 1.7 before I cancel anything. Hopefully with the reopening of Illum mandos and mercs will get the loving that they so desperately need.

If they don't, well, it'll give me a better excuse to start hitting the gym again.

-Sigh- I'm in the same boat pal. Just like the previous poster wrote, I am also at my limit! Patch 1.7 will be the last chance for BW to balance this game for comando/merc. I have both of them and honestly, it's quite frustrating pvping.

just got my powertech to 50, and move most of my gear from my merc

even using Recruit mainhand/offhand, i am killing it. what i am doing on my Powertech takes a crapload of effort, and finger master skills, on my merc

its nice to not play a gimped class for once tho

It's ok guys, class balance is fine. Rob Hinkle said so.

*pffff*

hehehe

kuhkuhkuh

ohohohohohoh

hihihihihihihihihihihi

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Hey, Robby, come face me with your FULL ELITE WAR HERO GEARED merc against my RECRUIT MK2 Powertech/Maraudeur if you want a good laugh.

Edited by yoomazir

just got my powertech to 50, and move most of my gear from my merc

even using Recruit mainhand/offhand, i am killing it. what i am doing on my Powertech takes a crapload of effort, and finger master skills, on my merc

its nice to not play a gimped class for once tho

i made a vanguard and im only lvl 13 and in pvp its just....sad how stupid op i am

i made a vanguard and im only lvl 13 and in pvp its just....sad how stupid op i am

like i said before...night and day.

and its the SHARED tree!!!!

this game's balance, PvP especially, is in complete disarray. the lack of acknowledgement, in fact the comment stating quite the opposite, was the straw for me.

i've stayed around entirely too long. 9+ months of imbalanced Mercs and many forums post attempting to help solve the issue...

nothing...nothing.

quite the opposite, in fact.

i'm not gonna pay to get buttf**ked and ignored, any more.

Edited by T-Assassin

like i said before...night and day.

and its the SHARED tree!!!!

this game's balance, PvP especially, is in complete disarray. the lack of acknowledgement, in fact the comment stating quite the opposite, was the straw for me.

i've stayed around entirely too long. 9+ months of imbalanced Mercs and many forums post attempting to help solve the issue...

nothing...nothing.

quite the opposite, in fact.

i'm not gonna pay to get buttf**ked and ignored, any more.

i feel ya. but im gonna ride the powertech high for a bit. I HIT A RAILSHOT FOR 5k ZOMGZ :eek:

but yeah its a faceroll spec for sure. and nothing can stop me. its great lol