Suggestions for a New Headset?

Mirdthestrill

Hey!

I'm in need of a new headset for my computer, and I thought I'd solicit advice from my fellow forumites. I currently have this one, but I'm hesitant to purchase another one, as on the first pair, the left ear stopped working after less than 3 months. Other than that, I'm completely happy with it, but I don't want to buy a product that breaks that quickly.

So, here are my must-haves:

Over the ear cushions- the ones that sit on top of your ears are really uncomfortable for me.

Includes mic- I'm not a hardcore raider or anything, but my guild occasionally uses Mumble, and I like to join in.

Under $40 US- I'd be willing to go up to 50 for something really special, but I'm not looking to spend a lot of money here.

Reasonably durable- I'm not going to use it super hard, but I am going to use it a lot, and I'd like it to last at least a year. Warranties are great too.

Decent audio quality- This is really subjective, but at minimum, I'd like to be able to play TOR, listen to music, etc. without constant static, weird distortions, etc.

Nice to have, but not necessary:

Nice audio quality- A plus, but I'm not going to be mixing music or anything, so I don't need something amazing

Moderately noise-canceling- I'm in college, so it would be nice to have a little buffer between myself and whatever else is going on. Not too much, though, since I don't want to be completely deaf

Adjustable- both top band and mic placement

Separate volume control from the main computer- I've had this on previous headsets, and it's really nice

Don't really care about:

Positional audio- I wouldn't say no, but I'd probably have to get something significantly more expensive for it to be worth having and I've lived without it for years

Big, booming bass- again, lived without it for years and don't want to spend a ton of money just for that

Appearance- nobody in-game can see me with it on, and I don't think my roommate will care.

Cord length- I'm mostly going to be using it with a laptop anyway

Name brand- I only care if it works

I hope I'm not asking for too much, but if anyone could help me out, or at least give me feedback on specific models, I'd appreciate it :)

Hmm, I'm currently using the Raptor HS40 but it's slightly above the budget you mentioned.

Though you might get lucky and find it somewhere cheaper than the price on the manufacturer's site.

I believe it's got all the things you want, and it's served me pretty well over the last year since I've bought it.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm using these

GAMDIAS EROS USB Connector Circumaural Surround Sound Gaming Headset

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826374007

they have good (not perfect) sound music +game audio is no problem you won't get better sound without spending like 100$+

they are comfortable to wear for hours on end

and the mic is loud and clear (tho i haven't tested if it picks up background noise)

also very light

only real downside is they are about 10-15$ over your price range